• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Why result to salt comments? I didn't make Phil Spencer answer the way he did, confirming a bit more of rumor that used to be used to call it into question. Little by little, more and more of the broader details have been confirmed.

/shrug

Phil didn't say they paid for outright exclusivity though. When I first heard about the game a couple of years back it was definitely PS4 and (I think) PC only a bit like NieR. And just like NieR, Phil did the talking he needed to do to convince Capcom to bring it to Xbox. Think about how many Japanese games have hit PS4 only or PS4 and PC and skipped Xbox just because.

It also doesn't confirm that it's money keeping World off of Switch. Like I say, this "other" game for Switch has been their plan for at least a couple of years.

Last edited:

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
I bet the new Switch game will use World's assets and be absolutely fabulous with some fresh new ideas and gameplay refinements.

This is much better than an old port guys.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't they have two MH teams that make console Monster Hunter games now? Not counting COG doing Explore or Frontier, here.

They were totally going to make the Switch line of games different from World. Why on Earth would people be expecting a port or World instead of a literal new game?

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why result to salt comments? I didn't make Phil Spencer answer the way he did, confirming a bit more of rumor that used to be used to call it into question. Little by little, more and more of the broader details have been confirmed.

/shrug

Phil Spencer didn't confirm anything lol, the only he said that MHW wasn't planned for Xbox but he convinced Capcom to change that. Nothing about what he said relates to the absence of Switch version.
Heck if anything the interview proves there's no moneyhat, because Phil Spencer can't get around a real moneyhat no matter how much talking or sitting he does. And even assuming Phil Spencer did get around the moneyhat, why didn't Nintendo do the same?

And what broader details confirmed? Not coming to Switch? lol

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Don't they have two MH teams that make console Monster Hunter games now? Not counting COG doing Explore or Frontier, here.

They were totally going to make the Switch line of games different from World. Why on Earth would people be expecting a port or World instead of a literal new game?

A lot of the key Generations staff was MIA from the World credits. Also bear in mind that Generations released in Japan in 2015 and Ultimate would definitely not take a whole team to put together. They've been working on something for at least a few years now.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
That's well below World, which hit 7.5 million without the PC port.
A built from the ground up Switch version of Monster Hunter will do like 4 million in Japan alone

Monster Hunter 4 at the peak on the 3DS did 4 million world wide unless you count the two versions Monster Hunter that did 8 together. So isn't doing 4 million alone in Japan.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
And confirmation that they made a 180 on their plans to make it a shit westernized baby game full of QTEs.

Yes, the rumor definitely had parts of it *wrong* as we know the game today. The game definitely did get 'westernized' in some aspects though, and we have no idea when this second-hand information came from or from what part of development. But it came over a year before World launched.

I'm still waiting for confirmation that Capcom had no confidence in the game they spent such a long time developing, released globally, and had such a large marketing budget for.

And confirmation of a Nintendo betrayalton because that obviously makes more sense than Capcom just targeting known hardware and not considering the Switch that didn't exist.

I mean, you're asking for confirmation of internal politics. That's pretty much impossible without an internal leak ala what we had from SE recently. But the fallout with Nintendo is, I mean, pretty self-evident.

Marketing plans, confidence, and so on can change. But they themselves even spoke up on being glad about the reception they got at E3, that seems to imply a degree of uncertainty. I am unsure this would be a point you'd want to use in attempt to contradict the rumor. It is at best a matter of semantics and nuance rather than something that directly offers any contradiction while potentially offering further verification.

Basically, we know for a fact that huge portions of that rumor are 100% fabrication and bullshit. Just because minor details can be bent to fit reality does not mean the rumor is any less a load of bullshit than it ever was.

Details you don't like but were proven correct which have no way to really be guessed... aren't minor just because you deem them as such. Dismissive language isn't usually the best way to argue poorly, its basically an ad hominem at the point (rather than the person) in an attempt to downplay it.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I guess that I have to believe than in less than a year Capcom completely revamped the gameplay and systems of MHW. Because a fanboy rumor on 4chan got to be true.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Phil didn't say they paid for outright exclusivity though. When I first heard about the game a couple of years back it was definitely PS4 and (I think) PC only a bit like NieR. And just like NieR, Phil did the talking he needed to do to convince Capcom to bring it to Xbox. Think about how many Japanese games have hit PS4 only or PS4 and PC and skipped Xbox just because.

No AAA Capcom games have ever skipped Xbox (or PS4 in the reverse) without a deal in place.

Nier makes sense, a major AAA from Capcom much less so.

Per your edit: the point being raised/referenced with Phil's interview is that it confirms the original rumor of PS4/PC, which was... well, how the rumor used to be attacked as being wrong. Clearly it wasn't so wrong.

Oct 26, 2017

I expected Capcom to have that team make DLC for World instead of starving World of DLC and letting the game die as it currently looks like...

chobel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, we have to bend what he said to fit the narrative.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fine by me I don't think I'd bother with a port anyway since I've gotten my fill on console but I'd be down for new dedicated Switch exclusive version using MHWorld's sensibilities and assets.

