• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing how Relevation sold most on Switch, it was obviously another bad business decision from Capcom to not release both games physically on Switch. Even many indies are able to release physical editions of their games, but Capcom is not able to manage this?

It seems Capcom stumbles from decision to decision without the slightest clue what to do. Sometimes they are lucky, but most times they are just making bad decisions.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Don't you think you are overreacting? Calm down lad.

I'm pretty calm. Also, the collection itself wasn't released physically in Europa, not just Revelations 2 (given your post it wasn't clear whether you knew this; additional information benefits conversation).

I just find that the advertising campaign of Revelations was pretty poor for all the reasons I stated. I have never seen a major company announcing a game via Twitter, nor announcing the detail of distribution a few days before release. That's why I asked if you think this should be normal or not, but I have yet to receive an answer.

All in all, Revelations sold well showing a receptive userbase even if the game was almost invisibile in terms of marketing effort.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing how Relevation sold most on Switch, it was obviously another bad business decision from Capcom to not release both games physically on Switch. Even many indies are able to release physical editions of their games, but Capcom is not able to manage this?

It seems Capcom stumbles from decision to decision without the slightest clue what to do. Sometimes they are lucky, but most times they are just making bad decisions.

Again, if you can read the statement, you'd realise why that was the case. If fact, given that Switch carts are expensive to produce I'd say it was a good business decision to lower costs - especially since they are ports and Rev2 was digital anyway. "Another bad business decision" that's ironic since most of their games sold on Switch performed well...and also Monster Hunter World says hi.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
One of these days there was a thread in which it was said that RER was a failure on switch with probably less than 150k sold. Alas, not only it is 250 but it is half of the lifetime sales.
Good boy Switch.

MH is a beast also, and I wonder if this success has anything to do with Destiny's downfall.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, if you can read the statement, you'd realise why that was the case. If fact, given that Switch carts are expensive to produce I'd say it was a good business decision to lower costs - especially since they are ports and Rev2 was digital anyway. "Another bad business decision" that's ironic since most of their games sold on Switch performed well...and also Monster Hunter World says hi.

Yeah all other companies that produced physical Switch games are broke now ;)

Sales of the Switch version had probably doubled with a physical release and tripled with a little bit of marketing.

The preliminary success of MHW does not make up for the fact that most of Capcoms business decisions in the recent years are baffling and most of their franchises lost value because of that.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah all other companies that produced physical Switch games are broke now ;)

Sales of the Switch version had probably doubled with a physical release and tripled with a little bit of marketing.

The preliminary success of MHW does not make up for the fact that most of Capcoms business decisions in the recent years are baffling and most of their franchises lost value because of that.

All I hear is "probably" but no strong argument. And you're actually right, some of those companies DID lose money on these over priced carts, like Tokyo RPG Factory's Lost Sphere that only sold 5,000 copies on the Switch. They would have saved more money and costs if they had opted to go digital.

RE7, MHW and SFV are still valuable IP's and are still being played or competed in around the globe now, I doubt they have lost anything, especially not in Japan. With the upcoming Mega Man game, Itsuno's project (DMCV?) and other unannounced titles I think they are doing just fine. Thier revenue went up YOY for the past 5 years for a reason.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All I hear is "probably" but no strong argument. And you're actually right, some of those companies DID lose money on these over priced carts, like Tokyo RPG Factory's Lost Sphere that only sold 5,000 copies on the Switch. They would have saved more money if they had opted to go digital.

RE7, MHW and SFV are still valuable IP's and are still being played or competed in around the globe now I doubt they have lost anything, especially not in Japan. With the upcoming Mega Man game and Itsuno's project (DMCV?) I think they are doing just fine.

Or maybe here. Just maybe. Tokyo Rpg factory should stop sucking and tries to come out with a decent product? Howabout that lol.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not the argument. Apparently any Switch game would have quadrupled in sales if it had a physical edition, obviously that's not the case.

But a physical edition is going to sell more copies. As it had been proven on US there. RE rev is a quality product. With a physical edition, it will had broader accesibilities to the gamers. There is a reason why even Indies tries to receive physical edition there.

Cacpcom is the one who tries being cheap and it end up selling lesser there.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But a physical edition is going to sell more copies. As it had been proven on US there. RE rev is a quality product. With a physical edition, it will had broader accesibilities to the gamers. There is a reason why even Indies tries to receive physical edition there.

Cacpcom is the one who tries being cheap and it end up selling lesser there.

How when it would have cost more to produce over priced carts? For all we know (because really people are guessing) the games could have sold the same number on physical copies so why not make more profit by going digital? Nothing about being cheap as it's more of a business decision.

