• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still pumped to see this, but I spoke to a friend last night who went to a screening and was unimpressed. I generally trust her implicitly when it comes to movie stuff, so I've tempered my expectations a little bit going in.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Something about this always looked off. Not sure if it's on the strange choice of directors or what, but nothing from the trailers ever really looked compelling.

I'm sure Brie will get better material to work with in Endgame. She's a terrific actress.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I generally think Ehrlich has his head on pretty straight so that review has me worried. Coupled with the fact that the trailers inspired little confidence, and I've got a bad feeling about this one. Not that I think Marvel movies are amazing in general, but usually solid and entertaining. And they really have some big shoes to fill with the new characters.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
It in the 80s is fine. I never expected it to be up in the 90s or anything.

It's generally and overall Postive,

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MCU origin movies are more miss (Thor, Strange, Ant-Man) than hit (Iron Man, TFA) so I'm going in with pretty low expectations.

Probably aiming for a matinee before Endgame comes out, just to make sure I'm up to speed.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
A little surprised at the somewhat "mixed" (lack of a better word) reception.

I'm still watching this in 24 hours though!

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't usually watch first showings but I'm reserving a ticket for 7pm on Thursday because I'm so hyped.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I generally think Ehrlich has his head on pretty straight so that review has me worried. Coupled with the fact that the trailers inspired little confidence, and I've got a bad feeling about this one. Not that I think Marvel movies are amazing in general, but usually solid and entertaining. And they really have some big shoes to fill with the new characters.
With the exception of Black Panther, I don't think Ehrlich has liked any Marvel movie.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
MCU origin movies are more miss (Thor, Strange, Ant-Man) than hit (Iron Man, TFA) so I'm going in with pretty low expectations.

Probably aiming for a matinee before Endgame comes out, just to make sure I'm up to speed.

What's interesting about your opinion in relation to reaction to this film is that Strange is at like 90% on RottenTomatoes.

(Ant-Man is great btw.)

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care for comics Carol Danvers and have been underwhelmed by the trailers. Having said that I really like Brie Larson and the rest of the cast and hope they pull it off making me care for the character. So please don't disappoint! Two more days!

and if things go wrong they can just see it as part of Rogue's origin story ;-)

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I saw a poster for this movie at the mall over the weekend and did a triple-take when I saw the date. This one snuck up on me, can't believe it's out in a matter of days.

Got my ticket today for a 7PM Friday showing. Can't wait.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's interesting about your opinion in relation to reaction to this film is that Strange is at like 90% on RottenTomatoes.

(Ant-Man is great btw.)

Which I think shows why RT isn't always a great indicator - I don't think I've ever talked to someone who really liked Strange, but I've also never met someone who really hated it. Everyone sort of agrees that it's... fine. It's a movie. We watched it.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
I don't watch that crazy bitch. She's so frightening, she makes me need to go pee pee. How does she normally rate MCU movies?

EDIT: And it's Randolph, by the way, not Rudolph.
lol yeah I always get her name confused.

iirc shes up and down on Marvel movies, but shes been very vocal about the Brie Larson stuff so it is a surprise that she landed positive tbh

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
*brie turning to the audience, breaking the 4th wall*
"women are TRASH !"

america.jpg

"So, you're a snowflake cuck."

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Mahvel 21 is another perfectly watchable Mahvel.

Nov 20, 2017
To quote this post from Superherohype:

Critic A: Brie Larson is amazing.
Critic B: Brie Larson is bland.

Critic A: It's incredibly fun.
Critic B: It's a borefest.

Critic A: It's a step in the right direction.
Critic B: It's a step back.

oprahwhatisthetruth.gif

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Which I think shows why RT isn't always a great indicator - I don't think I've ever talked to someone who really liked Strange, but I've also never met someone who really hated it. Everyone sort of agrees that it's... fine. It's a movie. We watched it.

See, that's why I prefer RottenTomatoes over a straight average score.

It's basically a thumbs up/thumbs down "is it worth seeing? 85% of critics think it is." And then you can obviously disagree with critics when you see it.

I think Strange is really good but it's not a top tier MCU film for me. But to be honest, I usually hear a lot of praise for it from more casual fans of the films.

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

And that is what the fresh meter tells. 90% of the critics think it's not a bad movie.

I was going to check the critic numeral average, but can't find it anywhere. Has RT removed it?

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
So a 60 RT rating if it were a DCEU movie? Just kidding, hope you guys enjoy the film. The marvel formula is still kicking and fuck the alt right cunts shitting on this film and on Brie.