J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just finished the platinum trophy in Dragons Dogma II. Never played the first for more than 2 hours and got mega addicted to DD2.

Looks like a great debut for DD2 given that it only captures a week and a half of being on sale. Hope it continues to get more people playing it, but I don't personally see it becoming one of Capcom's best selling titles. I do, however, think that MonHun fans that enjoy single player games is a big audience that should try the game out. It's not quite like Monster Hunter but it has a few qualities to it that feel like MH, namely the large enemy fight mechanics and stamina management.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Someone please buy 10 million more copies of Ōkami so we can get another sequel. Please.

Obscure

Oct 27, 2017
It's not going to get any legs until we hear of what Capcom actually decides to do in regards to post-launch support for the game along with a bunch of hefty sales, but Capcom declaring that it's a major franchise for them now hopefully means the next game would actually have staffing equal to the other major franchises and would launch in a much better state, rather than the 1/4th of the typical Capcom major title development staff as far as people are currently aware.

That "rumour" was hilarious and it's already debunked: https://www.mobygames.com/game/220049/dragons-dogma-ii/credits/playstation-5/

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
If you told me in 2012 that Monster Hunter would sell over 100M and Dragon's Dogma over 10M, I would've called you a liar.

Congratulations Capcom! As a longtime fan of both series, even when they were niche, I'm glad to see them succeed.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
more context on the RE sales:

View: https://twitter.com/cvxfreak/status/1793127655497412947?t=_f-PsLzR9yiNYqqjfmOQng&s=19

View: https://twitter.com/cvxfreak/status/1793146000749547963?t=inXfJaWpp2nLCzbXcAeSiA&s=19

RE:2 and 7 have kept on track to surpass Resi 5 eventually.

Village is very close to the 10M mark (which they expected to hit at 2025).

Resident Evil 4 (2023) will most likely surpass 3 remake soon, Village somewhat later.

While it's impressive that 2R and 7 got to where they did as fast as they did, it amazes me that 5 still maintains this long and 5 Remake is going to be insane and a lot of people are probably not going to take that too well lol

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
GAA1+2 still feel like such miracles to me. The team fighting to finish the story they'd started, the bundle's producer's hail mary to give the games a second chance and a localization, and even the original conception of the project, with Takumi fusing his influences into his own creation. It might've taken some persistent discounting and bundles but I'm really happy it hit the milli mark.

I just read this, and it makes me even more grateful that I took the plunge to start this series. I bought AA Trilogy and GAAC on Switch (and again on Steam)

Bless Makino san for making this available internationally. To think we could have missed out on an absolute gem.

I hope these sales will make Capcom consider a GAA3 in the near future...

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I'm nervous about the future of DMC. A decision on that will probably be made soon. DMC5 sold better than I could have imagined.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
The attach rate for people buying Iceborn and Sunbreak is incredible. Must be up there with some of the highest conversion rate of people buying DLC.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm nervous about the future of DMC. A decision on that will probably be made soon. DMC5 sold better than I could have imagined.

No younger staff is going to take up the project unless Itsuno essentially forces it upon them. We've seen this issue before in the Japanese game industry where younger staffers don't want to step up.

Kojima talked about it all the time when he was trying to get away from the MGS series but nobody wanted to do it.

Has Capcom given out numbers on MH Rise how much each platform has sold?
They've long since discontinued reporting individual platforms for newer games, but Rise was exclusive to Switch long enough to know that it's in excess of 7.5 million copies, as the last update we got for Rise prior to the PC release had it at that figure. It's assuredly well over 8 million by now, and very likely to have surpassed the PS4 version of World for the single platform sales record.