• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
200918a.png
200918b.png

Source: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e210329.html

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter Rise for Nintendo Switch has shipped 4 million units worldwide.

The Monster Hunter series consists of hunting action games that pit players against giant monsters in a beautiful natural environment. Beginning with the first title in 2004, the series established a new genre in which players cooperate to hunt ferocious monsters with their friends and has since grown into a global phenomenon with cumulative sales of the series exceeding 66 million units shipped as of December 31, 2020.

Monster Hunter Rise is an all-new Monster Hunter title for Nintendo Switch. The game was developed with Capcom's proprietary RE ENGINE in order to provide a new, accessible Monster Hunter experience that can be enjoyed anytime, anywhere and with anyone. In addition to new monsters and locales, the game provides a completely fresh take on the hunting experience through a host of new, exhilarating hunting actions made possible with the Wirebug. With this, players can traverse rocky cliffs via the Wall Run, soar over craggy terrain and through the air at high speed, or even bind monsters and control them. Further adding to the excitement is the debut of new "canyne" hunting partners called Palamutes, which hunters can ride to quickly navigate the maps. The title garnered critical acclaim following the release of two demos featuring both local and online cooperative play prior to launch, with resulting shipments exceeding 4 million units.

Further, in addition to Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin, a new role-playing game scheduled for release on July 9, 2021 that will feature elements that can link with Monster Hunter Rise, Capcom will roll out a wide variety of initiatives targeting increased brand value. These include the series' first Hollywood film adaptation Monster Hunter, which was released in Japan on March 26, 2021, and range from character merchandising and apparel to collaborations with a diverse field of companies.

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all users by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.

-------------

As with other Capcom Reports this will include Physical & Digital.
For comparison, Monster Hunter World did 5 Million but with 2 platforms - https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e180129.html

Last edited:

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter Rise for Nintendo Switch has shipped 4 million units worldwide.

Monster Hunter Rise Ships 4 Million Units Globally!– Solid start on a new platform for the latest title from Capcom’s flagship brand – | Press Release | CAPCOM

株式会社カプコンは、Nintendo Switch向け新タイトル『モンスターハンターライズ』を全世界で400万本を出荷しましたのでお知らせいたします。

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Thats a huge start.

Below World's 5m which was on 2 platforms but above FF7R and its 3.5m units shipped at launch.

Congrats to Capcom. They should reach their internal target of 9m units sold without issue.

Adahel

May 28, 2018
Spain
Congrats to Capcom!!!! Glad to see that MH is doing well after World, even launching only on 1 platform

Jun 20, 2019
It's a great game and I expect it will get even better over time. I think this game is going to move a lot of Switch Pros.

e: These days the "units shipped" numbers used in press releases like this will typically include digital sales do I would assume that's the case until we know otherwise.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
nice!
MHW shipped 5m in 3 days for reference

But that announcement told that 5 million with digital included.

This announcement here does not mention digital.

Edit: quote from that announcement:

"Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter: World for the PlayStation[SUB]®[/SUB]4 computer entertainment system and Xbox One has shipped 5 million units worldwide (including digital download sales)." source

And the current announcement:

"Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter Rise for Nintendo Switch has shipped 4 million units worldwide."

Jun 15, 2020
Well deserved. World is my favorite game of all-time, but they may have topped it. I'll let you know after my next 200 hours 😂

I hope they do a lot of Nintendo content like they did in the past for the 3DS games. And maybe take out Palicos/Palamutes in 4-player games. It's so chaotic and hard to keep track of right now.

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
nice!
MHW shipped 5m in 3 days for reference

For two different consoles though....PS4 and Xbox One.

Monster Hunter: World Ships 5 Million Units! – Sets series record for most units shipped in first three days, backed by support of fans across the globe – | Press Release | CAPCOM

株式会社カプコンは、PlayStation®4、Xbox OneおよびPC向けゲーム『モンスターハンター:ワールド』を全世界で500万本出荷(ダウンロード版販売実績を含む)しましたのでお知らせいたします。

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Grats to capcom! Both Capcom and the Monster Hunter teams have been killing it lately.

PS: I contributed two copies because I bought digital the moment I saw my pre-order being delayed, after doing so the pre-order got changed to be on time again. And they'll get me another time when the PC version launches again.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But why would Capcom want to make a Monster Hunter on Switch when they already have World?

Sorry, couldn't resist getting that in one more time.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
Capcom always reports physical shipped + digital sold.

For the World announcement they stated explicitly that it is with digital included: " Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter: World for the PlayStation[SUB]®[/SUB]4 computer entertainment system and Xbox One has shipped 5 million units worldwide (including digital download sales)."

Here they don't mention it.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
But that announcement told that 5 million with digital included.

This announcement here does not mention digital.

Edit: quote from that announcement:

"Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter: World for the PlayStation[SUB]®[/SUB]4 computer entertainment system and Xbox One has shipped 5 million units worldwide (including digital download sales)." source

And the current announcement:

"Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter Rise for Nintendo Switch has shipped 4 million units worldwide."
For two different consoles though....PS4 and Xbox One.

Monster Hunter: World Ships 5 Million Units! – Sets series record for most units shipped in first three days, backed by support of fans across the globe – | Press Release | CAPCOM

株式会社カプコンは、PlayStation®4、Xbox OneおよびPC向けゲーム『モンスターハンター:ワールド』を全世界で500万本出荷(ダウンロード版販売実績を含む)しましたのでお知らせいたします。
It's just for reference. I'm not trying to downplay MHR lol, calm down :p

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, 4M is alot for just one platform vs 2 at MH World's launch. Wonder how long it'll take for them to reach 10M again.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the World announcement they stated explicitly that it is with digital included: " Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter: World for the PlayStation[SUB]®[/SUB]4 computer entertainment system and Xbox One has shipped 5 million units worldwide (including digital download sales)."

Here they don't mention it.
Capcom's shipped figures ALWAYS include digital sales. They don't explicitly mention it, because it's become the norm.

Oct 26, 2017
Either way you slice it, this game is already an insane success. 4 Million on one platform is just outrageously good. The game deserves every sale. Most fun I had with a game on Switch since BOTW.

Jun 20, 2019
This is an Investor Relations news release put out less than a week before end-of-quarter. Come on now, they have no incentive to lowball this number.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I did my part, this is easily going to be the best selling Monster Hunter on a single platform.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
So glad to see MH is nowna global IP after World really pushed it to another level outside Japan.

People shouldve listened sooner how good this IP is.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be curious to know how much of that 5 million for World was on PS4 vs. Xbox One. My assumption is that 3-4m was PS4, with the rest on Xbox, meaning this would be in line with that release if it were only on one platform.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
It'll beat world

Welcome to the future of MH

Wirebugs too dank