• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The two producers told us that they want people to see the 2019 version of Resident Evil 2 not just as a remake, but as a brand new entry in the series. Their statement makes sense, as the remake indeed seems to be an evolution for the series. When attacked by enemy zombies, dirt and scars on characters are depicted in real time. Zombies will react and be affected differently depending on how you attack them.

"Raccoon City will have the same atmosphere, but details like when and where characters meet each other for the first time have been altered," Kanda told us.

While aiming for a new and fresh experience, the two producers did say that "keeping things Resident Evil" is their top priority, and that they are not trying to mimic Western third-person shooters.

"The game is all about the Capcom and Resident Evil DNA – that's what most important for us," Kanda assured us.

http://ign.com/articles/2018/09/25/...-its-a-brand-new-entry-in-the-series-tgs-2018

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Right on. I still view it as a remake.

Jun 26, 2018
tenor.gif

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
It will also build up for future RE entries. First person RE7 was experimental and not what the bigger audience wanted. So previous RE7 producer Kawata has been promoted to Onimusha producer because he worked on Onimusha Warlords for PS2. And the other RE7 producer Kanda was promoted to RE2R producer and to continue RE series.

Hence why they filed a new trademark for Onimusha in late Nov 2015 and tease from Kawata about new Onimusha in early 2017.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
It's different from the second game but it's still a remake the same as RE1 was.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But they are remaking RE2, even if from the ground up and reimagining a lot of aspects. If it was truly a brand new entry they wouldn't rely on RE2's locations, characters, storyline and name.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Remake and reboot in my mind with this statement. I'll accept it!

I do wonder if RE7 is still a part of the same continuum under that pretense.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
It will also build up for future RE entries. First person RE7 was experimental and not what the bigger audience wanted. So previous RE7 producer Kawata has been promoted to Onimusha producer because he worked on Onimusha Warlords for PS2. And the other RE7 producer Kanda was promoted to RE2R producer and to continue RE series.

Hence why they filed a new trademark for Onimusha in late Nov 2015 and tease from Kawata about new Onimusha in early 2017.

Huh, that's interesting and exciting news regarding Onimusha. Is there a new Onimusha coming after Warlords?
Also any sources about any of this? Specially Kawata being Oni producer.

Apr 18, 2018
Santa Cruz
So if RE2 Remake be a commercial success it's safe to say there will be a RE3 Nemesis Remake.

I'm just hoping re3 is either a surprise and in the game or it's DLC.

There's no point in remaking that game when it uses so many of the same areas. Also, it's happening around the same time, so you might as well just do it.

Also, I'm curious if we'll be seeing any RE3 streets going throughout re2 now.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

There's no point in remaking that game when it uses so many of the same areas. Also, it's happening around the same time, so you might as well just do it.

RE3 only reuses the RPD building, and not much of it. Most of that game was original locations.

As for the subject, that's exactly what a remake is.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Games are evolving and I am so excited about it! This and RDR2 look to elevate gaming in their respective genres. I'll be in open world heaven soon and then shortly after in a beautiful zombie hell.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
But they are remaking RE2, even if from the ground up and reimagining a lot of aspects. If it was truly a brand new entry they wouldn't rely on RE2's locations, characters, storyline and name.

This is how remakes often work. Look at Metroid: Zero Mission or Ys: The Oath in Felghana - both of these games are based on prior entries in the series, but also introduce new mechanics and refinements that carried over into future games as well (especially true in the case of the latter). So even though they are remakes or reimaginings, they are also genuine new mainline games as well. I think it is accurate to say that the GameCube Resident Evil is simultaneously a remake of the original Resident Evil, a sequel to Code Veronica and the direct predecessor to Zero.

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wonder why so many people say this thing that doesn't make any sense.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Complete perspective change, graphics are 100x better, locations share a name but look way different/better. We already know it is a new game in all honesty. It's called a remake for a reason. It isn't just some brushed up remaster.

OP
OP
Deleted member 11093

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, man! They should just give Jill/Carlos/Nemesis skins to Claire/Leon/Mr X and call it RE3make.

OryoN

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Ok Capcom. *rolleyes*

Seriously though, perhaps it was a bad choice of words and it is more in line with what they did with the GCN remake of the original game(which it clearly is). A total remake and retelling of the game & story.

I think the industry needs more precise terminology. Whenever we have these situations, the developers always awkwardly attemp to shy away from the term "Remake" - even if that's technically accurate - in hopes to convey an all new experience that may be present. It's understandable, because there are several "remakes" (Crash Insane Trilogy, for example) that essentially offer virtually 1:1 experience, but with completely overhauled graphics. Some of us may call them, appropriately, "enhanced ports," only to watch the PR - again, awkwardly - avoid such terms in order to differentiate from other ports that don't re-work the graphics to that extent. There's no one acceptable term anymore.

So yeah, terminologies are not very distinct these days, or used too broadly. Therefore, you get weird cases like this where devs tend to dance around terms(however technically fitting), to our amusement.

Maybe one of these days we(Era), can address this once and for all, lock terminology down for each variety remake/port, and stick to it until it's widely understood or adopted.

...Or we could continue to get a chuckle out of these cases. ;D

Apr 18, 2018
Santa Cruz
Wonder why so many people say this thing that doesn't make any sense.

For me, I just don't feel that Resident Evil 3 is worth a remake all on its own. I loved it, but it just doesnt seem like it took people on the ride that Resident Evil 1 or 2 did.

It's a 'hope' and not much of something I expect to happen. I figure if they tighten up certain areas, make it a lot smaller it wouldn't have to be 'nemesis' as much as it could be like those Ada stories from 4.

Telling the same story in a much more confined and tighter way.

It doesn't make sense that Nemesis wouldn't be roaming the streets in re2.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not sure I care. Remake. Reimagine. Rewhatever. It is enough that the game get this treatment.

OP
OP
Deleted member 11093

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok Capcom. *rolleyes*

Seriously though, perhaps it was a bad choice of words and it is more in line with what they did with the GCN remake of the original game(which it clearly is). A total remake and retelling of the game & story.

I think the industry needs more precise terminology. Whenever we have these situations, the developers always awkwardly attemp to shy away from the term "Remake" - even if that's technically accurate - in hopes to convey an all new experience that may be present. It's understandable, because there are several "remakes" (Crash Insane Trilogy, for example) that essentially offer virtually 1:1 experience, but with completely overhauled graphics. Some of us may call them, appropriately, "enhanced ports," only to watch the PR - again, awkwardly - avoid such terms in order to differentiate from other ports that don't re-work the graphics to that extent. There's no one acceptable term anymore.

So yeah, terminologies are not very distinct these days, or used too broadly. Therefore, you get weird cases like this where devs tend to dance around terms(however technically fitting), to our amusement.

Maybe one of these days we(Era), can address this once and for all, lock terminology down for each variety remake/port, and stick to it until it's widely understood or adopted.

...Or we could continue to get a chuckle out of these cases. ;D
It's like remake is a bad word or something. I'm fully expecting Square Enix to drop it out of FF7's title too, lol.

Last edited:

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018

It uses like, 5% the same areas. It uses only the RPD and even then, a vast majority of it is walled off anyway.

Lets just hope REmake 2 doesn't get its own Lisa.
Uh... Mr. X already existed in the original, if you mean a stalker-type enemy.

Remake and reboot in my mind with this statement. I'll accept it!

I do wonder if RE7 is still a part of the same continuum under that pretense.
Why would it not? This is just doing what REmake did, replacing the original game's plot on the current timeline.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, what if this is a new timeline alongside Resident Evil from GC? I mean I guess that would already make sense given all the chances.

Anyways more power to them if they can bring HIM back:
ImaginativeFancyDevilfish-size_restricted.gif

Jun 18, 2018
As long as it still fit in the canon, it's still a remake to me.

I think the biggest question is 'will it replace the original RE2 or DC as canon'. Although we know that with both RE2 and this RE2Make, the true events will be a hybrid of both Leon and Claire's playable timelines.

Why the obsession with RE3? Capcom are spending lots of effort rebuilding RE2 & expanding its scope. You don't just chuck in a similar remake of its sequel in as DLC. There's too much work to be done. Focus on what amazing things they're doing with the RE2Make and worry about RE3Make later or you're going to not appreciate all the good work they're doing and set yourself up for disapointment.

And if anything, I think RE3 wouldn't translate as well from fixed cameras. So much of the RE3's shock and panic comes from Nemesis entering a shot behind you and closing in as you dash for safety. Such pursing has been done before (Outlast, A:I, RE7, etc), but it's never been as terrifying as with fixed cameras. And that's coming from someone who loved RE7's FP view and thinks RE2'Make's 3rd person camera is also the right way to go.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's just called Resident Evil 2, so they technically aren't calling it a remake
Fair enough. But here's the thing:

- They call the game Resident Evil 2
- The game will have the same story, location, characters, etc. Just altered a bit
- The refer it as "The Survival Horror Classic Reimagined" on their website

No matter how, people will see it as a remake.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Fair enough. But here's the thing:

- They call the game Resident Evil 2
- The game will have the same story, location, characters, etc. Just altered a bit
- The refer it as "The Survival Horror Classic Reimagined" on their website

No matter how, people will see it as a remake.
I was just referring to the technicality of it. Anyway I don't see the issue here. REmake was a perfect recreation that simultaneously replicated, updated and re-imagined the original. I have no problem with them making whatever changes they see fit, the additions to the first REmake were fantastic, I sometimes forget Lisa Trevor wasn't in the original.