• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
If we are talking raw destructive power?

Carol > Thor > Doctor Strange

If we are talking about overall ability?

Doctor Strange > Thor = Carol

Doctor Strange can disappear Thor or Carol into another dimension or bind them in such a way they can't get out, but if it came down to it I think Carol can outperform either of them in terms of raw destructive power.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
who cares about small time fugitives when half the universe is dead

if they sign and the team stays together, all of them together defend the 2 stones and have a much easier task fending thanos off in wakanda. Thor comes back with the stormbreaker and chops thanos up, and since he doesn't have all the stones yet, can't snap the finger. problem solved

but nope, team cap indirectly dusted half the universe, hope you guys are happy

#TeamIronman
This is like telling someone who buys a home 2 years before an earthquake destroys it "Way to go, idiot!"

Thanos is at no point part of the decision-making process during the accords. If Tony was always right, then Ultron wouldn't have gone on a rampage and killed a bunch of people.

Quill should have murdered Gamora. Gamora should have 'gone right'. Thor should have gone for the head. Tony should have made more nanomachines. Strange should have turned Thanos into butterflies. They should have called Ant-Man and sent him through Thanos' ear and blown up his skull from the inside. See how endlessly pointless this line of critique is?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Your list is quite close to mine, except mine has The First Avenger lower. Nice to see more people who preferred GOTG2 to GOTG.
Don't know why. The third act in gotg2 felt like I was watching someone play a really shitty video game. With the stupid face Kurt Russell turns into and the over the top "your ruining my plan" "your starting to piss me off" bullshit.

Really brings it down.

We saw Captain Marvel yesterday and really liked it.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of this, it's odd to me that Yon-Rogg...

...questions Danver's ability to suppress her emotions in their final confrontation as if this is an issue we've seen her struggle with. There's really no rage, anger or fear to speak of in Danver's characterization that would suggest a lack of control. Other than their first training session where Yon-Rogg literally tells her she needs to master her emotions, it's not a trait that stuck out about her character at all, nor did we ever witness a lack of control on screen - but maybe it's just Larson's performance, which is very stoic and reserved.

He's just trying to goad her into fighting without her powers, so he has a chance.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget Scarlet Witch got her powers from the Mind Stone.
Which is sort of against the original point that Thanos could somehow control the powers that were derived from given stones by possession of said stones; Mind was the last stone he acquired.

There are other reasons to doubt that the stones and the powers they had previously bestowed are so intrinsically linked, but it's not something specifically proven or disproven by the films so far.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think about it but they totally used the Binary source for her powers. Where she is a lens connected to a whitehole, so I assume the tessaract give her something similar

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally saw it today. It was worth waiting to see it with my sister. Bloody hell what was all the complaining about? It was great. I'm quite impressed. Carol isn't at all how the trailers made her seem to be and despite the story being pretty predictable I liked the little touches that made it... more.

Like my sister said immediately after it ended, it was an empowering movie. It wasn't made for the comic book fans that just want to complain that it isn't exactly like the comics, it was a movie about a woman who fought insanely hard to get where she was and no matter how many times she got knocked down, she kept getting back up.

She reminds me a lot of Captain America in a way, except she didn't need a super soldier serum to achieve anything.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Finally saw it today. It was worth waiting to see it with my sister. Bloody hell what was all the complaining about? It was great. I'm quite impressed. Carol isn't at all how the trailers made her seem to be and despite the story being pretty predictable I liked the little touches that made it... more.

Like my sister said immediately after it ended, it was an empowering movie. It wasn't made for the comic book fans that just want to complain that it isn't exactly like the comics, it was a movie about a woman who fought insanely hard to get where she was and no matter how many times she got knocked down, she kept getting back up.

She reminds me a lot of Captain America in a way, except she didn't need a super soldier serum to achieve anything.

Yup. All of my family enjoyed it. Felt like a 'family' movie in that it was about the relationships and I thought she had a great character. Self confident and a little flippant against authority from the off, and confident in her abilities. Chemistry between her and Fury was great, and it was nice with her friend and daughter too.

Maybe people were wanting more action but it's an origin story so inevitably it'll be a little slower paced.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

OK, back from the movies and errands. Wow, maybe it's the 90's nostalgia painting my opinion a little, but I loved that. A solid origin story. 4/5 stars.

Larson was energetic from the word go in this. She was complicated, ironic and dry like a typical gen-X'r in the 90's, but slips easily into being bubbly. I just do not understand the criticisms of her performance from some. She was the opposite of dull.

