• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i've never used a hitbox but i imagine doing a 360 on a hitbox is harder than doing it on a stick?

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Are all hitboxes banned? I don't see what Daigo's hitbox has over a regular one that gives him an advantage. If it has SOCD, it's ok.

i've never used a hitbox but i imagine doing a 360 on a hitbox is harder than doing it on a stick?

360 is easy. Like with a stick, you don't have to complete the full circle, right>down>left>up is enough. Don't know about a 720 because my hitbox has a WASD shape so it's not so easy for me, but I never play grapplers so I'm fine. Could be easier on a real hitbox.

Last edited:

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Tough decision, but the right one imo. It's not uncommon for aesthetics to be carefully considered in spectator sports. It's entertainment, after all.

Of course, I think this has more to do with aesthetics then a competitive advantage.

What do you mean by "aesthetics" here? This isn't a broad hitbox ban, it's a ban of a specific type of custom hitbox.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
The closest PC gaming analogue would be mapping Jump to scroll wheel for bhop. This ruling is wack.

And Street Fighter V itself reads Left+Right as Forward, relative to character orientation, by default.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda get why they did it. If they allowed modified controllers, how can you not be sure a player has something built in to give an unfair advantage?

What? Everyone at tourney uses modified controller to suit their playstyle. As long as it doesn't have turbo or macro enabled its fine. Is Capcom also going to ban people with optical joysticks or Cherry MX buttons?

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
If Daigo's box still scrubs inputs and doesn't allow for weird option selects, then I don't see how that's different from playing on a keyboard, which some people do.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
Bow down to the power of the hitbox.

Now Daigo approved.
I kinda want a Daigo approved sticker to put on my hitbox now lol

It's definitely harder imo. After using a hitbox for ~4 years I've never gotten good at doing it consistently, but tbf none of the characters I play use 360s

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I think it's fair to ban it since it can literally do something different than all the other controllers available. It's like an unintended maneuver the devs didn't account for.

Actually now I'm thinking of someone playing on a keyboard..... Couldn't they do the same thing?

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
quite literally a keyboard in a box with ergonomically button placement so that its able to be handled like a stick. the poor mans version of a hitbox is just some rando usb keyboard and learning to play fg on that

hitbox-ps360-sample.jpg
All controllers should be allowed as long as they don't use turbo buttons or macros. I don't agree with the ban.

Imagine an arcade stick but the stick itself is replaced by 4 buttons which are being used for up/down/left/right
oh wow, never seen or heard of that before

thx!

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Hitboxes don't use macros though, it's just mapping every input to individual buttons.

It's hard to make a parallel to FPS, since it already uses a keyboard, but I guess it'd be like if someone bound jump to a foot paddle, rather than the space bar.
Ah ok.. I misunderstood what the device does..thanks for the clarification.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
about comfort not being grounds for a ban.. i disagree to a blanket statement like that. comfort / discomfort can be the reason why you utilize tech or not. if shits uncomfortable you may hesitate to go for it out of fear of messing up / not getting the hand in the right positioning etc. whereas you would be stupid to not utilize tech that is absolutely free and easy to do on your type of input method

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
The closest PC gaming analogue would be mapping Jump to scroll wheel for bhop. This ruling is wack.

And Street Fighter V itself reads Left+Right as Forward, relative to character orientation, by default.

This particular custom hitbox does not work that way, it goes with the last button pressed. So SFV gets that input information.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Hitboxes seem so cool, as someone who played fighting games on a keyboard.

Shame that Capcom got spooked.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
It's definitely harder imo. After using a hitbox for ~4 years I've never gotten good at doing it consistently, but tbf none of the characters I play use 360s

Really? I also almost never play grapplers but I think it might be even easier, it's quicker to input right>down>left>up than do a motion with a stick. I mean, I never had a problem with that input and I use a WASD shape hitbox, works 100% of the time.

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend reading the Kotaku article. They explain the issues pretty well there - including a hit box's advantages.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hitboxes seem so cool, as someone who played fighting games on a keyboard.

Shame that Capcom got spooked.
capcom has known them for years tho. i mean they are at every tournament and wasn't there a mahvel infinite player on hitbox that won a tourney or something? as others pointed out this is more about the super custom version that daigo uses

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Why not ban all hitboxes then?
Daigo has a hardware mod to circumvent the way the game handles simultaneous left right and up down inputs.

Yeah, this input where hold left, tap right = right instead of neutral is cheating IMO. most fighting games are programmed or should be especially now that -x and +x axis simultaneously = 0. Using hardware to circumvent is banned. Has been with any controller.

Hitbox/keyboard already has advantage of less time to go left to right, why even do this?

This is not like a in game button macro for easy 2 button dashes. This is like an extra button only you have for easy 2 button dashes.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the first time so this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Daigo will deal with an arcade stick he's spent the last few decades playing with. He'll be fine.

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
There's always that one guy that rocks up with a keyboard, and you all secretly want to see him win.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
This particular custom hitbox does not work that way, it goes with the last button pressed. So SFV gets that input information.

In practice, there is no difference between getting the last button pressed in SFV vs just getting relative forward. You'd be able to do many of the same things with both methods (some of them, Pad players are already using).

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I don't agree with it but after seeing them at tekken or soul cali it tournies I can see why capcom has gone this route. Sucks their lack of just limiting input is preventing a superior method from being demonstrated.

My beef as usual is another input method has shown standard controllers to be shit for a genere and the industry blames the better tech instead of fixing the standard one. this irks me for fighters cause most of the community knows if you use an input what results you get are on you.

We won't get better gamepads in these areas despite the inflated cost of devices that can't cant do the job all that well in a lot of known genres.

I was gonna make one myself for 80$ just been invested in other things.

Eggs you can make the parallel to kb&m it really is superior to even sticks if you can adjust.

The adder said the best line in the thread and to come it's a trumped up execution barrier ban.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I'd much prefer hitboxes. Takes less time to better nail advanced inputs. Even with the most advanced craftsmanship, joysticks can't be 100% reliable.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
In practice, there is no difference between getting the last button pressed in SFV vs just getting relative forward. You'd be able to do many of the same things with both methods (some of them, Pad players are already using).
Correct BUT the issue is this is a hardware mod and that's banned. This is not a Hitbox ban or Hitbox is too good.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Oh, so you don't need neutral with Daigo's hitbox after charging? I get the ban now, but it's still not that big of an advantage over a regular hitbox, the time added between letting down and pressing up is almost nonexistant.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017

Is anyone doing on a pad what Daigo is doing with flashkicks on his Gafro box? Show me a clip. If that's the case this ruling is indeed wack.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
Really? I also almost never play grapplers but I think it might be even easier, it's quicker to input right>down>left>up than do a motion with a stick. I mean, I never had a problem with that input and I use a WASD shape hitbox, works 100% of the time.
Yeah i dunno may just be a weird personal hangup cuz literally every other kind of input comes out smoothly for me.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with it but after seeing them at tekken or soul cali it tournies I can see why capcom has gone this route. Sucks their lack of just limiting input is preventing a superior method from being demonstrated.

My beef as usual is another input method has shown standard controllers to be shit for a genere and the industry blames the better tech instead of fixing the standard one. this irks me for fighters cause most of the community knows if you use an input what results you get are on you.

We won't get better gamepads in these areas despite the inflated cost of devices that can't cant do the job all that well in a lot of known genres.

I was gonna make one myself for 80$ just been invested in other things.

Eggs you can make the parallel to kb&m it really is superior to even sticks if you can adjust.

The adder said the best line in the thread and to come it's a trumped up execution barrier ban.
It's not a ban on all hitboxes, just Daigo's custom one. It doesn't function like a regular hitbox does.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
What do you mean by "aesthetics" here? This isn't a broad hitbox ban, it's a ban of a specific type of custom hitbox.

Oh I think a lot of people don't like the idea of this new style controller supplanting the iconic arcade stick. I think until right this critical moment the two sides of the argument have been that it's either just another controller, or it's something that is like a joystick but better.

It's really no different than the keyboard, though, so I don't know about the reason being that it's a competitive advantage. It really is just another controller.

and even though people play on all kinds of different controllers now, I think that classic arcade stick is emblematic of all fighting game history. If the hitbox really is better, and daigo is going to endorce it this way, there may be a concern that joysticks or perhaps even other kinds of traditional controllers would fall by the wayside.

So my logic that is it the keyboards okay, they are really only concerned about the hitbox getting too popular simply because a lot of people think it's ugly, or some kind of bastardization of classic controllers, or something like that.

While this decision only apply for this event, I think it shows that they at least one more time to think about this, and have erred on the side of banning it. They may have to ban keyboards as well to make it more logical.

I happen to agree with it. I've seen good examples of this consideration that. Take for example formula one. One season, the constructors had a great idea to stick little post on the cars that went straight up from about where your side mirror would normally be. so these things stick straight up right to the top of the regulation height for the car, and they stick Little wings on these things that go out sideways they're trying to get more wing surface area while not breaking the rules. And they're not breaking the rules. They called them x-wings oh, and everyone decided they were hideous so they were banned. They were only used because everyone else would be using them as long as they were allowed. It added nothing to the competition and the fans hated looking at it. This was a good ruling.

fast forward years later in the same sport, and they come up with this sort of roll cage around the cars that they call a Halo. Fans and spectators also hate halos. Because halos look hideous. But Halo save lives, so they are not just allowed to stay but mandated. This was also a good ruling.

That's my take.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
This has got me peeked. I'm not informed on sticks to know something like that. What makes his stick superior to another hitbox like controller?

While charging down, you can press up without letting down button. With regular hitbox, you need to let down because there has to be a neutral input between down and up.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah capcom probably feels they'd have to rebalance the whole dang game around these controllers if they have exclusive tech like this.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I think a lot of people don't like the idea of this new style controller supplanting the iconic arcade stick. I think until right this critical moment the two sides of the argument have been that it's either just another controller, or it's something that is like a joystick but better.

It's really no different than the keyboard, though, so I don't know about the reason being that it's a competitive advantage. It really is just another controller.

and even though people play on all kinds of different controllers now, I think that classic arcade stick is emblematic of all fighting game history. If the hitbox really is better, and daigo is going to endorce it this way, there may be a concern that joysticks or perhaps even other kinds of traditional controllers would fall by the wayside.

So my logic that is it the keyboards okay, they are really only concerned about the hitbox getting too popular simply because a lot of people think it's ugly, or some kind of bastardization of classic controllers, or something like that.

While this decision only apply for this event, I think it shows that they at least one more time to think about this, and have erred on the side of banning it. They may have to ban keyboards as well to make it more logical.

I happen to agree with it. I've seen good examples of this consideration that. Take for example formula one. One season, the constructors had a great idea to stick little post on the cars that went straight up from about where your side mirror would normally be. so these things stick straight up right to the top of the regulation height for the car, and they stick Little wings on these things that go out sideways they're trying to get more wing surface area while not breaking the rules. And they're not breaking the rules. They called them x-wings oh, and everyone decided they were hideous so they were banned. They were only used because everyone else would be using them as long as they were allowed. It added nothing to the competition and the fans hated looking at it. This was a good ruling.

fast forward years later in the same sport, and they come up with this sort of roll cage around the cars that they call a Halo. Fans and spectators also hate halos. Because halos look hideous. But Halo save lives, so they are not just allowed to stay but mandated. This was also a good ruling.

That's my take.
You're spinning elaborate theories but the reasoning for this particular hitbox being banned and not other ones is all laid out. Nobody is worried about the aesthetics, hitboxes have been in use for a long time. It's the specifics of input handling that is drawing a critical eye.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
This has got me peeked. I'm not informed on sticks to know something like that. What makes his stick superior to another hitbox like controller?

"Due to this method, Daigo can, for example, perform a Sonic Boom command with Guile (charge back for a few frames and then press forward and a punch button) without ever releasing the backwards input, allowing him to return to charging for a follow-up Sonic Boom immediately."

demondance

Oct 27, 2017

This is about banning a particular SOCD method. Hitboxes regularly appear at fighting game events and will continue to.