• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
The best thing about these threads is to read page one, and then skip to the last page its like the funniest thing.

giphy.gif

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Then why did you respond at all?

I've been burned by Marvel movies several times, and while I'm cautiously optimistic about this one, I'm still cautious about it, and the safer bet is not spending $30+ to take me and someone else to see it. I don't care about spoilers, so waiting half a year and renting it will be just fine.

I apologize if my "scalding-hot" take came across as shitty or insincere. I was under the impression I could share my current feelings on the marvel films and this particular film in a thread where marvel films and this particular film were being discussed, without having to worry about a sarcastic drive by insult.
Okay? "Why are you responding to me?!" on a public forum will never not be bizarre.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There have been, what, 20 movies now? and you are starting from a point where you think they are all the same, so is there a reason this one will finally be it?

Do you know what the definition of insanity is?

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is the highlight of my day. SO HYPED. I expected it to be well-received, but it's funny and sad (mostly sad) watching the manbabies desperately trying to do some last-minute damage control.

Really happy to hear that there are some legit surprises in the movie.

That TV spot, tho... the feels are real.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I know a lot of women personally that are pretty hype for this.

Hopefully, it paves the way for more ethnic diversity amongst the women in the MCU. Didn't really get that till Black Panther and most of the women in that film ended up being fan favs and kicked tons of ass. So I know you can do it Disney.

luca

Oct 25, 2017

👀

I was fully expecting this movie to takr place 95% on earth!

My main attraction to this is the cosmic angle, so it's great to hear that's a bigger focus than the trailers show.
We've known for a while how much cosmic it'll be. It will be Space 50/50 Earth.

"In terms of Earth versus Space, it's more or less 50-50," Schwartz told ComicBook.com during the Captain Marvel set visit. "The movie starts in space gets to Earth relatively quickly and it goes back to space for kind of some of the third act. So it's kind of space Earth space. There is a big Earth plot that ends up tying into a lot of our more cosmic goings on."

Jan 10, 2018
I really hope it's good, and I'll see it, but it does feel like early impressions of Marvel films are filled out via a template

One could say they follow a formula *badumtsh*. Joking aside, got the same problem. A general problem with big american franchises and the review culture around them. They never really tell you if its any good.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tony's "sickness" is nothing more than something to keep him busy. It's not about his relationship with his father, or his legacy as the film only briefly touches on it. Vanko is presumed dead through most of the movie after the race track, so Tony's journey certainly has fuck all to do with that. It's not about the government wanting to wrangle the Iron Man suit as part of its official arsenal since Tony can't be asked to acknowledge it after that first courtroom scene.

There is absolutely no measure of thematic consistency in that movie.

Meanwhile 3 is pretty explicitly about America's relationship with terrorism and the media, and Tony himself coming to terms with his own self-worth in a far more complicated world - an element of his character that has remained consistent in just about every appearance afterward.
Anyone that seriously says that Iron Man 2 is better than Iron Man 3 (regardless of the stupid backlash) needs to tell me what happens at the end of that movie. Because i remember nothing from it and i remember lots from Iron Man 1. Other then the race track scene. Well i remember a lot from 3 and it showcased a lot of awesome moments in terms of action and emotion.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Anyone that seriously says that Iron Man 2 is better than Iron Man 3 (regardless of the stupid backlash) needs to tell me what happens at the end of that movie. Because i remember nothing from it and i remember lots from Iron Man 1. Other then the race track scene. Well i remember a lot from 3 and it showcased a lot of awesome moments in terms of action and emotion.
The most interesting thing about Iron Man 2 that isn't Sam Rockwell or that courtroom scene where Tony tells the government off is a scene they retconned into being Peter Parker's first MCU appearance.

Rest of the movie is a waste of time.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
One could say they follow a formula *badumtsh*. Joking aside, got the same problem. A general problem with big american franchises and the review culture around them. They never really tell you if its any good.
Almost like they're telling you why they enjoyed/liked something and can't read your mind to specifically cater to your tastes of what qualifies as "any good"

Jan 10, 2018
Almost like they're telling you why they enjoyed/liked something and can't read your mind to specifically cater to your tastes of what qualifies as "any good"

Proper criticism tells you what is used, how its used and to which effect. I fully agree with you, popcorn moviegoers just want to know how the burger tasted on a scale between 1 and 5. But as we both pointed out, that is just my problem and I'm in the well deserved minority. Praise Disney!

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Proper criticism tells you what is used, how its used and to which effect. I fully agree with you, popcorn moviegoers just want to know how the burger tasted on a scale between 1 and 5. But as we both pointed out, that is just my problem and I'm in the well deserved minority. Praise Disney!
These aren't reviews. They're brief impressions on Twitter while reviews themselves are coming in 2 weeks. There will be plenty of critical pieces about the film after it's actually out.

So far, the movie seems to be entertaining enough.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Twitter isn't exactly the place to look for proper in-depth criticism. Full reviews and post-release articles is where you get that

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Looking forward to it. The last couple MCU films have felt a bit rote (Gaurdians 2, Homecoming, Ragnarok and Infinity War (BP excluded) so I'm hoping this breaks the slump these movies have been in for me.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Looking forward to it. The last couple MCU films have felt a bit rote (Gaurdians 2, Homecoming, Ragnarok and Infinity War (BP excluded) so I'm hoping this breaks the slump these movies have been in for me.
Misunderstood this post at first and wanted to give you a shout out ...but I'm actually opposite of this.

Guardians 2, Homecoming, Ragnarok and Infinity War are exactly what I needed from Marvel. Black Panther was great but it falls into the Marvel formula just a bit too much.

My hope is that Captain Marvel is one of the weirder Marvel movies like Ragnorok.

Last edited:

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phase 3 has pretty much been a streak of perfection that completely defies all odds. The worst film has been Doctor Strange, and that's just a "someone has to come in last place" thing.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Rey in the cave snapping her fingers-esque weird to describe this film is only the most hyped I've been for it.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doctor Strange>Ant Man and Wasp
It's true

I just watched all of the MCU films over the last week (why did i do that??) and these were the four I had the hardest time getting through without checking out:

Incredible Hulk
Ant-Man & the Wasp
Thor 2
Black Panther

The last sounds like I'm just trolling but I'm serious. I like 50% of Black Panther but the other 50% really drags for me.

I was surprised that I found myself enjoying films like Iron Man 2 more now than I did back in the day. Dr. Strange is very watachable even though it's pretty middle-road.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to the film.
Even though I haven't been a fan of the trailers.

Been waiting years for Captain Marvel!

Oct 28, 2017
Cool. Cosmic Marvel movies have been the best Marvel movies. Haven't seen too many impressions regarding Brie's performance though.... am I just missing those?

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that a thing? Alita is pretty much a balls-to-the-walls girl power movie. She absolutely wrecks the male antagonists in the movie.

It's very much a thing. As far as I can tell it's mostly because brie Larson said that thing she said. It triggered the man children real hard apparently, so now some are using Alita as how to do strong female characters properly or something

Last edited: