• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.bullshido.net/waif-washing-hollywoods-problem-with-athletic-women/

This is a woman's perspective that pretty much nails down my issues with a lot of the castings of female actresses in these Marvel movies.

The fact that they're superpowered beings is a false excuse, because Thor is a superpowered being and Hemsworth is still asked to look the part. Spiderman gets his superpowers overnight and he still develops muscle mass. There's this bizzarre disparity between female and male superheroes where the guys are required to look handsome AND athletic/powerful/actual superheroes, and the women are required to look pretty. Brie particularly stood out to me because she doesn't look athletic (but that's ok, no superheroine has looked athletic so far, and given how many insecure man keep commenting on how athletic women look unfeminine, I can almost see the reason) but she doesn't even look fit - just thin.

And I've experienced women being frustrated about this - both my wife and expecially my sister, who does martial arts, commented on how every male actor is required to bulk up and look like they could throw and take a punch, while the female actresses seem to be required to still look good in a dress and god forbid they have some arms definition or look "strong".

That's a fair point indeed. I'd love to have some more athletic womens in movies.

But i suppose that buffed actresses would be then restricted to action roles and not all of them want that. And since women led action movies are relatively rare, being buffed might not be the best career move an actress could make since it would limit the number of roles available. And to top it off, when taking the risk of making an action movie led by a women, i'm pretty sure that the production would prioritize a "bankable" actress over anything else, wich would be more than likely lean and not buffed at all. That's a vicious circle.

And i guess the productions can justify themselves with the likes of Michelle Yeoh and other Martial Arts actresses who kicks ass and while not showing big muscles.

As sad as it is, i don't think this will change anytime soon. Especially when the few attempts that have been made kinda bombed (latest Tomb Raider or Haywire for instance).

nic1

Mar 16, 2019
Saw the movie over the weekend and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. Brie Larson was great, it didn't feel like a generic origin movie (like most of the others), and the humor worked really well. Looking forward to see what the Russo's are going to do with the character.

The only thing that didn't work for me was the sound track. While the music was great, I think it didn't fit the scene's as well as for example in Guardians of the Galaxy.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.bullshido.net/waif-washing-hollywoods-problem-with-athletic-women/

This is a woman's perspective that pretty much nails down my issues with a lot of the castings of female actresses in these Marvel movies.

The fact that they're superpowered beings is a false excuse, because Thor is a superpowered being and Hemsworth is still asked to look the part. Spiderman gets his superpowers overnight and he still develops muscle mass. There's this bizzarre disparity between female and male superheroes where the guys are required to look handsome AND athletic/powerful/actual superheroes, and the women are required to look pretty. Brie particularly stood out to me because she doesn't look athletic (but that's ok, no superheroine has looked athletic so far, and given how many insecure man keep commenting on how athletic women look unfeminine, I can almost see the reason) but she doesn't even look fit - just thin.

And I've experienced women being frustrated about this - both my wife and expecially my sister, who does martial arts, commented on how every male actor is required to bulk up and look like they could throw and take a punch, while the female actresses seem to be required to still look good in a dress and god forbid they have some arms definition or look "strong".

I don't think thats limited to superhero movies. Its the current societal norm of idealised genders (not excusing it). Men are muscly and fit, women are curvy and pretty.

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actualy loved this movie. I had somehow lower expectations due to online critics but I realy enjoyed the ride!

And the Stan Lee cameo was realy good.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I actualy loved this movie. I had somehow lower expectations due to online critics but I realy enjoyed the ride!

And the Stan Lee cameo was realy good.

Me too. if we take away the baggage of expectation from being an origin story stuck between two huge phase-ending avengers movies then I think it would be received more positively

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found this movie genuinely upsetting. Main character's ordeal just felt traumatic in a way I wouldn't expect out of a superhero flick.

