• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
0pWv2lR.png

Set in 1995, Captain Marvel follows Carol Danvers, a former U.S. Air Force fighter pilot, as she turns into one of the galaxy's mightiest heroes and joins Starforce, an elite Kree military team, before returning home with questions about her past and identity when Earth is caught in the center of a galactic conflict between two alien worlds.

Direction by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck
Story by Nicole Perlman, Joe Shrapnel, and Anna Waterhouse
Music by Pinar Toprak (Captain Marvel Main Theme)
Produced by Kevin Feige

Cast
Brie Larson as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel - An ex-U.S. Air Force fighter pilot and member of an elite Kree military unit called Starforce whose DNA was fused with that of a Kree during an accident, imbuing her with superhuman strength, energy projection, and flight.

Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury - The future director of S.H.I.E.L.D., who at this time is a low level bureaucrat

Ben Mendelsohn as Talos - The shape-shifting leader of the Skrull invasion of Earth, who is working undercover within S.H.I.E.L.D.

Djimon Hounsou as Korath the Pursuer - A Kree mercenary and second-in-command of Starforce.

Lee Pace as Ronan the Accuser - A high-ranking Kree official.

Lashana Lynch as Maria Rambeau - One of Danvers' oldest friends and a fellow Air Force pilot who goes by the call sign "Photon".

Gemma Chan as Minn-Erva - A Kree sniper and member of Starforce.

Annette Bening as The Supreme Intelligence - An artificial intelligence that is the collective embodiment of the greatest minds of the Kree people, and the ruler of the Kree Empire.

Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson - A rookie agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. who works closely with Fury.

Jude Law as Yon-Rogg - The commander of Starforce and Danvers' mentor, who trains her to use her new powers.

Reggie, Archie, Rizzo and Gonzo as Goose - A super-affectionate tabby, is the friendliest and most adventurous cat around.

Trailer 1 | Trailer 2 | Special Look | Big Game TV Spot
Featurette | Intergalactic War Featurette | Cast Featurette

mgt9lud.png

Metacritic: 67
Rotten Tomatoes: 84% Certified Fresh

Captain Marvel Review Thread

Critics Consensus: Packed with action, humor, and visual thrills, Captain Marvel introduces the MCU's latest hero with an origin story that makes effective use of the franchise's signature formula.

"The picture is not dull, exactly, just mundane, marked by unimaginative plotting, cut-rate villains, a bland visual style and a lack of elan in every department. "
Todd McCarthy, Hollywood Reporter (Rotten)

"The first female-led movie of the MCU deserved more."
Lindsey Bahr, Associated Press (Rotten)

"[Boden and Fleck] have brought off something exciting, embracing the Marvel house style and, within that, crafting a tale with enough tricks and moods and sleight-of-hand layers to keep us honestly absorbed."
Owen Gleiberman, Variety (Fresh)

"It's a real treat to see Carol Danvers find her footing and her wings, so to speak, while at the same time Nick Fury is taking the first steps toward becoming NICK FURY. "
Richard Roeper, Chicago Sun-Times (Fresh)

"Absolutely grounds itself in the '90s, even evoking a riot grrrl-adjacent feeling, buoyed by a soundtrack that features almost exclusively rock fronted by female voices - a reminder of an era that showed so much promise for brash, loud women."
April Wolfe, TheWrap (Fresh)

"It succeeds more as an amusing fill-in-the-blanks Marvel backstory provider than a confident, stand-alone tale of a woman discovering her fierceness."
Mara Reinstein, US Weekly (Rotten)​

Last edited:

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's about damn time.

Edit: Damn, this is an anticlimactic first post. Sorry, guys. :(

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/captain-marvel-review-1192277

The characters are not dramatically introduced with any sense of interest or intrigue, the writing, dialogue and direction are pedestrian, and the visuals are sometimes, albeit not always, muddy.

Captain Marvel seems specifically pitched toward millennials, as the action is pointedly set in the 1990s; attention is called to assorted technology of the time, nearly all of which now looks not only antiquated but downright tacky, hardly worthy of any nostalgia.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
looking forward to seeing this one, even the wife wants to see it cause of the cat.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I asked on the other thread about the CM embargo, but i guess i ask here too: I'm not expecting to watch the movie, so i was wondering if anyone could sed me the spoiler of the after credit scenes (if you guys happen to know)

Thank you!

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Just saw it. It was ok. Nothing spectacular. As an origin story it was really mediocre. As an action-superhero movie, well, the same. I really digged the 90s vibe. And Goose steals it all. 3/5

Better than Wonder Woman and Black Panther at least. Origin stories are always problematic.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I asked on the other thread about the CM embargo, but i guess i ask here too: I'm not expecting to watch the movie, so i was wondering if anyone could sed me the spoiler of the after credit scenes (if you guys happen to know)

Thank you!

Just search for it on google. It'll be out there.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017

"Captain Marvel" is a fine rollout for a character who will likely be dropping by many an "Avengers" movie for years to come. But as a standalone film, it's a little undercooked,

Some spoilers in there.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it. It was ok. Nothing spectacular. As an origin story it was really mediocre. As an action-superhero movie, well, the same. I really digged the 90s vibe. And Goose steals it all. 3/5

Better than Wonder Woman and Black Panther at least. Origin stories are always problematic.
Seems to be the consensus, good not great

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Yeah I'm thinking this is going to be a lower scoring MCU movie, its sounding worryingly divisive in reviews..

HotTakeCakes

Alt account
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Reading
I haven't been this less interested in an MCU movie since maybe Thor 2? I enjoyed that though.

I hope the movie is a lot better than the trailers as I'm not particularly hyped for what seems to be an OP character, ala Superman / Superwoman.

Oct 25, 2017
SFX Magazine - 4 stars
https://www.gamesradar.com/captain-..._source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer_sfxtw

After a slow build-up, once Captain Marvel starts to grasp her powers and untangle her past, the film soars, delivering in terms of epic action and emotional resonance. If it doesn't quite go higher, further and faster than recent standout standalones Black Pantherand Thor: Ragnarok, it also more than lives up to the brand name that it wears with pride.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So it's looking like high 8s early on? Sort of what I expected, I don't think the MCU is at their best with origin stories. Got my ticket for Thursday night, glad to hear its going to be a fun ride.