• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I will say the only aspect to really criticize capcom on for the Rev Collection was lack of physical in Europe.
I don't understand the reasoning as to why it didn't happen. All I can guess is they didn't want to deal with numerous codes over there for all of the different shops perhaps.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday I managed to upsell Revelations 2 to someone who thought they came as a bundle only, by saying they can buy it separately on the eshop on Switch

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I will say the only aspect to really criticize capcom on for the Rev Collection was lack of physical in Europe.
I don't understand the reasoning as to why it didn't happen. All I can guess is they didn't want to deal with numerous codes over there for all of the different shops perhaps.
Nintendo handled the distribution of previous Capcom titles on the region. It is likely that they wouldn't be up to it for the collection.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Monster Hunter becoming a worldwide brand along side Resident Evil and Street Fighter would be phenomenal.
Would be? I think it's safe to say that it's happened. I think it has potential to become Capcoms most valuable franchise too. I think it hits a wider demographic and seems more open ended for future content and ideas whereas there's only so much you can do with a 2D fighter.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
What is it about Monster Hunter that makes Capcom so damn cautious about it's projections. It's like a really protective parent, whereas it has no problems promising the moon to Resident Evil and Street Fighter.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I really wonder if Capcom will bring Monster Hunter World to Switch, it would just mean more money for Capcom.

I really wanna know Capcom's goal is for Switch.

Capcom's current games for Switch:

Resident Evil Revelations 1&2
Ultra Street Fighter II
Street Fight 30th Anniversary Collection
Monster Hunter XX
Megaman Collection 1 and 2
Megaman X Collection
Megaman 11

They didn't expect it to be a hit, they didn't plan for it and now they are readjusting. They just misread the market.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
What is it about Monster Hunter that makes Capcom so damn cautious about it's projections. It's like a really protective parent, whereas it has no problems promising the moon to Resident Evil and Street Fighter.

I was wondering the same thing. It is rather odd.
Dunno if perhaps projections are handled differently by the division themselves that work on the game.
Or they're keeping MH close to their chest for other reasons.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Monster Hunter's producer is the son of the current Capcom CEO and brother of the President. Maybe it's that.

MachGao

Oct 28, 2017
Monster Hunter's producer is the son of the current Capcom CEO and brother of the President. Maybe it's that.

I'm kinda surprised people haven't taken this info and ran with it as a reason for why a MH game can come out with little to no issues while other games get rocky releases

AaronC

Oct 29, 2017
What a delightful appetizer for the incoming Not Announcing RE2 Remake For Switch Feast

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Capcom, we need a port that you are not giving us...

It is time!:
latest

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is a port begging thread.
Im not port begging, I have already played Okami, and wouldnt buy a Disney collection anyways. But I can still critique other business decisions the company has made. Not putting those two games on the Switch was a bad business decision, especially in light of how the other games have performed.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im not port begging, I have already played Okami, and wouldnt buy a Disney collection anyways. But I can still critique other business decisions the company has made. Not putting those two games on the Switch was a bad business decision, especially in light of how the other games have performed.

Maybe, but we don't know when they started the port on Okami or how much it would have cost them. It could come in the future if the new release performed well.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
wonder if monster hunter world could hype people to buy monster hunter XX in the west, if capcom chose to bring it to the west.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe, but we don't know when they started the port on Okami or how much it would have cost them. It could come in the future if the new release performed well.
And this what is wrong. Judging how would a Zelda-like perform on Switch based on how it did on PC/XB/PS is like judging how a FPS would do on PC/XB/PS based on its Switch sales.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And this what is wrong. Judging how would a Zelda-like perform on Switch based on how it did on PC/XB/PS is like judging how a FPS would do on PC/XB/PS based on its Switch sales.

Again, we don't know the ins and out of this decision or maybe they just didn't care. Going forwards I wouldn't be surprised if they made a quick Switch port considering the Nintendo audience are lapping thier games up on the device. It would be easy profit.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Capcom has proven to me that game companies are literally only as good as their recent offerings. What I mean is this. Monster Hunter World. You put out a great game and no bullshit monetization process with it, the past is quickly forgotten. (well for me atleast and this only keeps my respect for them until the next game). Also, I am easily swayed back into fandom if any other company turns on a heel from mistakes and consistently puts out good games with good business practices.

I am really pleased they exceeded expectations with MHW!

Last edited:

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the sales of the different versions of the copies of Okami did.
I know it didn't set the world on fire on PS2 from what I remember. I don't remember how well the Wii version did though (I don't think it was great but was it more than the PS2?)
What all other systems has the game been on? Wasn't it on the 3DS or was that a different Okami?