It's very relatable because it's what we had to go through ourselves. The moment you go against the grain in this world, men seem incapable of stopping themselves trying to push you down. You spend your entire life fighting to be who you want to be, getting back up after being knocked down time and time again, and for what? The world to ask you when you're settling down and having kids.

Carol was a superhero before she even got any powers, if you ask me. Any woman who follows the path she wants to in spite of the resistance the world throws at her is a superhero.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It's very relatable because it's what we had to go through ourselves. The moment you go against the grain in this world, men seem incapable of stopping themselves trying to push you down. You spend your entire life fighting to be who you want to be, getting back up after being knocked down time and time again, and for what? The world to ask you when you're settling down and having kids.

Carol was a superhero before she even got any powers, if you ask me. Any woman who follows the path she wants to in spite of the resistance the world throws at her is a superhero.
The use of "the Supreme Intelligence" to represent a patriarchy that must not be questioned was salient, I thought. Especially considering its use of subconscious—the tenets it espouses literally arise from what has been internalized. It's terribly clever.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I thought it was okay. It felt very unspectacular coming off of Infinity War but that's expected. Brie was kind of boring in this movie, which is surprising because she's a great actress.

Oct 28, 2017
The use of "the Supreme Intelligence" to represent a patriarchy that must not be questioned was salient, I thought. Especially considering its use of subconscious—the tenets it espouses literally arise from what has been internalized. It's terribly clever.

Wait, how did the Supreme Intelligence represent the patriarchy?

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Finally saw this last night. My wife and I enjoyed it enough. Some of the dialogue was really corny and delivered poorly. I know Brie Larson and Samuel L. Jackson are excellent actors, as are Jude Law and the Australian Skrull actor, whose name escapes me right now, but some of their lines were delivered in such an awkward way, I can only blame the directing.

Brie was especially guilty of this up until about halfway through the movie, when it started to improve dramatically.

Best parts:
the flerken and Fury's interactions with it, when Capt. Marvel finally goes Super Saiyan towards the end. Some of the initial Earth moments, the scenes at the secret air force base between Fury and Capt. Marvel. The de-aging special effects were great.

Worst parts:
I suppose it was supposed to be obvious about how Jude Law was actually going to be the bad guy and not Talos? Some of the special effects early on were rough, the dialogue and direction thereof, Nick Fury's hair. Why didn't CM just destroy Ronan's and the other ships? She literally jut flew through the other ship with the warheads on it like they were nothing. I know Ronan had to survive to be the antagonist in GotG, but still. He shouldn't have even been 10 feet away from her to begin with.

I would give it a solid 6.8 out of 10. I'll watch it again some day, but would only put it above a couple of the MCU movies on the low end of the scale. It's no Infinity War, Civil War, Winter Soldier, or even Age of Ultron, but it isn't bargain bin nonsense like The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Thor: The Dark World, or Iron Man 2.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
I read somewhere that Fury and Yon-Rogg were meant to be foils (in how they interact with Carol), and I agree.
Perhaps they could've fleshed out the Yon-Rogg and Carol relationship more, but we can see that one is manipulative and possessive, while the other is encouraging and trustworthy.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, how did the Supreme Intelligence represent the patriarchy?
It represents what Jude Law taught her, to restrict/confine herself to the bounds he's established. It takes the shape of a trusted figure, a part of herself she has internalized, and tries to hold her back from becoming what she wants to/can be. The equivalence is made most explicit in the scene where she overcomes the intelligence, which is intercut with shots of her encounters with sexism in her earlier life on earth—one of these shots in particular takes place during a conflict with her father. The phrase "supreme intelligence" in itself suggests something that cannot be questioned, that represents the final say—the height of knowledge. "The way things are." She, fittingly, destroys it.

Last edited:

samb_rules

Jan 16, 2018
Worst parts:
I suppose it was supposed to be obvious about how Jude Law was actually going to be the bad guy and not Talos? Some of the special effects early on were rough, the dialogue and direction thereof, Nick Fury's hair. Why didn't CM just destroy Ronan's and the other ships? She literally jut flew through the other ship with the warheads on it like they were nothing. I know Ronan had to survive to be the antagonist in GotG, but still. He shouldn't have even been 10 feet away from her to begin with.

