• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
What an embarrassing post.
What is embarrassing is none of you knowing how Monster Hunter operates. Generational refreshes are always bare bones, because the entire core is built from the ground up again. What happened with the third gen, Tri, is happening with World now. Every game from here is going to be built upon this core, and will be better for it. But even with that, MHW has more content than any other previous generation refresh, and the sales are hand over fist better. None of you have a leg to stand on, World is an overwhelming success.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
What is embarrassing is none of you knowing how Monster Hunter operates. Generational refreshes are always bare bones, because the entire core is built from the ground up again. What happened with the third gen, Tri, is happening with World now. Every game from here is going to be built upon this core, and will be better for it. But even with that, MHW has more content than any other previous generation refresh, and the sales are hand over fist better. None of you have a leg to stand on, World is an overwhelming success.
MH4 had more content tbh. But yes MHW did incredibly well upfront.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

MHW is a absolute success, no one is questioning it. It's the best-selling on the series after all. There's not even to say otherwise.

What is being said is that the title is now without legs since in this quarter it sold 400k compared to the huge number of before. And for that to get better, Capcom needs to do something about live services on the game to gauge more interest on the game and get more buyers.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
maybe not, but seems like its gunna sell close to 1 mill in china alone, so I would say it will get close to 2 million world wide on pc near launch.
I believe that's just pre-order placeholders, people haven't actually paid money for that and can still cancel it. That said, 1 million on PC within the first month is still a high probability. China has a huge potential as Monster Hunter Online is very successful there.

zomgbbqftw

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Do you understand that MH was an annual franchise? Capcom released new and updated games almost every year, and they were making bank. I don't believe people on Xbox One and PS4 gonna buy millions of copies of re-releases and games based on World every year. They sold World to the new audience, and now the novelty is gone, sales are dropped like a rock, legs are terrible. Again, good luck with selling almost the same game every year on high end HD platforms.

I guess you've never heard of a little game called FIFA? It's the same game with updated squads every year. Even CoD fits into that category.

If anything annual series are easier to achieve on HD consoles, the market for them clearly exists

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It is. Monster Hunter was reworked from the ground up going from Freedom Unite to Tri, and XX to World. Do you think they rebuild skeletons and physics for every game?
They do for each gen starting with Tri. Tri, 4 and World are each new asset and design resets. 4 wasn't built off Tri anymore than Tri was off Dos.

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom must be seriously kicking themselves for not bringing the game to home platforms sooner. I don't know if MHW just came to consoles at the right time or what, those numbers are ridiculous.

Doesn't help that Nintendo 3DS fans shouted from the rooftops that a console MH would be a failure and would sell nowhere near the 3DS versions. Who knew bringing a HD version with several QoL changes would resonate so greatly? I'm glad Capcom finally brought the series back to console. I'm enjoying it immensely.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
We're at the "no legs" narrative now I see

IvRQYE4.jpg

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I believe that's just pre-order placeholders, people haven't actually paid money for that and can still cancel it. That said, 1 million on PC within the first month is still a high probability. China has a huge potential as Monster Hunter Online is very successful there.
I also think the bounce off rate wont be as big on pc. pc players tend to like complex systems heavy wki games. I think mh is a better fit on pc, in terms of type of players that would play it, than ps4/xb1

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I also think the bounce off rate wont be as big on pc. pc players tend to like complex systems heavy wki games. I think mh is a better fit on pc, in terms of type of players that would play it, than ps4/xb1
Additionally I expect lots of the remaining console players to double dip and migrate to PC continuing there and building the community. I think the PC release is going to do really well overall.

It'll be interesting to see how platform splits go for MHWU.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the problem more the post-launch support rather than the type of game it is?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Do you understand that MH was an annual franchise? Capcom released new and updated games almost every year, and they were making bank. I don't believe people on Xbox One and PS4 gonna buy millions of copies of re-releases and games based on World every year. They sold World to the new audience, and now the novelty is gone, sales are dropped like a rock, legs are terrible. Again, good luck with selling almost the same game every year on high end HD platforms.

thread already a mess.

Nov 3, 2017
For the no legz narrative to have substance, MHW must compare poorly with previous MHs. How were previous MHs selling at this stage in their lifecycle?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess you've never heard of a little game called FIFA? It's the same game with updated squads every year. Even CoD fits into that category.

If anything annual series are easier to achieve on HD consoles, the market for them clearly exists
I'm not even sure you can compare MHW to games like FIFA or CoD at all with annual releases of HD games. Capcom doesn't have the man power for that. EA and Activision's 9-10k employees to Capcoms 2k is a huge discrepancy. It's why I have been baffled that Capcom didn't even go the service route to continuously build up MHW to have a greater deal of content closer to past titles so that by the time the next game is ready, it could have a greater cast of monsters and content as part of its base. Instead it's random events with no plans or scheduling to fill people in on of what's to come.

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the no legz narrative to have substance, MHW must compare poorly with previous MHs. How were previous MHs selling at this stage in their lifecycle?
Not having legs doesn't mean it wasn't a success and no one at all is denying its success. You might as well not even be in this thread if you're actually not even going to talk about what's in the financials and instead here just to rile people up who do want to talk about it. And MHW dropped 94% from quarter to quarter showing that MHW is entirely front loaded. Still a success. Which is why the PC version was moved up from its fall release to now in order to move the needle ASAP because they want that 10mil. Still a success.

Move on or get out.

Oct 25, 2017
  1. In the Pachinko & Pachislo sub-segment, while the Company launched Okami -Kaidouhen- in a weak market environment, demand declined and sales struggled due to the downturn in consumer confidence and dampening investments by the Pachinko/Pachislo hall operators.
  2. The Arcade Games Sales sub-segment also struggled and business was generally weak, due to a lack of new products.
  3. The resulting net sales were 376 million yen (down 73.1% year-over-year) and an operating loss of 154 million yen (compared to an operating loss of 229 million yen in the same term of the previous fiscal year).

I wonder if this means they'll either double down on pachinko or just pull out by next year.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
What makes you think they could sell annual updates on any platform now? Times have changed and consumer habits have changed with digital. Why would a switch owner run out and buy the game every year any more than a xbox or ps4 owner?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom only has one game announced for the next FY so it will be interesting to see how they fill things out. Ace Attorney(both ports and a new release) seem likely given when the previous game released and rumors we've heard. There's also that Mega Man X tease.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this means they'll either double down on pachinko or just pull out by next year.
I believe it's more than just Capcom, I think Konami also showed a decline in the pachinko/pachislot area as well, which to me says something is going on in this market. So I'm curious how these companies are going to handle it as well.

It's a dangerous situation more so for Capcom though because it could be another loss of additional revenue source.

Oct 26, 2017
Capcom only has one game announced for the next FY so it will be interesting to see how they fill things out. Ace Attorney(both ports and a new release) seem likely given when the previous game released and rumors we've heard. There's also that Mega Man X tease.

What do you mean?
They have Mega Man 11, RE2 and DMC V coming before the end of March and MHW PC.

ASarafanov

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Japan

Do you really compare FIFA and CoD with MH? Lol. Those games have insane legs. MHW already completely dead in that department. Novelty is gone, new players tired, game's dropped like a rock from the charts. Do u think Capcom will sell 8-10 million of MH every year? Good luck with that.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Not having legs doesn't mean it wasn't a success and no one at all is denying its success. You might as well not even be in this thread if you're actually not even going to talk about what's in the financials and instead here just to rile people up who do want to talk about it. And MHW dropped 94% from quarter to quarter showing that MHW is entirely front loaded. Still a success. Which is why the PC version was moved up from its fall release to now in order to move the needle ASAP because they want that 10mil. Still a success.

Move on or get out.
In addition (to "legs" comments), it wasn't even discounted properly so far:

hYN1R2Z.png

^ it's literally nothing compared to many modern AAA/AA games. For comparison, Battlefront II from EA:

lVMGON2.png

or Assassin's Creed Origins from Ubisoft:

YkEbSsb.png

So I'm pretty sure that Holiday Season/Black Friday sales will give another boost to MHW.

ASarafanov

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Japan

hYN1R2Z.png

^ it's literally nothing compared to many modern AAA/AA games. For comparison, Battlefront II from EA:

lVMGON2.png

YkEbSsb.png

So I'm pretty sure that Holiday Season/Black Friday sales will give another boost to MHW.
Who cares about PSN trends? Look at the charts worldwide, browse retail sites. Game is available at a discout price almost everywhere, and it's still dead in the charts.

P.s. Re-release with a new low official price coming out in Japan soon, it won't help the game too much, we'll see soon.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

hYN1R2Z.png

lVMGON2.png

YkEbSsb.png

Battlefront 2 probably isn't the best example lol.

ASarafanov

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Japan
What makes you think they could sell annual updates on any platform now? Times have changed and consumer habits have changed with digital. Why would a switch owner run out and buy the game every year any more than a xbox or ps4 owner?
Check EU charts as well. You won't see MHW in there. It died in march or so, 2 months after the launch.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Due to staggered western launches it sort of throws things off, you're looking at Japan only for handhelds vs global for World. And there's also different times of year to consider, but for their 2nd quarters:

MHP3: 500k
MH4: 1.2m
MHX: 100k
MHW: 400k

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
Presentation Slides got added

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/html/explanation/2019/1st/1.html

There is one interesting Slide Here

pdf_8.png

Firstly their main forecast now became merging of New SKU forecast and Catalog titles forecast instead of separating them like recently , They still separate their forecast for catalog prediction and New SKU Prediction in the catalog titles ratio , but it isn't the main forecast like before and is hidden now and became a side thing inside the main front Merged Forecast , I personally bet that this is their answer to counter MHW "not-as-expected" legs and them seeing the reception for RE2 and DMCV makes them believe that they will overperform in New SKU Forecast ( Which Was 7.4M) and Underperform in Catalog Titles Forecast ( Which was 17.4M )

They made ratios for Overseas , Digital and Catalog titles , which would be very helpful in calculating things , They applied those ratios for the same quarters in the previous two years

Capcom sold 4.3M Copies in this 3 months both New SKU and Catalogs titles , Which was 85.1% Overseas and 14.9% Japan , Digital was 62.1% , Catalog Titles were 74.7% and New SKU 25.3%

Last edited: