• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I saw it yesterday and I really enjoyed it. Thought it was fun, good comedy, good action and good effects. Will definitely see it again.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
It was alright. I agree with the people saying Brie seemed bored in some scenes. I'm guessing it has more to do with the directing than the actor, but there was a blandness and stiffness to some of her line readings. I feel like I still don't have much of a handle on who she is as a character, personality-wise. I'm definitely interested to see how she's handled in Endgame.

I'd put this in the lower mid tier of Marvel movies. Enjoyable, but I doubt I'll return to it.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I'm curious because I don't see the "bored" thing at all in the movie.

I see someone who lost her memory and can't remember who she is. Vers lets Carol come through a few times in the beginning half of the movie (especially with Fury around), but I keep hearing "Brie looks bored/emotionless" when her character was trained on being emotionless and is struggling with being emotionless for most of the film. Like how many times do we see/hear Yon-Rogg telling her to suppress her emotions?

Am I wrong here?

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I see someone who lost her memory and can't remember who she is. Vers lets Carol come through a few times in the beginning half of the movie (especially with Fury around), but I keep hearing "Brie looks bored/emotionless" when her character was trained on being emotionless and is struggling with being emotionless for most of the film. Like how many times do we see/hear Yon-Rogg telling her to suppress her emotions?

Am I wrong here?
You are 100% right. Thats exactly how i saw it too. Not sure why people dont get it.

She is a space soldier.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I volunteered teaching patent law over the weekend for middle school girls in stem and most of the girls had already seen it and loved it. It was really great hearing their favorite parts and what they think will happen in Endgame. They knew their shit one of the other volunteers was like oh it's the first female superhero movie and one girl was like marvel you are forgetting wonderwoman.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
You are 100% right. Thats exactly how i saw it too. Not sure why people dont get it.

She is a space soldier.
The only way you can come to the conclusion she seemed "bored" is if you caught only the first two minutes where she wakes up from her dream and gazes contemplatively out of the window and then were sedated for the rest of the movie.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017

Am I wrong here?

The problem for me was that even when she was showing emotion, she often came off stiff.

I can't remember the exact scene, but there was a moment where she was yelling about how she can't remember something and it was just a bad, stilted line reading

There's other times where she's quite charming and subtle, but it felt very inconsistent to me and not in a intentional way.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Marvel made Danver's a worth while character. I know you have to be dead 10 years for sainthood, but Feige should get it now

I never thought we would see this day

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

Am I wrong here?
I just realized this entire line of criticism is "Brie Larson's character should really smile more."

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I think this movie sets up really well for a Winter Soldier type follow up in a few years. They were able to successfully establish Carol and make her entertaining and now they can roll on from Endgame to hopefully build more on the interim between this film and Endgame.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Just got back from a screening. I THOUGHT it was pretty great. Goose the cat steals the show for sure. Ben Mendilson as Talos was great. It is true that some of Brie larson's lines and scenes come off weird. Like her delivery through out the movie is just off. Even if it's intentional with the whole loss of memory. But by the end of the film it really just shows you how fun carol is once she is herself I guess you could say. I hope it get's developed more, and she can just be as quips as peter parker.

Over all solid Marvel film 8/10. Better than Guardians 2 and the GotG drops are tremendous throughout the film and show a lot of the backstory of why Kree are kind of hated by the time we meet quill.

Also wish there was more coulson. He's not in it as much as I'd liked. But maybe if they do another movie that goes back in fourth between the 90's and early 2000's I would be down for that.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Just got out. Thought it was alright, probably midish range Marvel. First twenty minutes were clunky, Goose was good but as an owner of a big beautiful ginger boy myself it was really obvious when he was CGI.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it. She was nowhere near as dull. character than was made out in the commercials. There was a nuance not expressed there. She was still one or the weaker overall character developments. But I was pleasantly surprised. Still hate the Mohawk.

Outside that they skillfully handled empowering women without the trite need to walk all over men. It just felt good as an empowerment piece for women. Without the ever increasing need it seems like to Lord it over the audience.

Goose was especially emotionally charged for me because I had to put my little orange tabby buddy to sleep on wednesday. 16 damn good years and it was a really hard decision.

Rondre Tibet

Feb 13, 2018
Where does Carol rank in terms of power compared to other Avengers/GOTG.

Is she

Thor/Doc Strange range

Scarlet Witch/Vision/Hulk range

Or

Iron Man/WarMachine/Drax/Groot

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Marvel made Danver's a worth while character. I know you have to be dead 10 years for sainthood, but Feige should get it now
Amen!

I cannot stand comic Carol and think the only good thing she ever did was power up Rogue.

The unthinkable has happened: I love MCU Carol!
Who knew she could be interesting? Charming? Funny?

I don't know what to think any more

Last edited:

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
Hey this movie was pretty good. Every time a marvel movie comes out I always hope they do cool things with its music. So it was nice to hear their space synths and background music enhance the mood.

I was actually really surprised with the way the movie went. I dont have a whole lot of understanding of the Kree and Skrull story so the last half of the movie actually kept me interested.

I really love captain Marvel's character. She's a fighter, and just has so much spirit. Much like captain America actually.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I thought it was pretty good. I was personally disappointed that it never showed her extend her powers beyond what it already showed in trailers. For the "strongest Avenger" and "Thanos is fucked" stuff hyping up her character, I was expecting her to
engulf one of Ronan's starships in a planet-sized Kamehameha, but it basically blueballed the audience in that scene and then again versus Jude Law.

Hopefully she does something crazy in Endgame now that they've fully played the "restraint" card.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just got back from seeing it.

It was pretty good. Not great, but coming from Ant Man and the Wasp I'd be hard pressed to say it's near the bottom in terms of MCU films.

Captain Marvel and Nick Fury were definitely the best parts of it; I felt that the first half when they played off each-other in a 'buddy cop' movie fashion was generally better than the 'generic movie climax' third act. By that halfway point Fury kinda just fades into the background to make way for other stories, and the same goes for the two other major side characters as well. It felt that they were there mostly to play a role and then move on instead of be fully-fledged characters in their own right.
I think the 'worst' part about the film was its villain (much like a lot of other MCU films). Maybe it's just me but I figured out that he was going to be the 'twist bad guy' from the very first scene he was in (you don't have someone telling your likeable hero 'don't feel emotions it's bad for you,' if you want to make that person likeable, nor do you give them the kind of direction Jude Law had), so him being a 'twist bad guy' meant that he couldn't get the same character development and motivation that villains such as Hela and Thanos had. He was kinda just... there.
I also thought that some of the jokes fell flat. Not because they were bad jokes but because it felt that they didn't let them just be jokes. The 'loading' joke was a good example; everyone in the cinema got it, they didn't need to have the exchange "Uh... what's happening?" "It's loading," with Carol looking dumbstruck for it to get a laugh.

As for it being a tie-in to Endgame. I still have some worry that Captain Marvel will be a 'deux ex machina' but, having thought about it, it's highly unlikely that the Russo brothers are going to ignore the other characters in such a way that they don't get their deserved 'heroic' moments; it's very clear that the film is being set up the 'last hurrah' of the OG Avengers and it simply wouldn't make sense if it turned into a Captain Marvel sequel instead. Like with Doctor Strange and Infinity War I'm interested to see what she does in End-Game but I'm a lot more interested to see what she'll do in the inevitable sequels.
Also, I've got no idea what the people saying "but Thor was a deux ex machina" have been watching all along. I'm not one for arguments that boil down to 'that opinion is factually untrue' but that is literally the case; it just seems like a thinly veiled way to make the concern seem 'sexist' when it's really, really not.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just seen it and enjoyed the hell out of it. It might not be the best Marvel movie made but it's still really good, great to see Fury and Coulson again. The cast were solid and it's another fun Marvel movie, really entertaining.

Great soundtrack too, it was like reliving the 90's again lol good times.

Also that ending was awesome, seeing her unleash her full power and kick serious ass, made my mind explode with what she might do in Endgame. The Avengers just gained a shit ton of power.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly really liked it. Just got back from seeing it. It was a real thrill ride which is all I wanted it to be and the finale was very satisfying.
The second half is much better than the first half lmao the first half is kinda clumsy and slow. I think it's because I don't really like marvel's "space worlds" aesthetic for the most part. The movies are really just much better when they're on earth
Also i loved how at the end it felt like carol was just activating a bunch of cheat codes
she was like fuck it ok, let me turn on infinite mana
okay now we turn on max damage
okay now we turn on no clip

Really my biggest gripe was that the supporting cast was just kind of weak. It felt like Fury and Danvers team up and do some stuff I guess. The stakes didn't really get built up until the end but it all felt very cobbled together.

Oct 29, 2017
I also thought that some of the jokes fell flat. Not because they were bad jokes but because it felt that they didn't let them just be jokes. The 'loading' joke was a good example; everyone in the cinema got it, they didn't need to have the exchange "Uh... what's happening?" "It's loading," with Carol looking dumbstruck for it to get a laugh.
Different audiences, I guess, because the moment the screen appeared my audience reacted a lot.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it yesterday, joining the chorus of "it's okay!" It's around that middle tier of MCU movies for me, sharing space with Dr. Strange, Iron Man 2, First Avenger, etc. Maybe a bit better than those but not the top tier (Winter Soldier is my personal fave). I did like Carol as a character, there were moments that are funnier and more emotional than most. The 90s stuff was fun, and I was never bored. A couple things were way too predictable, but not enough to check out of the movie.

It has some clunky aspects but no more or less so that the typical MCU offering - but I'm of two minds about that. On one hand, I think CM has an unreasonable bar, I think there's a feeling the first female-led Marvel movie can't just be good it has to be AMAZING, which feels unfair. On the other hand, I think most Marvel movies the past few years have been a little too by the numbers and almost all of them could be a lot better.

I am excited to see her in Endgame.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Where does Carol rank in terms of power compared to other Avengers/GOTG.

Is she

Thor/Doc Strange range

Scarlet Witch/Vision/Hulk range

Or

Iron Man/WarMachine/Drax/Groot
She's supposedly the strongest hero in the MCU, according to Feige.
I mean, minutes after gaining her real powers for the first time she's flying in space and destroys a mini Kree army without breaking a sweat. Later on, she travels at what seems like light speed. Considering Endgame takes place 20 years after she's probably even more powerful.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Just saw it and thought it was very good. Loved the whole mystery of discovering her past and the echoes of where things would move in the future.

Probably in my top 5 MCU movies:

Winter Soldier
Iron Man
Infinity War
Avengers
Captain Marvel

pollo

Oct 25, 2017
Probably top 3 marvel movie for me. Behind Black Panther for sure, but right there with it.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
As for it being a tie-in to Endgame. I still have some worry that Captain Marvel will be a 'deux ex machina' but, having thought about it, it's highly unlikely that the Russo brothers are going to ignore the other characters in such a way that they don't get their deserved 'heroic' moments; it's very clear that the film is being set up the 'last hurrah' of the OG Avengers and it simply wouldn't make sense if it turned into a Captain Marvel sequel instead. Like with Doctor Strange and Infinity War I'm interested to see what she does in End-Game but I'm a lot more interested to see what she'll do in the inevitable sequels.
Remember when people thought Infinity Wars Part 1 was going to be "Black Panther part 2"? I loved Captain Marvel. Hell, my MOM loved Captain Marvel. But the film series is "The Avengers", and especially if it's the last hurrah of some of those actors, it's going to focus on The Avengers. (Even if Carol/CM is technically the OG Avenger.)

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Man the score is great. Listening to it right now and I'm getting Mass Effect vibes. Good stuff.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Remember when people thought Infinity Wars Part 1 was going to be "Black Panther part 2"? I loved Captain Marvel. Hell, my MOM loved Captain Marvel. But the film series is "The Avengers", and especially if it's the last hurrah of some of those actors, it's going to focus on The Avengers. (Even if Carol/CM is technically the OG Avenger.)

I don't remember that and I wasn't even 'in' to the MCU at that point (I only caught Black Panther literally a few days before it went out of cinemas) so I don't know why you're trying to point out some hypocrisy on my part.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't remember that and I wasn't even 'in' to the MCU at that point (I only caught Black Panther literally a few days before it went out of cinemas) so I don't know why you're trying to point out some hypocrisy on my part.
Pretty sure 'absolutbro' didnt attack you. He just pointed out that people had the same fear before infinity war. That black panther will be the focus of infinity war. The same as people now think that captain marvel will be the focus of endgame. Thats not gonna happen.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I liked it quite a bit. I would say it is equivalent to guardians 2 and doctor strange. Way better than black panther.

The action services the plot and no armored rhinos lol

There was a lot more space stuff than I thought there would be. Sort of signals the direction of the movies after endgame

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I quite liked it a lot.

In particular it may be because she's done a lot of comedy films in the past, but Bries expressions are cartoony enough to make the character really likeable and affably dorky.

Rondre Tibet

Feb 13, 2018
She's supposedly the strongest hero in the MCU, according to Feige.
I mean, minutes after gaining her real powers for the first time she's flying in space and destroys a mini Kree army without breaking a sweat. Later on, she travels at what seems like light speed. Considering Endgame takes place 20 years after she's probably even more powerful.

I dont think she is more powerful than Thor with the axe or Doc Strange. Maybe Doc Strange