• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
More at the link: https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-spot...look-up-to-cloud-for-game-services-1529572643

Capcom, based in Osaka, released a cloud version of its "Resident Evil 7" for the Switch game machine in Japan last month, charging about $18 for 180 days of access compared with as much as $50 for those who download the game for other devices.

Capcom is looking at what other titles to include in their cloud service.

...[Capcom] is looking at other titles to include in its cloud service, people with direct knowledge of the matter at Capcom said. It isn't clear which titles will be released or when.

A Capcom spokeswoman said the company would decide whether to expand its cloud offerings after assessing the performance of the "Resident Evil 7" Switch version.

The quality of the service.

Some players of the cloud version of Capcom's "Resident Evil 7" have said the gameplay quality is jerky.

Companies are betting on 5G to address issues with cloud gaming.

Engineers say the issue generally lies in inadequate internet connections on the consumers' side, especially if they are sharing a connection with neighbors in an apartment complex. The industry is betting that next-generation wireless technology, often referred to as fifth-generation or 5G, will address the problem with faster and more-reliable internet access.

Analyst's expectations on cloud gaming.

Analysts said game makers are likely to release their major titles first as packaged or downloaded software for purchase at a higher price, and then make them available over the cloud later. Software publishers hunting for larger audiences can use this "post-launch monetization" to reduce reliance on initial sales, said Piers Harding-Rolls, an analyst at research firm IHS Markit .

Nintendo declined to comment:
Still, it isn't clear how much support the idea would gain from Nintendo because the Kyoto-based company tends to take a conservative approach to any technology that isn't ready for the mass market, including virtual reality. Also, cloud gaming goes against the Switch's key concept of "play anytime, anywhere, with anyone" because it requires the device to be connected continuously to the internet. Nintendo declined to comment.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fear that they will try this with REmake 2. I would gladly take downgrades for the convenience of not having a streamed game.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was happy until the word cloud. I get that the Switch isn't a powerhouse, but I don't feel that this will be the solution anyone outside Japan will feel happy with.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo shouldn't have listened to Capcom "please add more RAM so we port RE Engine" "here's RE Engine streamed because lol"

Those will probably stay JP exclusive if it happens anyway.

Oct 30, 2017
I guess it works for online focused games. As you need a online connection at all times to play anyways. Monster Hunter World is actually perfect for this. Although not a full on online game it's the closest thing Capcom has.

If Cloud gaming takes off in handhelds. I can easily see Sony and Microsoft releasing streaming games on tablets and smartphones (which is already happening) but I can see them releasing dedicated streaming portable systems with controls intergrated. They can sell these systems for cheap as they won't have any powerful chips inside, just a chip powerful to decode and endocrine video streams and a good WiFi chip.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I'm thinking of Monster Hunter World right now. Not that I 100% trust Liam Robertson (I don't even like him), but he has heard about Capcom thinking about how to port MH World to the Switch.
This could work.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
gimmie old Capcom arcade games. If I wanted jank versions of new games, I'd buy them on my terrible laptop.

But also if you can get RE7 running, more power to you.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
They rather fund some downports from Panic Button, Iron Galaxy or Tantalus instead of dishing more money in a (so far) Japan exclusive cloud service.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Looks like this is going to be the extent of Capcom's support for the console going forward. As someone who doesn't have the 'Internet of the future, today!' any cloud games coming to the Switch might as well not even be on the console. It's such a shame because their RE Engine seems incredibly scalable yet, outside of the PSVR version of VII, they're not making any use of it and instead opting to shove all their resources into high-end development.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they explicitly say they got the RE engine running on Switch pretty early on?

I'm curious why they're so adamant about avoiding actually porting those games to the hardware.

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like this is going to be the extent of Capcom's support for the console going forward. As someone who doesn't have the 'Internet of the future, today!' any cloud games coming to the Switch might as well not even be on the console. It's such a shame because their RE Engine seems incredibly scalable yet, outside of the PSVR version of VII, they're not making any use of it and instead opting to shove all their resources into high-end development.

DMC 5 and RE2 are using RE ENGINE, how they are not using it?

not_swift

May 2, 2018
I still dont see how cloud gaming in general will work. Engineering away input lag is well pretty difficult thanks to the speed of light. Input lag just makes games less fun and annoying to play.

Daschiel

Oct 28, 2017
If it's for Japan only again the forget it Capcom. I rather they give us those onrail shooter games again. I'm sure they would be perfect for the Joy Con controllers. While they are at it put them on PSN and Live too!!

