• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Capcom stock down 11.30%, Monster Hunter World sales cited as being a "risk"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Last edited:

Dullahan

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
"This is our best selling game ever. We fucked up I guess!"

Return of ridiculous sale expectations Capcom.

Oct 28, 2017
Well with only Mega Man 11 and a couple of MH ports in the imminent future I can understand stock dropping, but I don't understand it to this extent nor why the word 'risk' is being used in this context.

Oct 26, 2017
I guess what shareholders fear is that sales of future entries are going to drop sharply and that they’re not gonna be able to maintain yearly releases. I am not sure how justified those fears are.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Mr. Market is in one of his irrational panic states again.

Or, Capcom is doomed, just like Nintendo!!!!!!!!!!!!! /s

Oct 30, 2017
Australia
And people taking stocks as the gospel in the Nintendo thread. The market is incredibly fickle and investors might be spooked because expectations are high after initial World sales on consoles but nothing really following that bar PC release. Who the hell knows really.

Oct 25, 2017
FR
Risk being that sales fell flat unlike previous games I guess, which weren't as front loaded.
Still stupid from investors considering the massive sales + new monetisation that previous games didn't have.

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Maybe they're worried about MHW PC and MHXX US cannibalizing each other's sales? I was planning on getting both but now that they're coming out 3 weeks apart I have to choose one over the other. Maybe I'm overestimating things since they are on separate platforms.

Lurkyseas

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
didn't the risk pay off tho? i thought it sold great
I think that the development costs for that game must've been so steep, that they literally have to sell millions upon millions of copies just to make a profit.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Probably because Cap is treating the game like a standard release instead of keeping the game alive with constant updates. The cross over characters are not enough. They should have had a raid in this game a long time ago, Expansions announced, etc. think out the box.

You gotta be ready to support games like this for the long haul. Best mp game this year imo, but it got old fast.

Oct 28, 2017
It's worth noting that Capcom stock pretty much doubled the past year (from Jul 2017) so the expectations where sky high so 11% isn't that crazy.

Honestly, this says more about the investors than Capcom themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.