• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I called out recently Okami not being a million seller. Since from the last time I had checked, it wasn't. However vala proved me wrong on this matter when they showed me the total for Okami which was not on this page last time I had checked. So regardless of that here are the new totals for Capcom Platinum Franchises.

New Entry
tQGZkHj.png

Updated Entries

Dead Rising - 11 Million (Was 10 million)
Dragons Dogma - 3.5 Million (Was 3.2 Million)
Ace Attorney - 6.6 Million (Was 6.4 Million)
Marvel Vs Capcom - 8.4 Million (Was 7.5 million)
Resident Evil - 80 Million (Was 78 Million)
Street Fighter - 40 Million (Was 39 Million)
Mega man - 32 Million (Was 31 million)

No Growth
Lost Planet
Sengoku Basara
Monster Hunter
Devil May Cry
Onimusha
Dino Crisis
Breath of Fire
Final Fight
Ghosts'n Goblins
Commando

Okami is the big thing here. Really surprised it was missing from the list with 1.6 million sales. Unless they're already counting shipped from the upcoming PS4 and X1 release. Though if anything it was more than likely a capcom oversight. The rest of the growth for the franchises makes sense. Mega Man had legacy collections, Street Fighter V has been trudging along and SF2 on Switch sold above expectations, AA had a recent mobile release and the japanese exclusive games, Resident Evil is resident evil and always has a large catalog that sells, Dragons Dogma saw the PS4 and X1 port, and MVC recently had MVC:I. It sure would be nice to see some growth in those other franchises listed though.

Archive before the recent update - https://web.archive.org/web/20170803171404/http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/salesdata.html

Link to current page
-http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/salesdata.html

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Well if you re-release a game 1.6 million times, there's a chance someone will buy it each time :)

Actually I'm really pleased Okami remains in Capcom's interests, and I only hope that the upcoming re-release is indication that they are looking to keep the IP alive.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried Okami on the Wii, didn't get super huge into it, but may rectify that for the PC release. It's a series I would like to see do well.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
games that had new entries or rereleases had growth
games that are trapped in limbo had no growth

hmmmmmmmm i'm sure there's a message somewhere
i know, more franchises need to be killed!

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Okami has close to 2 million sales after being on the PS2, Wii, PS3 and soon PS4, XB1, and PC.

That's not me ragging on the game since I love it but yeah Capcom is gonna get sales if they keep putting on a bunch of stuff.

There are 8 okami titles?
I don't know where they are getting 8 either. Even counting Okamiden that's OG Okami on 6 platforms and that on the DS making 7.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't care much for Okami but I recently played Dragon's Dogma and loved it.

Devil May Cry can't grow if they haven't made a game recently. Last one that came out was in 2008.

And turning a major franchise into a shoddy phone game is equal to just outright killing it. BoF's been dead since Dragon Quarter.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Okami has close to 2 million sales after being on the PS2, Wii, PS3 and soon PS4, XB1, and PC.

That's not me ragging on the game since I love it but yeah Capcom is gonna get sales if they keep putting on a bunch of stuff.

I don't know where they are getting 8 either. Even counting Okamiden that's OG Okami on 6 platforms and that on the DS making 7.
okamiden on ds

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
This number has been a thing since the 2nd quarter report. And it seems like they're including Okamiden and greatest hits in the list of titles for Okami because I certainly don't remember 8 separate SKUs for it. And you typically don't add it's future platforms on it either

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Capcom lists a lot of their SKUs as "titles". So for Okami the 8 titles is all its platforms it's been released on.
Along with Okamiden. So even stuff like Okami PS3 physical and then Okami PS3 Physical "Greatest hits" would count as 2 separate "titles"

Ok, now it makes sense. Still kinda weird since the PS4/XO/PC version is not out yet.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
The continued legacy of Okami is always going to be Capcom's "Huge Mistake" moment considering it not performing gangbusters at the time seemed like the impetus to rid themselves of Team Clover (Inafune whispering in execs ears certainly probably didn't help).

There are 8 okami titles?
Okami PS2
Okami Wii
Okamiden DS
Okami HD PS3
Okami HD PS4
Okami HD PC
Okami HD XBO
?????????????

Edit: Oh, I guess mayber the PS3 hard-copy counts as its own SKU as well huh.

Capcom lists a lot of their SKUs as "titles". So for Okami the 8 titles is all its platforms it's been released on.
Along with Okamiden. So even stuff like Okami PS3 physical and then Okami PS3 Physical "Greatest hits" would count as 2 separate "titles"
Yeah, a lot of Japanese companies do their own greatest hits line and they're counted as separate SKUs on the usual trackers for Japan. So yes, it's the same game, but a new release.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This number has been a thing since the 2nd quarter report. And it seems like they're including Okamiden and greatest hits in the list of titles for Okami because I certainly don't remember 8 separate SKUs for it. And you typically don't add it's future platforms on it either
Surprised I missed them. I usually go on that page pretty often. It definitely hadn't updated when I made the Capcom Community thread a few weeks ago.
As for okami it's possible they counted the new SKUs. They could already have their total ship numbers.

Monster Hunter with no grows? Weren't Stories and Generations released these past two years?

Guessing Stories and XX haven't managed a million yet.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so incredibly happy that Capcom is still holding on to Okami. It's one of my favorite games of all time and I'm still holding out hope for a "true" sequel some day.

The continued legacy of Okami is always going to be Capcom's "Huge Mistake" moment considering it not performing gangbusters at the time seemed like the impetus to rid themselves of Team Clover (Inafune whispering in execs ears certainly probably didn't help).

Okami PS2
Okami Wii
Okamiden DS
Okami HD PS3
Okami HD PS4
Okami HD PC
Okami HD XBO
?????????????

Edit: Oh, I guess mayber the PS3 hard-copy counts as its own SKU as well huh.

I'm wondering this as well! I came up with 7 releases for Okami. If the PS3 hard-copy counts as a different SKU, shouldn't that also be the case for the PS4/XBO versions that are about to come out?

viral

Oct 25, 2017

I'm just glad they didn't abandon it. Most publishers wouldn't rerelease a relatively poor-selling game this many times. It's good to see that Capcom still cares about the game.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Dragons Dogma - 3.5 Million (Was 3.2 Million)

Not6 bad, not bad...

Who is gonna fund the sequel tho?

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
See, Devil May Cry is easily one of their most profitable franchise. If my maths don't suck, Devil May Cry is their third most profitable franchise - per title - they have, behind Resident Evil (almost a tie) and Monster Hunter.

Devil May Cry can't grow if they haven't made a game recently. Last one that came out was in 2008.

DMC4SE was released recently.

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
No.
LP2 is one of the best coop games out there and Ive heard good things about 3. At least the story.
Coming from LP1 which I loved the campaign and the competitive multiplayer LP2 only upset me with how co-op was so integral into it and I didn't like it all that much. I can vouch for 3 it tells it's story well and does a good job being a prequel to 1. Multiplayer was whatever though.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I'm wondering this as well! I came up with 7 releases for Okami. If the PS3 hard-copy counts as a different SKU, shouldn't that also be the case for the PS4/XBO versions that are about to come out?
Probably because it was a Premium Pack with merch additions and whatnot while the current releases are all inclusive of the same stuff just either disc based or download based. Vidya sku histories be weird, yo.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Coming from LP1 which I loved the campaign and the competitive multiplayer LP2 only upset me with how co-op was so integral into it and I didn't like it all that much. I can vouch for 3 it tells it's story well and does a good job being a prequel to 1. Multiplayer was whatever though.
Lost Planet 2 was pure unadulterated fun though. Story could be whatever if the game is such a bliss to play, especially on multiplayer (both coop and vs maps). Campaign is solo-able as well even on Hard, you just need to know what you're doing on the train mission.

It was Monster Hunter with guns, and it executed the concept really, really well.

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
Lost Planet 2 was pure unadulterated fun though. Story could be whatever if the game is such a bliss to play, especially on multiplayer (both coop and vs maps). Campaign is solo-able as well even on Hard, you just need to know what you're doing on the train mission.
I guess I just didn't get what I was doing. I had a really bad time playing it :/ never finished it either probably didn't give it a fair chance.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because it was a Premium Pack with merch additions and whatnot while the current releases are all inclusive of the same stuff just either disc based or download based. Vidya sku histories be weird, yo.

Ah... That definitely makes sense then. I still want to get my hands on one of those JPN PS3 copies despite no longer owning a PS3. I've just been too cheap to buy one on Ebay.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, Devil May Cry is easily one of their most profitable franchise. If my maths don't suck, Devil May Cry is their third most profitable franchise - per title - they have, behind Resident Evil (almost a tie) and Monster Hunter.

DMC4SE was released recently.

Oh that's right. I guess rereleases count when it comes to this. After all I am the sucker who tends to buy them and will probably continue buying then.

vala

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what's the deal with the 8 releases...
Maybe something like this?
Ps2+Wii+Ds+Ps3 original release + best price re-release = 8
Since every game had a cheap re-release in Japan
Or maybe something like this?
Ps2+Wii+Ds+Ps3 japanese version + international version = 8
I'm pretty sure they are not counting the new ports, since they are not out yet

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Keeps getting stronger.

Yeah...calling bullshit on that one.

There's so much Monster Hunter shit out there that's popular, including a Switch port that's selling better than they expected. If fucking Okami warrants an update, I'm not sure how Monster Hunter doesn't.

It more than likely had growth. But not enough for capcom to want to bother updating. As we just say with okami.
Sometimes capcom can straight up say "nah" when it comes to updating that page for whatever reason. Probably want to save that update for when World comes out.
So the growth there looks even bigger (Even though it will incorporate those older titles like XX Switch and Stories).

I think it works in the reverse too. DMC didn't jump up any numbers.
Despite them adding 300K copies to the original DmC.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So they shipped a lot of copies of PS4/XB1 Okami.

You can look at how the MvC franchise went up 900k copies and that's what Capcom reported they shipped initially.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Guessing Stories and XX haven't managed a million yet.

Yea no. They have updates of less than 200k in the numbers. Switch XX by itself did over 250k. This is Capcom trying to control the narrative that MHW shows growth for the franchise. Update then and pad the numbers with XX and stories.