• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
What exectly would the difference be between a Switch and ps4 verison graphics aside? I have never played a MH game btw.
The common guess is that the Switch version will follow the "classic" formula: no open levels, different multiplayer implementation.
Rest should be mostly the same as 5th gen (World): better UX with streamlining of some features, mostly the same movesets, same "rules", etc.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but production for World started at around the time before the Switch came out, right? Not to say that as the excuse, but if you don't know why kind of tech the system is using, it would be kind of difficult to build the game for it when you were more focused on PS4, Xbox One and PC, wouldn't it? Mind you that the sooner we get to August, the better since World is starting to slow down hard on me and going into Generations Ultimate will be fun to experience again with new monsters.

Of course with all that said, I think we know that Capcom wasn't going to outright abandon Nintendo and the Switch. It will be interesting though to know where the series will go next (although in fairness, we probably won't see that anytime soon if World is off the table there). Still, can't wait to see where the series go next.
Development of MHW started around early 2014 (a bit more than 3 years before the E3 2017 reveal). Back when supposedly they asked Nintendo for more RAM in the Switch.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
This is the way to go.
Switch needs less downgraded ports and more games created with the specific hardware in mind .
This... Very much this. I'm curious to see what a Switch specific (not MHXX/GU because that was a 3DS game up-rezzed for switch) Monster Hunter could look and perform like.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Development of MHW started around early 2014 (a bit more than 3 years before the E3 2017 reveal). Back when supposedly they asked Nintendo for more RAM in the Switch.

Yeah, and I can't deny that Monster Hunter 4K definitely has put a smile on my face. Not to say that Capcom expected the Switch to be 4K compatible, but if they were asking Nintendo for more RAM, then you can argue that they wanted to pull out all the stops to make World extra special. Thank you Eolz.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
The common guess is that the Switch version will follow the "classic" formula: no open levels, different multiplayer implementation.
Rest should be mostly the same as 5th gen (World): better UX with streamlining of some features, mostly the same movesets, same "rules", etc.
Ah interesting, thanks for explaining.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when this exclusive MH will be announced then. Next TGS? This one? Also wondering the timing of the game next to whatever G expansion they push out for World. Also how will they make both stand out from each other. I doubt people would be happy if Switch got monsters that the other three platforms dont get.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Great decision. Switch doesn't need MHW. It need its own MH. I wouldn't mind Capcom going back to main series and portable series structure.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
The naming convention is really bothering me. Do they go with the proper generation and call it portable 5th? But then there was no portable 4th?!? Its keeping me up at night.
Monster Hunter 4 was only on portables. It's the only gen that was exclusively portable. So calling it mhp4 would be kinda redundant. Monster Hunter World is gen 5, and a portable version of that would just be portable 5th. I suppose it could be Monster Hunter World portable since World was such a huge success. I'm guessing there will be some concessions though technically so that will probably dictate what they can reasonably call the game. If they can get world to run on switch but with lower lighting and texture quality it would be quite the feat. Also I think a sequel to Monster Hunter stories would fit well on Switch. It's clear the main team will be on high end console and PC for the foreseeable future though. This switch game whatever it ends up being will be by the B team.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Came to see if anyone posted this. I remember people were very quick to dismiss this information and although some minor details were incorrect, the main points were pretty spot on. Wonder if moving forward if the relationship with Sony got better or worse after it kinda stopped selling in Japan. It doesn't even chart on holidays like most MH games would in the past.

Whether it has legs in Japan is irrelevant at this point for MH:W. It obliterated expectations by selling ~3m (including digital).

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Totally fine with this. I think it will be nice go back to a more humbling hardcore MH after being so spoiled by all that is MHW. I'm looking forward to it.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure this is shocking to anyone.

I would like to see them implement as many QoL improvements as possible from World, moving forward.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Came to see if anyone posted this. I remember people were very quick to dismiss this information and although some minor details were incorrect, the main points were pretty spot on. Wonder if moving forward if the relationship with Sony got better or worse after it kinda stopped selling in Japan. It doesn't even chart on holidays like most MH games would in the past.

MHW is the best selling Capcom game of all time. I think Capcom/Sony relationship will be ok.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I wonder when this exclusive MH will be announced then. Next TGS? This one? Also wondering the timing of the game next to whatever G expansion they push out for World. Also how will they make both stand out from each other. I doubt people would be happy if Switch got monsters that the other three platforms dont get.
I'm sure they'll at least announce a title or logo at this TGS. No need for more, and would fit past announcements (outside of World for obvious reasons).
Switch is already getting monsters and content that World isn't getting, the issue will be more if the new game looks too much like World with content that "appears" better than on the main version (a bit like what happened with P3rd).

