• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Matt Walker, producer at Capcom, stressed in an interview with VG247 that Capcom won't dismiss DmC.

Talking about DMC 5, Walker said that going the DMC 5 route wasn't meant as a slight for Ninja Theory's take on the series.

"This is definitely a game for the fans – we've heard fans asking for a sequel to the storyline of DMC4 for over ten years. But this isn't a slight at Ninja Theory or DmC at all. We all love DmC."

Walker added that Itsuno said that he is as proud of DmC as all other titles, and that he regards it as important as the other DMC titles.

"Itsuno-san himself has explicitly stated that in his mind, DmC is just as important as any of the other titles in the series, and he's just as proud of it. That game had an amazing world all its own, that could only have been produced by the amazing artists and imaginations at Ninja Theory."

It is worth noting that Itsuno and the core team of DMC were involved in DmC to some capacity, as Itsuno was credited as a supervising director (according to his Wikipedia page).

Walker said also that Itsuno took what he learned from working with Ninja Theory on DmC and applied it to DMC5

"We learned a lot from working with Ninja Theory on that title, and we hope that they benefited in some way as well. Itsuno-san has stressed several times in conversations with me that he's taken what he's learned from working on DmC and applied what he's learned specifically to what we've done on DMC5."

Via VG247

Azure Wanderer

Alt-Account
Jun 27, 2018
DmC was a great game sacrificed by salty fanboys. Glad Itsuno can see the good things.

Nero is totally based on NeoDante.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah It wasn't my thing, but it was unique to me, or the surroundings was at least. Really hope none of the weird shit like the dick jokes or rifle abortion stuff is brought to DMC 5.
Just really concerned about the OST at this point and hoping on the Dante side to carry me tune wise at least.

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if they'll crib anything from DmC's environmental design. Iirc that was something everyone could appreciate , fans and haters alike.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you will ever hear a Japanese developer speak ill of a company's product. If he is genuine, all the better.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
DmC is not a bad game to play, its the thematic and character design side that lets it down

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
DmC was great. Far from perfect, but it was great. Tons of fun to play, and a really cool art style. Loved the environments in the game and how vibrant the colors were.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
That's good to hear. I liked DmC much more than 4 even if the fighting itself could get boring after a while, at least in the original version. Everything else was great though.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Not too surprising. The DMC5 trailer made it clear that they were distilling all the good/salvageable parts from DmC and were applying it into a proper sequel. Honestly the best way they could've handled this.

May 17, 2018
fantastic news. the only DMC games I routinely replay are DMC3SE and DmC. DMC combat is fantastic, great enemies, and the level design was genius. Say whatever you want about "your Dante" but those other factors I mentioned are hard to debate against.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
DmC:DE is legit top tier DMC right alongside 3, and I really fuckin hope some of the modes in that game like Must Style and Training Mode are in 5

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Didn't like DmC that much but this boss battle I will never forget

latest

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
DmC was good, most of the complaints I heard was about his hair which to me was a bit ridiculous.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
take whatever you want as long as you are ADDING from previous titles instead of substituting some stuff for different stuff...

especially anything outside of combat since dmc4 was dreadful outside of that sweet combat

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Of course DmC Dante's aerial focused combat & whip grab stuff was based off of Nero.

DmC is fine but it sucks that it's left this eternal rift in the fanbase. If they messaged it as this guest studio giving their own interpretation of established characters, world's and designs rather than this replacement thing then maybe shit wouldn't be so toxic.

Like how you get different takes on comic characters by different artists. Compared with the way a film series reboot just replaces the old continuity outright.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's better than DMC2 in terms of gameplay but that's about it. I hope it inspires Capcom to craft a better narrative for these games. I kinda wish they took a step back from the whole "cool" thing and rather put that effort into making a coherent story. DMC hasn't had a decent narrative since DMC3.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DmC was easily the most artistically and visually interesting title in the entire series, the previous four games seem bland by comparison

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Yup, completely agree. DmC is the best in the series to me and one of my favorite games of the ps360 gen. The combat felt so good and I thought the edgier Dante was really fun.

Wakka212

Oct 30, 2017
DmC is one of my favorite in the series. Sure the character designs weren't my favorite, but the overall world, art direction, and combat fluidity were awesome. I really loved the control scheme because it reduced the barriers and inefficiencies to get you to incredible and stylish combos faster. I loved being able to alternate between the triggers and get wildly different attacks on the fly.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
As he should. There are some great new mechanics and design ideas in DmC that I'd be happy to see in the OG series.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
There definitely was a lot to learn form DmC.

Primarily how to learn to shut the fuck up and not sabotage your own sales by running your mouth.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
take THAT people who didn't like DmC!!! it's actually the best game!! checkmate marks!!!

They're taking good ideas from that game and applying it to the game those fans want, that's cool.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Alright, Ive only played the Definite.
Oh well you lucked out then, original ver had so many not good gameplay decisions, which is why it got shat on alongside the story telling and shitposts about not wanting to try something new for the series at the time.
Definitie Edition went to fucking town on the gameplay balances, I think it was like a huge stack of paper full of changes, but I don't have that image on me.
I will never not be upset at the original for completely robbing you of half your fighting style when color coded enemies appeared.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It definitely shows in the trailer for DMC5. I don't mind it at all, I loved DmC.

I hope one day they continue DmC.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
DmC is the only one I've ever enjoyed.

It's just the right type of bat-shit crazy, imo.

Game mechanics are good, too.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DMC2 is one of the worst videogames ever made in history. DmC can't even begin to be compared to that trash.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
as if they would have publicly thrown someone under the bus ...

Yeah. That is probably is just some press talk. You must also consider even if they plainly hated what they did with the DMC with DmC, it doesn't much sense for them to bash their own output.

DmC was easily the most artistically and visually interesting title in the entire series, the previous four games seem bland by comparison

I have to agree. Going from DMC 4 to DmC is interesting indeed, but DMC 4 is just amazing artistically and technically. It was released in 2008, and I am still blown away by the quality of its cutscenes.

It's better than DMC2 in terms of gameplay but that's about it. I hope it inspires Capcom to craft a better narrative for these games. I kinda wish they took a step back from the whole "cool" thing and rather put that effort into making a coherent story. DMC hasn't had a decent narrative since DMC3.

I actually was impressed by the whole They Live thing they did in DmC. It seems the story will have some focus in DMC 5, though.

Dante, Vergil, and maybe Nero are all interesting characters, and you can build a pretty decent role around them

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Oh well you lucked out then, original ver had so many not good gameplay decisions, which is why it got shat on alongside the story telling.
Definitie Edition went to fucking town on the gameplay balances, I think it was like a huge stack of paper full of changes, but I don't have that image on me.
I will never not be upset at the original for completely robbing you of half your fighting style when color coded enemies appeared.
Interesting, I had no idea that the updates are so extensive.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Stuff like this and the DmC Costume in MVC:I and nod in DMC4:SE has me thinking we'll definitely see some more DmC nods in DMC5.
I can understand fans and the reasons they dislike it. But it's nice to see that people so much higher up don't see it as a bad game (Since by all accounts it really isn't).
It can be divisive sure, but it was never in the same tier as DMC2 or something like Dino Crisis 3.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Glad they didn't go the NT route of shitting on fans of the previous games.

There is tons of stuff I'd like to see from DmC in 5 including must style and training mode.