• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

diverit

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it today. It was ok; a 6-6.5/10 for me.

Movie started off slow which was made worse by story beats not flowing from one another. It did redeem itself in the final arc and I am looking forward to Captain Marvel's appearance in Endgame and hopefully in another or two solo outings.

bixio

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
The trailers made it look pretty lame, but I really enjoyed the movie. I agree the beginning was paced a little strangely, and there wasn't really a villain or any stakes, but it was a fun time! 7/10

Black Panther was better all around, though

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it weekend past, I felt her introduction to the universe is a little clumsy - notably Nick Fury's closing scene with a photo. It was fun though. A tweet I saw from Mike Bithell before hand was that it reminded him of watching things like Star Trek TNG on BBC2 at 6pm, and I get the atmosphere he meant.

I did find myself enjoying more of the world building than the actual tail end of the film though.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
If I was Fury I think I would have held a grudge on
the cat.
He doesn't even seem to mind losing his eye.

Firaga

Oct 29, 2017
This movie is so ... average. I usually liked all of the origin stories but this one didn't click with me at all.

The picture is not dull, exactly, just mundane, marked by unimaginative plotting, cut-rate villains, a bland visual style and a lack of elan in every department.
This review on the front page is spot on for me.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's the whole opening plus mentions all the way through.
I think Brie meant well but like they said it went a little foot in mouth.
I mean these are the same guys that said forward representation of Wonder Woman shouldn't matter because Marie Curie exists. Or that the twist in Get Out, according to their understanding, is that the family is so not racist, that they came back around to being evil.

These guys can bump up against acknowledging social problems in film, but then completely miss the fucking point. They practically pull a "some of my favorite movies are about black people." Vocally mentioning 'white dudes' sets them off for 10 minutes about an actress on a press junket. And then they get into how they would tweak the film, and it sounds so much fucking worse and like the most hackneyed bullshit.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I mean these are the same guys that said forward representation of Wonder Woman shouldn't matter because Marie Curie exists. Or that the twist in Get Out, according to their understanding, is that the family is so not racist, that they came back around to being evil.

These guys can bump up against acknowledging social problems in film, but then completely miss the fucking point. They practically pull a "some of my favorite movies are about black people." Vocally mentioning 'white dudes' sets them off for 10 minutes about an actress on a press junket. And then they get into how they would tweak the film, and it sounds so much fucking worse and like the most hackneyed bullshit.
Yeah true, I think Jay is normally better at this.
But normally they are above all this fanboy stuff unless they do it to get a reaction from them

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I think I'll start to ignore videos reviews on youtube and only watch good written video essays like the ones done by Folding Ideas and Lindsay Ellis because they're less about reacting and more about looking at films from different perspectives. I don't even watch that many but reading reviews for Captain Marvel has reminded me that I find reviews kind of pointless anyway.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017

Also the weird understanding Mike has of intersectionality where being a woman, but not a black woman, means you are not double oppressed and therefore progressives are angry. I wanted to cut myself listening to that.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Yeah true, I think Jay is normally better at this.
But normally they are above all this fanboy stuff unless they do it to get a reaction from them
I mean I was very much dreading listening to what was going to come out of this video, and I'd say my expectations were safely met in their complete inability to grasp social issues within film when they spend 10 fucking minutes ranting about Brie Larson openly calling for diverse voices. And then they insert a montage of interviewers and press who aren't white men doing press junkets because... what? To go "Prroblem solved, so what's your problem, Brie?" And then screencapping positive RT reviews from white men as some kind of counterpoint or some shit. And again, I was dreading this precisely because they have a shit history of this with discussing these topics. Jay is most certainly not better at this.

lexible

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I mean I was very much dreading listening to what was going to come out of this video, and I'd say my expectations were safely met in their complete inability to grasp social issues within film when they spend 10 fucking minutes ranting about Brie Larson openly calling for diverse voices. And then they insert a montage of interviewers and press who aren't white men doing press junkets because... what? To go "Prroblem solved, so what's your problem, Brie?" And then screencapping positive RT reviews from white men as some kind of counterpoint or some shit. And again, I was dreading this precisely because they have a shit history of this with discussing these topics. Jay is most certainly not better at this.

I was done with RLM as soon as I saw them using SJW as a perjorative unironically.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yikes. Unsubscribed.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Yeah I see your point.
I knew they were not progressive, but saw them as smarter than this was.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
It doesn't matter there where no hd widescreen lcd street fighter arcade cabinets period in the 90's. They used a modern emulated custom cab with vga/hdmi out. The original JAMMA boards wouldn't even have been able to wire up to an lcd monitor because they where CGA out only. Also, the cab is all wrong not even the correct trim.

About as close as the NIN logo on the t-shirt.

Oct 25, 2017
in that it actively goes against everything I actually really liked.

What was the last movie that did the plot twist like this? If someone went for a bathroom break at the wrong moment they'd think they walked into a different dimension, let alone movie :)

During the film I thought the role of the Skrull changing like that was interesting but it doesn't hold up the more I think of it.