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom has vast more data and information than we would be analysts here when it comes to their business decisions, so in that respect we should never be 100 percent dismissive on their strategies

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How when it would have cost more to produce over priced carts? For all we know (because really people are guessing) the games could have sold the same number on physical copies so why not make more profit by going digital? Nothing about being cheap as it's more of a business decision.

Then it is a matter of high risk = high gain vs low risk= low sales.

The point some is pointing is how Switch is currently riding a high momentum where most game released on the platform have did really well. Some even overperforming.

We had seen this from even old USF2 port to Xenoverse 2. Considering how RER is quality product, one would argue that with physical edition being more abundant or being the main release method, Cacpcom would receive more sales Even with the higher cost of the cart.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Capcom has vast more data and information than we would be analysts here when it comes to their business decisions, so in that respect we should never be 100 percent dismissive on their strategies

Thats maybe true. But this is also the game company who thought Lost Planet 3 and Umbrella Corps is a good idea. Their recent history had been quite bad we see.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not the argument. Apparently any Switch game would have quadrupled in sales if it had a physical edition, obviously that's not the case.

An argument with Lost Sphear's handling of the physical release that doesn't help it is that the physical release was exclusive to the Square-Enix website, which implies absolutely outrageous international shipping fees (like 25$ to send a Switch game to Canada lol).

Tie that to a lackluster JRPG that most people disliked by trying the demo and you have bad sales.

Oct 25, 2017
Thats maybe true. But this is also the game company who thought Lost Planet 3 and Umbrella Corps is a good idea. Their recent history had been quite bad we see.

Oh very true, the inafundme era was god awful and I am glad the powers-that-be within Capcom's hierarchy are doing a much better job on steering into the right direction (although Ono has done some weird decisions). Their future titles coming are in for great times.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I'd like to point out that the official title of the Resident Evil Revelations HD port is "Biohazard Revelations Unveiled Edition" in Japan so "Biohazard Revelations" might actually be for both titles as the full name of the title is not used as it would usually be.

Unlikely because the port includes talk about PS4/XB1 -- Revelations 2 would be irrelevant to that discussion.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
All I hear is "probably" but no strong argument. And you're actually right, some of those companies DID lose money on these over priced carts, like Tokyo RPG Factory's Lost Sphere that only sold 5,000 copies on the Switch. They would have saved more money and costs if they had opted to go digital.

RE7, MHW and SFV are still valuable IP's and are still being played or competed in around the globe now, I doubt they have lost anything, especially not in Japan. With the upcoming Mega Man game, Itsuno's project (DMCV?) and other unannounced titles I think they are doing just fine. Thier revenue went up YOY for the past 5 years for a reason.

On top of Lost Sphear being shit and performing badly on the PS4 as well, it was not distributed physically through retail. You had to order it through SE. For all intents and purposes, to the general market the game was digital except in Japan.

Resident Evil is (well Monster Hunter has probably surpassed it now) Capcom's biggest brand. If they can't justify a physical launch for that in Europe, what can they justify?

And Capcom making money isn't the same as Capcom missing the boat several times on prime opportunities.

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to point out that the official title of the Resident Evil Revelations HD port is "Biohazard Revelations Unveiled Edition" in Japan so "Biohazard Revelations" might actually be for both titles as the full name of the title is not used as it would usually be.

REV1+REV2 Collection on switch is called " Biohazard Revelations Collection "

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075F5TYMM/?tag=e100-21

So it is highly likely that they refer to REV1 without the long " unveiled edition " title

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil is (well Monster Hunter has probably surpassed it now) Capcom's biggest brand. If they can't justify a physical launch for that in Europe, what can they justify?

Revelations is a spin off and if they thought it wasn't worth producing over priced carts then I guess that's a decision they had to make. I guess we will never know the ins and outs but we can say the game sold reasonably well for a port. Going forward I do hope 3rd parties produce more original content for he Switch as it's becoming an inferior port fest on the system.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Revelations is a spin off and if they thought it wasn't worth producing over priced carts then I guess that's a decision they had to make.

The carts cost the same for everyone and a lot of other games from series smaller than "RE spinoff" got physical releases. Again, if they can't justify physical for RE what can they justify it for? It's not like they had to release Revelations either. The Switch can run 4, 5 and 6 no problem. Shouting overpriced cart over and over doesn't suddenly change anything.

I guess we will never know the ins and outs but we can say the game sold reasonably well for a port. Going forward I do hope 3rd parties produce more original content for he Switch as it's becoming an inferior port fest on the system.

