• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Daigo has a hardware mod to circumvent the way the game handles simultaneous left right and up down inputs.

There's precedent for that sort of ban from last-gen. Someone had a custom stick to get left--right block and that got banned. MVC3 I believe.

Question is how will they handle folks who don't advertise they have something like that, and just use it sneakily when needed?

At this point I'd say just standard sticks or standard pads should be legal (stuff like Fighting Commanders would be standard)- nothing with modded extra stuff outside of converters to be used on multiple pieces of hardware.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone should have to use standard controllers in tournaments, but that's just my opinion.

I'd rather have the best player win on merits and not input restrictions or worse bad gamepad designs that favor those spending time on the input. Most gamepads are crap in quality or taking inputs be it digital or analog inputs.

"Due to this method, Daigo can, for example, perform a Sonic Boom command with Guile (charge back for a few frames and then press forward and a punch button) without ever releasing the backwards input, allowing him to return to charging for a follow-up Sonic Boom immediately."

This makes me miffed considering how inputs are handled in other games in the genre or outside of it.

Thx for the explanation link these kinds of sticks are like magic for me and knowing more makes me excited.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
You're spinning elaborate theories but the reasoning for this particular hitbox being banned and not other ones is all laid out. Nobody is worried about the aesthetics, hitboxes have been in use for a long time. It's the specifics of input handling that is drawing a critical eye.

Hey it is just a theory but it's not an elaborate one.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
This has got me peeked. I'm not informed on sticks to know something like that. What makes his stick superior to another hitbox like controller?
Brook/IST PS3/PS4 PCBs and Brook Universal Fighting Board are good PCBs to use for hitbox that will cover the current most popular consoles. These boards also have built in SOCD cleaners. Most modern hitboxes have a SOCD cleaner (this removes Simultaneous Opposite Cardinal Directions - ie. you can't press up and down at the same time)

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have the best player win on merits and not input restrictions or worse bad gamepad designs that favor those spending time on the input. Most gamepads are crap in quality or taking inputs be it digital or analog inputs.

This makes me miffed considering how inputs are handled in other games in the genre or outside of it.

Thx for the explanation link these kinds of sticks are like magic for me and knowing more makes me excited.
Hitboxes are indeed an all-round better input device than fightsticks imo, but clearly some standards need to be upheld.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
There's precedent for that sort of ban from last-gen. Someone had a custom stick to get left--right block and that got banned. MVC3 I believe.

Question is how will they handle folks who don't advertise they have something like that, and just use it sneakily when needed?

At this point I'd say just standard sticks or standard pads should be legal (stuff like Fighting Commanders would be standard)- nothing with modded extra stuff outside of converters to be used on multiple pieces of hardware.

Custom sticks are well ingrained into the scene, going back to custom MAS sticks. I really don't see them going away outside of edge cases like how the Brooks Audio PCB allows for these cheesy inputs on a hitbox config.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

The way they do this in motorsports is that someone suspected of using cheats with their equipment can be subject to a teardown.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017

There's been precedent. If the was no in game macro setting, people could wire 2 inputs to 1 button or programmable pad etc. like a tool assisted. The ban has always existed.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Capcom should just make everyone use one of these:

capcom-home-arcade-3.jpg

Level the playing field. :)

Oct 28, 2017
It's not that Hitbox is banned. It's that Daigo's particular Hitbox has modifications that are beyond the standard.

Read this for more info: https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFigh...fication_on_daigos_hitbox_socds_and_hitboxes/

It's really his fault for trying to get along with this. Regular Hitbox isn't banned.

I'm not seeing any differences here. The only thing that matters is whether it has a SOCD cleaner or not (and it does), and even that doesn't matter in modern fighters.

Hitboxes are a straight up advantage. There's no denying it. It applies to any 2D fighter and it applies to games like Tekken as well.

Nothing in there you cant do with dpad + analog stick.

Except for, y'know, the main benefit of the hitbox - which is pianoing directions.

