• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom had released the Q&A of their Q3 FY 2017/2018 which is still in Japanese and will be translated soon

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/data/explanation.html

Here is the google translated Version

I have said that 5 million units of "Monster Hunter: World" (MHW) was shipped, but I would like to ask about the progress against the plan and how to record the cost.
We have not talked about the planned number of "MHW", but we have already achieved our plan for this term. Due to recent sales trends in our main titles, we anticipated that sales progress in the first year will be moderate than in the past, but it was more than expected. As for cost, we allocate the price based on the lifetime sales plan, so the fourth quarter sales will be recorded out of the total development cost.

Can some of the consumer titles and pachislot (PS) unachieved minutes be canceled out by "MHW" hits?
We believe that it is necessary to recognize and deal with some unachieved titles and PS in consumers as risks. Especially because the market environment of PS is uncertain, it is not likely to postpone the introduction of new models in the fourth quarter, and it is not the time to tell the outlook for the full year, but we are committed to achieving the plan.

I would like to ask about the development of "MHW" after the next term.
Currently we are advancing our strategy for achieving Life's plan first, so we can not tell you about additional content etc. at the moment. Regarding future developments, we will proceed while confirming and analyzing the situation of SelSlow.

What is the upfront investment advertisement cost that occurred in the third quarter of the year ending March 2018?
It is the promotion cost of "MHW" mainly overseas.

Although it is said that overseas sales ratio of "MHW" is 60%, I would like to ask about the feeling in contrast to the plan.
Both domestically and overseas are stronger than the original plan, and as a result, domestic and foreign ratios are not divergent from our assumptions.

Will the sales number of "MHW" life be extended to the "biohazard" class?
Although we have 5 million copies in 3 days from the launch, we are planning to thoroughly examine the outlook for the number of sales after fully grasping the sell-through situation in Europe and the USA from now.

Although it is said that the number of sales of the current machine port "Biohazard Liberations" is 500,000, I would like to ask about the breakdown of the sales area.
The package version sells 100,000 copies in Japan, 270,000 overseas, and the remaining about 130,000 are downloaded versions. In addition, about half of 500,000 books are Nintendo Switch version.

Coropla is in dispute with Nintendo, does it affect Capcom who signed a cross license?
There is no particular impact on our company.

It is said that the initial speed of "MHW" is different from the assumed speed, but I would like to ask about the factor analysis and the future impact.
Although it has not been able to analyze in detail at this moment, in this work, in addition to deployment on a stationary machine, in addition to seamless movement between areas and various actions, display of damage numbers to monsters, participation in quests on the way We believe that the success of appealing to new fans, mainly overseas, can be attributed to satisfying the existing series fans with new elements such as new elements such as " Other factors and impacts will be examined in the future.

So Based on this translate :

- They are very happy with MHW launch numbers and it is above their expectations for the first year/Launch but they are cautious for the lifetime sales and can't answer now whether it will catch Resident Evil lifetime numbers or not and they still want to check the " Sell Through " copies situation , and Both the Japanese and International sales are above their expectations , Also looks like They spend a lot of Marketing for MHW especially oversees

- Revelations ports ( For PS4/X1/Switch ) sold 500K , the breakdown is 100K Japan, 270K overseas, and 130K Digital versions and half of the 500K are from Nintendo switch , but it is unknown if the 250K switch is split between REV1 and REV2 or it is only REV1

Edit : It is only REV1 on switch

It doesn't include Revelations 2. The name of the game is quoted quite clearly - "BIOHAZARD REVELATIONS", not "BIOHAZARD REVELATIONS SERIES" or whatever.

Edit2 : Capcom Finally had posted the Q&A Translated in English

Monster Hunter: World (MHW below) has shipped 5 million units. Tell me how this title is performing against its target and about your methods for recognizing expenses.
We have not disclosed our target unit sales for MHW, however it has already achieved our target for the current fiscal year. Looking at recent sales trends for our major titles, we had anticipated a slower pace of first-year sales compared to previous entries in the series; however, its initial performance has exceeded our expectations. As the development cost of each of our titles is distributed across the title's lifetime unit sales target, we will recognize a portion of MHW's total cost of development proportionate to its Q4 sales.

Will the success of MHW offset the underperformance of certain Consumer titles and Pachislo (PS below) ?
We are aware of the risk presented by certain titles not performing to their targets in Consumer as well as by PS, and believe it must be addressed. The market environment of PS in particular is uncertain, and while the likelihood of delaying the release of the new machine scheduled for Q4 is high, we are not at a point at which we are able to communicate our outlook for the full year; however, we will endeavor to achieve our plan for the year.

Tell me about your plans for MHW in the next fiscal year and beyond.
As we are prioritizing our strategy to achieve the lifetime unit sales target for this title, we are not at a point at which we can discuss additional content. We plan to monitor and analyze the sell-through of the title moving forward.