I actually enjoyed the collection. Easily worth the money (even if Revelations 1 should have had better performance). Ports in year 1 of a system are fine. But Capcom's lack of faith in the system is pretty baffling all things considered.

I wouldn't expect totally new content but they have a lot of backlog and recently released games I'm surprised they didn't lean on. Like Monster Hunter Stories.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
some of those companies DID lose money on these over priced carts, like Tokyo RPG Factory's Lost Sphere that only sold 5,000 copies on the Switch.

How do we know whether Square Enix lost money on Lost Phear due to the cost of cartridges? We don't have information on that. There are plenty of publishers that live by releasing niche titles which sell few copies.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
No offence, but "probably" isn't good enough. I'd rather believe a statement from the company that makes the game rather than anecdotal evidence. It's clear why they didn't produce carts and that was due to the expense of developing them only for a couple ports. The game still sold very well on the platform digitally so at least their work paid off.
Cool, except Capcom didn't say "blame Nintendo" or that card expenses were too high so I guess you have no choice but to accept that as well then. You know, since "probably" isn't good enough.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The use of the word current generation hardware port excludes RER2 on the XB1/PS4 but not Switch.

The Japanese language could EASILY distinguish whether they're talking about one game, two games or a game series. They could have said 『バイオハザードリベレーションズ』シリーズ or 『バイオハザードリベレーションズ』2作 or something similar.

But they don't, thus any assumptions that the 500K figure includes Revelations 2 are just that — assumptions that are probably wrong.

It would be like Capcom talking about REmake HD sales and people assuming it includes RE0 HD because they happened to be bundled together on current gen systems. Makes zero sense.

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom Finally had posted the Q&A Translated in English

Monster Hunter: World (MHW below) has shipped 5 million units. Tell me how this title is performing against its target and about your methods for recognizing expenses.
We have not disclosed our target unit sales for MHW, however it has already achieved our target for the current fiscal year. Looking at recent sales trends for our major titles, we had anticipated a slower pace of first-year sales compared to previous entries in the series; however, its initial performance has exceeded our expectations. As the development cost of each of our titles is distributed across the title's lifetime unit sales target, we will recognize a portion of MHW's total cost of development proportionate to its Q4 sales.

Will the success of MHW offset the underperformance of certain Consumer titles and Pachislo (PS below) ?
We are aware of the risk presented by certain titles not performing to their targets in Consumer as well as by PS, and believe it must be addressed. The market environment of PS in particular is uncertain, and while the likelihood of delaying the release of the new machine scheduled for Q4 is high, we are not at a point at which we are able to communicate our outlook for the full year; however, we will endeavor to achieve our plan for the year.

Tell me about your plans for MHW in the next fiscal year and beyond.
As we are prioritizing our strategy to achieve the lifetime unit sales target for this title, we are not at a point at which we can discuss additional content. We plan to monitor and analyze the sell-through of the title moving forward.

What does the future advertising expense incurred in FY17 Q3 refer to?
These were primarily overseas promotional expenses associated with MHW.

60% of MHW unit sales came from overseas. How does this compare with your initial plan?
This result does not drastically deviate from our expectations for the ratio of domestic to overseas unit sales in our initial plan.

Will the lifetime unit sales for MHW grow to the level of Resident Evil?
Shipping 5 million units in the three days from its release was a strong start, however, we would like to more thoroughly ascertain the title's sell-through in Europe and in the Americas before examining the outlook for its unit sales.

The current-generation re-release of Resident Evil: Revelations sold 500 thousand units. Can you give me a breakdown of this by sales region?
For physical unit sales, 100 thousand units were from Japan and 270 thousand units were from overseas. The remaining 130 thousand units were from global digital sales. Of the total 500 thousand units sold, approximately half were the Nintendo Switch version of the title.

Colopl is currently involved in a lawsuit with Nintendo. Will this affect Capcom, given the cross-licensing deal the company has with Colopl?
This will not affect Capcom.

The speed of MHW sales is different than what was expected. Have you analyzed the cause of this and its future impact?
We have not completed a detailed analysis at this point in time. However, a number of factors contributed to its success in satisfying existing fans of the series while also appealing to new players, especially overseas. In addition to bringing this instalment to home video game systems, these factors include new features such as seamless transitions between map areas, smooth on-the-fly actions, displayed damage points dealt to monsters and mid-quest drop-in functionality during online co-op. We will continue to evaluate other factors and their future impact going forward.

From What I see , The new Information is that MHW ( at 5M ) had achieved Capcom's Target for this Fiscal Year