• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, even if you want to discount all of IW, the entirety of Ant-Man and the Wasp is built around the Accords.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
You have to assume there was a lot more to their relationship that took place between movies. At the very least we know they traipsed around the globe taking out Hydra bases for a while.
And even then it showed them hanging out.

I'm sure Tony did consider all of them more than colleagues. But with Cap it was an even more meaningful relationship since Cap knew his father and Tony had to get over his own jealous of Cap.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It went from a film about military overeach, government restrictions and genuine questions about the acceptance of civilian casualties and lack of accountability and turned into a film about a schoolyard level fight over friendship.

OP
OP
Deleted member 21339
Oct 28, 2017
But whatever I didnt care about civil wars ending anyways so I didn't mind. We got some cool action regardless

Yea, I guess the airport scene does have some neat action but to what end? It's an extended scene of two sides showing off their powers and the big shock moment "As I always side catastrophe" ends with Rhodey being paralyzed and functionally healed by the next movie. Some catastrophe.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I like how some people feel that people should intentionally weaken themselves because of something that happened earlier "Whoa, whoa, Thor can't make stormbreaker! He's not the god of hammers! That ruins the ending of Ragnarok!" "Whoa, whoa, what's Rhodey doing, ignoring the accords?! I mean, there was an alien invasion in new york, dr strange, iron-man and spiderman are off world, cap's bringing a damaged Vision to avengers headquarters, and who knows what else is going to go down, but General Ross is telling me to arrest them. Guess I'd better do that, and not try to find out what's going on. I signed the accords!"

Yea, I guess the airport scene does have some neat action but to what end? It's an extended scene of two sides showing off their powers and the big shock moment "As I always side catastrophe" ends with Rhodey being paralyzed and functionally healed by the next movie. Some catastrophe.

The catastrophe is the Avengers breaking up, not Rhodey not being paralyzed. "Oh noes! Rhodey wasn't perpamantly crippled, because he's friends with one of the richest people on earth who already has powered exoskeleton that could be pretty easily adapated to being used to help someone walk."

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
It's mediocre imo. And the involvement of Spider-Man was just unnecessary and straight-up negligent on Stark's part. Also Scott turning into a criminal immediately after his solo movie had him move on from that life was just dumb. It was basically a movie made purely for cameos and introducing future characters. :/

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Again, Ant-Man and the Wasp literally is a movie all about Scott's house arrest for taking a part in that battle.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The people who made Civil War went on to make Infinity War and Endgame...

Ant-Man & The Wasp also used the set-up to explain why its lead was on the outs with his allies when that film began.

Spider-Man: Homecoming also used it to set up Peter's situation in that movie.

Oct 26, 2017
The accords are a red herring in CW, anyways. They were irrelevant to Zemo's plans and can be considered a subplot within the movie, even though it's framed as the main driving force for the plot. If the accords never happened, CW would look different but Zemo's plan would have succeeded in some form or another.

So what proof that Bucky killed the Starks would be believable to you?
Anything where the murderer doesn't show his face to security footage is a good first step. I don't even know why they did that. If we went with the footage by itself, sure fine, whatever. Just let us believe it was enough for Stark to know it was Bucky. Don't have the guy blatantly show his face to the camera. I mean...he shoots the camera AFTER he kills them even. For the Winter Solider, it is dumb of him. He should've simply not realized it was there, else he would have shot it immediately.

Yeah, that was very unrealistic
Agreed.

Natasha Romanoff: I know who killed Fury. Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists, the ones who do call him the Winter Soldier. He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years.
Steve Rogers: So he's a ghost story.
This ghost story showing his face bugs me the most.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Anything where the murderer doesn't show his face to security footage is a good first step. I don't even know why they did that. If we went with the footage by itself, sure fine, whatever. Just let us believe it was enough for Stark to know it was Bucky. Don't have the guy blatantly show his face to the camera. I mean...he shoots the camera AFTER he kills them even. For the Winter Solider, it is dumb of him. He should've simply not realized it was there, else he would have shot it immediately.

Agreed.

Well, when you have discourse surrounding WS/CW with talking points as "Cap didn't know that Bucky killed Stark's parents because it wasn't clearly stated by Zola in Winter Soldier," there is a benefit to having clearly communicated evidence shown (not told) to the audience. The tradeoff, unfortunately, is the loss of some plausibility.

Regardless, Zemo had to find a secret underground Hydra bunker in the middle of Buttfuck Nowhere, Alaska just to find the only video evidence that Bucky killed the Starks. This fits the narrative of "ghost story." The only footage of one of the WS's assassinations on camera was buried in the snow.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Op about to run y'all circles moving goalposts as they please. Nothing you say to op will prove a point... Because they're going to make you answer something as if writers didn't create the story to play out exactly like this. It's irksome to see people argue movies this way.

