• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Molant continues: "We are looking into the explosion in affordable digital-only titles. That is how we potentially see new IP being born, by testing the water with smaller titles that are less risky to develop. Maybe we could release a few of these and see if one takes off, and then you can take it further step-by-step, as opposed to doing a AAA with a £10 million marketing budget. That's never going to happen."

Turner again: "But it's not off the plans to do some new IP. We have titles lined-up. The development team doesn't want to keep working on the same thing over and over. They want to explore other areas. There is also a lot of scope in some of our universes where we can go and do something new, without having to leap into new territory.

"But new IP is certainly still on the radar, and discussed within the development offices at Osaka and Vancouver. It's just difficult to launch successfully in a global market."

SOURCE

Like, I kind of don't blame Capcom after how they were almost driven to the ruin over the last decade, wanting to be more risk averse, but man... Capcom used to lead the charge with exciting new IP. Remember Street Fighter? Strider? Breath of Fire? Rival Schools? Power Stone? Marvel vs Capcom? Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, and Dragon's Dogma?

Capcom has a historic catalog of great IP because it used to invest in so many new ones. So it's a same they won't any more, not on that same scale at any rate. Like I said, I get it. But it's a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.