I felt like this was her saying "Back off, Earth's mine, go tell all your dumb mates". If she'd just blown up the ships they'd keep sending reinforcements/attack from further away I imagine.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I saw this over the weekend and really liked it.

I'd definitely say that the earlier parts of the movie were more difficult to get invested in. I really felt like her past was integral to who she was and taking so long to get into it made me feel a bit disconnected from the story.

I feel like the premise of the story needed to focus a bit more on her desire to solve the mystery of her origin. It's a bit weird that she's part of this alien race that look exactly like humans, has no memory of her past, and then she lands on earth, where everyone looks *exactly* like her and it's just kind of like "whatever"

It felt like the movie was just dragging its feet towards this inevitability of finding out she was born on earth. Like we as the audience are basically told up front that it's what we're headed towards, but the protagonist's interest in this inevitability is so casual until the plot is ready to tackle it.

As a result, I never really felt like she had her moment of becoming Carol Danvers. She had her "my name is Carol Danvers" moment, but it was a moment of defiance and not a moment of realization. We see the scene where it all comes back to her, but her immediate response is "I don't even know who I am," as if she's merely become aware of the events that transpired, instead of actually becoming the owner of those memories. Like she believes that the events happened, but the meaning that they had to Carol Danvers has not yet returned to her.

I wanted to see the emotional weight of that hitting her, because it was a far more interesting aspect of her character than anything involving the past 6 years and the supreme intelligence.

Part of me wonders if they tackled the story from this perspective to avoid digging deeper into the sexism that she faced that clearly defined aspects of her character.

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
Saw it two hours ago and it was great which surprised me tbh due to it's critic reception , i think it's the best origin story second to only iron man tbh. When she gone full super saiyan i had chills over. Also loved brie as captain marvel and her interactions with fury and her best friend (whose name i am forgetting lol) so yeah...just go see it the theatre guys.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I saw it and actually really liked it, as well. I really liked Ben Mendelsohn.

I feel like the premise of the story needed to focus a bit more on her desire to solve the mystery of her origin. It's a bit weird that she's part of this alien race that look exactly like humans, has no memory of her past, and then she lands on earth, where everyone looks *exactly* like her and it's just kind of like "whatever"

Eh, I didn't really get that myself. She seemed like she was rather passe about being on different planets, and the Guardians of the Galaxy movies established that there are plenty of people who're basically just baseline humans out there.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Saw it last night so here are a few thoughts.

Overall really liked it
It felt a lot like a 90s The First Avenger but without as much of the quirky ness of TFA

(Edit: to be clear this is a big compliment TFA is one of my favourite Marvel films)

Pacing was good it was a comfortable movie that did almost everything it tried well.

The action scenes featuring Carol fighting were rough though, Chloe Bennet and Caity Lotz have really raised the bar for this genre with their TV work

Last edited:

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Also saw it last night.

I was pleasantly surprised, the reactions I gathered from the internet seemd a lot more negative (though I also ignored all the politics involved, so I have no idea what really went down there).
First ~15min reminded me of Thor: The Dark World tbh, in terms of space mumbo jumbo, but I really liked the mystery that started afterwards. Loved Fury in this.

I still don't know why she's called Captain Marvel, though. They never even dropped that name.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Also saw it last night.

I was pleasantly surprised, the reactions I gathered from the internet seemd a lot more negative (though I also ignored all the politics involved, so I have no idea what really went down there).
First ~15min reminded me of Thor: The Dark World tbh, in terms of space mumbo jumbo, but I really liked the mystery that started afterwards. Loved Fury in this.

I still don't know why she's called Captain Marvel, though. They never even dropped that name.

