• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
You mean Junkyard Planet and Asgard, the two most prominent locations in the movie?

This is what the entirety of the film's third act looked like

thor_ragnarok_trailer_still_3.jpg

Give me a fucking break.

That shot wasn't even used in the final film, LMAO.

Hulk was busy fighting the giant wolf and was not in the team up shot shown above.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
"The allegedly colorful Thor: Raganarok."

* Specifically searches Google for close-up images of characters talking in an alleyway to make my point *

This is one of the more disingenuous posts I've seen in a while.

You could try countering his argument with actual stills y'know, instead of lazily going "DISINGENUOUS BAD FAAAAITH"

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Still not feeling this one, neither trailer has really been all that impressive. That said I'm not the biggest fan of the comic character in general, but I expected the advertisements to wow, and they just don't have the same "pop" I usually expect.

I'll certainly be there opening weekend to see it because I enjoy these movies but I'm more interested in how the next Avengers will come together with her than this solo film. Something about it just looks off and I'm not really sure what, it has that Green Lantern and vibe to it or something. And Brie Larson as an amazing actress but I'm starting to wonder if maybe she's not the best fit for this role, every line she's had has been really awkward or bad in delivery.

I can't really blame it on the writings either, the lines are genericish but fine, just something about her delivery seems off. I guess we'll see in the final product.

I feel the same way point for point with your post. I'm trying to think back and figure out if any other marvel movie had 2 underwhelming trailers and still ended up amazing. Best I can think of is maybe Iron Man 1. Does anyone know?

I'm also trying to figure out what these trailers are doing so wrong and what the Wonder Woman trailers did so right to be more appealing and exciting.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
If an argument is disingenuous, I'm not going to go back and forth with someone. He knows it is dishonest to make a statement like "the supposedly colorful Thor: Ragnarok."

You're only making it seem like he's right when you hide behind ERA buzzwords like "disingenuous", "bad faith" and "dishonest". No point in discussing anything with anyone if you're just going to handwave an opinion you don't like as any of the above buzzwords.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Folks, I hope you realize you're ripping each other apart over the color pallette of a different movie than the one featured in this trailer.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Still not feeling this one, neither trailer has really been all that impressive. That said I'm not the biggest fan of the comic character in general, but I expected the advertisements to wow, and they just don't have the same "pop" I usually expect.

I'll certainly be there opening weekend to see it because I enjoy these movies but I'm more interested in how the next Avengers will come together with her than this solo film. Something about it just looks off and I'm not really sure what, it has that Green Lantern and vibe to it or something. And Brie Larson as an amazing actress but I'm starting to wonder if maybe she's not the best fit for this role, every line she's had has been really awkward or bad in delivery.

I can't really blame it on the writings either, the lines are genericish but fine, just something about her delivery seems off. I guess we'll see in the final product.

I thought the first teaser was great but Larson comes across as too serious and seems a little wooden outside of the "I'm going to end it!" line in this trailer. Reminded me of Ronda Rousey's acting a bit, although that's probably a little too harsh

We'll see how the final product is.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the first teaser was great but Larson comes across as too serious and seems a little wooden outside of the "I'm going to end it!" line in this trailer. Reminded me of Ronda Rousey's acting a bit, although that's probably a little too harsh

We'll see how the final product is.

That's way, way too harsh. Larson is an award-nominated actress.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
That's way, way too harsh. Larson is an award-nominated actress.

Yeah, I rewatched it again a couple times after I posted that and it seems to be the editing of the trailer that gave me that impression.

I guess this trailer doesn't completely sell me on the character yet. I don't like the character as much as I thought I would before I saw the trailer.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's admittedly kinda off that we have a trailer for a Marvel movie and it's not even trying to be funny or charming. I guess we can't rely on Carol to quip her way through the movie.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Why is there GOAT Ragnarok slander in this thread?

Pretty much all the hooks for it are already in the trailers...it'd be pretty shocking if it didn't play out in a similar manner to this.

You want to hear my idea for how they could really fuck with everyone? The Carol we see on the Kree homeworld and the one we see on Earth are two entirely different characters. The Carol on Earth is a Skrull sleeper agent using her form as part of a deep cover infiltration and she's the one who takes out Fury's eye.[/QUOSTE]
Skrull Carol would be the swerve this film needs.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
Looks like the generic movie where you have a supersaiyan destroying alien ships in space and flying in cool poses.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the film actually had those color values in the film and these weren't promo shots to be used in print and media, you'd have a point. Maybe you have the contrast on your TV set really high? :P I'd trust the grabs from Blu-Ray.com over these.

All good my dude, tis the internet.

Shots grabbed from bluray:

fa2yjo.jpg
20ifdav.jpg
351d56b.jpg
312k0ib.jpg
281hbi8.jpg
fxfi9w.jpg
2hf1m3n.jpg

Fakto

Oct 26, 2017
My thought is the timeline is something like this:

- Carol has her plane crash, is kidnapped by the Kree and brainwashed/converted
- Jude Law trains her to be a Kree warrior
- Kree/Skrull war breaks out, Carol is dispatched to Earth, which is being used as a staging ground for one of the Skrull leaders
- While hunting Skrulls, Carol encounters Fury and they team up
- Ben Mendelsohn's character gets defeated, Carol finds out she's being deceived by the Kree
- At some point in the story, Fury gets betrayed by a Skrull sleeper agent and loses his eye
- Carol goes back to the Kree homeworld to find out the truth, finds out Jude Law is the one responsible for her memory wipe and forced conversion
- Dramatic third act fight
- Post-credits stinger of Carol calling Earth after receiving Fury's SOS, Coulson answers.
That's so accurate that you should put a spoiler tag on it ! ;)

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks like what people that like Zack Snyder's movies think Marvel movies look.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh a Marvel movie that looks like a Marvel movie. :(

Why can't it be totally new, yet familiar, yet not derivative in the slightest, yet well integrated in the established MCU, yet entirely fresh, yet faithful to its source material, yet fun and creative in a way that defies formula and convention, yet cohesive within the larger context of the Thanos plotline, yet untethered by predictable Marvel tropes, yet a worthy introduction to a character who will be integral to Infinity War 2 and the next phase of Marvel films, yet not reminiscent of Marvel at all...

I chuckled.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
It sounds like you'd be better off putting me on ignore. Feel free.

Sorry but I come to ERA to engage with people, not my style to use the Ignore or handwave opinions away with buzzwords when I don't agree with something. Anyway we're dangerously OT now, so to get back on track I'll just say hendersonhank post proves there's plenty of color to be found in Ragnarok.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Ragnarok has a really colourful art design but honestly I think the colour grading in the actual movie is a little darker and less vibrant than people may remember.

Jun 7, 2018
Thor is full of color, it's not GotG levels of color, but it's pretty vivid from what I remember. Why is this argument even happening?

EDIT: It appears that all the hand picked screenshots seem to only be parts of the films that happen to be drab while avoiding any scene with color or pop.

Last edited:

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Looks good I guess, though I'm not a fan of the mohawk.

Let's get this out of the way so we can move on to Kamala :V

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time an MCU trailer has unsold me on a movie.

After seeing the lengths the MCU has gone to embrace the ridiculous visuals of the comics I just hate seeing the Skrulls look like the generic alien race from [insert Sci-Fi show here] in the season where the budget got slashed in half.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a formula ive never seen in a marvel movie before

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I gotta say, I never understood people's critic about Marvel movies colors.
I think it helps make them look more.. grounded and real ?

DC movies, on the other hand, are absolutely horrible to watch in terms of colors. Everything has way too much contrast, especially Wonder Woman. What an ugly movie it was.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

DC movies, on the other hand, are absolutely horrible to watch in terms of colors. Everything has way too much contrast, especially Wonder Woman. What an ugly movie it was.

I liked WW, but I would agree about all of the other DC films.

Oct 27, 2017

BvS and MoS looks better than any movie Marvel has produced though.