• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The difference between Segmented Area and what they've done with World is non existent because after the first couple of runs, you just warp to different camps / areas. And fuck ancient forest.

I love the Forest :/ And I'll rather chase monster without loading times, or just explore without them too. As I said I would love to them double-down on the open world...

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Smart and a best case scenario for Switch owners, on the condition Capcom don't phone it in. Reality is the Switch's hardware isn't comparable to the PS4/XONE, especially CPU/RAM load for game logic, and a game like Monster Hunter World is obviously crunching stuff on those platforms with an engine optimised specifically for that bandwidth that the Switch just cannot compete with. The amount of work required to translate the title across would probably require far too many concessions to the point where the game either ran at unplayable frameworks or undertook an number of game logic changes that fundamentally changed the design a way that would always highlight it as the significantly lesser, inferior build.

For the sake of Switch owners a from-the-ground-up special title makes far more sense, as it can be built around the hardware's strengths and limitations, and game logic and design that accommodates the platform entirely.

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
This really isn't any different from the strategy they had in place in previous gens: have mainline games available on consoles, then have a portable series that takes a lot of elements from those games while doing some of its own things. They've had the teams in place for almost as long as the series has been around.

The real question is how they approach them this time, since while the Switch isn't getting a port of MHW out of this, getting a game closer to the fidelity of MHW isn't some impossible dream. But they also have a massive library of monsters based on assets from the PS2 era all the way up to the 3DS games, and it will take years before we get all of them at the same kind of fidelity as MHW, and content is certainly king. Do we get a super hybrid of sorts, or do we get a fork of MHW? It's an interesting little bind to be in.

Well yeah that's what I'm worried about. Having to choose between "MH: pretty graphics" and "MH: lots of stuff" is tough, I want both :D I wonder if the thing is big enough at this point to support two series or the portable one is gonna be mostly Japan focused? MHW released everywhere the same day and it was glorious, you could tell they wanted to do the right thing for western fans. What now?

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
It's just a tweet saying that they heard something. None of this appeared in the official briefing transcription. I'd be taking that with a grain of salt and certainly not serving crow or whatever just yet.

Yes not trying to be a wet blanket, but I'm surprised this tweet is the only reference to what would appear to be pretty significant news for the Japanese market.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Awesome. Monster Hunter is mine and my girlfriends game.

We love playing local co op on the couch on 4U and Generations so when MHW couldn't offer that it was a bit of a downer.

Immensely happy we can go back to hunting with our palicos together on Switch.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I love the Forest :/ And I'll rather chase monster without loading times, or just explore without them too. As I said I would love to them double-down on the open world...
Forest is aesthetically beautiful but in terms of function is my least favorite map in the series. Game has been out for six months and I still find myself lost in there half the time. A+ for effort though.

This quote from Capcom sounds a lot like what was rumored long before World was revealed, that a Western focused game would come first and then a more traditional game would come later to Nintendo. I really didn't believe it back then because I never expected Capcom to split the player base that way. I guess the series is big enough for that now.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a tweet saying that they heard something. None of this appeared in the official briefing transcription. I'd be taking that with a grain of salt and certainly not serving crow or whatever just yet.
This is important to note.
I'll believe it when Capcom officially reports it.

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is what everyone pretty much thought would happen.

I hope this means they give the newer Switch games a facelift and move on from the older assets. Somewhere between World/Generations Ultimate in terms of look.

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping that after World showed there was an audience on other platforms, they'd just go ahead and release all their future games on everything.

There's no reason a Switch game can't also be released on everything. It's not like the 3DS

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I figured it wouldn't make it to the Switch considering its performance on current gen consoles and them bringing Generations over to the West.
"Can't be done on the Switch" is not necessarily performance related. They would say exactly the same for example also if there was a Sony clause not allowing the game on a Nintendo console.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I guess everyone should be happy with this. The Nintendo guys get their MH, and the rest get a World 2 that is free from Switch's hw limitations.

The latter is important for me. I'm already salivating over the sequel's sandbox potential - more complex environment interactions, expanded ecosystems, etc etc

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Oh man, I'd love for the old style games to continue on the switch. I'm curious to see if they will use the world engine as a base or evolve the 4th gen engine. (Yeah, I know they are the same engine but I think it's safe to assume they made some serious engine modifications for World) I think the monster's combat AI was better pre world, so I'd prefer to see the latter, but I'm in for whatever they decide to release because it's monhun.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Capcom's moves forward have been pretty easy to telegraph here. Partially because that 4chan leak kindly laid them out before MHXX was announced.

