• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
The only fight I hate in the movie is in the
file room.

Like I get it, you love that shot. But do you have to use it 4-5 times??

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
The only fight I hate in the movie is in the
file room.

Like I get it, you love that shot. But do you have to use it 4-5 times??
The one between Fury and Talos? I'm confused. The choreography wasn't that great, considering Samuel L Jackson is 70, but it was shot pretty decently.

The only time I really had a problem following the action was in the second half of the lab fight when the Tesseract containment gets activated and starts spinning and throwing light and shadows everywhere.

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised in the least that this trumped up 'it's too NINETIES!!' accusation is being used to blanket describe something that isn't a Perfect Marvel Movie (PMM).

Venom? Apparently not PMM enough.

Aquaman. Ditto.

Captain Marvel is as brazen as it gets, it's Marvel making a prequel with 90s trappings and it is still too archaic for its own good.

If you divest yourself from the MCU long enough and wonder how comic book films are going to hope to turn a profit in the next generation, the above productions are necessary.

One podcast I was listening to (being a gaming podcast the podcasters of course spent a signficant amount of time NOT talking games) said something along the lines of 'no more origin movies please' but I don't think that's it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I had a great time, I'd say my Fave character was Talos, we need a animated miniseries of the adventures of Talos in kree space!

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Solid entertaining origin movie, nothing amazing but fun times. You know how every MCU movie has that one moment that makes you belly laugh? This one was: "I'm so proud of you!". I'm gonna be using that line with my friends for a while.

Can't wait to see what the Russos do with Carol. Gonna be epic.

edit: also digging the soundtrack, it's got synth vibes like Thor Ragnarok for some reason.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Wife and I saw it on wednesday at the oldest operating cinema in the uk (built in 1909).

Both thoroughly enjoyed it.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed it. She's been calling our cat a "flerken" for the past 24 hours.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Ended up agreeing on pretty much everything, especially the fact that it felt like a huge step back compared to BP and Ragnarok, i wish we'd get a Winter Soldier tier movie for Carol before Endgame

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017

Ended up agreeing on pretty much everything, especially the fact that it felt like a huge step back compared to BP and Ragnarok, i wish we'd get a Winter Soldier tier movie for Carol before Endgame

I found the movie to better than Black Panther (where many of the character relationships are underbaked and the third act just completely falls apart) but fuck this attitude. It's really telling that the female led movie has to be nearly flawless to be worthwhile while every male led movie before it merely needed to be pretty good.

Although at least of the flaws in Captain Marvel, none of them were as idiotic and as borderline offensive as implying that an ancient secret conspiracy was behind every conflict in the 21st century.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would say besides Strange, this has by quite a distance the best third act of any origin film.

Perhaps even a top five final act in the MCU altogether.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
God, I loved this film SO MUCH.

I just cant believe how fun it was. I was expecting a dull origin movie, and got the opposite. I loved the snark, I loved the twists that turned preconceptions around.
I did not like the music too much ( I think there were more iconic songs to be chosen from, but I had no issues with *that* particular song either, it fit that scene very well : )

The only thing I did not like was the fact that I kept analyzing the scenes, trying to find out which will "piss people off", which is not a nice way to watch an otherwise very entertaining movie. I do not know if I can turn this over- analization of social aspects off, but I might not even want to.

This movie now comfortably sits in my top 3 favorite Marvel movies, right next to Thor 3 and Cap2.

Nov 3, 2017
My office has semi regular movie nights, so I ended up watching CM for a second time, and I don't think a rewatch has ever made me turn around on a movie as much as this one did.

On my first viewing, I thought CM was perfectly adequate but nothing exceptional. On second viewing, I fucking loved it. Not having to constantly try to figure out her backstory with the whole amnesia plot and odd plot structure of reconstructing her history allowed me to just enjoy the movie for its zany tone and character dynamics. Really can't wait to see Carol in future adventures

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Question : They never really call her Captain or Marvel in the movie, right? They did made fun of the name Mar-vell, but that's it

IPSF

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed this. Lots of 90s stuff for a grungy 90s kid like myself, decent story in its own right with a well played twist and sets up bringing Captain Marvel into the Avengers nicely. Funny as hell in parts too.