I don't think I've ever seen a thread of this kind where the OP goes, "wow, ya know? You make a great point, I didn't see it from that perspective before!" Or vice versa, really.

The OP will just answers with more questions.

I agree with the OP when it comes to CW as an individual movie. But I am actually invested in the MCU and see their fallout as a consequence.

Across the MCU it certain shook things up a bit. It even had huge consequences and was part of Black Panther's plot as well.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
If Vision and Wanda were with the Avengers, they would've been able to easily fend of the attacks in the beginning of IW.

Strange never would've gotten abducted, so he and Tony never would have ended up getting beaten on titan and losing the time stone.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Threads like these make me feel like some people just got it out for the MCU or love to flame-bait. Something as clear as day as the separation of the Avengers leading to their loss in Infinity War being a point of contention is just wild. Or hand-waiving the entirety of Ant-Man and the Wasp. The consequentiality is clear and the significance could only be higher if Thanos decided to wipe out all living things instead of half of them.

Even within the movie, the trade in perspectives that Tony/Cap do is consequential in itself. As the Russos and others in this thread have said, you don't need to kill someone for something to be consequential.

Zemo still probably one of the GOAT comic book villains on screen.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Zemo having a security tape out on a random road...a security tape that somehow zooms in in one cut, is the worst part of Civil War. This guy's plan worked because the writers wanted it to. That security footage being the turning point that rips them apart for good is still terrible for me.

It wasn't a random road it was near the Stark home. Tony recognized it immediately.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
TIL OP slept through the movie.

- Battle at the airport is basically one long, drawn-out sparring match, ending with Rhodey getting shot out of the sky , but by film's end he's walking again and functionally the same as he was before. I mean, they couldn't even kill Rhodey? Why does he still need to be alive? Man, at least in BvS, Bruce genuinely wanted to fucking KILL Superman and almost succeeded.

They were fighting, but were all still pretty much friends. Nobody wanted to kill anybody. Wanda flat out says Hawkeye was pulling his punches, and Tony confirms it again in SM:Homecoming. If Cap had WANTED to put Peter down, he would have. Nobody was trying to hurt anybody there and nobody wanted to "Kill Rhodey," jesus christ.

As for Rhodey, he's *paralyzed from the waist down* and needs machinery to walk for the rest of his life. He's not dead, but his life is going to be pretty shitty from here on out because Vision got careless.

- Fight between Cap/Tony/Bucky ends with them walking away virtually .. unscathed? Bucky gets his arm back, Cap writes Tony a letter nice letter apologizing for differing on the Accords and that if he needs him he'll be there. Then he just waltzes in and breaks out the rest of the team lol

Ok...try to keep up. Bucky lost his arm, it doesn't show up again until Infinity War which is over 2 years later. He spent that time in Wakanda undoing all that brainwashing...with one arm.

Cap has given up the Shield and the Captain America title. He's an international fugitive, along with the rest of his team. Ant Man is put under house arrest for 2 years, loses his suit, and the Pyms are PISSED and no longer working with him. Hawkeye takes a plea deal. The rest of the team is on the run for 2 years.

Cap has given Tony his number, but the "Avengers" are done as a unit. The Avengers no longer being a "thing" is responsible for Thanos' crew being able to waltz into new york, beat strange, and walk off with the time stone and ALMOST take the mind stone...because Wanda and Vision were off the Grid. Against a unified Avengers squad that wouldn't have happened.

I mean, couldn't Infinity War have showed Cap fighting to break them out or showed that they suffered in captivity for a while? There are no consequences for Cap's decision to refuse the Accords and it was hardly mentioned again in IW, except for him telling Ross to take a hike. So, what was the point of the Accords? It has no lasting impact on the larger narrative. And, of course, Cap and Tony will quickly put aside their differences in Endgame so what was the point? This movie didn't have the courage to make good on its title. It's pretty disposable in the larger MCU.

There are plenty of consequences, see the above. Half the team are wanted fugitives, the other isn't. The fractured squad meant that the Black Order had an easy time of things whereas they SHOULD have run headlong into defeat and not much else.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That is a fucking hot take of an OP. Maybe if you're a teenager and think consequences are only about death.

If Civil War never happened and Strange showed up to Tony and all the Earth based Avengers they would've been fine.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
If Star Lord would have gone into therapy to deal with his abandonment issues, half of the universe would still be alive.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
I didn't see their failure in IW being a consequence of them being broken up.
if steve rogers and his dumb ass crew of criminals signed the accords, the whole team together with 2 stones couldve easily stopped thanos until Thor came back with the axes and chopped him up

#TeamIronman by themselves basically beat thanos and had the glove off before star lord fucked it, so imagine that same fight in wakanda with a whole army

Civil War just showed how captain america killed half the universe and lied about hiding the murderer of Tony's parents

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As an individual film leading up to that point in the MCU? Most definitely, but they did an okay job at following up on it with Infinity War and Antman & the Wasp.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Well, when you have discourse surrounding WS/CW with talking points as "Cap didn't know that Bucky killed Stark's parents because it wasn't clearly stated by Zola in Winter Soldier," there is a benefit to having clearly communicated evidence shown (not told) to the audience. The tradeoff, unfortunately, is the loss of some plausibility.