I guess everyone should be happy with this. The Nintendo guys get their MH, and the rest get a World 2 that is free from Switch's hw limitations.

The latter is important for me. I'm already salivating over the sequel's sandbox potential - more complex environment interactions, expanded ecosystems, etc etc
Keep in mind MHW2 (aka MH6) is probably 4-5 years out and won't be on any current consoles.

World will get more content added over the next several years, probably also including a big G release.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like good news to me!

I still think the switch can handle most of what World is offering just not at the same fidelity

Still think they can make a beautiful 5th gen game on the system if they invested the time and effort

And seeing how well Capcom has been picking up steam lately (MHWorld, DMC5, RE2, MegaMan11, X Collection, etc) I am hoping they will keep the momentum going!

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Lol as long as there isn't any load time between areas. Like fuck that shit. This isn't a psp anymore

Then a switch version will be acceptable.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
This is good news and pretty much what I expected.
Better to have a new game tailored for the Switch and its strenghts (like portability and local co op) than "the worst version of MH World, 2 years later".

Tenbatsu

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing new, XX director already stated last year in Nintendo Dream that XX is the first mh for the Switch.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom's moves forward have been pretty easy to telegraph here. Partially because that 4chan leak kindly laid them out before MHXX was announced.

Keep in mind MHW2 (aka MH6) is probably 4-5 years out and won't be on any current consoles.

World will get more content added over the next several years, probably also including a big G release.

You say it was telegraphed (which it was for anyone thinking logically), but the reactions and hot takes in the World announcement thread on GAF and the hysterical rhetoric being handed around in subsequent MH threads tells me that it wasn't obvious to most people.

People thinking that Capcom was abandoning Switch and Nintendo so Nintendo would have to find a MH replacement, people thinking Capcom would abandon Nintendo systems due to how well World ended up selling...the past year of Monster Hunter discussion has been an absolute shit show unfortunately.

This has been Capcom's plan for a long ass time from what I know. cw_sasuke correctly said that if you look at the timeline, it matches up with 3DS. MH4 didn't show up until 3DS was two and a half years old. That Switch won't be getting it's a new MH game until 2019 or later makes sense by comparison but people lost their shit anyway.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Yeah it was in the other thread about it some days ago (different title, same tweet), and people were a lot more doubtful about the tweet considering there's no proof he's actually an investor.
Honestly, while Capcom's initial messaging was kinda poor, MH has a bright future on Switch.
"kinda" is an euphemism lol.
We agree anyway and had those discussions enough times :p
Lets be fair though - many people expected this outcome for the exact same reasons he mentioned in these posts. The only other option would have been for Capcom to completely ignore a worldwide successful portable system/hybrid with MH, which would be crazy especially since Nintendo continues to support the franchise (MH Stories, MHGenUltimate).

In terms of MH Switch it was always going to happen.....people went nuts without realizing how long it took for MH4 to appear on 3DS or MHW on PS4/Xbox One. Earliest point would have been 2 years after its launch, even with Switch being a break out success. Thats just game development.

My only issue with Capcom in terms of MH was that i wish they had released Gen Ultimate last year in the west - but i can see why they decided to put all the resources into the MHW localisation to realize the worldwide launch.
Agreed.
So, what you're saying is,

Cut down budget versions of Monster Hunter.
Other people already replied to that, but that's not exactly what Portable and Gen was.
Asset re-use (I'd be surprised if it's not World assets btw) but different design decisions doesn't mean those games will be "cut down". Lower budget for sure, but that's normal (different team, single platform cheaper to develop for, asset re-use, etc).
Whoa.... a technically demanding game can't be on Switch.... who knew?!?!?! Totally not me!
MH World can't be ported 1:1 at this point on Switch, but "can't be done" doesn't mean just on the technical side. There's also the impossibility to release it in Asia (what is the point then), a team busy with porting it on another platform, and content to be made for the first platforms that still really need that. "Can't be done" =/= "Couldn't be done".
Could this be ported if there was no other MH game in the future and it was already optimized on PS4/X1 (which it isn't)? It could. But when you see there's not even news about the PC version, it'd make no sense.
If Capcom really wanted to make a multiplat version of World 2 (for example) and planned for it from the start, of course they could.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Whoa.... a technically demanding game can't be on Switch.... who knew?!?!?! Totally not me!
As I previously wrote, "Can't be done on the Switch" is not necessarily performance related. They would say exactly the same thing for example if there was a Sony clause not allowing the game on a Nintendo console.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I assumed the rumor was true before World was official.

