• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Four out of five games Capcom sells are distributed digitally, and the publisher believes there's still room to grow that share.

"While it ultimately depends on how our customers behave going forward, for the time being we are promoting our digital strategy with an objective of 90%, since there are some customers who prefer to own discs," the company said.

"We aim to continue expanding our business performance by maximizing the benefits of digital sales, which include being able to provide our content both for longer periods of time and throughout the world."

The Monster Hunter World: Iceborne expansion was cited last year as the main factor that would lead to that jump. However, it did not expect 2020 to be an anomaly; even at the time Capcom predicted an 80-90% digital business in the medium to long term.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Capcom says its game sales are 80% digital and rising

Four out of five games Capcom sells are distributed digitally, and the publisher believes there's still room to grow th…

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
People who think it's out of the question that this will be the last gen with an option for physical game are being incredibly naive.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean current circumstances considered I'm not surprised there's a big move to digital. I used to be a diehard physical stan but the convince can't be denied.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
People who think it's out of the question that this will be the last gen with an option for physical game are being incredibly naive.
I don't think it will be the last generation but I do see Physical getting even smaller. Not everyone wants to go digital only. The only reason my dad has a PS4 is because I gave him one. If I want to get him a game it's easier for me to go buy a physical copy since digital gifting doesn't exist on consoles.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a huge number. I think the pandemic is a factor to consider but I can see this number holding up after it's over.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's about choice

Prefer digital? Fine. Actively fight to remove the choice from those who like physical? Not fine

My PS4 collection is about 70/30 digital/physical respectively

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Physical games need to go. The benefits of physical should be brought to physical.
tenor.gif

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
That's a bit higher than I expected. I don't necessarily welcome our digital future, but it's the way we're headed. At 80% I guess we're already there!

Deleted member 32973

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
digital is nightmare to me, I would happily buy them in steam bargain bin, but for things like nintendo games that stagnated at 49$-59$ I can't resale the game if I'm bored with is nightmare

Oct 25, 2017
You hold (and display) books. It's a physical experience. There's no equivalent for video games, so you don't lose that experience by going digital.

There are still other benefits to physical games though. Also why do music and movies still have a physical presense then? This isn't even taking into consideration how massive games are and how shit the US internet infrastructure is.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
We still have physical books, movies, music etc.. and people were saying those would die out years ago. I don't see why physical games would be any less resilient.
Physical books, movies, and music all function normally without the need for an internet connection anyway. Physical games (at least, ones not on Switch) largely don't do anything. If you buy a physical copy of Call of Duty, it's functionally useless without an online connection. It's not the same thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Physical books, movies, and music all function normally without the need for an internet connection anyway. Physical games (at least, ones not on Switch) largely don't do anything. If you buy a physical copy of Call of Duty, it's functionally useless without an online connection. It's not the same thing.

Not even remotely true. Maybe for MP only games, but plenty of single player games can be played straight from disc.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I don't think it will go away simply because in other medias, the physical never went away. Books, Music, Movie etc. But I can see in a generation or two that physical might become like it is for those medias. Instead of having the "standard" and "collectors" edition, the physical would be a collectors edition by itself, and the "standard" edition would be the digital.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Another pub trying their best to stamp out the used game market for their products

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm one of those 80%.

Can't remember when i bought a disk last time outside of a gift for my nephew.

I buy day 1 digital most of the time. Usually i know what i like and i want the devs to get as much money as possible from my purchase.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it will go away simply because in other medias, the physical never went away. Books, Music, Movie etc. But I can see in a generation or two that physical might become like it is for those medias. Instead of having the "standard" and "collectors" edition, the physical would be a collectors edition by itself, and the "standard" edition would be the digital.

Standard physical will probably become a code in a box like on PC.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Not even remotely true. Maybe for MP only games, but plenty of single player games can be played straight from disc.
Publishers want you to go digital only. They want to control pricing, get higher margins, and get rid of used sales. If it ever gets to a point where they'll lose less money taking away physical than they'll make by keeping it, no amount of pro-consumer optimism will save you.

It works for Steam, it works for App Stores (the two biggest gaming communities on the planet). There are precedents in this industry for digital only working just fine.

Oct 25, 2017
Publishers want you to go digital only. They want to control pricing, get higher margins, and get rid of used sales. If it ever gets to a point where they'll lose less money taking away physical than they'll make by keeping it, no amount of pro-consumer optimism will save you.

It works for Steam, it works for App Stores (the two biggest gaming communities on the planet). There are precedents in this industry for digital only working just fine.

I'm well aware that publishers want to go all digital. Doesn't mean that'll happen, there's still a market for physical games, even Capcom acknowledge this. Maybe in 20 - 30 years I can see us in an all digital future. But I definitely not this decade.