I loved the twist. It was enough that it surprised readers, but gentle enough to not feel forced (and besides, it fits into the MCEU as they have built it to this point perfectly).

Goose was alright. His scenes were humorous, but I don't get the adulation on social media. Maybe I'm just not a cat person.

That ending....

How the hell is Thanos going to even put up a fight? That gauntlet better still have a lot of juice left.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Funny enough, before our viewing, the Dark Phoenix trailer was shown and my girlfriend absolutely loved it and said we HAVE to see it. I just chuckled and said sure but was not expecting her to say that.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

So they took one of my favorite things about the movie and of course turned it around.

Fury kinda is emasculated by the women in this movie (based on our normal societal standards at least)
- especially once Maria joins the group -
quite a few times but he never ever takes it personally or sees it as a bad thing. He rolls with it every time. He just trusts the women he's working with to get the job done despite the fact that they're constantly showing him up. And on top of that yes, there's an entire scene dedicated to
him and Carol...doing the dishes together
. These are things that, particularly in the 90s, you wouldn't see a man doing in movies.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And on top of that yes, there's an entire scene dedicated to
. These are things that, particularly in the 90s, you wouldn't see a man doing in movies.

Is it weird that I liked that scene a lot? 'cause I liked it a lot. It was so... grounding. You basically never see stuff like that in superhero movies.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
This is a good thread on the idiotic "This movie emasculates Nick Fury" claims.

Alright I wanna talk for a second about one of the many (stupid) #CaptainMarvel⁠ ⁠ memes that Sadboys are trying to stroke their hate-boners over.

Specifically the idea that the movie is a) man-hating in general and b) emasculates Fury in particular.

So. A thread. /1

The impetus of this is a ComicsGate adjacent site called CosmicNews or some shit. I'm not interested in sending traffic their way so you can read about it over at We Hunted The Mammoth. wehuntedthemammoth.com/2019/03/10/nic… /2

A lot of it is your basic "WE NEED TO BE ANGRY" bullshit twisting things out of all sense of how they actually happened or straight-up straw-manning into a weird Ship-of-Theseus version of the movie that only exists in their heads.

Then there're the complaints about Fury. /3

The Nick Fury in Captain Marvel isn't the scarred, war-weary bad-ass we see starting in Iron Man. Which isn't surprising because hey, this is a freaking origin story. Not just for Carol Danvers but for *Nick Fury*.

I mean, the seen-it-all-done-it-all-prepared-for-it-all superspy in The Winter Soldier is cool and all but he wasn't born like that any more than Captain America was always the confident leader he becomes by Endgame. This is what we call "character growth". /5

We're seeing someone who hasn't been jaded by what he's seen and done, even after having been a spy during the Cold War. But folks want to complain that the Kree scan him and say he's "no threat" and he *gasp shock choke* WASHED DISHES. /6

But honestly, if you want to talk about Nick Fury in this movie, you really need to look into the film's DNA and look at it's ancestor: Reny Harlin's The Long Kiss Goodnight. Because (unsurprisingly) there're a LOT of parallels there. /7

(For the record, I'm saying these parallels are deliberate references, not weird-ass plagarism. Part of what makes CM fun is that it's shot, written and structured like a 90s film and you don't get much more 90s than Shane Black and Renny Harlin.) /7a

So in The Long Kiss Goodnight, you have Charlie: an amnesiac housewife who remembers her life when she washed up on shore. Turns out, Charlie seems to have some bad-ass skills she never knew about. /8

Charlie's been trying to figure out who she was, with no luck. She'd tried all the good private detectives and now she's down to the shitty ones. Specifically: Hennessy. Played by Samuel L. Jackson. /9

Thanks to a lucky break found by Hennessy's secretary, they get a clue to Charlie's real identity. So he and Charlie go on a road trip to find these missing links to her life. Then shit, as they say, hits the fan. /10

Turns out Charlie's a former assassin for a blackbag CIA program that got broken up and she was never supposed to survive. Now she's starting to get her memory back etc. etc. Like I said: deliberate parallels. Including the one between Hennessy and Fury. /11

Hennessy is a man who's seen some shit and done some shit. He's by no stretch of the imagination a soft guy who's gonna fold at the first sign of trouble. But the trouble Charlie represents is WAY the fuck above his paygrade. /12