Last edited:

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
It has an SOCD cleaner. The behavior of the SOCD cleaner is left+right = whatever the last input was. Down+Up = Up, always.
I have no access to SFV and I didn't play enough on keyboard to tell but I don't think this is standard behavior. 100s of hitbox users never banned, Daigo's socd is not standard.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Hitboxes are indeed an all-round better input device than fightsticks imo, but clearly some standards need to be upheld.

True but capcom could do a better job of what inputs their fighter gaming are allowed to accept. After seeing how namco has rigged inputs in calibur there is no doubt the better dev in this genre can't step up.

Based on info around I think the daigo designs are light macro cheats.

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People laughed at me way back when I said keyboards were better controllers for fighting games and yet here we are -.-'

Who's laughing now!
They are cause I suck at fighting games

Last edited:

demondance

Oct 27, 2017

So this is using the SFV input situation you described, where the game itself defaults to forward with two inputs. Does this work from all directions, though?

Some Monster Hunter players who suffered through The Claw should pick up fighting games if this is the case.

I have no access to SFV and I didn't play enough on keyboard to tell but I don't think this is standard behavior. 100s of hitbox users never banned, Daigo's socd is not standard.

That hifight clip he linked indeed shows it working that way with charging 4 on the stick and tapping 6 on the dpad.

On a standard hitbox -- not the Gafro one Daigo is using -- this isn't possible because it defaults to neutral with 4 and 6 held.

So is a normal hitbox more fair for charging than a controller? lol

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
People laughed at me way back when I said keyboards where better controllers for fighting games and yet here we are -.-'

Who's laughing now!
They are cause I suck at fighting games
You're not wrong though, keyboards are super good for fighting games. Particularly 3D fighters.

Hell, there's a reason why mixboxes became all the rage (heh) for Tekken 7 players a year or so ago.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017

With a keyboard, SFV will read left+right as relative forward not as neutral. There is not really such a thing as a standard with SOCD cleaning. The official hitbox's SOCD method is left+right = neutral, down+up = up. The Brooks Audio PCB behaves how I explained in the previous post, The Brooks Universal PCB defaults to left+right = neutral, but gives the option of last win, left+right = whatever was pressed last. 100s of hitbox users were never banned because nobody really cared. Furthermore, people keep mentioning daigo's flash kicking overheads, etc.--The SOCD cleaning method on official hitbox would allow him to do the exact same thing.

Oct 27, 2017
What? Everyone at tourney uses modified controller to suit their playstyle. As long as it doesn't have turbo or macro enabled its fine. Is Capcom also going to ban people with optical joysticks or Cherry MX buttons?

From the little I've seen from tournaments people either use bog standard controllers or fighting sticks. But of course I can't tell from afar if they're modified or not. Is it really that common?

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
as long as the hardware do not automate anything, i fail to see why it should be banned.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I was watching this video yesterday and was kind of floored. Daigo is too. (it's linked in the kotaku article - linking it here so more people see it)

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Hitbox has a cleaner that does L + R = neutral. PCB and SFV has L + R = last cardinal direction
With a keyboard, SFV will read left+right as relative forward not as neutral. There is not really such a thing as a standard with SOCD cleaning. The official hitbox's SOCD method is left+right = neutral, down+up = up. The Brooks Audio PCB behaves how I explained in the previous post, The Brooks Universal PCB defaults to left+right = neutral, but gives the option of last win, left+right = whatever was pressed last. 100s of hitbox users were never banned because nobody really cared. Furthermore, people keep mentioning daigo's flash kicking overheads, etc.--The SOCD cleaning method on official hitbox would allow him to do the exact same thing.
Thanks for clarifying. So it is Capcom being dumb about this, this is just how SFV deals with inputs.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Theyy gonna ban him from pads too? Cuz some of his tech is doable via dpad plus thumbstick coupling. Saw multiple tweets of folks holding forward on dpad and back on thumbstick and popping fireballs like mad with guile. Believe it allowed for aa flashkick reacts too.

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing in there you cant do with dpad + analog stick.
The first thing I saw when I switched to the Tekken stream at Combo Breaker an hour ago was a guy playing on a hitbox

Hitboxes have only achieved some momentum in Tekken relatively recently despite the fact that they have been generally regarded as a significantly advantageous control method for a long time. Most Western players still use a regular pad still while Korean and Japanese mostly use sticks.

