• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

Press Release:

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter World: Iceborne , the massive expansion for Monster Hunter: World for PlayStation®4 and Xbox One * 1, 2 , has shipped over 2.5 million units * 3 worldwide.
* 1 Xbox One version available in North America and Europe only * 2 PC version scheduled for release in January 2020 * 3 Includes Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (digital sales) and Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Master Edition (physical shipments and digital sales).

The series Hunter spark consists of hunting action games that pit players against giant monsters in a beautiful natural environment.The series has sparked a social phenomenon known as the "Monster Hunter Craze" by introducing a new kind of communication style for players through cooperative play focused on the hunting monsters with their friends.The series has grown into a mega-hit, with Monster Hunter: World ( MH: W ), which released in January 2018, achieving 13.1 million * 4 units shipped—the first title in Capcom's history to achieve this record-high—and cumulative sales of the series exceeding 58 million units as of September 13, 2019.
* 4 .As of June 30, 2019

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne ( MHW: I ) is a massive premium expansion for MH: W .The game features a full narrative experience that continues from the ending of MH: W , bringing players to a vast new area known as the Hoarfrost Reach. A host of additional elements have also been included, such as both new and fan-favorite monsters, a new "Master Rank" difficulty level and a new player mechanic known as the Clutch Claw. Further, MHW: Iwas honored with the Best Ongoing Game award at Gamescom 2019 in Germany last month, a prize awarded to the best expansion or downloadable content of the show.As a result of garnering this attention from around the globe, and in addition to successfully carrying out a variety of strategic measures that included offering Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Master Edition , a set aimed at newcomers to the game which bundles MH: W with the expansion, MHW: I achieved sales of 2.5 million units soon after launch.

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all stakeholders by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Great numbers, still remember the days people didn't think this was gonna sell that much

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Great numbers for just the first week and still missing a platform. Plus this sits on top of the 13 million sales of the base game.

That's amazing for a game that a few years ago was big in Japan and extremely niche everywhere else.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter World is a big hit on consoles & PC now. They should try to keep the momentum going and announce World 2 two years from now.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'll leave it up for posterity but suffice, I was being stupid:

That's terrible retention (and/or awareness of the release) unless it picks up rapidly, but you'd think an expansion would be far more front-loaded.

This is just the bundle right? The digital expansion got to be at least double that

No that's everything.

Last edited:

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Pretty good start. About half of what the game did it's original first week/3 days. So I think this will do some pretty big numbers by the end if it can keep that up.

That's terrible retention (and/or awareness of the release) unless it picks up rapidly, but you'd think an expansion would be far more front-loaded.

No that's everything.
That's also a good point. Hmm it's twitch numbers haven't been that great. Perhaps people are waiting for the PC version.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we have a lot of other cases of expansion to compare numbers with, but this sounds very very big, especially with the price of the product and how long it took to get it on the market. Another hit for Capcom right here.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I'm being serious. I realize the PC platform is missing, but they're still missing an enormous segment of their sold-to audience with this expansion right now, and I would expect an expansion to be strong early rather than later.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
yes, 2.5m in a week is terrible

That's not what I said. I said the retention was bad as in, I expect an expansion to be front-loaded, and they have sold to a lower than I expected segment of their existing audience (+ new audience from the larger bundles).

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
2,5m shiped not sellthrough
There is 50% sellthrough in Japon 250k
So it is 2,25 maximum

It is still good

How many the base game was ?

Sense

Oct 25, 2017

No that's everything.
Must have really hurt to see monster hunter world being a huge success after shitting on capcom constantly.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
That's not what I said. I said the retention was bad as in, I expect an expansion to be front-loaded, and they have sold to a lower than I expected segment of their existing audience (+ new audience from the larger bundles).
If these numbers weren't good or Capcom wasn't happy with them then they wouldn't make a statement and would just address it in October.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I'm being serious. I realize the PC platform is missing, but they're still missing an enormous segment of their sold-to audience with this expansion right now, and I would expect an expansion to be strong early rather than later.

If roughly 1/4 of the available audience has purchased the expansion pack in one week, and you think that's terrible, then what number would you consider good?

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good start. About half of what the game did it's original first week/3 days. So I think this will do some pretty big numbers by the end if it can keep that up.

That's also a good point. Hmm it's twitch numbers haven't been that great. Perhaps people are waiting for the PC version.
I double-dipped on PS4 and then PC, I'd rather wait than go back to PS4. There's probably more people out there doing the same, not wanting to have to choose between PS4 and PC saves yet again.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

You really expected 10 million people to buy this expansion at launch? I don't think any game does that

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever

This is nuts.

They got a quarter of their audience to invest in a $40 expansion in the first week.

Like, it's going to outsell every single game in the series outside of World.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
so 2.5m in a week is terrible especially considering it was almost the same price as the base game. Gotcha

What? 2.5m is good. The *retention* of user base is what I am talking about.

This is Capcom's only major release this quarter, they need a high sell-through on this title to their existing audience and I expect an expansion to sell majority of its volume up-front. Maybe that's wrong, but that was my assumption.

Oct 27, 2017

Do we have another cases of sales expansions to compare that supposedly "bad retention" with ? It's pretty rare to get expansions numbers I believe, and this one is pretty expansive (40$).

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I want to know what numbers do they have to pull for you to consider it a success.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Would you say... Expansions have bad legs?

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
What? 2.5m is good. The *retention* of user base is what I am talking about.

This is Capcom's only major release this quarter, they need a high sell-through on this title to their existing audience and I expect an expansion to sell majority of its volume up-front. Maybe that's wrong, but that was my assumption.
The sales are good but also somehow bad, I see

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Yes it's a joke. There's no way Vena would downplay the Capgods.

I'm over the moon seeing this success. The vast majority of that 2.5m would be ps4. The pc port will do huge numbers too. Combined the G version and the vanilla will cross 20M. Who knew it had such potential all this time.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The sales are good but also somehow bad, I see
Is "retention" concern the new "bad legs"?

No. I am just speaking on the point of Capcom's FY expectations riding on this title needing to move a large amount of software which would require a high retention on the expansion sales.

Would you say... Expansions have bad legs?

I mean expansions don't usually sell a lot to begin with.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Damn good ESPECIALLY for an expansion that requires you to beat the original game.

Oct 27, 2017
One thing to note, if you watch Capcom sales report, you know they regularly highlight how the favorable margin of digital sales are helping the profits. In Iceborne case, the huge majority of those sales are going to be 100% digital, they are going to be extatic about their margin in the next report.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
No. I am just speaking on the point of Capcom's FY expectations riding on this title needing to move a large amount of software which would require a high retention on the expansion sales.

I mean expansions don't usually sell a lot to begin with.

What would you consider a high retention if 1/4 in a week is terrible?