They said that her scientist friend was named Mar-Vel

Personally not having it as her call sign aka Captain Carol "Marvel" Danvers felt like the obvious place for a name drop but they obviously had other plans for that

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
They said that her scientist friend was named Mar-Vel

Personally not having it as her call sign aka Captain Carol "Marvel" Danvers felt like the obvious place for a name drop but they obviously had other plans for that
Yeah, she was called Mar-Vell, but I still don't get why she adopted the name. I guess out of admiration or something, but the movie never hinted at anything in particular, which I felt was kind of odd.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
It represents what Jude Law taught her, to restrict/confine herself to the bounds he's established. It takes the shape of a trusted figure, a part of herself she has internalized, and tries to hold her back from becoming what she wants to/can be. The equivalence is made most explicit in the scene where she overcomes the intelligence, which is intercut with shots of her encounters with sexism in her earlier life on earth—one of these shots in particular takes place during a conflict with her father. The phrase "supreme intelligence" in itself suggests something that cannot be questioned, that represents the final say—the height of knowledge. "The way things are." She, fittingly, destroys it.

That's actually a really interesting interpretation, and I didn't read into it deeply enough to get that, but when it's laid out like that, I can see it.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Hmm

HMMMM

Honestly it's both silly and intriguing.

yeah, I mean it seems like dumb buzzfeed bs at first, but it's such an odd detail that also happens to have been seen in the movies by a character with not a ton of screen time

edit: also something that bothered me when I saw it
skrull-boy acts all scared of the flurkin in the house. Fury is all about cat. In the ship toward the end, the flurkin runs up to disguised skrull-boy and they're all friendly. was it misdirection? also I suck at names

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
First time I saw it I thought it was good. Not great, not bad ... solid above arvg MCU flick.

Saw it again tonight and it's fucking GREAT!
Without having to pay attention to the story progression or thinking about how xyz connects to other things in the MCU I was able to pick up on tons of details. Feel like I had much better crowd to, laughs were had and jokes landed far better.

Like how someone yells "Rookie, go talk to the rent-a-cop" or something which lead to Phip talking to the guy (I knew he was new and they make it a point to say how new he is again but yeah, nice detail). Like how Fury tells Monica she'd have to "learn how to glow" to meet Carol half way in space (She says "Or maybe I can build a space ship, you don't know" which I DID remember. Also Maria was offered a position at shield and DOESN'T turn it down. These things together makes me think Shield space ship accident (maybe involving the Tesseract cause Fury was open to fucking with it for tech) is how Adult Monica becomes Photon). Carol also says she'll be back soon or w/e, makes me think she DOES visit earth sometime between CM and EndGame. Prob not often but I think CM 2 could easily be set before Endgame and have Monica's hero origins.

Also love how Fury's mystery about his eye starts here. By nature of keeping the truth in the dark he becomes this legend with in shield. This guy who had his eye BURNT OUT by alien invaders because he refused to give them information that could be used against us. It's such a normal thing for people to build up stories about something like this and make someone out to be a complete bad ass.

Also the baby Skrull! Monica and the young girl skrull play with each other and become friends. The important thing that jumped out to me though was when Talos told his wife to cover the girl's eyes before her shots the kree and in the commotion she pulls away and the cam focuses on her seeing the Kree getting shot dead by her dad. They also make it a point to show her seeing her dad get shot by the Kree. I'm thinking that all this adds up to her wanting to kill Kree instead of hiding and using earth to do it when she's older.

Last edited:

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm

HMMMM

Honestly it's both silly and intriguing.
yeah, I mean it seems like dumb buzzfeed bs at first, but it's such an odd detail that also happens to have been seen in the movies by a character with not a ton of screen time

edit: also something that bothered me when I saw it
skrull-boy acts all scared of the flurkin in the house. Fury is all about cat. In the ship toward the end, the flurkin runs up to disguised skrull-boy and they're all friendly. was it misdirection? also I suck at names
The article is incorrect. In AoU, when Fury picks up the sandwich it is not cut diagonally.
That's actually a really interesting interpretation, and I didn't read into it deeply enough to get that, but when it's laid out like that, I can see it.
I didn't get it at first, it was hours after I saw the movie, unsatisfied with those scenes, thinking I had missed something because they didn't seem important to the plot. Then it clicked for me and I instantly developed a deep appreciation for the script.

It's certainly there but I didn't expect that kind of thematic resonance from a Marvel superhero flick, which rarely probe beneath the surface. I think if I had gone in expecting it I would have noticed it earlier. Black Panther and Captain Marvel are both superbly written movies, with a graceful handling of the social issues they tackle. They aren't perfect, but they demonstrate a kind of ambition that's been lacking in many blockbusters. I hope they are the start of a trend.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had middling expectations and I think I was still slightly underwhelmed. It was just a fairly dull movie without a strong identity or compelling character arcs. Still reached a baseline level of entertainment you expect with Marvel movies.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worst parts:

She was sending a message.

The Accusers are a really big deal within the Kree Empire, right? So for Carol to so casually wreck an entire fleet of their ships and leave a few as witnesses, she pretty much guaranteed the Kree would never dare return to Earth and I imagine word would spread quite quickly from there.

Could even argue this is why nobody, not even Thanos, invades Earth for almost twenty years.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I saw it today, and it was much better than I anticipated.
Yeah, she was called Mar-Vell, but I still don't get why she adopted the name. I guess out of admiration or something, but the movie never hinted at anything in particular, which I felt was kind of odd.
Unless I missed something, they never actually refer to her as Captain Marvel in the movie. Just Vers or Carol Danvers.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Saw it last night because I want to be up to speed for Endgame. It was alright. Brie was good, I actually really like how she portrays Carol but there were a couple scenes that were super deadpan and out of place with the rest of her performance. Overall they have a really good female hero here and the getting back up montage was fantastic, followed by her coming into her power. Woo and I loved the No Doubt song that brings me back haha plus when she was wrecking ships and that bass beat is going on in the background, that was great.
A con though is she is not a good runner, her legs were all bowed and yes I notice these things haha.

The skrulls were weird. I could not take them seriously. It was the voices plus how they focused more on comedy idk it was not good.

The story was standard fare, nothing special except for the things specific to Carol. And Fury was cool.

edit: That No Doubt song (Just a Girl) fits in with the empowerment message of the movie too. I really felt they did that aspect well.

I guess it's kind of implied with Mar-Vell being Carol's visual interpretation of the Supreme Intelligence (it takes the form of someone you admire most), and then during the dish washing with Fury where he pronounces it Marvel. Idk, yea it never made it official.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I just saw it tonight...i dont understand the controversy or even the mixed feelings. 9/19

I really enjoyed how they didnt make the skrull the bad guys like in the comics and instead made the kree the shitlords. A real good change giving the villains who would be the typical villains in other superhero movies real humanity to them that made you feel for them being massacred. Gave me some small semi anti imperialist vibes.

And of course Carol's development with her friend and her daughter was great too. Samuel jackson was actually super funny this time and not overtly serious as he usually is.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm bumping this thread because I just watched this video and I agree with just about every criticism this guy has of the film.

Well, almost everything. I thought the explanation for Fury's scar was funny.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I'm bumping this thread because I just watched this video and I agree with just about every criticism this guy has of the film.

Well, almost everything. I thought the explanation for Fury's scar was funny.

It's pretty funny how pretty much every male "nerd film" YouTuber came to the same conclusions about Captain Marvel.

Certainly it seems that actual audiences seem to have disagreed.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty funny how pretty much every male "nerd film" YouTuber came to the same conclusions about Captain Marvel.

Certainly it seems that actual audiences seem to have disagreed.
What conclusion is that?

I'm not a youtuber. I was an actual audience member. I largely agree with his points in the video. It mostly comes down to a poor script, but the film also features very bland editing, music & action. Carol herself is upstaged by just about every other character that she interacts with in the film.

The one aspect of the video I really think resonated with me is the concept that Carol should have been more emotionally invested with her Kree team. We should have seen her have to wrestle with the conflict of fighting against her teammates. If she actually cared about them it would have created some actual drama and tension when she had to fight them at the end, but instead she destroys these people like she just met them the night before.

As it stands in the film, which I saw twice, I don't even know any of her Kree teammate's names except for Yon-Rogg.

I also agree that it's not very compelling to have Carol's solution to every situation be "Just Get Stronger."

She literally just "gets stronger" whenever the plot calls for it.

What are you even trying to imply by saying "male?" We just dismiss all criticism by conflating it with MRA trolls now?

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
I also agree that it's not very compelling to have Carol's solution to every situation be "Just Get Stronger."

dawg you missing the point

the point of the movie doing that is that carol(women in general) has always been strong but she (them) has always had toxic males/patriarchy telling them that they're not strong enough or they're too illogical or they're too emotional or other gaslighting lies. said lies program carol/women into thinking they're weak and the sequence where she breaks free of the supreme AI is where she realizes that the supreme AI is no different from her trash dad who got mad at her for joining in instead of being worried about her crashing, the boys who bullied her at the beach and the cockpit pilot guy. she has always been strong and she's always had the power to be awesome

also my personal preference is this, have a strong emotional core / a good message and i'll let lapses in music/visuals/etc go, especially in the MCU. i tend to rate thor/iron man 2 in the lowest 5 of MCU and captain marvel/black panther in the top 5 for that reason. incidentally i also apply this preference for kamen rider and it works well

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What conclusion is that?

I'm not a youtuber. I was an actual audience member. I largely agree with his points in the video. It mostly comes down to a poor script, but the film also features very bland editing, music & action. Carol herself is upstaged by just about every other character that she interacts with in the film.

The one aspect of the video I really think resonated with me is the concept that Carol should have been more emotionally invested with her Kree team. We should have seen her have to wrestle with the conflict of fighting against her teammates. If she actually cared about them it would have created some actual drama and tension when she had to fight them at the end, but instead she destroys these people like she just met them the night before.

As it stands in the film, which I saw twice, I don't even know any of her Kree teammate's names except for Yon-Rogg.

She literally just "gets stronger" whenever the plot calls for it.

What are you even trying to imply by saying "male?" We just dismiss all criticism by conflating it with MRA trolls now?

your criticism of the team are stupid, it is even adressed in the movie, the team always saw carol as and outsider, so why would she feel bad about fighting these people?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
your criticism of the team are stupid, it is even adressed in the movie, the team always saw carol as and outsider, so why would she feel bad about fighting these people?
Well, obviously that wouldn't be the case in the hypothetical rewrite. They shouldn't have written the team dynamic that way. I mean, it's not like they serve a good payoff to them either way. I gained no satiafaction from their defeat in the movie as it is.

Regardless, they aren't my criticisms, it's all in the video.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Just came back from Capt Marvel to prep for Avengers Endgame. It was below average at best. Dare I say, even worse than Thor Dark World which is tragic because the movie could've been so much better. I'm so glad I waited out over a month to see this movie.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Regardless, they aren't my criticisms, it's all in the video.

But you said you agree with it?

Also her solution wasn't always getting stronger, she was as strong at the end of the movie as she was at the beggining, that was the whole point, why do you think they kept repeating that she should control her emotions, and threaten to take their powers away to keep her down

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Marvel artist John Staub released some very early concept art showing off quite different set pieces and different costume looks

john-staub-57597638-10158572361642178-1254172399377580032-o.jpg

john-staub-58379584-10158572359262178-6483046584039768064-o.jpg

john-staub-57611810-10158572373622178-6031753324909297664-o.jpg

john-staub-58382791-10158572372532178-3176297751851827200-o.jpg

john-staub-57390100-10158572384417178-193254600399126528-o.jpg

More at the link: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JlkOXz