I was never sold on Brie Larson by the trailers but in the movie she was perfect. I enjoyed this so much can't wait to see her in Endgame.

Same.

Oct 28, 2017
My office has semi regular movie nights, so I ended up watching CM for a second time, and I don't think a rewatch has ever made me turn around on a movie as much as this one did.

On my first viewing, I thought CM was perfectly adequate but nothing exceptional. On second viewing, I fucking loved it. Not having to constantly try to figure out her backstory with the whole amnesia plot and odd plot structure of reconstructing her history allowed me to just enjoy the movie for its zany tone and character dynamics. Really can't wait to see Carol in future adventures

I have my suspicions it will improve on a second viewing as well. Probably gonna go again this weekend.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I unfortunately didn't like Brie's performance. I thought for sure, from the trailers it was all down to her amnesia, but it wasn't. She was still quippy one moment then angst the next constantly back and forth. I wish the switch had been flipped a bit sooner as I saw more I liked after it. I'm hoping it was direction and the script that made her not gel with me and I'll like her more under the Russos.

It wouldn't have been as big an issue I think had she not been surrounded by a stellar supporting cast through so much of it. Lashana Lynch brought so much of the heart in how little she was in, Sam Jackson had a role he clearly had a ton of fun in, and mendelson blew me fucking away despite being covered in makeup.

I'm hoping a sequel can give her powers justice.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I unfortunately didn't like Brie's performance. I thought for sure, from the trailers it was all down to her amnesia, but it wasn't. She was still quippy one moment then angst the next constantly back and forth. I wish the switch had been flipped a bit sooner as I saw more I liked after it. I'm hoping it was direction and the script that made her not gel with me and I'll like her more under the Russos.

Its almost as if .... people are not defined by one personality trait and can easily switch between being slightly angsty and being quippy. I am serious, this is not something unexpected, and a lot of people keep bringing this up, but I honestly do not understand why.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Its almost as if .... people are not defined by one personality trait and can easily switch between being slightly angsty and being quippy. I am serious, this is not something unexpected, and a lot of people keep bringing this up, but I honestly do not understand why.
Fuck, it's not like people can hide their internal angst with quips and sarcasm.

And it's not like the protagonist is literally accused of doing this in the 5th scene of the movie.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

Because I found her performance flat and wooden throughout. It's like she had a lobotomy when comparing the person she was in the the air Force flashbacks and the character we saw. Like I said, from the trailers I thought it came down to her amnesia, but they establish right from the start of the movie with her old crack of dawn habits that she remained who she was personality wise. That monotone delivery of hers didn't help the delivery of those jokes. I saw a glimpse of what I wanted more of at the end of the movie, smiles and confidence, but it just came too late for me. Everyone around her except one note coleson was on the ball.

I had a similar issue with Cumberbatchs Dr strange because his accent was rough in far to many places that it took me out, but his appearances in the other movies I found much better. I don't know if it was script, direction, or more familiarity with the role but it improved alot imo and I'm hoping similarly to see her kick ass in Endgame playing off the others.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure they refer to her as Captain. That was her actual rank in the Air Force anyway and, unlike a certain other superhero, wasn't given the rank for show - she earned it.

Ehhh? Pretty Steve infiltrating Hydra behind enemy lines, rescuing Bucky and the rest of the prisoners held there, then running dozens of other missions in the European theater and sacrificing his life to save the world qualifies him for the rank of Captain.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Just got back from seeing this, and honestly, I'm surprised how much I enjoyed it. I think this ranks in my top 5 marvel movies. I honestly have been feeling burnt out on superhero films in general, and didn't really like Infinity War or Homecoming. Maybe I went in with lower expectations because I didn't have much familiarity with the character of Captain Marvel, but the character was really enjoyable. She seemed like a liable version of Hal Jordan.

The skrulls were also really fun, and I enjoyed the movie depicting how hard it would be to fight an enemy like that. I really am looking forward to seeing what they can do with some sequels. I also was impressed with how the movie didn't feel like it leaned too hard into 90s nostalgia. They use it for some easy jokes, but nothing too distracting. The soundtrack seemed pretty solid, and I'm not sure if the Nirvana song they used was too on the nose or perfect.

In general, I was really surprised how much I liked this film. It makes me kind of hopeful for Marvel movies after the move past the Thanos stuff.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh? Pretty Steve infiltrating Hydra behind enemy lines, rescuing Bucky and the rest of the prisoners held there, then running dozens of other missions in the European theater and sacrificing his life to save the world qualifies him for the rank of Captain.

He was given the rank of Captain before all that, remember. He earned the rank later but it doesn't really change that it was initially given to him for a publicity stunt nor that he only deserved that rank after he became a super soldier.

That's kinda what separates Carol from Steve, I think. Every single roadblock imaginable was put in front of Carol to stop her achieving her dream and she just busted through every one. They laughed at Rogers because he was short and skinny. They laughed at Carol because she was a woman.

In fact, if you think about it, Steve was picked by Erskine because he was a good person and that was important because of how the super soldier serum worked. Carol was picked by Lawson because she was qualified for the job and women weren't allowed to fly combat, so a woman was giving another woman a chance to do something truly important.

Oct 28, 2017
He was given the rank of Captain before all that, remember. He earned the rank later but it doesn't really change that it was initially given to him for a publicity stunt nor that he only deserved that rank after he became a super soldier.

That's kinda what separates Carol from Steve, I think. Every single roadblock imaginable was put in front of Carol to stop her achieving her dream and she just busted through every one. They laughed at Rogers because he was short and skinny. They laughed at Carol because she was a woman.

In fact, if you think about it, Steve was picked by Erskine because he was a good person and that was important because of how the super soldier serum worked. Carol was picked by Lawson because she was qualified for the job and women weren't allowed to fly combat, so a woman was giving another woman a chance to do something truly important.

Obvi his rank in the beginning was a joke. It was for propaganda, as you said but ultimately earned the rank of Captain through valor and sacrifice. It's just a weird argument.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Plan on seeing the movie again tomorrow after work and I will probably see it for a 3rd time before Endgame. Would be perfect if there was a IW, CM and Endgame mini marathon.

Still remember pretty much everything about it and I saw it opening day, I know some people have issues remembering things right after they've seen a movie. Still love the beginning with Star Force, thought they were all great.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I just watched... nope, didn't like it, made me roll my eyes at several scenes.

The story was quite good tho, just the scenes, dialogues, music, and visual effects were pretty pretty bad.

Still not as bad as other Marvel movies but not a good effort imo.

Good thing that origin story is out and now she's part of the team, which is what matters to me.

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
Saw it last night.

Was expecting a meh MCU experience, but I really loved it!

One of the best MCU origin story imo.

Only real complain is Brie's performance was pretty uneven, but hopefully she will improve in upcoming movies.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it today. It was ok. Goose was the best character. Brie Larson acted cute in some parts but sometimes the dialogue just seemed a bit too much, especially between her and her kree leader. Out of all the MCU movies this would be somewhere in the middle.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Finally saw this with my daughter. 6.5/10

Iron Man and Ant Man are still the best origin movies. I honestly also found Thor origin movie to be more enjoyable than this.

It had so many chances to become great but it barely is touching good. I don;t think the editing and the story of this movie was good or it would have made a difference. there hardly seems to be a sense of awe by some characters. Like for instance when Carol shows who she is to her friend, she is just sitting there with the oh ok look. the daughter looked more in character to how someone would react.

I don;t think the director of the movie brought the best acting skills out of Brie. she can do much better than this and honestly this was her worst performance in a movie that I have seen thus far. When she takes off her tether, her reveal of powers was good but it could have been so much better, they still did not showcase what she is really capable of which is disappointing because we would have to wait for Avengers for that, we should have seen it here. The Cat octopus scenes reminded me of Men in Black. I wasnt positive or negative on that. it was just eh. The scenes with Carol and Fury were the best but i still did not get where Fury flipped his switch from being sociable to be one liner serious man. I must have missed that in some other Marvel movie

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it.

1. Definitely Samuel L Jackson's best MCU performance.

2. Captain Marvel was kind of boring, herself. She had the Supergirl Season 1 problem - everyone around her was more interesting than she was. But, that can change in the Avengers: Endgame. I hope.

3. Jude Law was awesome. I was actually surprised by how much he commanded the screen when he was on it.

Overall, it was a decent movie. 7/10.

Dec 11, 2017
People were too kind to Ant Man and the Wasp. That movie was a huge mess barely held together by Paul Rudd's charisma. Bad villain/conflict, awkward reshoot scenes crammed in, just top to bottom disjointed storytelling.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it.

Just saw it.

2. Captain Marvel was kind of boring, herself. She had the Supergirl Season 1 problem - everyone around her was more interesting than she was. But, that can change in the Avengers: Endgame. I hope.

3. Jude Law was awesome. I was actually surprised by how much he commanded the screen when he was on it.

Wow, really? I respect your take, but I got the exact opposite. I thought Jude Law's talents were kinda squandered and he was outshined by Brie in every scene they were in together (except the last one. He sold that shit.) To be fair, he had little to work with as a one-dimensional character.

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
Just saw it.

I think the best way to describe it was "bland".

Brie Larsons acting was pretty dull and the comedy was terrible compared to the likes of Guardians and Thor Ragnarok.

With this being set in the past they had so many chances to set up something that connects with other movies, Thanos, whatever. In the end there was only kinda one thing and it was inconsequential.

Im honestly hoping Captain Marvel has a minimal role in Endgame as she is the least interesting character of the whole cast.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Finally saw it. Capt. Marvel has been my favorite marvel character for like the last 10 ish years even before she changed from Ms. to Capt. so I had expectations.

It was... fine.

Was worried about Brie's seemingly bland acting in the trailers and it was pretty much what happened. Not sure what they told her but the whole overly smug, I'm a badass-ness, of the character was really out of place or unearned. Its not so much her acting was bland, but more how the character was written and directed. The last few years of films have pretty varied tones of emotions by the characters compared to this which was pretty one note through the run to the point its noticeable. There is a bit of variety but not enough. The quips that Marvel usually has in spades were there but none really landed for me.

As a movie though I enjoyed what they did. Gave her a less trash origin than the comics thankfully. Showed off a bit how strong she is. Enjoyed the music choices from my childhood. Did not hate it but a lot of the usual enjoyable parts of Marvel movies fell flat this time. Strong final act from when it starts to when it ends, not overly long, but felt perfect.

My favorite part of the movie though was the possible introduction of Spectrum. Though Homecoming had a random small nod to Prowler as well even though it isn't too likely he will show up lol.

Still... I'd give it a 7.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Saw the movie yesterday... what a trainwreck (for MCU standards). Everything fell flat - comedy, action & battles, character-arcs, story and tone.
One of the few MCU movies that I have absolutely no desire to ever see again. Definitely at the bottom of the MCU. As shit as Avengers 2 was, at least I'd rewatch that, but there is nothing redeeming about Ctp. Marvel. Even her "OP"-phase was very boring. I dunno if it was the script or director, but something just didn't work out. 3/10.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at impressions in this thread and I can see a lot of middling responses.

I liked it, solid 8 or 8.5 out of 10 for an MCU movie. It exceeded my expectations.

I liked the fact that she was an insufferable wiseass. I thought the action worked well and the central themes worked well in the context of the movie. The Skrulls could have had a bit more to work with but I appreciated what they did with them in the story, I want to see more Skrulls.

The choice of 90s music worked really well too.

I can understand people not liking it, but yeah I felt pretty satisfied with it.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from my second viewing. This time I saw it in AMC Dolby cinema (my first time) and enjoyed it just as much as last weekend. My dad's favorite part was when

she punched the old lady (skrull) on the bus LOL.

Last edited: