Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018

Any MH game targeted to middle-high school kids, like when it was on the PSP? A: Yes, we have dev plans for a MH game like that.

So according to Gaijin Hunter who translated the blog of Q&As from Capcom IR meeting, they are planning a MH game similar to the PSP (Handhelds?).

UPDATE:
Thanks to ggx2ac, we can now confirm the questions and answers that have been asked at the meeting:

www.capcom.co.jp

株主総会 | 株式・債券情報 | 株式会社カプコン

カプコンの定時株主総会について掲載しています。

This confirms the question did get asked:
(The following is Google translated)

Q: I would like to ask about the expansion of "Monster Hunter: World" to Nintendo Switch. Also, I would like you to once again sell "Monster Hunter" that high school students can enjoy.

A: Currently, we are not planning to deploy "Monster Hunter: World" on the Nintendo Switch. We are planning to develop a "Monster Hunter" that can be enjoyed by junior and senior high school students, and look forward to future developments

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So a Switch game, since that's probably the only prominent portable system left? Well......Switch or mobile, but I'm not sure how big Capcom Dev 2 are into mobile games (Teppen was outsourced).

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Does MH have a mobile game? because every kid over there probably has a smart phone.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Probably another game in the vein of Monster Hunter Generations I'm assuming then.

How were the psp entries targeted at middle/high school kids

I don't really feel like anything in the game's design was, but the games were primarily played by that demographic in Japan. IIRC middle and high schools often had "Monster Hunter clubs".

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know enough about Monster Hunter, but are the just asking if they have a handheld iteration as that's what most middle and high schoolers play?

The same phrasing used in the west could easily be construed as something less "adult" than what they currently have.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand. I never played the PSP games. My familiarity of the franchise stems solely from World->Generations->3U/4U. What makes these PSP games targeted towards middle schoolers that the Nintendo console and beyond titles aren't?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I misread that as new Monster Hunter not coming to Switch. I guess this PSP-like thing will probably be on that then.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Will they do it?
Will they pull MonHun Mobile before MonHun Switch?

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
MHW on Switch was never going to be a thing when they have been developing a MH Exclusive Switch game in the first place.

Does MH have a mobile game? because every kid over there probably has a smart phone.
Monster Hunter Explore a few years ago (servers shut down already), and Monster Hunter Riders (which according to gaijinhunter is shit)

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like that they ask specifically about MHW on Switch rather than a general MH game. Makes it easy for them to say no, because the Switch would never get Monster Hunter World.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand. I never played the PSP games. My familiarity of the franchise stems solely from World->Generations->3U/4U. What makes these PSP games targeted towards middle schoolers that the Nintendo console and beyond titles aren't?

The PSP years were just peak popularity for the series, I believe. MH Portable 2nd G was like the game's zeitgeist peak in Japan, so it's the game people think about when they think Monster Hunter, kind of like how Melee is the "default" Smash game.