• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Best thing to do with movie reviews is find a handful of reviewers who's taste lines up with your own and check for their opinions.

My guys all like the film so seems like I'll end up liking it too!

Movies like Alita and Aquaman have been done dirty, in my opinion, in recent months.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I mean, maybe? My first thought was when Feige got Marvel Studios out from under Perlmutter because that could include stuff like Thor: The Dark World. (But critics were much nicer to Thor: The Dark World than I remembered.)

The argument doesn't make any sense. You cant claim that marvel studios only hit "stratospheric" heights after perlmutter was gone, when 3 of the top 6 grossing movies are from before that happened, and it took until 2018 before anything outgrossed avengers 1 and 2...which were the films that put the marvel brand on the map and made the MCU. Not Infinity War.

The only interpretation that makes sense is that the quote refers to Feige becoming president of marvel studios in 2007.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Best thing to do with movie reviews is find a handful of reviewers who's taste lines up with your own and check for their opinions.

My guys all like the film so seems like I'll end up liking it too!

Movies like Alita and Aquaman have been done dirty, in my opinion, in recent months.
This is really the case with any reviews, if you understand the reviewers tastes it's much easier to compare to what you will think.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
The screen junkie's review had a decent insight re: why the movie is falling flat. They go with the "protagonist can't remember their past" approach in Captain Marvel. If you're going to do that in a way that is compelling, you have to either:

1. present it so that the audience is as clueless as the protagonist and discovering everything along with them (a la Bourne Identity)
2. present it so that the audience knows more than the protagonist, and have that knowledge fill us with dread over what the protagonist is unknowingly working toward (because they have no idea about the impending threat or consequences)

But with Captain Marvel we know who she's going to be, and there isn't a sense of dread -- instead we are just waiting for her character to catch up to what we already know.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
There already has started the spamming of dislikes on any YouTube video that liked the movie. If a review is critical, the ratio is normal, but if people were generally positive, the ratio is getting bombed. It's pretty transparent what is happening and many of these videos have only been up for a little bit.

Oct 25, 2017
Since people keep embedding negative tweets. Here are a few that are a lot more representative of the general consensus:

hy34wlm.png

DQpm4RL.png

U6k3mjj.png

5q3Mg7X.png

NOLq82d.png

Gyvio9p.png

uNv1Kfi.png

0vEkmeQ.png

WdPyOPP.png

Just to drive the point home:

b1NarkU.jpg

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll watch the film,
as Captain Marvel has been my most anticipated Marvel film since it was being rumoured.
Still, don't think I'll be amazed,
it'll probably be a formulaic Marvel film.
Will just go in, turn off my brain,
and hope to be surprised.

Love Captain Marvel,
just not sure I'll love the film.

Only other heroes that I'd love to have movies are, Silver Surfer and Nova.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The argument doesn't make any sense. You cant claim that marvel studios only hit "stratospheric" heights after perlmutter was gone, when 3 of the top 6 grossing movies are from before that happened, and it took until 2018 before anything outgrossed avengers 1 and 2...which were the films that put the marvel brand on the map and made the MCU. Not Infinity War.

The only interpretation that makes sense is that the quote refers to Feige becoming president of marvel studios in 2007.

I guess. But I'm pretty suspicious of someone calling this the worst of the MCU when Thor: The Dark World exists.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The screen junkie's review had a decent insight re: why the movie is falling flat. They go with the "protagonist can't remember their past" approach in Captain Marvel. If you're going to do that in a way that is compelling, you have to either:

1. present it so that the audience is as clueless as the protagonist and discovering everything along with them (a la Bourne Identity)
2. present it so that the audience knows more than the protagonist, and have that knowledge fill us with dread over what the protagonist is unknowingly working toward (because they have no idea about the impending threat or consequences)

But with Captain Marvel we know who she's going to be, and there isn't a sense of dread -- instead we are just waiting for her character to catch up to what we already know.
I thought that was an interesting take by them, but going by other reviews that didn't seem to have this issue nor list it as a negative with the movie, I think I'm going to have to wait to see it myself before deciding it didn't work.

I think inherently a more disjointed narrative structure, especially one told through flashbacks and mystery, is going to just not resonate for some people regardless of execution.