World style gameplay for the 2 consoles and vanilla style gameplay for the hybrid.

The motivations could be questioned but the outcome was believable from the get go.

Capcom took too long to confirm this was their plan all along.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
You say it was telegraphed (which it was for anyone thinking logically), but the reactions and hot takes in the World announcement thread on GAF and the hysterical rhetoric being handed around in subsequent MH threads tells me that it wasn't obvious to most people.

People thinking that Capcom was abandoning Switch and Nintendo so Nintendo would have to find a MH replacement, people thinking Capcom would abandon Nintendo systems due to how well World ended up selling...the past year of Monster Hunter discussion has been an absolute shit show unfortunately.

This has been Capcom's plan for a long ass time from what I know. cw_sasuke correctly said that if you look at the timeline, it matches up with 3DS. MH4 didn't show up until 3DS was two and a half years old. That Switch won't be getting it's a new MH game until 2019 or later makes sense by comparison but people lost their shit anyway.
Yeah, I think that's fair. There was a lot of panic, overraction and tribalism, driven on all sides. There still is frankly, that might never change with MH honestly. Capcom's confused messaging didn't help things either.

It's easy to see this being obvious in retrospect but there were also those of us who predicted how things were headed at the time. So I don't feel too bad about poitining it out. :)

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

Not that you said otherwise, but to be fair most posts from "people thinking Capcom would abandon Nintendo systems due to how well World ended up selling" were from non Nintendo fans.

subtropisch

Jun 23, 2018
On a side note, has anything regarding the PC release of MHW has been announced? I read it was supposed to come out in fall of 2018, but that seems kind of close considering I don't know of a release date yet

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many times the 4chan rumor will get proved right on the whole, even if it got the finer details wrong (probably from a different point of dev).

Phil's interview further fixed another of it's apparent contradictions. popcorn.gif

Also Capcom definitely did fall out of favor with Nintendo. popcorn.gif

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool now they can hopefully get away from babys first MonHun and try to remember how to design a level again.

And please bring back Brachy, Zin and other monsters that are not boring to fight.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Too bad, I'd really like to play it on PC in 60fps, but I might give up and play it on PS4 if it takes too long haha

At some point, you start to wonder if it isn't in dev hell or if they just have given it zero resources as per Capcom's usual MO.

Between their inability to provide any content plan for World and slow as hell roll out of anything to do in it, and the lack of even a PC screeshot, I've long since started to wonder if they didn't just largely drop all resources from World for other projects.

paulc

Alt account.
Dec 14, 2017
I hope they can at least do a game without the segregated areas. It was the one thing the series really needed and was long overdue.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
At some point, you start to wonder if it isn't in dev hell or if they just have given it zero resources as per Capcom's usual MO.
Last I heard, the mainline team is working on the PC port themselves. Therefore, I expect a Switch title by the Portable team will be the 2019 Monster Hunter title and any World expansion will come later.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they will recycle as much from World as they can, we'll probably be seeing somewhat paired back versions of the World assets for example.
I wonder what they'll do to set it apart so that the Switch games don't just come off as lesser than World and its eventual sequels.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Last I heard, the mainline team is working on the PC port themselves. Therefore, I expect a Switch title by the Portable team will be the 2019 Monster Hunter title and any World expansion will come later.

That was what they said, yes, but the game was also scheduled for two months from now and we've not heard a peep, which isn't usually the most reassuring of ways to handle a release (unless its so broken that you want no one to notice it). It's likely that a team with little PC experience ordained they'd be able to handle PC because *reasons* and then realized they couldn't quite do that. PC port houses exist for a reason.

MHW is on Xbox and PC,why would Sony pay to not port to Switch?More likely Switch can't run.

You should watch Phil's E3 interview, MWH wasn't originally on/for Xbox.