• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
The people fear mongering about the sequel performing poorly are nuts to me. Can you guys show me some examples of highly praised, well received games performing worse with a highly praised sequel? So assuming that Capcom doesn't fuck up the sequel, what examples can you guys point out of those sequels underperforming?

tumblr_lvc67s1bQS1r2qm09o1_400.gif

just messing, kinda

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I remember a post in the media create threads that said the massive dev and promotion costs keep MHW from being "truly' profitable. LMAO

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
They released the Q&A and nothing about the platinum page .... damn capcom you are better than this =P

I want to see SF5 to finally pass Arms ! xD

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I remember a post in the media create threads that said the massive dev and promotion costs keep MHW from being "truly' profitable. LMAO

I still need to the receipts on the "MHW marketing budget was insanely high" claims. It didn't seem that much more prolific than previous games and in Asia where the marketing was arguably the most intense, Sony likely footed a substantial sum of the bill.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Man, what a thread, people really getting incredibly defensive for simple facts related to this quarters sales. Having a 95% decline or more appropriately collapse in its second quarter isn't exactly great news regarding ongoing sales/legs, but some really take it personally instead of acknowledging simple facts, it's not like anyone is saying it wasn't a success overall and all things considered regardless of sales slowing down already, it just means that at least the PS4/XboxOne version of the game were more frontloaded.

To add some context, because otherwise it seems some really have a hard time to acknowledge that it's a valid argument that there has been quite a sharp decline after a good 1st quarter, these 400k units (a 95% decline) in its second quarter were shipped for two systems, while for the same quarter today we got new data from Nintendo that almost a year after its release, Splatoon 2 shipped 740k units just on Switch in Q1 2018, that's almost double on a single system.

Considering legs and sales trends of these two games, Splatoon 2 is heading towards beating MHW on PS4+Xone lifetime sales, despite more explosive sales in the beginning, simply due to one having strong legs, while the console versions of MHW don't look like to be able to keep up. Good for Capcom that they habe a PC Version ready to launch, because the console versions of MHW already seem to have reached already a good part of its potential audience on PS4/Xone.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding LEGZ it's important to remember that shipped =/= sold. I mentioned it upthread but MHW has been tracking well in key western markets (US, UK, Germany), which leads me to believe the low shipment this quarter is more due to overshipping somewhat initially and supply now normalizing. These low shipments likely make the game's legs seem weaker than they are in reality, although the game did collapse hard in Japan at least (worst legs since the PS2 games there, budget reprint coming just 6 months later).

PC release will give the game a big boost and we'll get the inevitable G version in 2019 probably. Things aren't bad at all for MHW looking forward.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Since catalog titles have become a very important part of Capcoms business, it will be interesting to see what plattform holders will do, regarding backwards compatibility and how digital downloads will be handled. Having to rebuy the games again would be really a joke in this day and age, the excuses are running out, no reason not to offer a similar service and compatibility to steam, but is pretty much a vital point for a healthy business for companies like Capcom until they finally have a breakthrough into the smartphone games business. Most likely they'll rerelease their catalog as 4kHD collections next gen. This gen they pretty much covered most of their stronger catalog games, at least on PS4, Xone, PC, a generational shift can't come soon enough in this regard, to revitalize catalog sales.