• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

daft_cat

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious because I don't see the "bored" thing at all in the movie.

I see someone who lost her memory and can't remember who she is. Vers lets Carol come through a few times in the beginning half of the movie (especially with Fury around), but I keep hearing "Brie looks bored/emotionless" when her character was trained on being emotionless and is struggling with being emotionless for most of the film. Like how many times do we see/hear Yon-Rogg telling her to suppress her emotions?

Am I wrong here?

Speaking of this, it's odd to me that Yon-Rogg...

...questions Danver's ability to suppress her emotions in their final confrontation as if this is an issue we've seen her struggle with. There's really no rage, anger or fear to speak of in Danver's characterization that would suggest a lack of control. Other than their first training session where Yon-Rogg literally tells her she needs to master her emotions, it's not a trait that stuck out about her character at all, nor did we ever witness a lack of control on screen - but maybe it's just Larson's performance, which is very stoic and reserved.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Saw it a second time. It is by far my favourite MCU movie.

I really like Brie's performance in this movie.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think she is more powerful than Thor with the axe or Doc Strange. Maybe Doc Strange

I mean the way I see it

if her powers derive from the tesseract then she's probably just below Thanos with the power stone who was able to whip hulk. Thor then went and got the axe before he was confident to fight Thanos so probably Thor with Axe > Carol > Hulk. Dr strange is too different to compare

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This video sums up some of the film's big problems. (Some Spoilers, as it is mentioned in the video itself)

I have a hard time taking videos like this seriously. Don't get me wrong, the film has problems.

But when you label your discussion of it as "Captain Marvel DOES NOT WORK," it comes off as clickbait.

Though maybe it's just a one-off thing and that YouTube channel doesn't usually do clickba--

(A satirical series, apparently. Of course, the point of the title and thumbnail is to get attention, to "trigger" people into watching it.)

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017

...questions Danver's ability to suppress her emotions in their final confrontation as if this is an issue we've seen her struggle with. There's really no rage, anger or fear to speak of in Danver's characterization that would suggest a lack of control. Other than their first training session where Yon-Rogg literally tells her she needs to master her emotions, it's not a trait that stuck out about her character at all, nor did we ever witness a lack of control on screen - but maybe it's just Larson's performance, which is very stoic and reserved.
He's
full of shit. He's gaslighting her and trying make her think there's something he can teach her, when really it's the inhibitor implant that's keeping her from being "the best version of herself she can be". Hell at that point he's practically ranting at her until she calmly blasts him into a cliff side.

daft_cat

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's
full of shit. He's gaslighting her and trying make her think there's something he can teach her, when really it's the inhibitor implant that's keeping her from being "the best version of herself she can be". Hell at that point he's practically ranting at her until she calmly blasts him into a cliff side.

I guess that's true, yeah.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
This video sums up some of the film's big problems. (Some Spoilers, as it is mentioned in the video itself)

I more or less agree with what was said about Carol's characterization and Brie's delivery. I can't really decide on one viewing if it was more of a script issue than a direction/performance issue, but fortunately End Game is right around the corner so I'll get to see how she interacts with everyone else in a different film and it should be much clearer either way why she felt flat to me in CM.

Nov 30, 2017
I just realized this entire line of criticism is "Brie Larson's character should really smile more."

No the criticisms I keep hearing about her personality is the people don't like these heroes to be like Cap. They want them all to be like Tony Stark or Thor in Ragnarok. Quip releasing machines. They want all the heroes to basically be the same type of personality.

Which is mind boggling to me. Why would you want to see the same character just different dress every movie? T'Challa got the same criticism.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I more or less agree with what was said about Carol's characterization and Brie's delivery. I can't really decide on one viewing if it was more of a script issue than a direction/performance issue, but fortunately End Game is right around the corner so I'll get to see how she interacts with everyone else in a different film and it should be much clearer either way why she felt flat to me in CM.

Yes, interacting with other, more important characters can be very interesting, and it must be where it will be possible to see if Brie Larson will be in the character or not. Especially when it comes to the Russo Brothers, who almost always get good performances from their actors. Taking the Black Panther as an example, I like him way more in Civil War/Infinity War than in his own movie.

dude44

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Very glad that the impression I got from the trailers was totally wrong.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember that and I wasn't even 'in' to the MCU at that point (I only caught Black Panther literally a few days before it went out of cinemas) so I don't know why you're trying to point out some hypocrisy on my part.
I'm sorry my post came across that way, but I was actually agreeing with you. I was trying to echo your "End Game won't just be Cpt. Marvel and friends" sentiment by drawing a parallel to the people that thought End Game was going to be "Black Panther and friends". (since IW came out right after BP the same way End Game is coming out right after CM)

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the movie and it lived up to my expectations. Can't wait to see what happens when she meets Thanos next month :)

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Movie was pretty rad. I hope Marvel goes full cosmic for the next phase. Love all the crazy space shit.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it, I liked Carol/Brie Larson way more than I was expecting.

Gotta concur with some other people though, I think it could have been much better under a different director - JJ Abrams has obviously been busy but he feels more suited to this one than any other MCU movie so far. Some things were just weird, like no one on the subway or at the subway station talking. Way too much time spent standing around and talking in the middle. Something was lacking.

I think she'll be much better in Endgame with the Russos.

Unfortunately for me it doesn't rank among the greats.

1. Civil War
  2. Infinity War
  3. Thor: Ragnarok
  4. Black Panther
  5. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy
  8. Iron Man
  9. The Winter Soldier
  10. The Avengers
  11. Doctor Strange
  12. Thor
  13. Age of Ultron
  14. Captain Marvel
  15. Captain America: The First Avenger
  16. Iron Man 2
  17. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  18. Thor: The Dark World
  19. Ant-Man
  20. Iron Man 3

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So her bound hands in the beginning were definitely a Sami's reference, right? Especially when she was charging her hand, it looked like the arm canon.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that, especially since she wants to play Samus in a Metroid film. lol. I love that little bit.

I saw the movie with my job on Friday, and I really liked it. It felt very simple and straight forward, a call back to Phase One movies in tone and feel, and I really liked the Skrulls and how they were portrayed. I'm very interested to see how that plays out in future MCU movies.

The de-aging tech is very, very good now. A nice mix of makeup and computer alterations to make them look much younger than they are.

I loved Brie as Carol, and thought she was great in the movie. The writing was a little weak in some parts, and strong in others. The humor was solid, even if all of it didn't land with me thanks to the trailer overusing a few of them. The soundtrack was solid too. It isn't the strongest of the phase 3 movies, but not every movie has to be the GOAT. Just being a fun, entertaining movie is what I hoped for, and it was! I can't wait to see her in Endgame. The beginning of the movie was the weakest part in that it felt a little rushed and disjointed at times, it all comes together once she gets to Earth. The Rambeaus are great, and I hope we see them again too. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but Monica is going to be much older now that we're in 2019...

I have very few complaints, but one of them is that I wish we had a stronger director. The two for this one felt very standard action movie director. I'd love to see Captain Marvel 2 helmed by a director/directors with a stronger vision. Ryan Coogler, James Gunn, Taika Waititi are really strong directors with a distinct style to their films, and I feel like CM would have benefited from a similar style. Shame Patty Jenkins is with DC. She killed it with Wonder Woman, and she probably would have killed it with CM. Even so, the directors were still solid.

Such a good time. Since my theater was all coworkers, with a few other folks, I had a blast. I need to see it again with a general audience though. That should be a lot of fun too.

Deleted member 5519

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Gotta concur with some other people though, I think it could have been much better under a different director - JJ Abrams has obviously been busy but he feels more suited to this one than any other MCU movie so far. Some things were just weird, like no one on the subway or at the subway station talking. Way too much time spent standing around and talking in the middle. Something was lacking.

1. Civil War
  2. Infinity War
  4. Black Panther
  8. Iron Man
  9. The Winter Soldier
  10. The Avengers
  11. Doctor Strange
  12. Thor
  13. Age of Ultron
  14. Captain Marvel
  16. Iron Man 2
  17. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  19. Ant-Man
  20. Iron Man 3

I see no "The Incredible Hulk" in this list. Sorry, but...it counts!

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast

1. Civil War
  2. Infinity War
  4. Black Panther
  8. Iron Man
  9. The Winter Soldier
  10. The Avengers
  11. Doctor Strange
  12. Thor
  13. Age of Ultron
  14. Captain Marvel
  16. Iron Man 2
  17. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  19. Ant-Man
  20. Iron Man 3
i would put it somewhere in the middle too. Nothing offensive, nothing spectacular. It was a mid range Phase 1 type movie

Hopefully the russo's fix her up when they get the reigns on character cause there is potential

BLACK LAC

Nov 5, 2017
I'm not a fan of amnesia plots to begin with and the movie did nothing to change that. All things considered it was just alright imo.