Not sure what you mean by "new release" though.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Would be? I think it's safe to say that it's happened. I think it has potential to become Capcoms most valuable franchise too. I think it hits a wider demographic and seems more open ended for future content and ideas whereas there's only so much you can do with a 2D fighter.

Oh it is their most valuable franchise, but until this year that was limited to Japan and Asia.

But now, the world will finally understand.

They didn't expect it to be a hit, they didn't plan for it and now they are readjusting. They just misread the market.

World was in development way before the Switch. Even if they wanted to there's no way to change course that far into development.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It was a port of a game that was already ported to current consoles. They don't need to heavily advertise the game in order for it to sell - as we can clearly tell. I'm a Switch owner myself and I was well aware of the game through the e-shop and online, so it was not lazy at all.

This passive aggressiveness between Capcom and some Switch owners is kind of ridiculous and we have to remember they don't owe Nintendo anything. A consumer buys the product via thier choice and thier choice only, they are not entitled to anything else.

I just said the initiative was lazy: announcement through a Tweet and no physical distribution in Europe. Capcom didn't bother, period.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
World was in development way before the Switch. Even if they wanted to there's no way to change course that far into development.

Capcom makes a shit ton of old ports every year, Switch got a 3DS port, a ROM and two minor PS4 ports. That's nothing.

It's not about MHW, it's about their entire catalogue of games that aren't MHW.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just said the initiative was lazy: announcement through a Tweet and no physical distribution in Europe. Capcom didn't bother, period.

You keep on saying there was no physical distribution in Europe as if they didn't have a reason. From Capcom:

"Capcom has to take various factors into account when deciding what format to deliver our titles to our fans. These can include but are not limited to overall production costs, manufacturing times, distribution, and first party regulations. In the case of Resident Evil Revelations, we've found that unfortunately it's not viable for Capcom Europe to create a physical version of the title on Nintendo Switch for our territories, however we will be making this available as a digital release."

Blame Nintendo. It's obvious the Switch tax of developing cartridges is quite high so they had no choice but to release digital in Europe, and since this is a port it wouldn't be worth it. At the end of the day business is business and if Capcom don't want to pay for the high production costs for the carts then that's fine.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great result for RER Switch. Another successful story for the console. After USF2, MHXX and this, there's little excuse for Capcom to stay skeptical toward it.

HPH

Oct 25, 2017
You keep on saying there was no physical distribution in Europe as if they didn't have a reason. From Capcom:

"Capcom has to take various factors into account when deciding what format to deliver our titles to our fans. These can include but are not limited to overall production costs, manufacturing times, distribution, and first party regulations. In the case of Resident Evil Revelations, we've found that unfortunately it's not viable for Capcom Europe to create a physical version of the title on Nintendo Switch for our territories, however we will be making this available as a digital release."

Blame Nintendo. It's obvious the Switch tax of developing cartridges is quite high so they had no choice but to release digital in Europe, and since this is a port it wouldn't be worth it. At the end of the day business is business and if Capcom don't want to pay for the high production costs for the carts then that's fine.

Yes, Capcom can do no wrong in your eyes. But the potential of this game was severely impacted with a lack of physical release in Europe.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Rev 2 was on the eShop best-sellers list for a decent period of time, so I imagine it had to do OK

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

One of the factors showing Capcom's laziness is the promotion. The game was literally announced via Twitter. Marketing was so minimal that Capcom didn't even advertise the new features until a few weeks before the release. We started getting some promotion in November.

Also, it's pretty embarrassing a huge company like Capcom can't find resources for the first appearance of its major franchise on a successful console, especially in a world where games like Portal Knights, Night of Azure 2 and Lost Sphear get a retail version in Europe too.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Capcom can do no wrong in your eyes. But the potential of this game was severely impacted with a lack of physical release in Europe.

Did you not read the post at all? Or are you just going to ignore it and make sly comments? The latter then.

One of the factors showing Capcom's laziness is the promotion. The game was literally announced via Twitter. Marketing was so minimal that Capcom didn't even advertise the new features until a few weeks before the release. We started getting some promotion in November.

Also, it's pretty embarrassing a huge company like Capcom can't find resources for the first appearance of its major franchise on a successful console, especially in a world where games like Portal Knights, Night of Azure 2 and Lost Sphear get a retail version in Europe too.

That's irrelevant. The game had plenty of promotion online and in the e-shop and they also created a promotional video for the game by highlighting how it works with Switch' capabilities. That's enough for a port.

Like I said, Capcom are a business first and foremost and if Nintendo can't produce lower priced carts then it of course won't be worth them forking out for ports so it's not embarrassing at all. Comparing the game with other games doesn't work either as it's not on a one to one basis.

As for Lost Sphere. From Nintendo Everything:

Lost Sphear isn't off to such a great start in Japan. Combined sales of the Switch and PlayStation 4 versions are just over 13,000 copies. On Switch specifically, the RPG sold roughly 6,000 units in its first week.

Data from Dengeki further points to a lack of interest in Lost Sphear. According to its numbers, the game sold through just 20 percent of its initial shipment. Not only is Lost Sphear selling slowly so far, but Square Enix may have overestimated interest and there will likely be an overabundance of copies sitting on store shelves.

Lost Sphere was a flop that would have benefitted from being digital only as I'm pretty sure they lost a lot of revenue from these over priced carts even further.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
That's irrelevant. The game had plenty of promotion online and in the e-shop and they also created a promotional video for the game by highlighting how it works with Switch' capabilities. That's enough for a port.

Like I said, Capcom are a business first and foremost and if Nintendo can't produce lower priced carts then it of course won't be worth them forking out for ports so it's not embarrassing at all. Comparing the game with other games doesn't work either as it's not on a one to one basis.

As for Lost Sphere. From Nintendo Everything:

Lost Sphere was a flop that would have benefitted from being digital only as I'm pretty sure they lost a lot of revenue from these over priced carts even further.

Wow, they even created a trailer specifically for the Switch version! What an effort! Lol. The game wasn't promoted much and was announced using a Tweet. It went almost unnoticed until November to the point that the first information about the game cane through some leafet at TGS instead through an actual announcement.

Examples show that even indie or small publisher can afford a retail release. We're talking about the major Capcom IP, not about say Okami. I think this is the first time Capcom hasn't released a retail version of a RE game in one territory and went only digital. I mean, they could afford in Japan and not in Europe? Crazy business decision also considering the fact that Capcom is a huge company.

So, in sum, the initiative was pretty lazy per se.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Okami likely wasn't included for Switch because QLOC did the port and (afaik) they're not licensed Switch devs. It makes sense although it'd have also made sense to fast track an Okami HD Switch port with another dev since it'd almost assuredly end up the best selling version by far and would be a dead simple port to do.

We just saw Bandai Namco take the opposite track with Dark Souls; PS4/PC/Xbox also being handled by QLOC but a Switch port was commisioned being done at Virtuos. And no doubt they'll be handsomely rewarded for it.

Switch platform fees are comparable to PS4 and Xbox One. Nintendo's actually eating much much more on media costs compared to Sony or MS.

The real reason RERC didn't get a retail release in Europe is probably because Nintendo didn't offer to distribute it for them like USF2. I'm still not sure why anyone would bother with retail RERC anyway since you still have to download most of it.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, they even created a trailer specifically for the Switch version! What an effort! Lol. The game wasn't promoted much and was announced using a Tweet. It went almost unnoticed until November to the point that the first information about the game cane through some leafet at TGS instead through an actual announcement.

Examples show that even indie or small publisher can afford a retail release. We're talking about the major Capcom IP, not about say Okami. I think this is the first time Capcom hasn't released a retail version of a RE game in one territory and went only digital. I mean, they could afford in Japan and not in Europe? Crazy business decision also considering the fact that Capcom is a huge company.

So, in sum, the initiative was pretty lazy per se.

You're just regurgitating the same things over and over again without listening to what anyone is saying. Again, Capcom is a business and if they didn't want to pay for Nintendo's overpriced lazily produced carts then that's upto them. They don't owe them anything not matter how "huge" they are.

The real reason RERC didn't get a retail release in Europe is probably because Nintendo didn't offer to distribute it for them like USF2. I'm still not sure why anyone would bother with retail RERC anyway since you still have to download most of it.

No offence, but "probably" isn't good enough. I'd rather believe a statement from the company that makes the game rather than anecdotal evidence. It's clear why they didn't produce carts and that was due to the expense of developing them only for a couple ports. The game still sold very well on the platform digitally so at least their work paid off.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
You're just regurgitating the same things over and over again without listening to what anyone is saying. Again, Capcom is a business and if they didn't want to pay for Nintendo's overpriced lazily produced carts then that's upto them. They don't owe them anything not matter how "huge" they are.

Yes, because I'm stating facts showing how Capcom was lazy in promoting and distributing this game. It is a collection of old games, true; but it was also the first appearance of its major IP on a wildly successful console. They could have exploited the absence of other major games from third parties and new adopters by promoting the game a bit more and pushing on the fact it was a collection.

1. early August: Capcom announces the release of the two games on Switch; no date, no details about the porting or the release;
  2. early September (one month later): Capcom announces the release date and some features of the game; first screens released (no trailer);
  3. late September: first live demo from TGS; no official trailer/video yet;
  4. mid-November: first trailer released, two weeks before launch!
Also, information about distribution across territories were pretty scant. It wasn't clear until very close to release how the two games were supposed to be released.

No offence, but "probably" isn't good enough. I'd rather believe a statement from the company that makes the game rather than anecdotal evidence. It's clear why they didn't produce carts and that was due to the expense of developing them only for a couple ports. The game still sold very well on the platform digitally so at least their work paid off.

It's always a good thing to weight correctly PRs.

In a world where indie publishers could afford a retail release and even niche games get one it's pretty baffling one of the largest Japanese publishers doesn't distribute physically a game in its major IP. Never seen something like that before and also on Switch it's a pretty unique situation. They can say a retail release wasn't worth yet it got one in North America and Japan.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but it was also the first appearance of its major IP on a wildly successful console

And it looks like the Switch userbase still lapped it up - seems like they are doing that with all the Capcom games lol. As for the rest of the post I've already addressed it (and so have Capcom) so I don't want to keep on going round in circles. They don't owe Nintendo anything.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
It doesn't include Revelations 2. The name of the game is quoted quite clearly - "BIOHAZARD REVELATIONS", not "BIOHAZARD REVELATIONS SERIES" or whatever.

I'd like to point out that the official title of the Resident Evil Revelations HD port is "Biohazard Revelations Unveiled Edition" in Japan so "Biohazard Revelations" might actually be for both titles as the full name of the title is not used as it would usually be.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
User has been warned: accusing a developer of being "lazy" because of their business decisions.
And it looks like the Switch userbase still lapped it up - seems like they are doing that with all the Capcom games lol. As for the rest of the post I've already addressed it (and so have Capcom) so I don't want to keep on going round in circles. They don't owe Nintendo anything.

No one is talking about "owing" something to someone. In a market where Portal Knights and Axiom Verge are released retail, it seems pretty lazy a major IP releases only digitally, when it has had a retail presence in other territories. Also, advertising and communication was pretty poor. Don't you think it was lazy to not announce the lack of a physical version in Europa only a few days before the release? Lol

Also, there was also the artificial increase in price of Relevations 2 to look a deal better than how it actually was.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one is talking about "owing" something to someone. In a market where Portal Knights and Axiom Verge are released retail, it seems pretty lazy a major IP releases only digitally, when it has had a retail presence in other territories. Also, advertising and communication was pretty poor. Don't you think it was lazy to not announce the lack of a physical version in Europa only a few days before the release? Lol

Also, there was also the artificial increase in price of Relevations 2 to look a deal better than how it actually was.

Nothing was "lazy" about it. It was a business decision and I can't blame them for that. Most of the sales for Rev2 would have been digital anyway as they couldn't fit both games on a limited cart. Don't see the issue at all. Anyway, I don't think this conversation is going anywhere so we'll have to agree to disagree here.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Nothing was "lazy" about it. It was a business decision and I can't blame them for that. Most of the sales for Rev2 would have been digital anyway as they couldn't fit both games on a limited cart. Don't see the issue at all. Anyway, I don't think this conversation is going anywhere so we'll have to agree to disagree here.

The collection itself wasn't released physically in Europe, not only Revelations 2 which, as far as I know, was a download code in all territories.

Don't you think announcing the game via Twitter was lazy and not a proper way to gauge interest and awareness on the project? Have you ever seen a major video game company announcing a game via Twitter? I personally haven't.

Don't you think releasing the first trailer of the game a couple of weeks before release was lazy? I mean, trailers are the first thing to release to promote a game. Two weeks before release, when the game was announced in August...?

Don't you think announcing the lack of a physical release in Europa a few days before release was lazy? Really?!

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The collection itself wasn't released physically in Europe, not only Revelations 2 which, as far as I know, was a download code in all territories.

Don't you think announcing the game via Twitter was lazy and not a proper way to gauge interest and awareness on the project? Have you ever seen a major video game company announcing a game via Twitter? I personally haven't.

Don't you think releasing the first trailer of the game a couple of weeks before release was lazy? I mean, trailers are the first thing to release to promote a game. Two weeks before release, when the game was announced in August...?

Don't you think announcing the lack of a physical release in Europa a few days before release was lazy? Really?!

Don't you think you are overreacting? Calm down lad.