So it is with Nick Fury. He's been behind the Iron Curtain, he's been a full-bird Colonel. But up until the moment a someone took a pot-shot with a scifi gun at a crazy lady in a rubber suit, those were all TERRESTRIAL threats. Now he's at ground zero for a space war. /13

But here's the thing: Fury is a survivor and - critically - a strategic thinker. He knows damn good and well that Carol Danvers knows more about the situation than he does and has skills and power that he can't match. NOT letting her take point would be INSANE. /14

She represents the best, greatest hope of Earth not getting blown to fuckery by aliens that nobody believed existed two days before. Helping her means making an incredibly important ally/intel source. Throwing his dick on the table would be opposite of helping. /15

And yet despite the fact that Fury is SO out of his element and weight class, dude comes out on top. He survives, which in and of itself is a damn miracle and testament to his skill as a soldier and covert agent. But he doesn't just survive. He levels the fuck up. /16

By the time the THIRD technologically superior alien threat shows up (after Thor), he's assembled a strike force capable of turning back an entire goddamn alien invasion. All because he's *already* such a bad-ass that he survived the Skrulls, Kree AND a fleurkin. /17

Yeah, the Kree scan him and the scanner declares a human male to be no threat. Diegetically, that's because Kree are arrogant dicks with superior tech, strength and endurance beyond human capacity. Script-wise, it's dramatic irony based on what we know about his future. /18

And then hey, that zero-threat human helps curb-stomp a superior alien force and come through without a scratch. The scratch came afterwards. Ba dum tish. /19

But no. Fury isn't emasculated by SHIT in this movie. This entire movie shows that he's a calculating strategic genius and certified bad-ass who's able to follow a near-GOD into battle and come out on top. That's not emasculation, that's ascending to Bad-Ass Normal. /20

So by the time Fury is playing Car-Fu with Hydra and taking on The Winter Soldier solo? That's all because of his taking multiple levels in Bad-Ass during his adventure with Carol Danvers. He was smart enough to play support when it was called for and it paid off in spades. /21

The fact that the goddamn *universe* is going to survive Thanos is directly due to the fact that Fury befriended and helped Carol Danvers when he really didn't need to. Saying "he's emasculated" because he washed some dishes just betrays an utter lack of understanding. /22

In short: dudes had to work to miss literally everything that was laid out in the movie in order to find some material to try to edge their hate-boners over and all they can come up with is THIS weak shit. /FIN

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Is it weird that I liked that scene a lot? 'cause I liked it a lot. It was so... grounding. You basically never see stuff like that in superhero movies.

Yeah. It's one of my fav MCU scenes already. I need a lot more of those, superheroes doing mundane things. Almost every MCU movie could use more of that.

Edit: yeah that thread above puts it way better than I could. My feelings about it are still the same but they're right, I wouldn't necessarily say Fury is emasculated in the movie. But he does take a backseat willingly to two very awesome women, and it's never portrayed as a bad thing, or as him being any lesser of a man for it.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
changed thread title per OP's request

left off the swearing because I'm too pure for that

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Speaking of this, it's odd to me that Yon-Rogg...

...questions Danver's ability to suppress her emotions in their final confrontation as if this is an issue we've seen her struggle with. There's really no rage, anger or fear to speak of in Danver's characterization that would suggest a lack of control. Other than their first training session where Yon-Rogg literally tells her she needs to master her emotions, it's not a trait that stuck out about her character at all, nor did we ever witness a lack of control on screen - but maybe it's just Larson's performance, which is very stoic and reserved.
He's literally just trying
to undermine her abilities and who she is because he doesn't actually stand a chance against her.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
People legit thought this emasculated Fury? Must be more of that man baby crowd.

Homeboy was the first human to ace a Skrull, for Christ's sake. With no powers or technical wizardry.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people still say she was stoic and reserved? Am I missing something?

The Carol Danvers I saw was strong-willed, cheeky, a bit of a thrill seeker, sarcastic on more than a couple of situations, compassionate, loving and a total badass with a great fashion sense.

Did they just watch the trailer?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

The Carol Danvers I saw was strong-willed, cheeky, a bit of a thrill seeker, sarcastic on more than a couple of situations, compassionate, loving and a total badass with a great fashion sense.

They could have watched the film 5 times over and they'd still trying to push their sad little agenda.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just back from watching it. thought it was alright nothing special. about the middle of the road for the Marvel universe movies

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I went in with the lowest expectations. There was so much negativity surrounding this movie from all sources. Ended up loving the movie. I didn't know much about Captain Marvel before this movie, but now I want more. She's my favorite hero so far, and I'm glad they made her epic.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

I really don't get this take at all. Like you said she's all of those things.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I went in with the lowest expectations. There was so much negativity surrounding this movie from all sources. Ended up loving the movie. I didn't know much about Captain Marvel before this movie, but now I want more. She's my favorite hero so far, and I'm glad they made her epic.

I need to see her and Nick reunited. It's going to be adorable.

I really don't get this take at all. Like you said she's all of those things.

Oh I forgot rebellious. She's as chaotic good as you can get, which is interesting because that's what I'd say Rogers has been since Winter Soldier.

Last edited:

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the 90's setting but they screwed it up immediately when she walks into the bar and is having the flashbacks. Can't believe for the level of 90's detail they screwed up that one very big one like that.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
29r321r3vil21.jpg

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The saving grace of the movie is Brie Larson & Samuel L. Jackson's chemistry together. They're hilarious when they're on-screen at the same time, it feels like they've been best friends for years when you watch them.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Captain Marvel is set in '95, isn't it?

It doesn't matter there where no hd widescreen lcd street fighter arcade cabinets period in the 90's. They used a modern emulated custom cab with vga/hdmi out. The original JAMMA boards wouldn't even have been able to wire up to an lcd monitor because they where CGA out only. Also, the cab is all wrong not even the correct trim.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
it was a movie about a woman who fought insanely hard to get where she was and no matter how many times she got knocked down, she kept getting back up.

i watched the movie this weekend and happened to be going through a tough time. When they played that montage of scenes, I started crying. Really needed it. I appreciate the movie a lot just for that, TBH.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We...didn't love it. Kinda pains me to say but very little of CM worked for us. My gf actually turned to me near the end and whispered "this feels like something from 10 years ago", and I couldn't disagree. It feels like a phase 1 MCU film, or a GotG that fully embraced its cheeseball nature without a hint of self-deprecating cheekiness. That's fine and all, but despite the portent of grand scale inherent to this character, the whole ordeal felt very insubstantial. It's like they conceived a Cosmic-level premise but gave it the Ant-Man treatment.

We weren't sure if it was the writing to blame or the editing or the acting, but something was definitely off. The humor beats felt wrong, like the timing was off 90% of the time. The character arc didn't hit as impactfully as I expected. There's something missing there, like an extra bit of personal motivation. Maybe they should have played up Lawson as more of a parental figure or something.

Anyway, I'll save the rest for the spoiler thread, but I'm just not feeling great about this one. I'm glad that it's been a success though. I'm sure there are many who embraced it more fully.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it yesterday, it was OK, entertaining but nothing special, I liked it more than Black Panther and Ant-Man 2 but far from my top 5 Marvel movies. As a superhero movie lead by a female character I liked Wonder Woman much more and Gal Gadot won me over, Brie Larson in this rol is kinda meh, the best part of her character in the movie was CG, not her. Every time she has to do fighting choreography I don't think she was any good, I guess she will improve with more training for future movies.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I saw it a few days ago and loved it.

Brie was excellent, Sam Jackson was awesome and Mendhelson was ace and hilarious. I loved the empowering message of it all. Yeah, so what if they made a slight mistake in showing a Street Fighter 2 cabinet (with LCD wide-screen) when it Carol is remembering her memories from 1989. It worked for the scene. The soundtrack was fantastic, I didn't have an issue with the use of I'm Just A Girl, I get that it's very on-the-nose, but sometimes it's necessary to be unsubtle to put an important message across. Was also hoping for slightly more from Ronan rather than just a couple of hologram chats. I agree with Coulson being a bit underused, especially with how great he is in Agents of Shield, I think some of that is down to the de-aging tech not working quite as seamlessly on him as on Fury.

Can't wait to see more of Captain Marvel in Endgame. She's a badass.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Phew, Red Letter really went hard on the white male thing.

So they took one of my favorite things about the movie and of course turned it around.

Fury kinda is emasculated by the women in this movie (based on our normal societal standards at least)
- especially once Maria joins the group -
quite a few times but he never ever takes it personally or sees it as a bad thing. He rolls with it every time. He just trusts the women he's working with to get the job done despite the fact that they're constantly showing him up. And on top of that yes, there's an entire scene dedicated to
I swear this is not a thing, at all.
this whole post is rubbing me the wrong way actually.

Last edited: