• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Is the consensus that it will be too soon for having RE8 next fiscal year ?

If so, a new Monster Hunter release is pretty much guarenteed.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So 2019 will have RER2, DMCV and possibly another big one?
I think they mean fiscal years (for example, this fiscal year was April 2018 to March 2019), so you might not see another game within the next calendar year if they decide to put them all in Q1 2020.

That said, I suspect they wouldn't shove three games in three months, so we'll probably see something before then.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Asked this in the other thread but has RE engine really streamlined development for them? Thier pumping out some high qualities shit.... if they can keep it up.

Oct 27, 2017
Dang, all the restructuring at Capcom must have kicked something into high gear at Capcom, I like it.

Given we have gotten two big Resident Evil titles, two Monster Hunter games, and a new Devil May Cry all since the start of 2017, I can see them working on some of their older properties from the PS2 era such as Okami and Onimusha.

In addition, I am pretty positive they are going to have a new fighting game announcement soon. I'm going to assume it will be either a crossover with SNK (since the latter has had crossovers all over the place lately) or maybe a new Rival Schools. Both are franchises Itsuno had a good amount of involvement in, and with how much everyone loves Itsuno, I can see Capcom allowing him to lead a new fighting game project.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only makes sense. If you want to be a major publisher in today's market for the long haul it's pretty much necessary.

Ubisoft have done really well around this and are ahead of the curve in a lot of ways. It's why you are seeing companys like Take Two and WB trying to expand now to keep pace

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Asked this in the other thread but has RE engine really streamlined development for them? Thier pumping out some high qualities shit.... if they can keep it up.

Yes, especially when it comes to RE games, they can now release a lot of AAA-looking RE games at a faster pace than before.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Ubisoft have done really well around this and are ahead of the curve in a lot of ways. It's why you are seeing companys like Take Two and WB trying to expand now to keep pace

Both 2K and WB need to expand and start releasing games, WB went from releasing 4 major games + LEGO titles in 2015 to only 1-2 every year or less.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dang, all the restructuring at Capcom must have kicked something into high gear at Capcom, I like it.

Given we have gotten two big Resident Evil titles, two Monster Hunter games, and a new Devil May Cry all since the start of 2017, I can see them working on some of their older properties from the PS2 era such as Okami and Onimusha.

In addition, I am pretty positive they are going to have a new fighting game announcement soon. I'm going to assume it will be either a crossover with SNK (since the latter has had crossovers all over the place lately) or maybe a new Rival Schools. Both are franchises Itsuno had a good amount of involvement in, and with how much everyone loves Itsuno, I can see Capcom allowing him to lead a new fighting game project.

CVS3 isn't happening, Oda confirmed as much.

Work on Rival Schools would only begin after Itsuno and co. finish up DMCV, so the announcement wouldn't really come any time soon.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Monster Hunter world to become a yearly franchise? I guess monster hunter already is a yearly franchise if you count the addons. why have they not announced the addon for world yet!

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wait...

Isnt this at odds with their "every game is GAAS" announcement? Unless I have a fundamental misunderstanding of what this means.

GAAS means they release a game, and then follow it up with paid updates until the end of time, right? How would this work with also releasing 3 major games a year?

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Both 2K and WB need to expand and start releasing games, WB went from releasing 4 major games + LEGO titles in 2015 to only 1-2 every year or less.
Both companies have talked a lot in interviews about how they intend to really go at expanding their company, especially Take-Two.

If you're interested in Take-Two's strategy, this is for the 2K branch alone (so not counting the four new games out of Private Division, which is an entirely new branch of Take-Two, for example): https://www.resetera.com/threads/2k...l-new-partners-bigger-studios-gaas-mor.57322/

• This year at E3, Take-Two's 2K division (so excluding Rockstar and Private Division) had a booth with zero games in it. (This happened because Borderlands 3 got delayed at the last minute and they knew no one would come see NBA or WWE). 2K does not intend to repeat this event.
  • 2K intends to fix this by growing significantly. First they detailed three pillars of their strategy, and then gave a bunch of specifics.
  • Pillar 1: More Games - They're going to make a lot more games, both internally and with existing their long term partners.
  • Pillar 2: More Resources - They're going to notably increase the size of their internal studios and start working with new external partners.
  • Pillar 3: Games as a Service - They want all their games to be long term experiences that have events and grow and change over time.
  • Afterwards, 2K detailed some specifics about all of the above.
  • Firaxis is making a New IP. They will also keep making Civilization and XCOM games.
  • WWE is going to get significantly more investment. If you're wondering why, NBA2K went from a 2-3 million franchise to a 9+ million copy franchise after they started heavily investing in quality year after year.
  • 2K is aware that there aren't a lot of large scale independent studios that are still alive, so they are also looking to partner with mid-sized independent studios who have had success, but now want to expand into making AAA titles.
  • 2K is also looking to expand heavily in both mobile and China.
  • 2K is interested in both expanding into genres they're not currently working in, and in offering more games in genres they're already working in. They're open to almost any idea as long as they think it's a good idea with a good team behind it.
  • 2K feels it's important to do this as it's hard to meaningfully grow their business with just the games they have.

Warner is kind of a disaster company, so they've been much less successful in expanding or keeping new partners.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait...

Isnt this at odds with their "every game is GAAS" announcement? Unless I have a fundamental misunderstanding of what this means.

GAAS means they release a game, and then follow it up with paid updates until the end of time, right? How would this work with also releasing 3 major games a year?

You release 3 GaaS a year and see what sticks and what doesnt. Keep supporting those who stick.

Oct 27, 2017
CVS3 isn't happening, Oda confirmed as much.

Work on Rival Schools would only begin after Itsuno and co. finish up DMCV, so the announcement wouldn't really come any time soon.

Oh yeah I remember that now. He said those games were released at the point both companies were exhausted with their franchise, so I can see them changing their minds in the future, once SNK has gotten more fighting games out.

Rival Schools is definitely not soon, but I honestly can't think of another fighting game project Capcom could be working on right now.

No Battle Network collection?

After Legends :)

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Both companies have talked a lot in interviews about how they intend to really go at expanding their company, especially Take-Two.

If you're interested in Take-Two's strategy, this is for the 2K branch alone (so not counting the four new games out of Private Division, which is an entirely new branch of Take-Two, for example): https://www.resetera.com/threads/2k...l-new-partners-bigger-studios-gaas-mor.57322/

Warner is kind of a disaster company, so they've been much less successful in expanding or keeping new partners.

Thanks, that's interesting.

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Good grief this is a bold move from Capcom. I wonder if Remasters count as major release too. I'm interested to see what happens though, I'd love a huge Capcom resurgence.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Wait...

That probably depends on if they get something to stick, you can't expect to make your game a "GAAS" game and it being an instant money source automatically, half of those games will probably be forgotten after a few months, GAAS or no GAAS.
If they manage to actually make one of those games that instantly conecct to the audience and then it just wont die, then you can expect them to put everything else to the side and milk that shit as hard as possible.
When publishers and devs say GAAS they don't mean supporting a stinker just because they said so, they are still after the one thing that makes them a ton of money.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
So MH (Switch and G version), RE (remake and new entries), Fighting games and DMC. What else is there to fill 3 large games each year? unless they're going to dig into their library of IPs?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's definitely some overlap, as RE2 was announced prior to RE7 announcement

RE2 was a special case since it was announced before the game was pitched to Capcom's bosses lol.

I do wonder if they'll ever take another go at the latter, given Capcom Fighting Evolution was bland.

It's really the best thing they can do with their VS series.

Just dump Marvel and make it all about Capcom characters.