• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 1, 2017
That sucks, but were they really doing Dead Rising 5? DR4's reception was so flaccid that I don't know if there'd be a market for DR5 anyway.
DR4 was absolutely awful but if you made a new entry that actually retained what was good about the first game and made it not control like garbage I think there'd still be interest in it. Maybe if they went back to their survival horror roots instead the story driven zombie musou mish-mash it turned into after 2.

Such a shame what happened to this series.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
They shouldn't of made these games exclusive. I enjoyed my time and still have to complete Franks Big Package.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, no more Dead Rising!! Finally the era of bad Capcom games is over!

It's terrible to say but it's time for Capcom to close shop in Vancouver it's not working.
I wouldn't want them closed and devs losing their jobs even if they only made shitty games, but Capcom need to sell off this studio to someone else.

shinkai

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks, hopefully everyone affected by this finds a gig somewhere else. I can only hope Capcom Vancouver can recover from this with DR5.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dead Rising is a franchise ruined by it's busniss deals. Ever since how they handled the stand alone micro games for 2. Those would have been perfect for people who didn't play 1 but instead they where 360 only.

I'll stand by Dead Rising 3 being a great game though and it's a bummer 4 didn't build off it more.

Last edited:

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Weren't they supposedly working on something Ghosts & Goblins related as well, or was that already canned?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that they were allowed to have multiple projects even in the running after DR4's reception. I would have assumed that game would have started trimming up the studio.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
That's rough, but then I look at the mismanaged Dead Rising franchise and think "yeah, that makes sense." Whatever they still have left on their plate, I hope it's up to par.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
They were making Mega Man and Street Fighter mobile eSports games, so I imagine it was probably those.

Edit:

Oh, wait, $40 million? Yeah, that does sound like Dead Rising 5.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Well, let's hope instead of people getting fired they were moved to work on something different.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It probably doesn't make sense for them to develop their own games at this point. I feel like them filling a support role would be a good fit.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
They were making Mega Man and Street Fighter mobile eSports games, so I imagine it was probably those.

Edit:

Oh, wait, $40 million? Yeah, that does sound like Dead Rising 5.

It was definitely DR5.
Also Capcom is going full pendulum swing, after "western mentality superior" they are going "eastern mentality superior" when it comes to development and game design.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks if some of them lose their job. That said, Dead Rising was series that should have ended after second part. I was hoping to see something else by these guys, but they ended up being exclusively a Dead Rising team. :(

Making DR5 after the disaster that was part 4 is quite bad decision of Capcom. I believe one of the cancelled projects is this.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, by that point they were Blue Castle Games and had some oversight from the original team.

Wasn't DR4 the Dead Rising and Frank West they always wanted to make? yeeesh.

To be absolutely fair I wouldn't call either DR3 or 4 outright bad games, but they weren't even above average and focused a little too heavily on dumbing down a lot of key aspects of the first game, which I imagine is what lost most fans, because they lost me with those decisions.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is big news. Dead Rising most certainly just got cancelled. At least it's just yhings getting cancelled and not the studio closed. Those guys are talented, Capcom needs to allow them to make something other than Dead Rising. They have plenty of IP in the vault that could use some resurrecting. Let the guys at Capcom Vancouver pick.

Oct 27, 2017
It's awful but I'm ok with this, never loved Desd Rising and I hope that Vancouver works on something that mght appeal to me now.

Well, they cancelled all other projects aside from DR5 a while ago and now they're cancelling DR5... This feels like a precursor to the studio closing.

Capcom should see if MS is interested in buying the studio and the franchise. Much better that than closing down.

ThouIsARobber

Oct 30, 2017
Can't say the writing wasn't on the wall for these guys. Capcom shoved off western developers a while ago, and it was always weird they still had one studio in Canada. Shame though. I like 3 for what it is, and The Bigs were some fantastic arcade baseball games.

Oct 29, 2017
This was their non-Dead Rising game they were working on, wasnt it? Think I remember hearing about it some time ago...

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Hopefully the employees and the series find solid new ground elsewhere.

I'd love a DR equal in quality to the first 2, hopefully the series isn't dead and the next entries are better quality.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
$40 million in losses? Damn.

I'm not sure why this developer was kept afloat for so long anyway.

PlayingKarrde

Oct 25, 2017
There is a lot of assuming the studio is closed going on but I'm not sure that's the case. While this is obviously extremely bleak, the studio has lost a LOT of money for Capcom over the years and currently there are no reports the studio is over or employees have been let go. It would be extremely shitty of Capcom to announce in a press release this is happening just before it happens.

I guess we'll have a better idea by the end of the week but I think it's a bit premature to be hoping the employees are able to find new work just yet.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why Capcom continues to use them for only Dead Rising. This is suppose to be a Capcom studio. Let them work on a niche Capcom IP that fans want to return with a small reasonable budget. Vancouver hasn't really had the chance to prove themselves outside of making formulaic DR games and a mobile game.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
DR4 was absolutely awful but if you made a new entry that actually retained what was good about the first game and made it not control like garbage I think there'd still be interest in it. Maybe if they went back to their survival horror roots instead the story driven zombie musou mish-mash it turned into after 2.

Such a shame what happened to this series.

Dead Rising was Survivor-Horror ?

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Is this Capcom's only Western Dev?
Yes. They decided to shutdown all external full game development (first in the West, then in Japan) when they started running aground late last gen, and then hired 100-150 new college grads per year in Japan to cut costs (they noted it would save them 50% over outsourced full game development).

This is part of why they were releasing so few AAA games for a long time, since they had to hire and train all this new staff over the years before they could release more AAA games.

I was surprised they didn't shutter Capcom Vancouver at the time, but Japanese companies tend to be layoff adverse. They did get Microsoft to publish their games for a while though to avoid the cost burden.

They're still mostly all in on this strategy, with the exception that they threw in the towel and started licensing out their IPs to mobile companies to try and get that business kickstarted, since they're the only notable Japanese publisher without a successful mobile business, and even some of their small competitors bring in $200+ million a year in mobile (with bigger ones like Namco and Square bringing in around $1 billion per year).

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is probably the last nail in the coffin for infuane's westernisation strategy.

I can see Capcom outsourcing for smaller projects but I think they won't be partnering with western studios for AAA projects anymore.

knuckles

Oct 29, 2017
I'm finally playing dead rising 3 thanks to gamepass, it is pretty cool, like it a lot better than 1 & 2. I Haven't played 4 but it had a good enough run for what was always going to be a niche series, a fifth AAA game never made much sense. That's not even counting the spinoffs.

Hope devs land on their feet, they are talented enough for an original project Imo, and maybe Microsoft might be interested.