The character stuff was really good and it's odd but this could have been its own cool trilogy I'd have thought.

That plot twist though, sabotages the whole thing.

Happy for those who love it the way I love my faves, but I think I'll take to spoiler threads for the most part.

As an Aussie it was great to see Mendelsohn steal his scenes. My mum never shuts up about him so the blue eyes line was hilarious.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was alright. I give it a 6/10. I enjoyed it enough. I found some parts to be off putting but overall it was fine.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I liked it, Larson-Jackson's back and forth was funny, Mendelson was slick, I kinda liked the twist but there's some bumps as well but that's for the spoiler thread.

B

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
The more I think on it, the more I really loved it. Captain Marvel as played by Brie Larson is a great addition to what was starting to become a stale universe. Her interactions with Fury were incredibly entertaining. I am ready for her to become the new face of the MCU.

As for the film itself, huge props to them for not going with the standard formulaic origin story of "the last act is a fight against a villain that has the same powers as the hero but they are evil" that has plagued almost every other MCU movie. 4.5/5, my favorite MCU movie since Iron Man 3.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think if you're comparing Wonder Woman to Captain Marvel, you have to remember they're two completely different women and represent two distinct kinds of feminism.

Diana is a princess born on an island of only women and is pretty ignorant of the patriarchy and openly defies social norms, which is fantastic. There are all these rules men have made, that they expect everyone to follow, and she just doesn't give a damn. She does what she wants to do, not what men tell her she's allowed to. The "No Man's Land" thing was a bit cheesy but it got the point across.

Carol grew up in a world where she is always being told her place, always being told "you're a girl so stick to the easy stuff". Yet she fought every step of the way to succeed in a man's world and no matter how many times it would knock her down she'd find the strength to get back up again and keep fighting. She does what she wants to do, not what men tell her she's capable of doing.

Wonder Woman's message is inspiring because we all wish we could just ignore all the rules men have placed upon us and as a result she's an example to follow, yet I'd argue Captain Marvel's message is more empowering because it's more personal - it's about succeeding despite the doubt others have in your abilities, despite the doubt they try to make you feel towards yourself.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when you're somebody's main science guy and can make planes to become spaceworthy, but you can't even decode a simple riddle.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I think if you're comparing Wonder Woman to Captain Marvel, you have to remember they're two completely different women and represent two distinct kinds of feminism.

Diana is a princess born on an island of only women and is pretty ignorant of the patriarchy and openly defies social norms, which is fantastic. There are all these rules men have made, that they expect everyone to follow, and she just doesn't give a damn. She does what she wants to do, not what men tell her she's allowed to. The "No Man's Land" thing was a bit cheesy but it got the point across.

Carol grew up in a world where she is always being told her place, always being told "you're a girl so stick to the easy stuff". Yet she fought every step of the way to succeed in a man's world and no matter how many times it would knock her down she'd find the strength to get back up again and keep fighting. She does what she wants to do, not what men tell her she's capable of doing.

Wonder Woman's message is inspiring because we all wish we could just ignore all the rules men have placed upon us and as a result she's an example to follow, yet I'd argue Captain Marvel's message is more empowering because it's more personal - it's about succeeding despite the doubt others have in your abilities, despite the doubt they try to make you feel towards yourself.

The most disappointing thing about this whole conversation is that it stems from the idea that there has to be one best feminist hero movie. My wife loved both of them. Her take is that Wonder Woman was more an example of feminine power, but Carol's challenges resonated more.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Full henshin incoming?
fAfSfo.gif

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
I did notice that Fury had that Harrison Ford in Force Awakens/Blade Runner 2045 old man run. Couldn't they have gotten a stunt double for some shots? Lol

Jackson famously hates having to run in movies. On the audio commentary to Avengers Whedon recalls Jackson's request not to write any scenes for him that involve running. Alas, there was that one scene where Fury runs to the deck of the Hellicarrier to stop the jet plane from taking off. :)

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird how in the movie it presents Carol's struggle as "being too emotional" but throughout the movie she never really comes to the conclusion that she should do the opposite and still be heroic. And is super unemotional for most of the movie.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it yesterday night.

twas pretty solid. I thought most of the trailers sucked and Brie Larson seemed bored as fuck. The actual movie showed that wasn't the case. She got outshined by the "bad guy", Sam Jack, Mary, and the cat but thats more so about their own performances than anything (Jude Law was kinda all over the place tho...). Not a big fan of the shaky cam action near the start but it eventually held its own. Some iffy CG here and there tho.. The twist, on one hand did a great job of playing w/ your expectations but I kinda wished it would have swerved one more time tho.

But yeah overall a damn solid entry into the mcu. Nothing groundbreaking from a movie standpoint but damn sure not the "dis is bad yo" that I had heard.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I saw it today. I went in with lower expectations because of the reviews. It ended up being a bit better than expected. The beginning and end were good, but the middle was a bit of a slog. The trippy scene in the beginning where they access her memories was fantastic. The stuff in the middle with Carol and fury bumbling around wasn't that great, but when you get to the great scene at Rambeau's house when Talos shows up it picks up again.

The most disappointing thing about the movie? Brie Larson's performance. It was a bit all over the place. She looks so disinterested at times. She's a damn good actress, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect better in the future.

Most reviews are in that 7-8 range. I'll take the high end, and give it an 8. Good, but not great.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how in the movie it presents Carol's struggle as "being too emotional" but throughout the movie she never really comes to the conclusion that she should do the opposite and still be heroic. And is super unemotional for most of the movie.

That's the point, that dude was bullshitting her the whole time. They didn't want their pet getting out of the leash, it had nothing to do with training or becoming a hero. The end is him trying the same old gimmick but this time she knows he's full of shit and doesn't entertain his dumb ass with his challenge.

Yung Kyubii

Banned
May 12, 2018
Brie is cute in the movie.

And all the issues I have with the movie will be fixed for Endgame.

Which is fight choreography, CG, and maybe some awkward dialogue.

Loved BP and CM, but it is a shame they dont have the A-team from Marvel for the CG etc.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Brie is cute in the movie.

And all the issues I have with the movie will be fixed for Endgame.

Which is fight choreography, CG, and maybe some awkward dialogue.

Loved BP and CM, but it is a shame they do have the A-team from Marvel for the CG etc.
I thought the fight choreography was pretty decent for the most part. It was the fight editing that was a problem a few times.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Before seeing the movie, I saw a review saying the fights were confusing and you couldn't tell who was who. I spent the entire movie trying to figure out which fight they were talking about because everything was very clear to me.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
That's the point, that dude was bullshitting her the whole time. They didn't want their pet getting out of the leash, it had nothing to do with training or becoming a hero. The end is him trying the same old gimmick but this time she knows he's full of shit and doesn't entertain his dumb ass with his challenge.

You know what I find weird? There is a tendency to give male character mentors to female characters credence, even when the conclusive journey of the protagonist female character is to defy the mentor's words.

Like how people keep anguishing over how TLJ devalued the legacy of Star Wars just because Luke was the one who lost hope in it, ignoring entirely that Rey, the protagonist, retained the inspiration she drew from the legends of the jedi and ended the film triumphantly celebrating them and by the end was the one who got Luke to backtrack and rediscover that spark of hope for himself. Rey's believe in the Star Wars legacy is ignored in favor of Luke's disbelief in the Star Wars Legacy, even though the seemingly angry fans want their characters to believe in it.

And same thing here, Carol's problem

was that she was too emotional was only a problem in the eyes of the Kree Mentor who was telling her this specifically to keep her disempowered and and preventing her from realizing her full potential. That's why Carol blasted him when he challenged her to a powerless one on one combat, because she realized that there is no point in playing by his rules.

It's kinda weird because it's relies on the assumption that the male mentor's words are legitimate even when they see the rest of the movie play out and discover that the world works the opposite of what the male mentor said.

Last edited:

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I know that people will trash me for this, but...

I really disliked brie in the role of captain marvel. I dont know explain why, but i passed the whole movie thinking that they should recast her

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018

He was charged with training her so that she could be controlled. Both he and the SI wanted her to be nothing but a weapon. That's why they took her memories and rewrote them to make it seem like she was one of them and make it seem like the Skrulls were her enemy.

Her story has a really interesting arc IMO.
She's the woman who through out her life has been told by others that she can't do this or that. External forces have been trying to control her and limit what she can do all her life... be it her shitty family or the people in the military. But she doesn't give into that BS, she gets back up and pushes through.

And she did it! She got to be what she wanted and found a supportive family after telling her bio fam to kick bricks. But all those memories are taken away by the Kree and followed up with 6 years of them doing the same shit she had to fight through before. They both mentally and physically controlled her powers and made it seem like a gift they gave her. That's basically what they meant by control your emotions, they wanted her to push down these traits to be what they groomed her to be. They took her memories but that drive was still there.

That's why coming to earth helped her realize where her true strength came from all this time.

That's why we begin the movie with them training the way they did, him telling her she can't use her powers and to repress the urge to do so ... yet we end with him trying that shit again only to get yeeeted into a rock.

So yeah, when they tell her to control her emotions it's basically bullshit to control her. Much like how some call women bitches for being assertive.

Last edited:

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
This was a big bowl of meh. It definitely wasn't bad like Cap 1, buuuut it feels like Thor 1 weak. Just mediocre. Flashy with no sticking power.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It has nothing to do with her being too emotional.
It has everything to do with Yon-Rogg trying to downplay her potential because he wants to maintain his position over her. Why do you think in their final confrontation, he tries baiting her into a fist fight, as if that's going to prove anything? He's scared as shit by how much tougher than him she is. He tries to imply that she's not ready, that "you'll be ready when you can knock me down as yourself!" But those abilities are a part of her, and she could flatten him.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Before seeing the movie, I saw a review saying the fights were confusing and you couldn't tell who was who. I spent the entire movie trying to figure out which fight they were talking about because everything was very clear to me.

I just wish there wasnt so much fighting in low light scenes. Honestly didn't like watching the movie in DolbyVision because of that.