• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, it will be one of these shitshow movies.
If you call it bad people will call you sexist just like it was racist with Black Panther.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Except for people who like Slapstick. They deserve to be shunned.

Hell no SlapStick is great.

Awesome_Slapstick_1_3711.jpg

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
RE: The fake review thing.

Having a woman as a lead in these sorts of movies always riles up a section of nerd culture. Their real world rejection by women means that they grow up with an inner resentment towards them.

Having women take these lead roles makes them feel like their world and culture is being invaded by outsiders. There's that feeling from them that women don't belong.

It's all sadly predictable.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you call it bad people will call you sexist just like it was racist with Black Panther.

This isn't exactly true. It's not for disliking the movie that you would be called racist or sexist, but why you dislike the movie that may be. This isn't exactly unfamiliar territory, either.

When Doctor Who announced it was finally having a female Doctor, the shit flinging was insane. You had people decrying the show before it even aired, saying it was ruining the franchise for no reason other than a woman was now the main character.

This is no different. I've seen on many forums and even from people I know personally that people believe this should be about the guy Captain Marvel and some have even said she should be called Ms. Marvel instead. Do you have any idea how insulting that is?

It's like half the fucking planet wants to ruin this moment for women.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Me and my friends have watched all of the MCU movies multiple times at the cinema and will probably watch this one 2 or 3 times too. Being a big superhero / comic book fan, seeing these movies brought to life on the big screen is amazing to me.

Unless Marvel Studio's start making big errors and the quality massively drops, I'll keep watching them multiple times for sure. They are a great time at the movies, if you want an a big, loud, entertaining, SFX blockbuster movie.

I just can't do it! Haha. I have no problem with people getting in on that approach, but it's enough to let me know we are on different wave lengths. Along with talk of chills, tearing up, cheering etc in basically any blockbuster film. These films just don't impact me on that level. Media rarely does.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My source tells me it's good, in a First Avenger/Thor 1 kind of way, and surprisingly character driven (considering how "cosmic" the storyline is). But she didn't feel Carol got anything on Alita as an empowering female lead. Take that as you will (she REALLY liked Alita, so that's not necessarily a bad thing).

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't exactly true. It's not for disliking the movie that you would be called racist or sexist, but why you dislike the movie that may be. This isn't exactly unfamiliar territory, either.

When Doctor Who announced it was finally having a female Doctor, the shit flinging was insane. You had people decrying the show before it even aired, saying it was ruining the franchise for no reason other than a woman was now the main character.

This is no different. I've seen on many forums and even from people I know personally that people believe this should be about the guy Captain Marvel and some have even said she should be called Ms. Marvel instead. Do you have any idea how insulting that is?

It's like half the fucking planet wants to ruin this moment for women.
I agree with you, It's just that discussing this movie will be god awful.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
My source tells me it's good, in a First Avenger/Thor 1 kind of way, and surprisingly character driven (considering how "cosmic" the storyline is). But she didn't feel Carol got anything on Alita as an empowering female lead. Take that as you will (she REALLY liked Alita, so that's not necessarily a bad thing).
That is good but the framing that Alita is more empowering than Carol kinda sucks. It reminds me of how people were trying to pit Wonder Woman vs Captain Marvel, this isn't zero sum game and they are both aimed at empowering women. I don't think that is the way your friend was trying to make it come across but that is what I read into it (which might be my own fault).

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
a Skrull is getting high praise?

That excites me, I legit expected them to be the chitauri of the movie.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That is good but the framing that Alita is more empowering than Carol kinda sucks. It reminds me of how people were trying to pit Wonder Woman vs Captain Marvel, this isn't zero sum game and they are both aimed at empowering women. I don't think that is the way your friend was trying to make it come across but that is what I read into it (which might be my own fault).

It's definitely not a zero sum game, but it doesn't have to be. Having choice means some choices are better than others; we all get to say we find Batman more empowering than Superman or that we prefer Spider Man to Iron Man. And honestly her comment was just in those terms: she didn't say Alita is a better female role model, but that Alita for her was full of "fuck yeah you go girl fuck up their shit" moments. Fist pumping stuff, maybe just... better action? As it should be.

We'll get more and more and more and more female lead movies. Some will be better, some will be worse. Just like we do for male led movies. A female led movie doesn't have to be a manifesto to have a right to exist. It doesn't have to prove anything. It doesn't have to be the "next big moment in civil rights". It's just a movie, and it's female led, and it doesn't have to ask anybody permission or be "worthy".

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect much from the trailers. Not bad but a serviceable film from Marvel, it's good to hear it's better.