1. Avengers: Infinity War
2. Captain America: Civil War
3. Black Panther
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
7. Thor: Ragnarok
8. Spider-man: Homecoming
7. The Avengers
9. Guardians of the Galaxy
10. Captain America: The First Avenger
11. Doctor Strange
12. Ant-Man
13. Iron Man 3
14. Iron Man 1
15. Avengers: Age of Ultron
16. Thor
----POWER GAP----
17. Captain Marvel
18. Iron Man 2
19. Ant-Man and the Wasp
20. The Incredible Hulk
21. Thor: The Dark World

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was a little underwhelmed with how Fury lost his eye though... I was expecting it to be something bigger than a random flerkin attack after he was being nice to it.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I was a little underwhelmed with how Fury lost his eye though... I was expecting it to be something bigger than a random flerkin attack after he was being nice to it.
I think the reveal fits well with Fury's character. He uses half truths to push his agenda. Did it with Coulson's death to get the Avengers to Avenge. Did it when he apparently lied to the team about his first contact with aliens. The fact that everyone thinks some huge event that he refuses to talk about is why he has a badass eye patch adds to his persona which benefits him.

I do think the scene itself could have been done better though. His reaction was pretty boring.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the reveal fits well with Fury's character. He uses half truths to push his agenda. Did it with Coulson's death to get the Avengers to Avenge. Did it when he apparently lied to the team about his first contact with aliens. The fact that everyone thinks some huge event that he refuses to talk about is why he has a badass eye patch adds to his persona which benefits him.

I do think the scene itself could have been done better though. His reaction was pretty boring.

Tony in the first Avengers: "He's a spy. Captain, he's the spy. His secrets have secrets."

But people don't want to listen...

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I see no "The Incredible Hulk" in this list. Sorry, but...it counts!
It's still the only MCU movie I haven't seen

I love the series, but without Mark Ruffalo it just doesn't seem worthwhile for me to watch.

As soon as I saw the cat in the trailer I knew

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
I liked the movie except for the Cat/Fury's eye revelation and the scene when Maria tells her how great she is. It would have been better if she had said you were great because of some flight related "background info". Both of those are so minor I just think the movie was a phase 1 film but that isn't a bad thing.

I hope Monica can become photon, I loved the Skrull reveal, which makes a lot of sense based on what we knew of the MCU's Kree

It was a fun movie too, she's definitely MCU's Superman based on power.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
I enjoyed this a lot, but didn't love it.

I wish it weren't so in the face with some of the 90's stuff (the use of "Just a Girl" was bad, IMO).

Additionally, I kind of didn't like the structure, in that by burying so much of her backstory in flashback, we don't get a good sense of who she is until pretty late in the film. I think I would have preferred a more standard structure like Captain America so we could see why we should care about her before she gets her powers. I'm completely willing to admit I haven't thought through all of the ramifications of this change, I'm just saying I wish we had more backstory early on.

Having said that, I like a lot of the moments in the film, and I'm really looking forward to her integration into the universe, I think she could be really great if given more to play off of.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of amnesia plots to begin with and the movie did nothing to change that. All things considered it was just alright imo.

1. Avengers: Infinity War
2. Captain America: Civil War
3. Black Panther
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
7. Thor: Ragnarok
8. Spider-man: Homecoming
7. The Avengers
9. Guardians of the Galaxy
10. Captain America: The First Avenger
11. Doctor Strange
12. Ant-Man
13. Iron Man 3
14. Iron Man 1
15. Avengers: Age of Ultron
16. Thor
----POWER GAP----
17. Captain Marvel
18. Iron Man 2
19. Ant-Man and the Wasp
20. The Incredible Hulk
21. Thor: The Dark World
Your list is quite close to mine, except mine has The First Avenger lower. Nice to see more people who preferred GOTG2 to GOTG.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. manbabies who review bombed this without seeing the movie are pathetic. The movie's success or critical reception are literally irrelevant to brigading a movie because you are following a group of peers into a self fulfilling prophecy.

2. I can't wait to take my daughter to see it on Saturday. She's going to flip.

3. Not my favorite marvel film by a long shot. Actually one of my least favorite and I was really hyped for it. It had loads of mechanical and structural and pacing and tonal issues and some rough dialog. The final quarter was way better than the preceding movie and Brie did fine with some frequently wonky material.

4. The 90s continues to be the least charismatic or interesting decade of the twentieth century and the anachronistic stuff was pretty weak. Slow internet? Ok.

This is a slayven question but is the Kree/Skrull thing a twist? Or were all the comic fans totally aware the whole way through? The Jude Law heel turn was so thoroughly telegraphed and ruined by the trailers that I had assumed THAT was a feint. I kept waiting for him to be revealed as a good guy. Also agent coulson's behavior was objectively insane. The fact that Samuel then immediately exposited a really unconvincing explanation just made it weirder ...

6. Mendelson was great but his voice and some of the other skrulls were really impacted nasally by the prosthetics.

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a solid movie, could it have been better; sure. It was better than what I thought it was going to be.

The Skrulls stole the show, and the de-aging technique Marvel has is on point, totally believable.

Glad this made tons of money, if only to piss off the trolls.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Brie really does have the best shit eating smirk I have ever seen on film. Whatever flaws the film itself has, Larson does a great job with the role of Captain Marvel and I am eager to see more.

I can't wait for the next big Avengers movie after End Game with a new team dynamic. Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, Wasp, Vision, and Wanda. If we could get Valkyrie without Thor then I would love to have her too. Now there is a damn fine line-up.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
Then Bucky would've continued being a fugitive or worse, back being a brainwashed assassin.
who cares about small time fugitives when half the universe is dead

if they sign and the team stays together, all of them together defend the 2 stones and have a much easier task fending thanos off in wakanda. Thor comes back with the stormbreaker and chops thanos up, and since he doesn't have all the stones yet, can't snap the finger. problem solved

but nope, team cap indirectly dusted half the universe, hope you guys are happy

#TeamIronman

Howdyjacker

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Just saw it and would rate it a solid 7 low 8 simply for the slow start introducing the characters and story.

They made Carol Danvers kick butt which is all I wanted and needed to see.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't go in with the highest expectations but ended up loving it. So much more there than a lot of the reception let on.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Saw the movie for a second time on Saturday and the odd pacing issues do play better in a second viewing. Not really sure how they could have restructured to make it flow better and still do everything they had to accomplish, though.

As a woman, having a man (especially a coworker) ranting about how you're being too emotional and that's why they're more successful than you while you remain perfectly calm is not actually as uncommon as one might think. In the film the Kree gaslight her into thinking that she is weak and should not have any authority or real bodily autonomy because she taps too much into her emotions, so she needs the leadership's guidance and control. But over time she learns that those emotions -- like her love for the people they stole her away from -- are part of what ground her and make her more powerful, which is why they were trying to suppress them in the first place. She realizes, as she says, that she has nothing to prove. They have nothing to teach her.

Felt like it was pretty clearly part of the message and you're supposed to know that it's bullshit by the end.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Fun movie, loved the duo. My biggest nitpick would be that the "final fights" felt weak, but to be fair I thought the same for Infinity War.. after Thor Ragnarok bridge scene, those scenes feel weak in comparison.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
We enjoyed it and my daughter cheered when "Captain Marvel will return" because I guess she didn't know.

I think this movie will end up a lot like Twilight Princess on rewatches, where you laregely don't notice the pacing the first time through because it's new and exciting but the next time it feels like a slog. Maybe not though.

The final action set piece

where she blows up the Kree ships felt so unnecessary. Like the whole thing was a last minute addition because they wanted a big blow everything up finale. At least there wasn't a blue sky beam? Like everything with Ronan and Carol stopping the bombs and blowing them up could have just not been in the movie. Unless Captain Marvel 2 is also a prequel and going to have something to do with Ronan?

All the characters were great mostly (loved Carol, Fury, Talos, and the Supreme Intelligence) and mostly Yon-Rogg except his motivations seemed really under-developed. Coulson seemed really off and stiff the whole time too for some reason.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
This is probably one of the weaker phase 3 marvel movies for me. It's pretty average and by the numbers and unlike Aquaman, there's no visual spectacle or cool action scenes to draw your attention away from the bland script and dialogue.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I mean the way I see it

if her powers derive from the tesseract then she's probably just below Thanos with the power stone who was able to whip hulk. Thor then went and got the axe before he was confident to fight Thanos so probably Thor with Axe > Carol > Hulk. Dr strange is too different to compare
Thanos didn't use the power stone when fighting Hulk.