Regardless, Zemo had to find a secret underground Hydra bunker in the middle of Buttfuck Nowhere, Alaska just to find the only video evidence that Bucky killed the Starks. This fits the narrative of "ghost story." The only footage of one of the WS's assassinations on camera was buried in the snow.

That Bunker was the base of operations for the Russian Super Soldier Program. It had the bodies of the half dozen super soldiers who were too dangerous to use in stasis, along with the intelligence that went along with the reports for Winter Soldier, the only successful operative.

This..isn't really much of a stretch. Where else would you expect that data and footage to be?

this_guy

Oct 26, 2017
T'Challa took the mantle of Black Panther after his dad died in said film. He also revealed himself to the world.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
if steve rogers and his dumb ass crew of criminals signed the accords, the whole team together with 2 stones couldve easily stopped thanos until Thor came back with the axes and chopped him up

#TeamIronman by themselves basically beat thanos and had the glove off before star lord fucked it, so imagine that same fight in wakanda with a whole army

Civil War just showed how captain america killed half the universe and lied about hiding the murderer of Tony's parents

Good point. Captain America is an asshole, he showed his ass at the end of that movie too. Looked ashamed when iron man asked him if he knew his cornball friend killed his parents

Hopefully when he dies at the end of next avengers his last words are to Tony "I'm sorry, you were always right"

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
That Bunker was the base of operations for the Russian Super Soldier Program. It had the bodies of the half dozen super soldiers who were too dangerous to use in stasis, along with the intelligence that went along with the reports for Winter Soldier, the only successful operative.

This..isn't really much of a stretch. Where else would you expect that data and footage to be?
I don't understand your point. What I was saying is that the footage of WS killing the Starks was hard to find, which contributes to the idea that the Winter Soldier was a "ghost story." Are you corroborating my point?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Yeah, about that. CW Telegraphed in every possible way that signing the accords was the worst possible idea the Avengers could have made.

The guy running the program was Thunderbolt Ross, who created the Abomination and destroyed Harlem. Signing the Accords meant that the Avengers would have been a state sanctioned weapon answering only to him- it would have been a disaster.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
T'Challa took the mantle of Black Panther after his dad died in said film. He also revealed himself to the world.

Also a good point. Way for OP to gloss over "T'chaka dies, setting up Black Panther" as a consequence of that film.

T'Chaka doesn't die, there's no grounds for Killmonger to challenge T'challa for the throne, which means the events of Black Panther pretty much don't happen at all.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
Yeah, about that. CW Telegraphed in every possible way that signing the accords was the worst possible idea the Avengers could have made.

The guy running the program was Thunderbolt Ross, who created the Abomination and destroyed Harlem. Signing the Accords meant that the Avengers would have been a state sanctioned weapon answering only to him- it would have been a disaster.
and tony said he didnt agree with them either and isnt gonna bide by it, just like in ironman 2 when the government tried to take his armor.

But at that point in time, it was only option to keep wanda and his vigilante squad out of jail and getting deported. Captain Hothead even AGREED AND ALMOST SIGNED, before going "oh! you kept wanda trapped!!!!!! rawrrr" like no dumbass, she doesnt have a visa to roam aroumd blowing up shit. Tony was holding everything together trying to make things work

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
You not liking it is perfectly valid. I get that. But pretending that it's "toothless" with no impact on the MCU is simply incorrect. I strongly recommend that you immediately revisit BP, Ant-Man & Wasp (maybe not that one) and Infinity War. It even impacted Spider-Man Homecoming, albeit in less significant ways than Infinity War.

*edit - nevermind, looks like all the responses gave pretty thorough explanations of the significance of CW, much better than I could.

My only issue was that the build up to the Accords could have been more well handled. Ross grouping Avengers and especially Winter Soldier into proof that Heroes needed to checked due to the damage that they cause was bullshit and especially unbelievable for people that watched and paid attention to those movies.

When Ross showed collateral damage from WS, someone should have stood up and said, "no that was on you. YOU did that."

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
They were a second away from defeating Thanos. What if they had that one extra hero to make a difference when it counted?

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
What changes, man?

Man I really don't know how this changes anything. Let's say the entire Avengers team is there, ready and prepared, minus Thor and Hulk.

They're still going to Wakanda to separate the mind stone from Vision. They're still going to get wrecked by Thanos without Thor and Hulk.

What are they going to do differently when Thanos shows up?

I bet the new "What If?" show on Disney+ will tackle this, but having Doctor Strange and Vision together gives the Avengers way more leverage. If Shuri separates the mind stone from Vision then Wanda destroys it, as was originally planned. Thanos, not having the time stone (because Strange has it) is thus unable to complete the gauntlet.

They were a second away from defeating Thanos. What if they had that one extra hero to make a difference when it counted?

Damn it Wong...

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
How much consequence can you have when you have to be part of a franchise with two dozen of movies released in a few years?

Waiting to see how endgame goes but feel like it'll negate most of the consequential stuff from infinity war.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
and tony said he didnt agree with them either and isnt gonna bide by it, just like in ironman 2 when the government tried to take his armor.

But at that point in time, it was only option to keep wanda and his vigilante squad out of jail and getting deported. Captain Hothead even AGREED AND ALMOST SIGNED, before going "oh! you kept wanda trapped!!!!!! rawrrr" like no dumbass, she doesnt have a visa to roam aroumd blowing up shit. Tony was holding everything together trying to make things work

Except it wasn't- Cap's squad was able to operate and keep themselves out of prison for 2 full years without the UN or the US Government being able to do a thing about it. The only reason they were "caught" is because that squad was defeated during the airport battle.

There are three likely outcomes-

1.) Entire Squad signs the accords. Avengers now become complicit in every shady bit of business Thunderbolt Ross wants them to do.
2.) Entire Squad refuses and tells the UN to piss off. Higher profile figures like Tony simply go inactive as Iron Man (this doesn't affect War Machine who is still part of the US government) everyone else goes underground but the "Avengers" still operate as a unit off the radar- and not answerable to obvious supervillains like T. Ross.
3.) Civil War. Team can't agree, gets into a fight, half end up fugitives. "Avengers" no longer exists as a thing and is unable to stop Thanos.

Steve's route is obviously the correct one. Tony wanted choice #1 but when he couldn't get that, forced everyone into choice #3. The only benefit of everything ending up as "Civil War" is that T'Challa was delayed long enough to be able to witness what Zemo's constant obsession with vengeance did to him and give up on his mission of murdering Bucky. Without that happening he probably gets to Bucky pretty quickly and kills him.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Civil War was inconsequential......and yet was the reason for many things that happened afterwards.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, at least in BvS, Bruce genuinely wanted to fucking KILL Superman and almost succeeded.

But he didn't succeed, so this comparison is moot. Superman dies and is brought back in the very next film, then shows up at the end and renders the rest of the League obsolete.

And, of course, Cap and Tony will quickly put aside their differences in Endgame so what was the point?

Of course they will put aside their differences and work together in order to stop a villain who has killed half of all life in the universe. Do you expect them to refuse to work together and Tony to still be pissed off about it? I mean, in an ideal world maybe there would have been more intervening stories involving Cap and Tony before Infinity War, but they've got to finish the characters' arc and there's not really time to let the consequences of Civil War marinate, so it is what it is.

The consequences of Civil War mean that the team is fractured in Infinity War and because they're working in splinter groups instead of as a united front their chances of stopping Thanos are lessened. And also, by the same token you could argue that the beginning of Infinity War renders Thor Ragnarok obsolete too: Thor has just escaped his sister and rescued the Asgardians then Thanos shows up, kills half of them and destroys what's left of his friends and family.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't really know what you expect with the MCU. As enjoyable as even Infinity War was, it's not gonna mean much in the end.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Ironman wouldnt call Cap.

Not only that, the reason that Vision and Wanda were "off the radar" and Cap had to be called in the first place was because of the split. Corvus was only able to surprise attack and heavily damage Vision to begin with (which pretty much took him off the board as being viable for all of IW) because they were separated from everyone else.

Against a united Avengers Squad (Plus Strange and Wong) the black order are all either killed or stopped on Earth.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Agreed.

I never understand people thinking Civil War retconned Bucky's behavior.

They said he was a ghost story, not that he was a master ninja. In Winter Soldier alone, the first time we see him as he attacks Fury, he does so in broad daylight (mask on, but still). He sneaks into Pierce's office to talk to him and Pierce has to kill his own maid to cover up the fact he'd been there. He's introduced to us in Civil War being spotted by some regular dude while out on the street. And Zemo had to move heaven and hell just to get his hands on the one copy of the tape, which was locked up in the facility that used to house the Winter Soldier program.

Hydra was the reason Bucky was so hard for intelligence agencies to track down. Not Bucky himself lmao

Civil War's twist doesn't fundamentally change anything we know about Bucky in the MCU. I totally buy that he screwed up, had his face shown on camera, and that Hydra cleaned up the mess that followed to keep him off the grid.