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
if the 4chan leak is to be believed MHW is not coming to Switch because of the exclusivity deal in Asia. They don't want to discuss about the deal so they give technical difficulties as a easy to understand reason. They do have a portable version in development for quite a while now if so. 2019 might be a very good year for Switch in terms of third party and first party support. Would be a mad year in Japan if Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest 11 and Animal Crossing release next year.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they manage an acceptable compromise. It's hard going back to old MH after playing World. Don't want it to be the same for Switch.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they'll at least announce a title or logo at this TGS. No need for more, and would fit past announcements (outside of World for obvious reasons).
Switch is already getting monsters and content that World isn't getting, the issue will be more if the new game looks too much like World with content that "appears" better than on the main version (a bit like what happened with P3rd).

There will be a lot of teeth gnawing if the big main versions didn't get the same monsters. Espically this time around with how World sold. I guess we will see at TGS this year. Tho i'm not holding my breath.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
This sounds like a good idea since it seemed like the "old MH fans" were disappointed by World. Maybe they keep the old style of games on Switch and World style on the other platforms.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm actually really pleased they are more interested in games built for Switch rather than a 'downport' of MHW. It's better for the franchise as a whole to have different types of MH games tailored for different hardware, if they've got a home console team working on MHW2 and a portable team working on MH Switch (axe?) it means there's something for everyone to look forward to. The series is certainly big enough to support both as long as they don't release them side-by-side, plenty of MH players want to enjoy both and it allows the series to continue to release games on a regular basis considering the longer dev times now.

Couldn't agree more. I think the contrast of the 2 series can only help extend the interest in MH for fans and newcomers alike. There are some things missing in MHW that are in MHG (styles, being able to apply armor attributes to another armor set) and vice versa. The more Monster Hunter, the better! :D

Last edited:

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We still have people believing Sony moneyhatted MHW? LOL! You know if that was true, Xbox version wouldn't have been a thing.

chobel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it was an exclusive till he went and sat down to Capcom. whether you choose to believe or not is a different matter

I believe it bur there's big a difference between "exclusive" and "there was no plan for Xbox version". It was truly exclusive, it wouldn't have come to Xbox no matter how many times Phil sat with Capcom.

By this logic, all Nintendo had to do is "sit" with Capcom and would have gotten MHW for Switch by now.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Repeated system warring
Gosh, if only the Switch was capable of running an open-world action game with massive enemies and real-time combat...
NWZlNWJiNDIzMiMvcFBaSE9RM2JuSGp1b2Z5WU1vRUdhVHg0QVhzPS9maXQtaW4vNzYweDAvZmlsdGVyczpub191cHNjYWxlKCk6Zm9ybWF0KGpwZWcpOnF1YWxpdHkoODApL2h0dHBzOi8vczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9wb2xpY3ltaWMtaW1hZ2VzL2o2bG9tbzl5cnVyejNtdmY2eDlndnhzZmF4c3pidHZwZm1sNXp6eHpyMTlteXRqZGd6bnRybGhodTJrd214cGkuZ2lm.gif

But hey, gotta keep Sugar Daddy Sony happy.

chobel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
here's the interview

basically this implication here is that the game wasn't coming to Xbox at all until these talks with Phil occurred and he lobbied for it and the game is still exclusive in Asia

Because it was Capcom who didn't think it was worth it, not because Sony moneyhatted it. A moneyhat comes from signing a contract, and you can't break that a contract huge legal ramifications.

* Sony moneyhatted Asia release (duh), and guess what? That "sit" didn't do shit, and that's how you know it's moneyhat.

* MHW coming to Xbox (in the west)? There are no moneyhats here.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it was Capcom who didn't think it was worth it, not because Sony moneyhatted it. A moneyhat comes from signing a contract, and you can't break that a contract huge legal ramifications.

* Sony moneyhatted Asia release (duh), and guess what? That "sit" didn't do shit, and that's how you know it's moneyhat.

* MHW coming to Xbox (in the west)? There are no moneyhats here.

I believe we're saying the same thing

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like a good idea since it seemed like the "old MH fans" were disappointed by World. Maybe they keep the old style of games on Switch and World style on the other platforms.
Little chance they ditch the QoL improvements, but I definitely would like Hunting Arts and Prowlers back

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
That only means that Capcom, like other japanese companies, initially didn't bother with a Xbox port, not that there was any moneyhat

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The switch is going to hold open worlds back? That's a laughable assumption when BOTW is the open world game of the generation so far.

chobel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe we're saying the same thing

I don't think so. If the only thing preventing MHW from coming to Switch was the "moneyhat", then we should have had Switch version by now (at least in the west where there is no moneyhat).

So Sony isn't what preventing MHW from coming to Switch (AKA no exclusivity).

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not sure this is shocking to anyone.

I would like to see them implement as many QoL improvements as possible from World, moving forward.

Defnitely. I think MH going forward will take from what was learned from MHW and at least implement a good amount of the QoL improvements going forward I think the main difference will just be that area loading will separately MHW any other future MH that were to come on the switch.

chobel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also would the special developed Switch version be exclusive to Switch? Because that would be really stupid decision by Capcom
and would make me really salty.