• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Has there ever been negative early reactions to Marvel movies? I'm pretty cautious about this. I expect a fun flick, but have to say the trailers mostly gave me the idea I'm less and less interested in Marvel movies. Doesn't help Infinity War was a disapointment for me, while BP suffered from a lackluster third act, while Ant-Man and the Wasp was 'Marvel Movie by the books' (wasn't bad, just so utterly forgetable).

Of course I'm going to watch Captain Marvel. I'm invested now, so even if every single Marvel film would turn out disapointing from now on, I would be in the grips of Stockholm Syndrome for a while. Really hope Captain Marvel is something amazing though.

All of the marvel movies have been good since these types of Twitter impression screening started. So no, because all the movies have been really good.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Every Marvel movie reviews well, so I don't know why people always act skeptical of positive social impressions. Doesn't mean *you* will like the movie necessarily, but I feel like positive pre-review social impressions tend to track pretty consistently with positive reviews. As far as MCU movies go at least.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I'll echo that this isn't a gaggle of fanboys, so let's stop with the 'first impressions are always positive' tripe.

I'm glad the reaction is positive, even among critics who are a bit more harsh than others. Not surprised at all that Ben Mendelsohn is great, and it looks like the MCU has another solid villain. I'm interested to see what they mean by 'wasn't what I was expecting.'

Can't wait to see it, going for my birthday next month.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Every Marvel movie reviews well, so I don't know why people always act skeptical of positive social impressions. Doesn't mean *you* will like the movie necessarily, but I feel like positive pre-review social impressions tend to track pretty consistently with positive reviews. As far as MCU movies go at least.

They know how to make a good movie at this point so like you say, there's not really any reason to be skeptical.

Very much looking forward to it, and glad that it is slightly different and the vibes are good! Roll on a crazy two months for marvel movies!

Oct 25, 2017
Fan impressions don't mean anything until critics trash actual shit like Venom. Then suddenly the word "fun" is somehow valid and sincere.

Meanwhile, these are not even fan impressions.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
All of the marvel movies have been good since these types of Twitter impression screening started. So no, because all the movies have been really good.

That's just not true imo. Some have been really good, some were just okay and forgetable, and IW was imo mediocre at best. But I'm under the impression all of them have had these very positive early reactions. It's not only Marvel either. You see these at every tentpole movie, even those who end up being not really good too.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Why do these bigots always see politics in everything? They're fantasy movies. Fictional characters.

giphy.gif

I look forward to witnessing the schadenfreude when it makes almost a billion dollars.
The thing is, they don't act like aiming to make movies (or games) for white, straight males is also political. It was just done so much, some white people forget it is, or refuse to see it that way. It's kinda like how Republican politicians are always crying foul on Dems for going political. Well, NO FUCK, Republicans's agendas are political TOO. If being political means trying to level the playing field for everybody, what's wrong with that? Sure better than catering to ONE, fragile snowflake-of-a-base!

They're gonna go overboard af with the 90s nostalgia aren't they.
As long as they do it right, I don't mind. My problem with period set movies has nothing to do with nostalgia and more to do with bad nostalgia/representing that era more like Pintrest page/nostalgic parody than trying to actually make it feel like that era. With the recent past, IMO, there's NO excuse to do that. Those that lived through the 80s and 90s REMEMBER how that time was (it's not this "ancient times that everybody forgot". That being said, the MCU's been good at handling "other eras".

Last edited:

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
That's just not true imo. Some have been really good, some were just okay and forgetable, and IW was imo mediocre at best. But I'm under the impression all of them have had these very positive early reactions. It's not only Marvel either. You see these at every tentpole movie, even those who end up being not really good too.

It's fine if you don't like them but the vast majority of people and critics do. Hence all the positive reactions and high RT scores.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
That's just not true imo. Some have been really good, some were just okay and forgetable, and IW was imo mediocre at best.

For sure, no one should tell your opinion is wrong.

But it's generally considered by audiences and critics that all of Phase 3 has been good. You can obviously disagree with that but it lines up with the public and critics.

But I'm under the impression all of them have had these very positive early reactions. It's not only Marvel either. You see these at every tentpole movie, even those who end up being not really good too.

Simply not true.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/venom-social-media-reactions.72220/

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
You are in the vast minority re: Infinity War, but even that aside, you've not been paying attention to DC reaction threads, as well as others, if you think these movies get universal praise, even this early out.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I just saw a youtube video titled "THE MEDIA IS LYING TO YOU ABOUT CAPTAIN MARVEL."

ac939e9cf35f3abbd3d29da71822fac3.gif

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I just saw a youtube video titled "THE MEDIA IS LYING TO YOU ABOUT CAPTAIN MARVEL."

He's basing it on the review embargo. The embargo is the 5th because the premiere is on the 4th. The premiere is on the 4th because of the Oscars. The Oscars are on Sunday, but Hollywood Blvd can't host a premiere the week after due to the tear down. So the first date that was available was the fourth.

There can be no premieres since the street in front of the theaters is shut down for nearly two weeks due to the Oscars setup and then tear-down.

Last edited:

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine if you don't like them but the vast majority of people and critics do. Hence all the positive reactions and high RT scores.
For sure, no one should tell your opinion is wrong.

But it's generally considered by audiences and critics that all of Phase 3 has been good. You can obviously disagree with that but it lines up with the public and critics.

Simply not true.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/venom-social-media-reactions.72220/

Of course it's my opinion. That's the point right? I'm kind of wary about these reactions, because before they often didn't line up with my opinion. I like Marvel movies btw, I just can't help but feel that lately I've left the theater more and more disapointed after them. I had a good time with most of them, but afterwards I forget them really quick and I can't help but think 'that was it?'. (The one exception was IW, which I didn't enjoy at all.)

And I don't dispute there are some negative Twitter reactions for terrible films from time to time too, but I can't shake the impression that generally speaking most of these are on the positive side, no matter what.

Anyway, I'll be there for Captain Marvel and I truly hope it's an amazing Marvel-movie.

Amathene

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is sounding to be the best Marvel movie yet. I was slightly worried about the challenge of introducing Carol this late in the game but it sounds like it's all good.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
You are in the vast minority re: Infinity War, but even that aside, you've not been paying attention to DC reaction threads, as well as others, if you think these movies get universal praise, even this early out.

Look, I'll admit I haven't seen Aquaman yet because it reviewed not well, especially not here in Europe (and didn't interest me that much to begin with), but if you went to the Impressions-thread you would think DC had a masterpiece on their hands. (Granted, it did bonkers at the BO, so wisdom of the crowds and all)

Oct 25, 2017
It's pro-woman without being overdone

What the hell does this mean?

Is the film taking notes from actual 90s films and having some dumb "I can beat up people too, take that men" scene? Or is any movie with a good character that is a woman "pro-woman" these days? And how can that be overdone?

Yeah. I commiserate with the people who felt underwhelmed by the trailers, but aside from a few recent ones that's been the case for a lot of the MCU films, and I've liked them all to varying degrees regardless.

I'm sure this will be a solid flick like Ant-Man at the least.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've been watching some Alita related videos on youtube the last couple of days. And apparently youtube took that as a sign that I wanted to see videos by GG/alt right type people praising Alita while shitting on Captain Marvel

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Look, I'll admit I haven't seen Aquaman yet because it reviewed not well, especially not here in Europe (and didn't interest me that much to begin with), but if you went to the Impressions-thread you would think DC had a masterpiece on their hands. (Granted, it did bonkers at the BO, so wisdom of the crowds and all)

Wait, you didn't see Aquaman yet you're claiming those Tweets are false? Those are all completely accurate.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Is the film taking notes from actual 90s films and having some dumb "I can beat up people too, take that men" scene? Or is any movie with a good character that is a woman "pro-woman" these days? And how can that be overdone?

Yeah. I commiserate with the people who felt underwhelmed by the trailers, but aside from a few recent ones that's been the case for a lot of the MCU films, and I've liked them all to varying degrees regardless.

mary suing the shit ouf carol will be overdoing it

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Um, the majority of those quotes are true though?

No one is saying it's citizen kane either

Chaitanya

Dec 23, 2017
Seems like it won't be as good as bp, winter soldier, civil war or iw but more like ant man, homecoming etc which is fine. Just a hunch based on my understanding of twitter reactions for several other movies.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, you didn't see Aquaman yet you're claiming those Tweets are false? Those are all completely accurate.
Um, the majority of those quotes are true though?

No one is saying it's citizen kane either

I admit being on thin ice here by not seeing the movie, but generally speaking Aquaman isn't really a well-reviewed movie is it? And it has been absolutely blasted by (European/Belgian) movie critics I generally line up with in terms of opinion. (Hence I didn't bother to go see it in cinema's.) These tweets are raving, which doesn't line up with the critical consensus (55 metacritic, yeah, it's not a good metric, but it shows how well a movie is received imo)...

And even when movies are generally well-received, there is often a discrepancy between the tone of the tweets, and the quality of the movie/ reviews coming out afterwards (three stars out of five is regarded as a good review, but not a raving one, for instance) .

Again, like I said to other posters before, it's of course my personal opinion that often doesn't line up with these type of raving tweets about Marvel-movies. That's why I'm wary about these. I went into theaters to many times expecting something as amazing as my favourite superhero flicks, and coming out disapointed.

And I'll repeat: I'm looking forward to Captain Marvel. I just temper my expectations these days.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've been watching some Alita related videos on youtube the last couple of days. And apparently youtube took that as a sign that I wanted to see videos by GG/alt right type people praising Alita while shitting on Captain Marvel

Is that a thing? Alita is pretty much a balls-to-the-walls girl power movie. She absolutely wrecks the male antagonists in the movie.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I think this needs to be better than Ant-Man, to be honest. Ant-Man is a fun little comedy but it's clearly a B-tier movie in the big MCU picture (doesn't mean it's a worse movie, but just different in scope).

I think this need to aim at being Iron Man 1/First Soldier/Civil War tier at least. She's been touted as a big character, she's probably going to be the Steve Rogers of the next 10 years. It needs to be big.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

You ever see a piece of media that is trying so hard to be woke that it ends up overshadowing the story they are trying to tell?

To compare recent Marvel comics, Ms. Marvel and Squirril Girl both have female leads, tons of minority and lgbtq representation, body positivity, and a positive social justice message that tackles real world issues. Those books use these things to tell fun and engagind stories.

Then you've got something like America Chávez, which also has all the things I mentioned those other two having, but in this case the book is basically ABOUT wokeness, and it can't tell a cohesive story because it won't stop beating you over the head with that message, and thus the book is boring to read.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Is this the first Marvel movie to feature a cat?
I can't remember cats in any of the other movies.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the first Marvel movie to feature a cat?
I can't remember cats in any of the other movies.

I believe that one shop guy in Homecoming has a cat. Peter pets it on his way out.

Cats have been at least mentioned in:

Thor
Iron Man 3
Ant-Man
Civil War
Black Panther
Ant-Man and the Wasp

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Dogs

On the other hand Dogs have appeared in:

Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Thor