• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
As part of the Champion Edition update to Street Fighter 5, Capcom has introduced an online tournament mode to allow players to participate in Capcom run tournament events. Capcom recently released the online tournament rules and FAQ for interested players. Among the requirements to participate in an online tournament is that players must have a fast, wired internet connection:

Tournaments require both a connection speed of at least 3 Mbps or higher and a wired internet connection or else you will not be allowed to participate.

Check the box next to "I Agree" if you agree to the conditions.

*If you are found to be in violation of the above requirements, you may be disqualified from the tournament.
*Please note that even if your connection speed is 3 Mbps or higher at the time of your entry, you may still be disqualified if your connection speed drops to below 3 Mbps on the day of the tournament due to ISP or other internet connection issues.

Tournament mode also includes a flag button to report laggy or potentially cheating opponents.

I'm not sure how Capcom will be weeding out wifi users, whether through a back-end tool that flags players on a wifi connection or relying on the honor system/player reporting, but this requirement does a lot to boost my confidence in SFV's online tournament mode for the upcoming year. Wifi connections have no place in the fighting game genre and anything that encourages people to run an ethernet cord is a positive to me.

Now if only Capcom will finally give us the option to let us see our opponent's connection type during online match matching...

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Good, go further & let us filter out Wi-Fi users in SFVI. At least do what MK11 did & let us know if our opponent is using Ethernet or Wi-Fi (as you said, OP).

Morphis

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, interesting. Glad I use a cable, curious to see if there's less lag in that mode.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I had to play SCVI over mobile data and I felt like an asshole the whole time. Good.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Netherrealm should take notes. The community has been asking for a wifi filter since the release. Props to Capcom, but that aside they still need to improve the netcode, the online is unplayable depending on your internet provider intricacies.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
What DoA6 and MK do where you see if someone is on wifi or wired should really be the standard going forward and if the tournament mode recognizes wifi and bans you from participating there is no reason why a a patch can't add a connection type display for normal matchmaking

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those things that you shouldn't listen to the internet about.

The added 4-5ms of latency from a wifi access point isn't going to matter when you're paired against someone half a world away that is routing through a ridiculous quantity of routing points.

A simple minimum ping rate would have been a much more elegant and worthwhile measure.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

The added 4-5ms of latency from a wifi access point isn't going to matter when you're paired against someone half a world away that is routing through a ridiculous quantity of routing points.

A simple minimum ping rate would have been a much more elegant and worthwhile measure.
It's not about added latency, it's about fluctuations in latency/"lag spikes". Wifi isn't consistent.

The game doesn't display ping and given that it's peer to peer anyway, how would people check that in advance?

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Why isn't this a standard for all online fighting games in general? Because it totally should.

I'm not sure how Capcom will be weeding out wifi users, whether through a back-end tool that flags players on a wifi connection or relying on the honor system/player reporting, but this requirement does a lot to boost my confidence in SFV's online tournament mode for the upcoming year. Wifi connections have no place in the fighting game genre and anything that encourages people to run an ethernet cord is a positive to me.

Now if only Capcom will finally give us the option to let us see our opponent's connection type during online match matching...

I know Mortal Kombat 11 actually acknowledges your connection type when looking for games. Not sure if some recent breakthrough was made or what, but this totally needs to be a standard for all fighting games going forward for sure.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017

It has this at least:

"Tournaments require both a connection speed of at least 3 Mbps or higher and a wired internet connection or else you will not be allowed to participate."

SFV doesn't show ping, idk how they would determine that.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Shitty internet is still going to be shitty internet. I mean, guess it's a good thing that I don't play SFV at all but again it's not a wifi problem. It's a shitty wifi problem. But we had a thread on this.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has this at least:

"Tournaments require both a connection speed of at least 3 Mbps or higher and a wired internet connection or else you will not be allowed to participate."

Minimum latency (ping) is just as important minimum bandwidth. You're going to get the same added latency on a wired connection as you are on a wifi connection if a higher priority device on a shared network take priority in transmitting packets.

This is just one of those things that internet warriors want to champion without actually paying attention to the real issue.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Minimum latency (ping) is just as important minimum bandwidth. You're going to get the same added latency on a wired connection as you are on a wifi connection if a higher priority device on a shared network take priority in transmitting packets.

This is just one of those things that internet warriors want to champion without actually paying attention to the real issue.

It's not built into the game as something we can see. How are they going to do this for SFV?

I think that's the point here. What they are trying to do for this endeavor.

For the future? Sure, hopefully it's shown in SF6. And they can gate online tournaments with it.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Netherrealm should take notes. The community has been asking for a wifi filter since the release. Props to Capcom, but that aside they still need to improve the netcode, the online is unplayable depending on your internet provider intricacies.
The problem is that they aren't giving SFV the actually-working version of the Kagemusha netcode found in MvCI. But at this point, we're better off waiting for SFVI for better netcode.

With that said, this ban on Wi-Fi users is only limited to Tournament Mode. You don't have such a filter for normal play, but at least the game recognizes who's using ethernet & who's using Wi-Fi.

Feb 24, 2018
Probably because sometime we do in fact want to play the games we paid for.
This is one of times people seem to forget that great or even weird internet access isn't going to be available in a lot of areas or just plain impossible, though since their is a user already mocking the idea of that, I doubt anyone will listen. Being able to customise your searches to remove wi-fi players is one thing, banning them entirely seems too far.

TouchOfGray

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As if this niche AF genre can afford to limit it's pool of online players even more.

edit: I'm talking about asking for this outside of tournaments.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of times people seem to forget that great or even weird internet access isn't going to be available in a lot of areas or just plain impossible, though since their is a user already mocking the idea of that, I doubt anyone will listen. Being able to customise your searches to remove wi-fi players is one thing, banning them entirely seems too far.
They're not banned entirely, just for tournaments, which seems perfectly fair to me.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

This is a tournament mode run by Capcom themselves rather than being player run. They need to have stable connections for this to work well. If players with really bad connections are allowed in, people are going to have a bad time and the mode will fall apart.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like I'm not a big fighting game guy and I get for an official tournament you want the best connection. I get get it.

But people cheering and saying that ALL online games should do that? Just fuck me then I guess.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Like I'm not a big fighting game guy and I get for an official tournament you want the best connection. I get get it.

But people cheering and saying that ALL online games should do that? Just fuck me then I guess.
People don't like playing shitty connections. It's not hard to grasp. Why should I be forced to play against someone on a garbage wi-fi connection?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

No one said that all online games should ban Wifi users. But Fighting Games in particular are affected by connections due to Peer to Peer nature. Being able to filter out Wifi connections would improve the experience for a lot of people.