I think the point about having the audience clueless along with the protagonist is a good example of how else it could work, but it's not the only way to make it work. I think their point about finding more ways to ground the audience to the character seemed more valid, since there seems to be a deliberate attempt to initially introduce her as a perfect Kree warrior that seems to create a bit of a disconnect for people, but there is character moments later on with supporting characters that do seem like it grounded the character for others, so again, I've seen it pulled off in other movies and even after watching the Screen Junkies review (coincidentally the first one I watched) I think it's something I realized I have to see how it's executed for myself rather than concluding that it's an aspect they failed on.

Dec 16, 2017
There's a huge disconnect between a 91% and the way the actual reviews read. Rotten Tomatoes rewards mediocrity and it's driving me crazy.

That said, I hope I like the movie more than the reviews read.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
There's a huge disconnect between a 91% and the way the actual reviews read. Rotten Tomatoes rewards mediocrity and it's driving me crazy.

Putting RT on a pedestal is just lame. People should stop mentioning RT in thread titles.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

This movie is right in line on metacritic with the rest of the Avengers films. If this is as good as Infinity War, as RT and Metacritic both imply, I will be thrilled.

Dec 16, 2017
This movie is right in line on metacritic with the rest of the Avengers films. If this is as good as Infinity War, as RT and Metacritic both imply, I will be thrilled.

I think it's reaching a point where the aggregate sites are no longer a very good predictor of the quality of a film. I've loved some movies with low aggregate scores, and been bored by movies that have scored very well.

I loved Infinity War, but that was a film with a strong villain and major character deaths (at least in that film). Getting the same 'score' doesn't mean it hasn't those same elements.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I vastly prefer the RT system to Metacritic. I just want to know if it's worth watching a movie, not some arbitrary score applied to subjective art. Give me the % of critics who saw it and recommend it. Perfect.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's reaching a point where the aggregate sites are no longer a very good predictor of the quality of a film. I've loved some movies with low aggregate scores, and been bored by movies that have scored very well.

I loved Infinity War, but that was a film with a strong villain and major character deaths (at least in that film). Getting the same 'score' doesn't mean it hasn't those same elements.

ah yes, its getting to that point yes... curious that it took this movie to "get to that point", so far RT has been fine, but its "getting to that point" now with Captain Marvel.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Wonder Woman vs Captain Marvel doesn't become a thing :/

Recently learned of weirdos on the internet hijacking Alita as the movie to pit against Captain Marvel. Arseholes.
That's not as bad as people rallying around Shazam as the "true" Captain Marvel.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I was expecting something better than Black Panther but looks like it's in the same C tier of the Marvel Movies. Anyway, I already have the ticket bought for Friday.

My ranking of the movies in case anyone ask what other movies are in my C tier:

A: Infinity War, Avengers, Iron Man, Civil War, Winter Soldier, Guardians and Homecoming.
B: First Avenger, Iron Man 2, Ant Man, Ant Man 2, Thor 3, Guardians 2, and Dr. Strange.
C: Hulk, Iron Man 3, Thor, Thor 2, Black Panther and Age Of Ultron.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's not as bad as people rallying around Shazam as the "true" Captain Marvel.

That's been a thing for a long time. Well before Carol took the name in Marvel continuity. (But it has definitely been co-opted by these people.)

(And, yes, I am well aware that Billy's name change was in 2011. But for the longest time, DC still used "Captain Marvel" in-universe, and marketed it as "Shazam." They finally stopped trying to do that in 2011.)

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are being really disingenuous with calling the reception to this mixed.

BP is like the dead-center on the MCU tier list

It's at minimum one of the best 3. Hell, Feige himself thinks it's the best.

Nope. AoU made significantly more. 1.4 billion to 1.1 Billion.

The top 6 films are
Infinity War (2 Billion) 2018
Avengers 1 (1.5 Billion) 2012
Age of Ultron (1.4 Billion) 2015
Black Panther (1.3 Billion) 2018
Iron Man 3 (1.2 Billion) 2013
Civil War (1.1 Billion) 2016.

The MCU peaked between 2012 and 2015 with A1, IM3, and AoU. It was a decline from that point on until BP and Infinity War in 2018. BP is punching above its weight there. Even though its 4th in total gross its first for domestic with about 700 million.

Depends on what you mean by "peaked".

The franchise seems like it became a bigger part of pop culture with every release post Age of Ultron, for the most part, regardless of none of the solo films making as much as the Avengers/ensemble pictures.

And honestly, that's because they have. Infinity War made what it did for many reasons, one of which is that people continue to see these movies and talk about them, even if it isn't necessarily in the theater. The franchise's footprint grew larger in the years following Age of Ultron, not the other way around.

And arguing the franchise has been on the decline because none of the solo movies made what the big ensemble flicks did seems rather stupid.

Whicker

Jan 6, 2018
Ontario
While the movie might be great, I feel like reviews will be skewed on the higher side due to male reviewers not wanting to come off sexist. Especially due to the controversy surrounding it right now.

Was the same with Black Panther, I thought it was pretty good, but not better than some of the other marvel movies it outscored. I'm sure some reviewers went easier on it to not come off as racist.

Regardless of any reviews, I am still looking forward to seeing it! I just wana watch some awesome movies :).

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
While the movie might be great, I feel like reviews will be skewed on the higher side due to male reviewers not wanting to come off sexist. Especially due to the controversy surrounding it right now.

Was the same with Black Panther, I thought it was pretty good, but not better than some of the other marvel movies it outscored. I'm sure some reviewers went easier on it to not come off as racist.

What the fuck is wrong with people like you?

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Carol is kinda wack, but the score and helping make neckbeards salty is enough for me to see it.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Nope. AoU made significantly more. 1.4 billion to 1.1 Billion.

The top 6 films are
Infinity War (2 Billion) 2018
Avengers 1 (1.5 Billion) 2012
Age of Ultron (1.4 Billion) 2015
Black Panther (1.3 Billion) 2018
Iron Man 3 (1.2 Billion) 2013
Civil War (1.1 Billion) 2016.

The MCU peaked between 2012 and 2015 with A1, IM3, and AoU. It was a decline from that point on until BP and Infinity War in 2018. BP is punching above its weight there. Even though its 4th in total gross its first for domestic with about 700 million.
When Endgame grosses over 2 billion following Infinity War you might have to reassess that peak.

AHK-Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I just want to say I wish people would stop putting RT scores in thread titles.

When I want to go see a movie without my mind tainted by a score aggregator I have stop browsing the forum several days in advance of release which is pretty lame. How am I supposed to get through the workday without Era, you fools!

smh

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017

Regardless of any reviews, I am still looking forward to seeing it! I just wana watch some awesome movies :).
Not shocked that a person with so little posts would type this. Plenty of Black Lead films get horrible reviews(Wrinkle in time was released around the same time) Black Panther is by far the best rated Marvel film critically.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I wish critics would refrain from the WW comparisons, all it does is exacerbate the stupid DCEU vs MCU fan war. Few could competently compare the two without it spiraling into sexist drivel.

Oct 27, 2017

Wtf is this?

Gotta shoehorn the conspiracy theories and "Black Panther was overrated" talking points into this thread somehow.

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
Do you honestly think that the controversy will not affect its reception at all? Good or Bad?

Not for the vast majority of critics, no. These are people who do this as a living for tons of movies with black/female leads. They're there to give their opinion, not to cater to what the masses want. You're looking at this through some weird-ass lens.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, Feige's opinion doesn't carry much weight in this matter

It's certainly not in the top 3.

It's arguably the best in the franchise to me, and that's not exactly an unpopular opinion. It's by far the best reviewed movie in the universe.

And Feige's opinion carries more weight than either of ours lmao ffs

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Reviews definitely seem more lukewarm than the initial impressions thread. Was hoping this wasn't in the Ant Man 2 realm

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Knowing what's on the soundtrack I'm now even more desperate for this to be good. But damn... the trailers are just so boring to me.

Reviews definitely seem more lukewarm than the initial impressions thread. Was hoping this wasn't in the Ant Man 2 realm

Would love if it were that level of quality since I loved Ant Man and the Wasp. Came out of nowhere to surprise me. Still need to watch the first one.

Whicker

Jan 6, 2018
Ontario
Not for the vast majority of critics, no. These are people who do this as a living for tons of movies with black/female leads. They're there to give their opinion, not to cater to what the masses want. You're looking at this through some weird-ass lens.

You are probably right. I just want honest reviews with no worry about public perception.