• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh come on. Every second of aqua man we have seen is truly awful. The acting, the sfx, the writing, everything is terrible from what we have seen. There are fair criticisms to level at the captain marvel trailers so far, but in no world does this looks anywhere close to aquaman.
I have very little interest in Fishman, but honestly that thing looks more appealing to me. At least that movie decidedly has a more interesting aesthetic than the usual bland-ass Marvel greyness we see here.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Loved Sam and the helmet reveal. This looks decent. Hopefully it ends up being insanely awesome.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Her voice...it seems to cutesy for someone trying to be a bad ass.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I understand judging the movie off the trailer, but I have a feeling there is a lot of twist that tied to the next part of MCU in this movie. Probably ties into Adam Warlock too i bet

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I understand judging the movie off the trailer, but I have a feeling there is a lot of twist that tied to the next part of MCU in this movie. Probably ties into Adam Warlock too i bet

I would be absolutely shocked if Adam Warlock had anything to do with this movie considering it's a prequel set way, way, way before Guardians 2.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks kind of boring and by-the-numbers, especially after we've gotten more recent Marvel films that were laden with style and/or personality (Guardians, Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther). This seems kind of bland and stiff.

I look at this trailer and I'm just totally uninterested in learning or exploring the mysterious backstory of the main character. I think people are kinda tired of "origin" films, even for new headlining heroes.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
space scenes seem cool, nothing else really stands out.

other than de-aged Sam Jackson I guess

Oct 25, 2017
Got to be honest, the trailer sucked.
I think the film will be fine, but the trailers for it are just...bad.

Oh come on. Every second of aqua man we have seen is truly awful. The acting, the sfx, the writing, everything is terrible from what we have seen. There are fair criticisms to level at the captain marvel trailers so far, but in no world does this looks anywhere close to aquaman.

Aquaman actually looks like a fun time. It's hardly in the realm of "awful".

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That actually made the Aquaman trailer look good. I hope the movie is better than what the trailer shows off.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
This part of Nerdist's report is reassuring. Although they've said again and again that her sassy-ness and humor will translate to the movie.

In the comics, Carol is known for her whip smart humor and sure-footedness, which according to Larson is not something that she'll be losing in the adaptation. "I think she has an ego, but in a healthy way," Larson said. "She doesn't have an unrealistic expectation of herself. She just owns that she's really good and really skilled, which feels good to play. She also has an incredible sense of humor, makes fun of herself, makes fun of other people, and has no issue if someone makes fun of her."

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling a bit ambivalent about this, like how I felt about Ant Man, which I still haven't watched. (i know, i know, it's supposed to be fine).

I'm sure I'll be watching this one though.

(oh yeah, I haven't seen Doctor Strange either...)

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man it seems like all trailers are cut the same boring safe way these days.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Brie says this is probably the most dynamic character she's ever played, so that'll be interesting to see.

We'll see. She's done some real good work in the past, and I find it hard to believe that a superhero movie will eclipse any of that. But hey, hopefully they do let her use the full range of her talent.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Everything about this character seems so bland to me compared to all the other MCU characters

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018

Aquaman looks much more interesting my dude, I felt I was watching a gender-swapped Green Lantern 2011 trailer right now.

Try using "I" next time instead of "we", you're speaking for no one but yourself.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Everything about this character seems so bland to me compared to all the other MCU characters

One of the big problems with Carol Danvers is that most of her personality traits (conservative, pretty much constantly fucking up and making things worse for herself and others, extremely opinionated to a fault) are abrasive and kind of unlikeable, and most of those traits are very likely being scrubbed out of her MCU iteration.

This could have one of two results: it could rehabilitate Carol into a character people actually like, the same way the MCU rehabilitated Tony Stark...or it could render her as bland as the post-Reeve live-action Supermen by filing all of her burrs off without replacing them with anything else.

drog

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

I have not liked any of the DCEU movies at all and am a fan of most Marvel movies and even I have to say that Aquaman does look much more interesting than Captain Marvel.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
It doesn't look very good, though that's par for the course with these Marvel movies

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have very little interest in Fishman, but honestly that thing looks more appealing to me. At least that movie decidedly has a more interesting aesthetic than the usual bland-ass Marvel greyness we see here.
Marvel Greyness? Either you are a dog or I hate to breakt it to you you are colorblind dude.

I can't believe how many don't get the cold deliveries by Brie out of these parts .. which won't be an issue if a man would be icecold.

Other critcism? "Her voice is too cute to be a badass" aw man combining this with the "she doesn't smile on the poster" we have the whole gang of awful takes onboard against female action leads.

Of course "the movie looks like a tv show" is not allowed to be missing, because someones head would explode if he at least couldn't post in every mcu trailer thread.

The movie will have his issues and I get some of the actual crticism, but so far Marvel has delivered on the fun side of things. This also looks like a fun flick.

I bet the cold deliveries will be even explained in the movie.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still going to watch this movie but wow minus Carol going Binary this trailer didn't do much for me. I just hope it's not another Dr.Strange.

Oct 30, 2017
I just have overall Marvel fatigue I think.

I'll still watch the movies but I don't think any of them of late are that good
Even Black Panther everyone was raving about I thought was average at best

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
I understand how people won't get super excited for this trailer. I didn't feel the non "Step up to the spotlight" trailer for Black Panther at all and still loved the movie.

The "generic" comments and "looks like a marvel movie" are unfair as well. It is part of a universe, it has an established feel, you have watched like 20 of these over the course of 10 years...it better damn well feel familiar. If it was completely different how can it exist with everyone else? It's like...Black Panther was different? It was as Marvel as Marvel gets...he fought basically an "evil clone" of himself at the end for Gods sake.

There will be differences in her character, and like when people used to say Dr strange and Tony Stark were clones...it won't be until you see their interactions with each other when you realize how wrong you were. Marvel has 10 years of goodwill to bank on.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I understand how people won't get super excited for this trailer. I didn't feel the non "Step up to the spotlight" trailer for Black Panther at all and still loved the movie.

The "generic" comments and "looks like a marvel movie" are unfair as well. It is part of a universe, it has an established feel, you have watched like 20 of these over the course of 10 years...it better damn well feel familiar. If it was completely different how can it exist with everyone else? It's like...Black Panther was different? It was as Marvel as Marvel gets...he fought basically an "evil clone" of himself at the end for Gods sake.

There will be differences in her character, and like when people used to say Dr strange and Tony Stark were clones...it won't be until you see their interactions with each other when you realize how wrong you were. Marvel has 10 years of goodwill to bank on.

I'm willing to put down money that the final fight in this movie is going to be Carol vs. Jude Law.

doinkies

Jun 20, 2018
This part of Nerdist's report is reassuring. Although they've said again and again that her sassy-ness and humor will translate to the movie.

Seems pretty obvious that there is indeed more than the trailers show, that her "flat" lines are indicative of Carol having been brainwashed and that she'll regain more of her old carefree personality when she ends up remembering who she really is.

But nah obviously she's just a boring doink! /s

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're right, it's not close. Aquaman was at least interesting.

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like an interesting story, hopefully no fate of the world shit. No idea how you could look at a half alien woman blasting through space on fire shooting laser beams and say "looks generic."

SaiyanRaoh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I won't say the name of this person as I'm sure he doesn't have a platform here but it's like watching a block of wood trying to act.
My excitement for seeing this has tanked.

Oct 27, 2017

the new captain marvel trailer but "survivor" by destiny's child (epic version) plays in the background instead. you're welcome.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Both trailers haven't been good. It's also going to feel completely unearned when she saves the day in A4 as she didnt exist in the MCU until a month earlier.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I know the visual effects are probably not final, but those energy blasts also looked pretty bad.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to put down money that the final fight in this movie is going to be Carol vs. Jude Law.

I think that's too obvious. He's clearly painted as antagonistic in the trailer, which I think is a red herring - she takes her name from him after all, so I think it's more likely he's the "mentor that dies" and passes on the title of Captain Mar-Vell to her.

It would be weird for her to take on his name if he, like, sides with Ronan and defects, forcing her to kill him.

I think they'll just stick with Ronan being the actual big bad. They're really not going to pull a Sinestro with Jude Law when there are already too many Green Lantern comparisons as it is.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's too obvious. He's clearly painted as antagonistic in the trailer, which I think is a red herring - she takes her name from him after all, so I think it's more likely he's the "mentor that dies" and passes on the title of Captain Mar-Vell to her.

It would be weird for her to take on his name if he, like, sides with Ronan and defects, forcing her to kill him.

I think they'll just stick with Ronan being the actual big bad. They're really not going to pull a Sinestro with Jude Law when there are already too many Green Lantern comparisons as it is.

Watch Jude Law end up being another mentor that does bad shit but for the greater good, Doctor Strange / Ancient One style.