Also that First Avenger comparison is really exciting to me since that was low key the best character film in Phase One.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Speaking of other recent blockbuster leads:
-Bumblebee
-Alita
-Captain Marvel
-Spider-Gwen is def getting her movie now

any other good ones coming up? i'm so happy my daughter is going to have so many awesome movies geared for her

Nov 3, 2017
So I haven't really followed nerd culture in a while, and just looked up CM on YouTube, and wow, there is an entire sub industry of people making their living off anti feminist nerd culture outrage. God that sounds like such a boring and unfulfilling life

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I just want more than 60-70% of it to NOT be a boring "flashback/origin story". Gimme the good stuff.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I like Ben Mendelsohn, I didn't expect him to be a standout in this film. Glad to hear he is though.

I feel like Captain Marvel will be the MCU film with most surprises in it, and I'm feeling really good about this release.

Oct 25, 2017

It's not for disliking the movie, but how the opinion is conveyed that gets a poster called out. It generally involves large amounts of fucking stupidity, inability to critique movies and/or sexism/racism.

For example, saying:
"I thought Black Panther/Wonder Woman had poor CG and some pacing issues and so I didn't enjoy it much."

...is different than saying:
"Well actually, if you ignore the cultural importance, it's just an overrated movie."

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
It's definitely not a zero sum game, but it doesn't have to be. Having choice means some choices are better than others; we all get to say we find Batman more empowering than Superman or that we prefer Spider Man to Iron Man. And honestly her comment was just in those terms: she didn't say Alita is a better female role model, but that Alita for her was full of "fuck yeah you go girl fuck up their shit" moments. Fist pumping stuff, maybe just... better action? As it should be.

We'll get more and more and more and more female lead movies. Some will be better, some will be worse. Just like we do for male led movies. A female led movie doesn't have to be a manifesto to have a right to exist. It doesn't have to prove anything. It doesn't have to be the "next big moment in civil rights". It's just a movie, and it's female led, and it doesn't have to ask anybody permission or be "worthy".
Could not agree more, just wanted to voice my opinion because in the past I have seen people try to pit female led movies against each other just because they are female led instead of their actual quality.
-Bumblebee
-Alita
-Captain Marvel

any other good ones coming up? i'm so happy my daughter is going to have so many awesome movies geared for her
Black Widow next year, Harley Quinn movie (idk if you're daughter is old enough for that), Frozen 2, Marvel's Eternal movie next year is supposed to be female led.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Could not agree more, just wanted to voice my opinion because in the past I have seen people try to pit female led movies against each other just because they are female led instead of their actual quality.

Black Widow next year, Harley Quinn movie (idk if you're daughter is old enough for that), Frozen 2, Marvel's Eternal movie next year is supposed to be female led.
Don't forget Wonder Woman! It's in 2020 but still -- good role model right there!

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a Skrull is getting high praise?

That excites me, I legit expected them to be the chitauri of the movie.

I'm expecting the total opposite myself. It feels a lot like we're going in from the perspective that the Kree are the good guys and the Skrull are the bad guys, but as the movie progresses the tables are turned entirely.

In fact I'd be surprised if Carol's line about not fighting their war but ending it isn't directed at a Skrull asking her to help them defeat the Kree.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm expecting the total opposite myself. It feels a lot like we're going in from the perspective that the Kree are the good guys and the Skrull are the bad guys, but as the movie progresses the tables are turned entirely.

In fact I'd be surprised if Carol's line about not fighting their war but ending it isn't directed at a Skrull asking her to help them defeat the Kree.

I haven't read much Cap Marvel and Kree material, but I was expecting more of a "both sides are monsters" deal and she decides to shut it all down.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Fuck me. Just got spoiled on a cameo in this movie on the first page 😑

Anyway, glad to hear the positive reactions. Though I'd still watch this movie opening weekend regardless

-Bumblebee
-Alita
-Captain Marvel

Same.
Makes for an easy Daddy-Daughter date with my little lady.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read much Cap Marvel and Kree material, but I was expecting more of a "both sides are monsters" deal and she decides to shut it all down.

All I know about the Skrull is they fought the Fantastic Four a few times and one of them was genetically engineered to have all their powers, but the Kree clearly suck.

Going by Ronan's comments in Guardians of the Galaxy, they were nasty people until they were forced to play nice by the Xandarians. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were Skrull hiding on other worlds because they just wanted to be left alone to live in peace and the Kree were hunting them.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
140 character impressions really are a Rorschach test where people read into the meaning behind what the words *really* mean to see whatever they want.

glowing praise = biased fanboy shilling
stating both strengths and flaws = mixed at best, fanboys trying to make excuses for a messy movie at worst
no glowing praise but non-emotion driven breakdown = biggest piece of trash ever

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
140 character impressions really are a Rorschach test where people read into the meaning behind what the words *really* mean to see whatever they want.
Bro, we've been at 280 character since 2017
Same with Wonder Woman and SW Episode 8.

There will be a huge vocal group of dumbasses who genuinely just want to spread hate and everyone else who just had critical problems with the film will be automatically lumped in with them because that's much easier for defenders of the film to argue against than addressing any actual problems the film might have.

Wonder Woman, Black Panther and The Last Jedi are all thoroughly mediocre movies for various reasons, none of which have anything to do with the cast at all.

Last edited: