• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Juding by the impressions I may just watch it on Netflix or whatever Disney streaming service is later on. Seems like you already know what the movie is before you watch it, like most marvel origin movies. Unless my friends drag me to see it.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
screenshot2019-03-05aczjgi.png

I'm trying to be fair here.

But that legitimately makes it sound like the writer didn't realize it took place in the past.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Can't wait for opening night, this sounds like exactly what I want right now -

In the age of the dour superhero flick, Captain Marvel strikes a pleasing chord, at once delivering levity, gravity and spectacle.
Just as the Marvel makers wanted, I left the theater pleased to have met Carol at long last, and eager to see her again.
This is not another cheap girl-power cliché; it's an explicitly feminist apotheosis.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not surprised by the reviews but I hope the movie is better than some of these scores are indicating.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
See, that's why I prefer RottenTomatoes over a straight average score.

It's basically a thumbs up/thumbs down "is it worth seeing? 85% of critics think it is." And then you can obviously disagree with critics when you see it.

I think Strange is really good but it's not a top tier MCU film for me. But to be honest, I usually hear a lot of praise for it from more casual fans of the films.

It's definitely valuable for more "shallow" genres - which I don't necessarily mean as a perjorative. Horror movies, superhero movies, animated films. When you're hitting up the movies and don't know much going in, you can give a quick yea/nay.

But for trusted brands I don't see much value. Like, it's a Marvel movie - are they really gonna fuck it up that bad? Of course it's gonna be worth two hours of your time. I'm gonna watch them all at some point - question is whether I need to be there opening weekend or I should wait until I can rent it.

Nov 1, 2017
Sounds like it's got a bad case of Marvel Origin Story Syndrome. A competent movie doing a lot of set up for future movies and not much else.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't care about reviews. Got my ticket for Thursday evening already! For a 2D showing since I prefer 2D to 3D.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Ouch. Just watched Jeremy Jahns' review - I consider him to be pretty lenient in his reviews but he didn't think much of this movie.

I'll still go watch it - it's a Marvel movie and there's nothing else to pick this weekend.

A bit worried about his points regarding Gal Gadot being more charismatic and Captain Marvel pushing hard on the feminist angle but WW did it better. And that's one of the things I liked a lot about WW - it was subtle but effective on that point.

Oh well.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What? There's more movies made in the tone of the MCU than otherwise. This isn't some lone light in the night sky.

I'm more worried about the inevitable "With this movie, Disney™ and Marvel™ invented Feminism, unlike the previously inadequate alternatives".

Then the movie turns out to be fun schlock like the rest of the franchise, and actual feminism gets dragged in the mud as a bonus.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more worried about the inevitable "With this movie, Disney™ and Marvel™ invented Feminism, unlike the previously inadequate alternatives".

Then the movie turns out to be fun schlock like the rest of the franchise, and actual feminism gets dragged in the mud as a bonus.
Yeah it's very frustrating how every movie starring a woman now turns into a referendum on feminist film and liking it or disliking it becomes a political position online. I don't think the discourse around this movie will be Star Wars-level toxic, but I'm not looking forward to that.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The 5 negatives actually count for 6x extra because they are not written by paid shills with a leftist agenda /s

But they were written by epic gamers.

-------

Seriously speaking, I honestly don't expect much from this movie. It looks OKAY. Never really had me dying to go see it like some of the other Marvel movies.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah it's very frustrating how every movie starring a woman now turns into a referendum on feminist film and liking it or disliking it becomes a political position online. I don't think the discourse around this movie will be Star Wars-level toxic, but I'm not looking forward to that.

Then again maybe CM ends up being similar to Black Panther in that's it's fun schlock but it also has some actual gravitas and a strong significance for a certain community. But I do feel we live in an age of strong female heroines and I don't generally appreciate when people throw them all under the bus to prop up the next movie. We can't keep doing this every time a Frozen or Force Awakens or Alita or Captain Marvel comes out: at some point we need to acknowledge that strong female characters are a thing and a fact and let them soar or fall for their value just like we do with the male ones.

I think Alita does this very well because it doesn't spend a single second questioning the character because "she's just a girl, but she can kick ass!" or to prove girls can be strong too. The character is just there, the movie focuses on her story and personality, and the viewer is never invited to consider the character's gender as something she has to overcome or thinking of her as having something to prove. The movie doesn't inject any toxic idea in the viewer, even if it would later disprove it.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ouch. Just watched Jeremy Jahns' review - I consider him to be pretty lenient in his reviews but he didn't think much of this movie.

I'll still go watch it - it's a Marvel movie and there's nothing else to pick this weekend.

A bit worried about his points regarding Gal Gadot being more charismatic and Captain Marvel pushing hard on the feminist angle but WW did it better. And that's one of the things I liked a lot about WW - it was subtle but effective on that point.

Oh well.
I take everything he says about DC and Marvel with a grain of salt cause he is a huge DC fanboy and has loved all the DCEU movies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they didn't introduce Carol with an amnesia arc. If they introduced her more fully formed the reviews wouldn't be all over the place re: calling her bland.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Still not sure if i'll go, trailers did nothing for me

But Brie Larson is really great and i'm curious to see her performance

Dunnow