• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
RE and MH ? Sure. The rest of their titles aren't in the right genre. I guess SF could sell as much as MK if they put in some more money , but fighters themselves aren't as big.

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom should milk Resident Evil more, which sounds crazy but if you actually look at it there's loads more potential there.
(Mercenaries stand alone game, every series character, nickel and dime the billion costumes every character has...
There's your GAAS)

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
They're in for a rude awakening if they think they can milk MH on home consoles as much as they did on handhelds.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A Lost Planet reboot of even HD remix would be really nice right about now, as would announcing G-Rank content for MHW.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Another new Financial report, another new direction for the business. It's like Capcom doesn't realise that people can still read the last report/Q&A.

Grindwolf

Nov 29, 2017
Afghanistan
Inb4 Cap going the way of the dodo, I really hope they dont chase after the AAA market for the west. 200M for one game is a risky situation. Remember when CAP has Clover and killed them to focus on core games. To me it sounds like they are going to pull a square enix and make a bunch of great games that all miss the sells expectants marks, then scuttle the Devs.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
RE and MH ? Sure. The rest of their titles aren't in the right genre. I guess SF could sell as much as MK if they put in some more money , but fighters themselves aren't as big.
Another mainline Street Fighter probably won't be until at least 2022 since we still have 2 more seasons of SFV DLC (minimum) to go after Season 3 wraps up. So while I could see SF being factored in later, I don't think it's what Capcom's talking about here.

RoboBat

Nov 8, 2017
US
Admittedly MH is the main Capcom series I'm interested in, and I think if they balance between releasing them on PS4/XBONE/PC in addition to either some sort of fitting quality ports for Switch or continued spin-offs appropriate for the system, I think they could do great building from there.

I'm also in the minority of people who preferred RE5/6 to the originals and 7 so it's unlikely any new ones in that vein would catch my interest.

Other than that more Ace Attorney (but I know it's one of the lower selling series they have, despite doing well for its genre), and I did greatly enjoy Lost Planet 2 but never played the others so I can't speak for its overall quality and appeal.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
You mean the game that sold 7 million copies and is the third best selling game Capcom has released?
need citations but even though RE6 is one of the more successful capcom titles in terms of sales, i don't think its profit margin was the greatest because it's like the most expensive game capcom ever spent on developing.

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil is easily the biggest and most successful horror series ever made, So they have got the western competition beat in that area.

Anything is possible...

With a fuck tonne of money

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Will that expand DMC's following tough?

A compromise like this:

Base: 30 FPS
Pro/X: 60 FPS

Doesn't sound too far-fetched. That will satiate the core audience and probably lure in more players. Let's be honest, these hypothetical new players will likely value a visual upgrade more than 60 FPS.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

A compromise like this:

Doesn't sound too far-fetched. That will satiate the core audience and probably lure in more players. Let's be honest, these hypothetical new players will likely value a visual upgrade more than 60 FPS.
RE7 was 60fps on base consoles too, DMC prides itself on being the best action combat 60fps is very important

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

A compromise like this:

I don't think it's just a matter of graphics that attracts new players. Presentation & type of game matters a lot. I mean MHW is not that impressive graphically compared to most AAA titles but it sold a ton.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

A compromise like this:

If this were a new Onimusha then Capcom should prioritize graphics. DMC needs to be 60fps.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Capcom might be my favourite developer, but I'm not sure how I feel about this. They've tried this before, with mixed results. I also like Capcom best when they make weird, playful shit, which seems like the opposite direction from this. They're not going to make the next proper Breath of Fire by trying to woo the global market.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, MHW's graphic is not up to western AAA standard, not by a long shot. Capcom struck a jackpot there, hope they don't take it as the norm.

Wizzly

Jan 10, 2018
Capcom is back.

They have some great IP for good solo or coop games, or they could create new ones.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"While the Japanese home video game market is sizable, it is less than 10% the size of the global market."

No shit. The next thing he'll say is that most of planet earth is water. lol

And Capcom must be dreaming if they think that can reach EA, Activision Blizzard or Ubisoft when they can't even surpass Konami, Square Enix, Sega and most of the big japanese companies. Despite this, just launch my Ace Attorney and a Viewtiful Joe remaster and I'll be happy.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom cant even compete against japanese publishers

Monster Hunter World is the highest selling non-Final Fantasy third party Japanese title to date. That's pretty impressive. Even Resident Evil VII sold more than most Japanese third party games can ever hope to sell globally. Your hate boner for Capcom is pretty obvious now given posts in other recent threads, but they're objectively better positioned to capture global audiences with their games than most other Japanese publishers not called Square Enix or Bandai Namco. They just need to stay focused unlike they did last gen.

I'm personally cautious about this, but not worried just yet.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
MH stands alone because that team has always put out quality and they finally were allowed to go crazy on new hardware. It's also a co op game with challenging but rewarding gameplay which is a recipe for success.

Englebert3rd

Oct 31, 2017
Make Megaman Legends 3
Make a proper Dead Rising, give it back to Japan
Make a Dragon's Dogma sequel, you can even use Monster Hunter World's engine
Release Resident Evil 2 Remake

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Itll be beyond absurd if there isnt a dino crisis in the making.
West still lovesdino, crapcom already has plenty of hd dino and jungle assets which i would argue is the biggest hassle in making such a game.

Oct 27, 2017
I was ok with everything until I read esports.

Why.

WHY.

I just want Dragons Dogma 2 and good Resident Evil/ Dead Rising games, why did you have to say esports

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
Capcom we have a genre called RPG that you have abandon and Breath of Fire is need of saving, So pretend Breath of Fire 6 mobile never existed and make the real Breath of Fire 6 game fans has been waiting for ^_^

Anyways if this is for esports stop hiding and give us Capcom vs SNK 3 NOW!!!!!!!!

Oct 27, 2017
Prioritize graphics in DMCV.

Otherwise, it'll remain a 2-3 million seller despite being multiplatform.

^graphics = 30 FPS.

You got a winner.

As long as they keep it a high-skill character action game that's all about the combat it's probably never going to sell much more than about 3 million at the high end. If they broadened the scope a bit, maybe made it resemble something like Darksiders or God of War with puzzles, exploration etc then I'd say it has the potential to break through that ceiling.

Last time they chase the western cashcow went into a slump for years.
Hope they can do it right this time

Yeah, this is a little concerning. Hopefully they don't farm out a lot of stuff to low-quality western studios this time.

Release Dragons Dogma 2 and Deep Down then

I really think DD2 would have such potential. They've got an amazing foundation and western RPGs are the hotness right now, so it's a shame they're not pushing forward with a sequel.

Capcom trying to compete with Western AAA sounds pretty disconcerting. It didn't end well when they tried this before.
On the other hand, (And as lukewarm I am on God of War) I would be interested in an Onimusha sequel/reboot in that style.

I think Onimusha would really suit a Souls-style reboot. Nioh got there first, but there's room for more than one game of that specific style.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Is making more games in general, including AA titles instead of everything being AAA not an option for growth?

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
To ggx2ac's earlier post on this response, other than Monster Hunter, don't expect anything AAA from Capcom to hit the Nintendo Switch. Look elsewhere.

Ace Attorney is still a Nintendo exclusive on consoles afaik. Mega Man XI is coming on Switch too.

But don't worry, i'm not going to get excited about Capcom's stuffs anymore: it's not the quality of their games (which is fine most of the time) , but their talent on screwing the release in some way (bad timing, not coming to all platforms, exclusive to one platform but "we are not going to tell you publicly", no physical release cause "we didn't think it was going to succeed", crappy ports,...)

I can't trust them anymore.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And that's why I always say Capcom is dumb. While they're pandering to the West and slicing data in the most ridiculous possible way ("Japan is 10%", ignoring that it's like the 3rd biggest gaming country in the world), the other publishers with strong domestic arms are taking their lunch.

Their revenue with MHW, their biggest possible hit, is still very far away from all the other big publishers in Japan. They can't compete with EA or Ubisoft.

Their Inafune philosophy never left the company anyway. They will keep chasing this western golden goose forever, I just want to see if they can keep themselves healthy when they don't have a home market to rely on anymore...

They should start working with Nintendo on Zelda games again.

Oracle of Seasons and Ages were 2 of the best Zeldas!
Capcom has no interest or talent to do this.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MHW did well in the West, so I suppose Capcom's on to something here. Hopefully DMCV delivers on all fronts.

MHW did well worldwide. In Japan itself it's sold nearly 3 million with digital included. I'm personally looking forward to RE2 remake, it's going to be a big title for them.

So they're going back to the strategy that almost bankrupt the company last gen. Sounds like a plan. Lol.

I mean, it clearly worked for MHW as it shipped over 8 million copies worldwide. This is even before the PC release.