They've had two teams for a long time now, and if I'm not mistaken, it's been pointed out since MHW's release that a few notable names were missing from the credits, implying that they've been working on something else. Could just as well be the eventual G-rank expansion for MHW, but I suspect that the new Switch game is more than just a verbal confirmation.

chobel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No AAA Capcom games have ever skipped Xbox (or PS4 in the reverse) without a deal in place.

Per your edit: the point being raised/referenced with Phil's interview is that it confirms the original rumor of PS4/PC, which was... well, how the rumor used to be attacked as being wrong. Clearly it wasn't so wrong.

And no deal about skipping Xbox would have ended up actually not skipping Xbox. That's not how deals work.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Will there be more info about the shareholders meeting?

I would love new information regarding the status of the PC version of World

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That 4chan thing claimed the timer was gone.

The timer is still there. That's an entry-level assumption anybody here could have made about rumors.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So this was true then?

5PwCxFq.png

Yep. Especially the timer and missions part.

/s

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Well XX is late but coming over, World is great and they talk about more Switch stuff. Kinda cool?

I think that mh threads frequently turn into warz between people who sometimes don't even care that much about the games, if you don't think so that's cool I guess.

XX is also at the end of the day, an up-rise 3DS game that should've come out last year.

I will only see a Switch Monster Hunter game as 'cool' when I see it.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

You're right, they haven't, but if Sony had made a deal with Capcom to make MH World a console exclusive, Microsoft then coming in and offering them money and Capcom accepting would have been poor business conduct and likely in serious breach of whatever contract Sony had in place. That Phil even said explicitly that they had a marketing deal in place tells me that they were working closely with Sony on the project but it was never fully exclusive.

This clearly isn't a Street Fighter V deal. Otherwise Phil/Xbox wouldn't have even entertained the thought of approaching Capcom in the first place.

It doesn't really matter anyway. I don't see what purpose bringing up that rumour serves at this point. The game sold extremely well, it wasn't "westernised" and Switch owners are getting a game. Whatever happened internally is kind of irrelevant.

Or whoever in the received the information earlier into dev cycle and the information was old by the time it www released.

I always find it strange that whenever someone dismisses the rumour outright never managed to explain howit manage to fuses so many details regarding the platform and games that were later proven to be correct. Even stuff we only found out in the last few months.

I mean, when I first caught wind of this game it sounded exactly how it ended up turning out.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I guess that I have to believe than in less than a year Capcom completely revamped the gameplay and systems of MHW. Because a fanboy rumor on 4chan got to be true.
Or whoever in the received the information earlier into dev cycle and the information was old by the time it www released.

I always find it strange that whenever someone dismisses the rumour outright never managed to explain howit manage to fuses so many details regarding the platform and games that were later proven to be correct. Even stuff we only found out in the last few months.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Monster Hunter 4 at the peak on the 3DS did 4 million world wide unless you count the two versions Monster Hunter that did 8 together. So isn't doing 4 million alone in Japan.
Yes, vanilla Monster Hunter 4 for 3DS sold 4 million copies. That was in Japan alone as the game never released outside of there.
I believe we'll see the game next year and based on where the Switch's install base will be and how software has been selling in Japan, I don't think a 4 million total in Japan is that crazy to predict. Also, with World increasing the profile of the series in the West, another 1-2 million is not crazy to predict either.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You're right, they haven't, but if Sony had made a deal with Capcom to make MH World a console exclusive, Microsoft then coming in and offering them money and Capcom accepting would have been poor business conduct and likely in serious breach of whatever contract Sony had in place. That Phil even said explicitly that they had a marketing deal in place tells me that they were working closely with Sony on the project but it was never fully exclusive.

This clearly isn't a Street Fighter V deal. Otherwise Phil/Xbox wouldn't have even entertained the thought of approaching Capcom in the first place.

It doesn't really matter anyway. I don't see what purpose bringing up that rumour serves at this point. The game sold extremely well, it wasn't "westernised" and Switch owners are getting a game. Whatever happened internally is kind of irrelevant.

But this doesn't really refute the rumor, the rumor was around PS4/PC and a specific type of exclusivity but not one away from Xbox (or PC). Xbox then came later with pushing from Phil.

So it's just reaffirming what was originally leaked.

chobel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all realize there are many types of marketing deals right? Not just a single type.

Ofc we know. The thing is, you don't.

"Phil Spencer said marketing deal? It must be the only type of deal that fits my narrative and confirm the rumor"

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Yes, vanilla Monster Hunter 4 for 3DS sold 4 million copies. That was in Japan alone as the game never released outside of there.
I believe we'll see the game next year and based on where the Switch's install base will be and how software has been selling in Japan, I don't think a 4 million total in Japan is that crazy to predict. Also, with World increasing the profile of the series in the West, another 1-2 million is not crazy to predict either.

That depends if it has what made World desirable to the west.

Mar 23, 2018
Look, I just know I want more portable Monster Hunter games. I'll get World or Ultimate World or whatever once it comes to PC, but the portable games have always been where I've enjoyed the games the most, playing next to my friends or alone during a ride, etc. Take whatever the best things from World are and add it to the Switch game and the next games, that's it.

Not "now", but since the first Monster Hunter game. The team from MH, MH2, MHTri/U, MH4/U and MHWorld is different from the MHF, MHFU, MHPotable3rd, MHG, MHGU team, the latter known as the "portable team". That team, AFAIK, has not been working on World and they have not been on anything since they were done with Generations Ultimate last year.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
But this doesn't really refute the rumor, the rumor was around PS4/PC and a specific type of exclusivity but not one away from Xbox (or PC). Xbox then came later with pushing from Phil.

So it's just reaffirming what was originally leaked.

My point is, if Sony had paid for any type of exclusivity, PS4/PC or otherwise, it's unrealistic to think that Xbox could have then bowled in and paid Capcom to put the game on Xbox day and date with the other SKUs. That's not how business is conducted.

You make an exclusivity deal with a platform holder, you are locked into that legal contract until it expires (if ever). You can't then take money from a competitor and say "okay, fuck the deal" and the game on their platform as well. Again, if such a contract existed, Monster Hunter World would not have launched on Xbox One.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ofc we know. The thing is, you don't.

"Phil Spencer said marketing deal? It must be the only type of deal that fits my narrative and confirm the rumor"
Phil mentioned a marketing deal which makes it sound like while not truly an exclusive, it was one that Sony and Capcom were likely working on together very closely which would not even refute the rumor.

Skyw3rd

Oct 30, 2017
I think my dream for Switch is a Monster Hunter game with the art style of Stories with all the quality of life changes implemented in World with a story focus and then the monster grind.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look, I just know I want more portable Monster Hunter games. I'll get World or Ultimate World or whatever once it comes to PC, but the portable games have always been where I've enjoyed the games the most, playing next to my friends or alone during a ride, etc. Take whatever the best things from World are and add it to the Switch game and the next games, that's it.

Not "now", but since the first Monster Hunter game. The team from MH, MH2, MHTri/U, MH4/U and MHWorld is different from the MHF, MHFU, MHPotable3rd, MHG, MHGU team, the latter known as the "portable team". That team, AFAIK, has not been working on World and they have not been on anything since they were done with Generations Ultimate last year.

Yup I tried telling some people this multiple times but some just did not want to listen. The portable team is quite obviously working on Monster Hunter Switch.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point "exclusivity" is irrelevant and semantics from second hand information from a leaker from a dev who could have barely been in the know about the specifics of the deal in place. Phil Spencer himself brought up the marketing deal Capcom had with Sony.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
If it's Monster Hunter, I will buy the game.

That's my hot take in all this. More Monster Hunter. On my Switch? Yes please. On my PS4? Yes please.

Not sure why anyone is salty. World is pretty rough around the edges anyway. Lots of room for improvement outside the visuals. Take the lessons learned from World, give me a Monster Hunter I can play on the go, you've suddenly emptied me of yet another $60. Worth noting that this is exactly what they did with Monster Hunter 1, 2, and 3 as well.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
This might be the best case scenario for me. I like World and all but I hate what they did with bowguns. Would be cool if they keep expanding on hunter arts/styles in the portable games too.

QOL stuff is mostly a nonissue for me I think. Hell I spent as much time fighting old muscle memory and habits in World as I did enjoying the changes.

chobel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The part of the rumor which makes no fucking sense is moneyhatting out Switch version but not Xbox version, especially for a westernized game. For a westernized game, skipping Xbox would have made a lot more sense, and judging by Phil Spencer interview, the deal would be super cheap too (Capcom wasn't interested in Xbox version anyway). If Sony already spent a "fortune" on locking out Switch, excluding Xbox as well would be a pocket change.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My point is, if Sony had paid for any type of exclusivity, PS4/PC or otherwise, it's unrealistic to think that Xbox could have then bowled in and paid Capcom to put the game on Xbox day and date with the other SKUs. That's not how business is conducted.

You make an exclusivity deal with a platform holder, you are locked into that legal contract until it expires (if ever). You can't then take money from a competitor and say "okay, fuck the deal" and the game on their platform as well. Again, if such a contract existed, Monster Hunter World would not have launched on Xbox One.

But you're conflating full exclusive vs. the rumor's implied specific exclusionary exclusive. Clearly there was a deal and it didn't lock out Xbox, that... Agrees with the rumor.

You say that these aren't how things work but we've seen all sorts of creative exclusive contracts this gen. From DLC exclusives to game-temp exclusives... The latter of which is basically this rumor but with no expiration.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Yup I tried telling some people this multiple times but some just did not want to listen. The portable team is quite obviously working on Monster Hunter Switch.
The question is how long have they been working on It?
Did they work on XX Nintendo Switch Ver.?
It's possible they had this Monster Hunter Switch in production before XX 3DS released. That's my guess

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure Capcom will just set up an alternating release sched

Monster Hunter Switch (2019)
Monster Hunter World 2 (2020)
Monster Huner Switch G Pro Sexy (2021)

etc. etc.

They'll just keep on going like that. It's a good way for them to ensure a new MH game every fiscal year.