• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Them merging catalogue and new units is a new one yeah. It's odd that they're continuing to do less elaborating on their data ever since last year.

It's also odd they don't consider MM11 part of their sales examples for Q3 even though they did it for USFII.

Oct 26, 2017
Check EU charts as well. You won't see MHW in there. It died in march or so, 2 months after the launch.

Whats your point?
MHW is the best selling and the fastest selling MH title to date, of course it won't have old MH legs, out of the gate MHW sold way above everyone expectations, don't expect to sell >500k at every quarter, the game has already sold a lot. You are litterally ignoring MHW success and you only focus on "No legs".

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom is becoming less and less transparent and now longer give catalog and new title sales separately. Investors are getting less and less information out of Capcom and that is worrying.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Presentation Slides got added

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/html/explanation/2019/1st/1.html

There is one interesting Slide Here

pdf_8.png

Firstly they merged New SKU and Catalog titles in one forecast instead of separating them like they used to make recently ,I personally bet that this is their answer to counter MHW "not-as-expected" legs and them seeing the reception for RE2 and DMCV makes them believe that they will overperform in New SKU Forecast ( Which Was 7.4M) and Underperform in Catalog Titles Forecast ( Which was 17.4M )

They made ratios for Overseas , Digital and Catalog titles , which would be very helpful in calculating things , They applied those ratios for the same quarters in the previous two years

Capcom sold 4.3M Copies in this 3 months both New SKU and Catalogs titles , Which was 85.1% Overseas and 14.9% Japan , Digital was 62.1% , Catalog Titles were 74.7% and New SKU 25.3%
Interesting. That means Capcom's new releases during FYQ1 (SF30AC, MMLC1+2 Switch, RE7 Cloud) sold 1,100,550. Much more than I'd have expected tbh.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
I guess you've never heard of a little game called FIFA? It's the same game with updated squads every year. Even CoD fits into that category.

If anything annual series are easier to achieve on HD consoles, the market for them clearly exists

I don't think it's really comparable.

Fifa is a sport game. People are buying new iteration not for new content, but for stats changes in teams/players to reflect actual football season. (i never understood why people acted like that but its another story)
COD brings a new campagne each time,new maps, new weapons and mecanics... It's not just the same game with a new content. It's a whole new game.

For Monster Hunter World, we still have to see if Western playerbase would buy a G version a year later. I don't think so western market is on GAAS mode now. But we'll see.

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
Technically , u still can know the predictions of Catalogue and New SKU if you went the trouble of making a little math , But What Capcom did is sneakily hiding the separation into a side row and brought the merging as the main front Prediction , so at the end of the year Capcom will be asked for the combined 25K instead of being asked about New SKU and Catalogue forecasts separetly So Even if they failed in either of New SKU or Catalogue , the Merged result is the important one now , It looked like there is no chance in hell they will make that ridiculous 17.4M for Catalogue SKU , but if you added Remake2 and DMCV Sales to it , then it might be possible to even make the combined prediction , and thats what Capcom did here

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom non giving the "new SKU/catalogue" split anymore is disappointing.

Sorry for not being Clear earlier , Capcom actually gives the New SKU/Catalogue split if you went the trouble of doing a math with the percent of Catalogue titles sales provided , but what is new here is that their main front forecast now became a merging of the two instead of the main being a separating of the two , so now even if they failed in one of them , it doesn't matter as long as they reach the Total merged forecast which is 25K

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
There was a report few weeks ago about MHW losing popularity. A lot of new players already tired of MH and quit. Post-launch support were terrible. And sales, again, dropped hard. I expect PC version follow the same trajectory - hype from the new audience from the start, and then falling.
What would you like to have seen of post-launch support that wouldnt make it terrible in your opinion?

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Presentation Slides got added

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/html/explanation/2019/1st/1.html

There is one interesting Slide Here

pdf_8.png

Firstly their main forecast now became merging of New SKU forecast and Catalog titles forecast instead of separating them like recently , They still separate their forecast for catalog prediction and New SKU Prediction in the catalog titles ratio , but it isn't the main forecast like before and is hidden now and became a side thing inside the main front Merged Forecast , I personally bet that this is their answer to counter MHW "not-as-expected" legs and them seeing the reception for RE2 and DMCV makes them believe that they will overperform in New SKU Forecast ( Which Was 7.4M) and Underperform in Catalog Titles Forecast ( Which was 17.4M )

They made ratios for Overseas , Digital and Catalog titles , which would be very helpful in calculating things , They applied those ratios for the same quarters in the previous two years

Capcom sold 4.3M Copies in this 3 months both New SKU and Catalogs titles , Which was 85.1% Overseas and 14.9% Japan , Digital was 62.1% , Catalog Titles were 74.7% and New SKU 25.3%

So, basically

Total units: 4,300,000

Overseas: 3,701,850 Japan: 648,150
Digital: 2,701,350 Retail: 1,648,650
Catalog: 3,249,450 New: 1,100,550

Definitely higher than I expected for this quarter, given what they released. Probably there is overshipment involved, but still quite higher.

And yes, the constant process of hiding sales infos from Capcom is worrying. It's not the first time Capcom does this: first they didn't give any forecast for MH:W, then they stopped giving forecasts for major titles altogether, and now their forecasts don't split between new and catalog. Yes, we can still extrapolate the results due to the percentages, but you don't know how their forecasts was composed. As Cyberpunk already explained, it means we'll never know when it's one cathegory falling behind their forecast with the other filling the void thanks to outperformance. Honestly, I don't know if stakeholders can feel that at ease about the company they've invested into hiding more and more information as time goes on, trying to control the message as hard as they can. Also, I'm surprised such behaviour hasn't been picked already by major outlets, especially the ones specialized in business gaming news.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck? It did have legs, you're in a thread talking about the game selling an additional 400k copies.
This.

Really, how does selling another 400K in a quarter mean "sales really stalled" and "without legs" now? Are people seriously expecting the game to continue selling millions every 3 months?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that worries me , Is that they strangely didn't update Platinum page until now

Could this be the end of it ?

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
Holy fuck are some console warriors desperate to still prove their false "they betrayed muh userbase" narrative right. Shows again that certain people are more interested to have this series in their shitty list wars than to have better games and making MH a great success along the way.

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
Yeah, it's the perfect game for GaaS. As it is, people get bored fast, some might not even buy into MHW2 if it happens because a lot of those sales were from people that have heard about monster hunter for years but never tried them because it was mainly on the DS.

If they did an expansion pass with new areas, monsters and gear it would pull more people in, If it stays like this, it might lose the interest of western people pretty fast.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
How come they haven't said anything about a G version for MHW yet btw? Also, is it safe to sell the disc or will I need that in the future?

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Best to ignore this poster. They've had a bone to pick with MHW for a while now as they constantly scream no legs in the Media Create threads and don't seem to be arguing in good faith. Take the results for what they are.

Not just this game. The poster puts a positive spin on everything Nintendo focused and a negative one on anything that isn't. Then they deleted most of their old posts when others started noticing the agenda. It's probably someone's alt account.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Too bad no one is actually interested in discussing Capcom financial results in here lol. Thread is just a MHW hype/doom crew.

Though I suppose there isn't a heck of a lot to discuss when Capcom is opting to obscure its results by folding categories into each other, not revealing guidance, etc.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
So not only is their presentation slides half the length of the same quarter last year. It's omitting some data like this which you would find on the last page:

pdf_26.png

The above highlights software sales by each platform.

This is the last page of the current 1st quarter results:
pdf_13.png

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Not just this game. The poster puts a positive spin on everything Nintendo focused and a negative one on anything that isn't. Then they deleted most of their old posts when others started noticing the agenda. It's probably someone's alt account.
Looking at his post history, every MH thread hits a nerve. An explosion of negative posts then deletions.

How come they haven't said anything about a G version for MHW yet btw? Also, is it safe to sell the disc or will I need that in the future?
G-rank installments tend to be a year+ out from the vanilla release, and given that they're not done releasing content for the base game yet, it's still going to be a while yet. I'm not even expecting it to show up at TGS, since they'll have REmake 2 and DMCV to focus on.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
yeah, like ATVI, EA, Ubisoft and basically all other publishers (except maybe Nintendo)
Yeah, it's not exclusive to Capcom. Investors should really be grilling publishers about this during Q&A period. Though I guess most of them probably don't even care and just want to hear what their dividend will be.

What's the normal lifetime sales for a Monster Hunter game?
Usually in the 4-5m range. MHW had a slight domestic decline, but massive growth overseas and is by far the highest selling game in the series history.

Capcom should be updating their Platinum Titles page soon for more detailed sales info.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
G-rank installments tend to be a year+ out from the vanilla release, and given that they're not done releasing content for the base game yet, it's still going to be a while yet. I'm not even expecting it to show up at TGS, since they'll have REmake 2 and DMCV to focus on.
But how does that version work? A DLC or a separate disc?

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
So not only is their presentation slides half the length of the same quarter last year. It's omitting some data like this which you would find on the last page:

pdf_26.png

The above highlights software sales by each platform.

This is the last page of the current 1st quarter results:
pdf_13.png

Yep , for some reason they removed that " Sales by Platform " Page that used to be there for over a decade , Add that to them strangely not updating the platinum page , then there is something strange

The only Sales so far that Capcom mentioned are the MHW doing 8.3M and that page with the Merging of New SKU and Catalogues , Which doesn't look the capcom way in Revealing their sales data

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
thread already a mess.

Yeah, console warring in full effect. I will say though, 400k for a 3 month period on MHW is lower than I was expecting. They'll have a solid PC launcg in August though which will help.

Now I'm comcerned about their G ramk plans. You would think they would divulge some tidbit by now.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Capcom must be seriously kicking themselves for not bringing the game to home platforms sooner.
They did tried a Console MH a lot several times. World success is personally is based on graphics, proper marketing, and in a sense, Timing, as much as I dont like that Trend, Dark Souls really became meme for "its hard but its good" so calling MHW as "Dark Souls with Dinosaurs" was the right choice for some.

that being said althought it had a records breaking launch for Capcom, it also didnt have the legs previous games did (400K "only" in Q1 post release). but not that it will hinder its 10M goal given PC release has like several millions already is pre-order only

4 - 6M IIRC

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This pretty much confirms the lack of legs. It's been pretty obvious by looking at charts, but the actual numbers prove it. Game did great, not taking that away from it. But no legs at all.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
They did tried a Console MH a lot several times. World success is personally is based on graphics, proper marketing, and in a sense, Timing, as much as I dont like that Trend, Dark Souls really became meme for "its hard but its good" so calling MHW as "Dark Souls with Dinosaurs" was the right choice for some.

that being said althought it had a records breaking launch for Capcom, it also didnt have the legs previous games did (400K "only" in Q1 post release). but not that it will hinder its 10M goal given PC release has like several millions already is pre-order only

4 - 6M IIRC

There wasn't a 10M goal.

At 5M it already exceeded their expectations for the last FY.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ca...our-target-for-the-current-fiscal-year.23202/

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm gonna lose it guys, how do you sell an additional 400k if a game doesn't have legs? Do some of you even read the OP before posting shit?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
MHW is the best selling and the fastest selling MH title to date, of course it won't have old MH legs, out of the gate MHW sold way above everyone expectations, don't expect to sell >500k at every quarter, the game has already sold a lot. You are litterally ignoring MHW success and you only focus on "No legs".

Shareholders and investors revise expectations as new information and signals come in. Once MH became a big AAA franchise and sold 7m+ in a couple of months, they were expecting more legs and sales over time. The installed base is there.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna lose it guys, how do you sell an additional 400k if a game doesn't have legs? Do some of you even read the OP before posting shit?
That really depends on if you consider 400k good legs. The game sold a lot at launch, so that would obviously raise the expectations people have.