What does the future advertising expense incurred in FY17 Q3 refer to?
These were primarily overseas promotional expenses associated with MHW.

60% of MHW unit sales came from overseas. How does this compare with your initial plan?
This result does not drastically deviate from our expectations for the ratio of domestic to overseas unit sales in our initial plan.

Will the lifetime unit sales for MHW grow to the level of Resident Evil?
Shipping 5 million units in the three days from its release was a strong start, however, we would like to more thoroughly ascertain the title's sell-through in Europe and in the Americas before examining the outlook for its unit sales.

The current-generation re-release of Resident Evil: Revelations sold 500 thousand units. Can you give me a breakdown of this by sales region?
For physical unit sales, 100 thousand units were from Japan and 270 thousand units were from overseas. The remaining 130 thousand units were from global digital sales. Of the total 500 thousand units sold, approximately half were the Nintendo Switch version of the title.

Colopl is currently involved in a lawsuit with Nintendo. Will this affect Capcom, given the cross-licensing deal the company has with Colopl?
This will not affect Capcom.

The speed of MHW sales is different than what was expected. Have you analyzed the cause of this and its future impact?
We have not completed a detailed analysis at this point in time. However, a number of factors contributed to its success in satisfying existing fans of the series while also appealing to new players, especially overseas. In addition to bringing this instalment to home video game systems, these factors include new features such as seamless transitions between map areas, smooth on-the-fly actions, displayed damage points dealt to monsters and mid-quest drop-in functionality during online co-op. We will continue to evaluate other factors and their future impact going forward.

From What I see , The new Information is that MHW ( at 5M ) had achieved Capcom's Target for this Fiscal Year

Last edited:

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Still nothing on porting Dragon's Dogma Online overseas, I take it.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Monster Hunter becoming a worldwide brand along side Resident Evil and Street Fighter would be phenomenal.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
So even the Revelations ports performed okay? Ha.

Well Capcom, I'm ready for REmake or RE 4 on my Switch.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Japan is the only region where Revelations 1 came out as a standalone game.

Given that Revelations 1 has been on Nintendo systems twice before, I can't imagine Revelations 2 having sold less. Maybe it did 250K as well?

If I remember correctly, this should actually be a better pace of sales than RE4 Wii.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the figures for the Switch port was wrong. I knew we should have waited for official figures. 500K for Revelations ports is very good.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
250k units for Revelations on Switch are in line with expectations (Capcom is expecting 300.000 LTD) but too much given the laziness of the initiatives.

MHW advertising budget was huge and this raised investors eyebrows.

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
500k for Revelations on Switch. That's better than I expected.

Now Capcom where is Okami?

It is 500K for all platforms and 250K on Switch

So the revelation port to Switch did better than the PS4 and Xbox ones?

Not better but maybe same or maybe not , 250K for PS4/X1 is a lock and the other 250K is for switch but it is unconfirmed right now if 250K switch is split between REV1 and REV2 or it is only REV1

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
this thread and the other one about 150k have me confused.

after all the info and statements there are, is capcom happy with the sales of the switch ports??

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Half of the sales are on switch?

Great. first big 3rd party game to have the sales releases?

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spending money overseas did wonders, I rarely watch TV but I always catch it on.

As a long time MH fan and always being frustrated that Capcom never gave the series any faith overseas let alone never bothered to localize the series half the time (or the more important PS3 Tri game) it always boggled me of their incompetence.

Now that it's been almost 10 years since I first played a MH game, it feels surreal how its been picked up by the masses.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Not better but maybe same or maybe not , 250K for PS4/X1 is a lock and the other 250K is for switch but it is unconfirmed right now if 250K switch is split between REV1 and REV2 or it is only REV1

It doesn't include Revelations 2. The name of the game is quoted quite clearly - "BIOHAZARD REVELATIONS", not "BIOHAZARD REVELATIONS SERIES" or whatever.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
this thread and the other one about 150k have me confused.

after all the info and statements there are, is capcom happy with the sales of the switch ports??
According to Capcom, they expect between 300-500k sales from their Switch ports.

USF II is at 400k +
Revelations is at 250k after a month
MH XX is at 200k +

Looking at their personal expectations, Revelations is well on its way to meet expectations. USF II is already there. Only one possibly not meeting expectations might be MH XX.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

I looked at the million sellers list and this is what I think has sold for Revelations 2.

First, the question mentioned in the Q&A is obviously Revelations 1 and is at 500k sales for PS4/XB1/NSW versions total. Details are already there from the Q&A.

Second, Resident Evil Revelations 2 in the million sellers list has the platforms:

PS3/PS4/Xbox 360/
Xbox One/PC/DL

And is at 2.3 million sales, last quarter it was at 2.2 million sales.

It's possible the Switch version of Revelations 2 is listed as DL (Download) because it never had a physical SKU, just a download code. So the Switch version of Revelations 2 sold anywhere from below 100k or above it depending on how Capcom rounds numbers.

Last edited:

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
250k revelation on switch is also nothing to scoff at.. capcom needs to take this platform seriously
According to Capcom, they expect between 300-500k sales from their Switch ports.

USF II is at 400k +
MH XX is at 200k +

Looking at their personal expectations, Revelations is well on its way to meet expectations. USF II is already there. Only one possibly not meeting expectations might be MH XX.
they already said MHXX exceded expectations and its not even releaes in europe and NA

USFII numbers are just crazy... port over SFIV and MCVI Capcom since SFV is a no go.

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible the Switch version is listed as DL (Download) because it never had a physical SKU, just a download code. So the Switch version of Revelations 2 sold anywhere from below 100k or above it depending on how Capcom rounds numbers.

The Platinum list is a weird and random one , Regarding REV2 then it can make sense in both ways , The 100K gain could be mostly from Switch version ( But I highly doubt it given REV1 Sold 250K so the drop between both games is quite huge ) or it could be the normal 100K gain that REV2 gets every quarter , It is normal for it to gain 100K every quarter

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I looked at the million sellers list and this is what I think has sold for Revelations 2.

First, the question mentioned in the Q&A is obviously Revelations 1 and is at 500k sales for PS4/XB1/NSW versions total. Details are already there from the Q&A.

Second, Resident Evil Revelations 2 in the million sellers list has the platforms:

PS3/PS4/Xbox 360/
Xbox One/PC/DL

And is at 2.3 million sales, last quarter it was at 2.2 million sales.

It's possible the Switch version is listed as DL (Download) because it never had a physical SKU, just a download code. So the Switch version of Revelations 2 sold anywhere from below 100k or above it depending on how Capcom rounds numbers.

It's hard to know for sure, but if we look at the numbers, the maximum downloaded versions of Rev 1 on Switch is 130K (likely much lower because that number includes the other platforms). That means 120K physical versions of Rev 1 on Switch were sold -- only Japan got Rev 1 as a standalone physical, which sold very few copies, so most of those 120K have to include Rev 2 in it in some form.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
wait, so it's 250k just for revalations 1?
the one that was on 3ds and U?

that's not bad

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
The Platinum list is a weird and random one , Regarding REV2 then it can make sense in both ways , The 100K gain could be mostly from Switch version ( But I highly doubt it given REV1 Sold 250K so the drop between both games is quite huge ) or it could be the normal 100K gain that REV2 gets every quarter , It is normal for it to gain 100K every quarter

It didn't get a 100k gain every quarter, I checked web.archive, Revelations 2 was at 2.1 million units on March 31st 2017, 2.2 million units on June 30th 2017 and stayed that way until January 31st 2018 which changed to 2.3 million units.

So sales were stuck for 6 months until Revelations 2 released for Switch.

It's hard to know for sure, but if we look at the numbers, the maximum downloaded versions of Rev 1 on Switch is 130K (likely much lower because that number includes the other platforms). That means 120K physical versions of Rev 1 on Switch were sold -- only Japan got Rev 1 as a standalone physical, which sold very few copies, so most of those 120K have to include Rev 2 in it in some form.

That's a good point.

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't get a 100k gain every quarter, I checked web.archive, Revelations 2 was at 2.1 million units on March 31st 2017, 2.2 million units on June 30th 2017 and stayed that way until January 31st 2018 which changed to 2.3 million units.

So sales were stuck for 6 months until Revelations 2 released for Switch.

Yea it sometimes misses the 100K pump in quarters , but my point is that If the Switch version is counted then you would had seen like +200K jump instead of 100K in three/six months that it usually gets

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I bet Capcom wishing they made their MHW prediction public so they could show off lol.

That Resident Evil split is impressive for the Switch.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

USF II is at 400k +
MH XX is at 200k +

USF2 is 500k+ and MHXX 300k+.

Adder

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Sad that after all of Capcom games overperformed on Switch -and the some of the rest underperforming on other platforms- Capcom is still being all talk and no action with all those tests and other bad practices.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So the revelations port bombed but sold the most on Switch? The real question is, did we pass the test still?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I bet any future ports of Rev will be bundled with 2. The games don't seem like they're strong enough to sell solo. At least not physically. Much like how we didn't get REmake or 0 as individual $20 physical titles.
That's not to talk of their quality. Just seems they have a harder push there than compared to two online coop titles and a all-time Classic

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spending money overseas did wonders, I rarely watch TV but I always catch it on.

As a long time MH fan and always being frustrated that Capcom never gave the series any faith overseas let alone never bothered to localize the series half the time (or the more important PS3 Tri game) it always boggled me of their incompetence.

Now that it's been almost 10 years since I first played a MH game, it feels surreal how its been picked up by the masses.
You're thinking of monster hunter portable 3rd. Tri wasn't on the PS3.