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Didn't they explicitly say they got the RE engine running on Switch pretty early on?

I'm curious why they're so adamant about avoiding actually porting those games to the hardware.

Well I'm assuming that Revelations 2 is in that engine and although it was fine, it was behind the other versions considerably(aside from the Vita)

JoDa

Jan 12, 2018
While y'all complaining I'm actually kinda happy at least someone is trying to push this idea forward, just for the sake of innovation. Whether you think this is the future or not I think it is worth working and researching about it regardless

Plum

May 31, 2018
While y'all complaining I'm actually kinda happy at least someone is trying to push this idea forward, just for the sake of innovation. Whether you think this is the future or not I think it is worth working and researching about it regardless

People are unhappy because this seems to what Capcom will use to support the Switch from now on. If this were simply an option alongside a native port to the Switch I don't think anyone would care as they would have a choice between "1080p 60fps Streamed" or "600p 30fps Native".

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
That is great news. It's better to have a streamed version of a game than nothing and a streamed version is better than a severely downgraded version. Based on feedback I read the streamed version run great as long as you were not trying to play it from an unsupported location.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
I don' see what's amazing about that:
- Basically impossible to use on the go
- additional latency through the internet
- expensive
- you have no rights over the game whatsoever / cannot keep it

Streaming is the worst, but for a handheld device it is even worse.

- Getting games on the system that'd otherwise be impossible
- See above
- Actually cheaper (???)
- See above

Cool!

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Capcom still treating the Switch as some platform for tests I see.
Such a shame.

Plum

May 31, 2018
That is great news. It's better to have a streamed version of a game than nothing and a streamed version is better than a severely downgraded version. Based on feedback I read the streamed version run great as long as you were not trying to play it from an unsupported location.

A streamed version is only better than a downgraded version when you can play it comfortably which, in most countries, is a rare occurrence outside of your own home. In most Western countries a streamed game on Switch might as well be no game on Switch because it's nigh-on impossible to play it comfortably whilst portable.

- Getting games on the system that'd otherwise be impossible

Got any source on that?

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
Got any source on that?

It's not cheaper because you don't own it. As far as ports being impossible I certainly beg to differ. Capcom certainly doesn't want to try, I'll give you that.

There are not many games that couldn't possibly be realised (with a hit on graphics) on the Switch. I cannot think of a single instance for a Capcom game.

Sorry guys, I'm confused, is the narrative now that the Switch is as powerful as XBO and PS4 Pro and would run the RE2 remake if it weren't for mean old Capcom shutting down their young employees from attempting to do so??

As for your pricing issues, I think you'd find that Gary Gamer would much rather pay $18 for $180 days than $60 for a lifetime.

Mar 23, 2018
Not even the original Resident Evil Remake. Holy shit LMAO. They seemed to be the most vocal third party about Switch's specs, which is why this is so hilarious. I mean, it is not for Switch owners, but Capcom's decisions over the platform; they could port any of their recent games to the system and it would turn into profit. Probably even MvsC:I

Plum

May 31, 2018
Sorry guys, I'm confused, is the narrative now that the Switch is as powerful as XBO and PS4 Pro and would run the RE2 remake?

Of course you're confused when you're putting words into people's mouths. Nobody is saying the Switch is as powerful as the XB1X or PS4 Pro, they're saying that there's no good reason to suggest that the RE Engine, which can run on PSVR and the GPD Win 2, would be impossible to run on the Switch.

EDIT: I would have brought up the fact that Switch can run DOOM and Wolfenstien 2 but it's clear those have been moved into the "don't count" pile of Switch benchmarks (alongside every other one).

Last edited:

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom to Nintendo: Get out of the Industry already.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud games are pretty limiting, especially due to internet infrastructure around the world. Doesn't seem like a worthwhile endeavor to me, but maybe they got modest results out of RE7:Cloud.

These products will assuredly never touch the west because of these infrastructure differences. I would take more game ports over no product in my region.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Put RE4 on the Switch only in this format for maximum lols.

Edit: oh and I see Ranrir is back and completely unchanged...

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
I was really upset last year when Capcom's Switch support was basically just Street Fighter II. Since then they have released Revelations 1+2, Megaman collections, and soon Monster Hunter/Okami.

..it's a start I guess? This is presumably the best they can do for the limited time they had considering their late dedication. I expect more ports to be announced once Okami is out. (Please bring remake 1 and RE4)

Edit: Forgot the street fighter collection

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a way I'd want to play the games but if there is no other way for these players to have access to these games, can't really fault Capcom.