• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Link: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/explanation.html

This comes from their Q&A for their fiscal year results.
I've only grabbed the questions related to growing globally as a company.

Monster Hunter: World was a hit during the fiscal year ended March 31, 2018; what impact will it have on the Consumer business going forward?

We created Monster Hunter: World as a title that takes full advantage of game hardware specifications in order to build Monster Hunter into a global brand. Our success in making it a hit shows both the capabilities of our developers and the brand power of our IP. In order to continue growing as a global company, we are making the level of quality found in Monster Hunter: World a benchmark for the AAA titles we develop going forward.

What will be necessary for Capcom to grow over the next five years?

While the Japanese home video game market is sizable, it is less than 10% the size of the global market. We believe that Capcom must win out against publishers on the global stage, such as those in the U.S. and Europe, in order to grow in the medium- to long-term. Esports, which has been garnering attention throughout the globe, provides the perfect opportunity for us to compete on the world stage. The Capcom brand already enjoys high levels of recognition globally; as such, we are streamlining our corporate structure in order to leverage this brand recognition and win out at the global level.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
MHW did well in the West, so I suppose Capcom's on to something here. Hopefully DMCV delivers on all fronts.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Prioritize graphics in DMCV.

Otherwise, it'll remain a 2-3 million seller despite being multiplatform.

^graphics = 30 FPS.

You got a winner.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
This is probably not even close to their new plans but...

Mega Man Legends remaster/remake/reboot/sequel/prequel/anything ;_;

Not specifically for me, but my SO loves that spin off so much.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Don't know what to think about Capcom anymore. They're probably one of the pubs with the most potential but also one of those that don't really know how to use it all the time.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
They are talking about looking at esports and people here bring up Mega Man ROFL.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
This pursuit is what got them in hot water in the first place!

I mean, they are right that it's necessary if they want to grow, but they need to be careful to not put all of their eggs in one basket.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I feel like that <10% figure is greatly affected by western juggernauts like EA and Activision games, most of which don't sell particularly well in Japan. I mean, Monster Hunter World did closer to 25-30% in Japan.

If Capcom thinks they're the next EA, then... lol.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
To ggx2ac's earlier post on this response, other than Monster Hunter, don't expect anything AAA from Capcom to hit the Nintendo Switch. Look elsewhere.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
DmC even sold 2.7 million despite the uproar against the MC and 30 FPS.

Amazing graphics will do more good than harm in expanding the franchise.
......You're serious? I honestly thought that you were trolling for a moment.

Is that number counting the Definitive Edition? Either way, Capcom clearly backpedalled from the DmC line, so I doubt that they'd attempt to have a mainline DMC game run at 30fps. Lord Itsuno knows better than that, we must have faith.

Isendrix

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom trying to compete with Western AAA sounds pretty disconcerting. It didn't end well when they tried this before.
On the other hand, (And as lukewarm I am on God of War) I would be interested in an Onimusha sequel/reboot in that style.

Heart_Attack

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So they're going back to the strategy that almost bankrupt the company last gen. Sounds like a plan. Lol.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'm trying to figure out what IPs they have that they could revive that has potential to be really popular for the western market and aside from DMC, I guess the top choices would probably be something like Onimusha/Strider/Dino Crisis?

As long as they aren't making another Lost Planet I guess.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm trying to figure out what IPs they have that they could revive that has potential to be really popular for the western market and aside from DMC, I guess the top choices would probably be something like Onimusha/Strider/Dino Crisis?

As long as they aren't making another Lost Planet I guess.
*lights Jawmuncher signal*

As for Strider, didn't he get a solid reboot not too long ago?

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Just make Dragons Dogma 2 and hire Todd Howard to give a few demonstrations of it. Bada-bing bada boom gangbusters.

Oct 27, 2017
They need to not expect that every game will do monster hunter numbers because that is a path to making a bunch of poor decisions.

I do agree that Japanese developers should consider the WW market more though. Their own console market is limited and the mobile market is fickle and may not always get them the revenues they are getting now.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Didn't they try already with lost planet, asura's wrath and RE during ps360 days?
Then they gave up and released a bunch of ports and remasters again and again ?

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom Ips that could do really well in the west are:
Dino Crisis: Dinos sell really well I mean look at the Jurassic World movie revenue and even monster hunter world main ads featured Ajanath as a selling point.
Dragon Dogma: a highly graphically polished sequel would do really well looking at the Witcher 3 and Horizon success. Also the long time good word of mouth for the original will help a lot.