You have to understand though, Tekken is an old, elitist community. Most of the scene refused to even use button binding until recently even though it's a feature in the game itself.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Hitboxes should be banned for being a blight on humanity anyway.

But a lot of this could be alleviated through better input handling. The game itself should know what to properly do with simultaneous inputs. Some of the examples I've seen in the alt. SOCD method inputs makes me think Capcom would be better off tightening input on the game overall and rid themselves of the ludicrous amount of input leniency their games have developed.

Furthermore, people keep mentioning daigo's flash kicking overheads, etc.--The SOCD cleaning method on official hitbox would allow him to do the exact same thing.
This is what I got out of all this when reading up. His flashkicks would be the same with a standard hitbox or the one he uses.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if it gives an unfair advantage, then I fully understand banning it. Don't know enough about high level play to know if it does or not.

Best solution would be Capcom providing all equipment (arcade sticks, controllers, and hit-boxes), but that's probably super expensive.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
From the little I've seen from tournaments people either use bog standard controllers or fighting sticks. But of course I can't tell from afar if they're modified or not. Is it really that common?
A fairly common yet simple mod, is increasing the weight of spring in the lever. Or adding a larger actuator. (Or both). This makes the stick less loose and more responsive.

EDIT: Even swapping out a square gate for an octagonal gate would be considered a mod.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Hitboxes are like those double handed putters in golf to me. May be technically legal, but something about them seems counter to the spirit of the conventions of the game.

Oct 28, 2017
This is what I got out of all this when reading up. His flashkicks would be the same with a standard hitbox or the one he uses.

Yeah, all this quibbling over the SOCD method is completely irrelevant. It doesn't change the fact that you still don't have to deal with the frames it takes for a stick to travel through neutral. It also doesn't change the fact that you can piano directions - allowing for supersonic dashes.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
So, from what I'm parsing in this thread, is it fair to say that Capcom is Big Mad that SFV isn't doing at a software level whatever the official Hitbox is doing at a hardware level and as a result banning hitboxes that don't conform to the way the official Hitbox handles inputs?

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I can see Daigo hitbox being banned due to extra buttons. I think it's more than what you're allowed to macro in game since you can't have L3/R3 and touchpad. It's 8 buttons on pad/stick, Daigo's looks to have +4.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I can see Daigo hitbox being banned due to extra buttons. I think it's more than what you're allowed to macro in game since you can't have L3/R3 and touchpad. It's 8 buttons on pad/stick, Daigo's looks to have +4.
What rule is that? Never heard of that. You cant have macros (one button doing more than 1 input) but youre free to use a stick with 20 thousand light kick buttons on it if youre so inclined.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
So, from what I'm parsing in this thread, is it fair to say that Capcom is Big Mad that SFV isn't doing at a software level whatever the official Hitbox is doing at a hardware level and as a result banning hitboxes that don't conform to the way the official Hitbox handles inputs?

SFV is, just with a different method. No game in recent years accepts simultaneous opposing cardinal directions as individual, valid inputs. That's why you can't do things like charging back while walking forward or absolute guard cross ups.

Oct 28, 2017

No. The SOCD cleaner makes no difference. Daigo could do the same things on a regular hitbox. The only difference here is that these videos have gone viral and Capcom has caught on and flipped out.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, all this quibbling over the SOCD method is completely irrelevant. It doesn't change the fact that you still don't have to deal with the frames it takes for a stick to travel through neutral. It also doesn't change the fact that you can piano directions - allowing for supersonic dashes.
Thats a symptom of a lever being less efficient, not cheating. Everyone agrees a hitbox is mechanically superior. That doesnt make it cheating.

No. The SOCD cleaner makes no difference. Daigo could do the same things on a regular hitbox. The only difference here is that these videos have gone viral and Capcom has caught on and flipped out.

They have been available and used in tournies for 10 years. This is just a scare wave because its Daigo.