• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to think and hope that the narrative of the story is non-linear throughout the whole movie.

The emphasis on both trailers of showing her falling and getting up in different times of her life make me think that we'll at least see some sort of parallels like that, but I'm thinking that maybe, besides Carol sort of having her memories screwed with and trying to piece together her past, there may be an element of her being outside of time or something like that and experiencing all moments of her life at the same time, sort of like Dolores from Westworld Season 1. It would explain her not aging/the time jump from CM to A4 (which is some sort of time shenanigans).
I forwarded your theory to Double Toasted (and a couple other sites; while giving credit) and they touched on it in their podcast.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks pretty good and the fire mohawk is cool, but Into the Spider-Verse has all of my superhero hype right now.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Looks really poor and had no real reason to do so. Maybe it's just the trailers but I didn't get a good feeling from this at all - especially since this is post infinity war so they know what a good trailer looks/ feels like

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
This is the first time an MCU trailer has unsold me on a movie.

After seeing the lengths the MCU has gone to embrace the ridiculous visuals of the comics I just hate seeing the Skrulls look like the generic alien race from [insert Sci-Fi show here] in the season where the budget got slashed in half.
That's... just what the Skrulls look like?

Like they're just green aliens with weird shins and pointy ears?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
BvS and MoS looks better than any movie Marvel has produced though.

My main thought after seeing BvS in the theatre was about how incredibly dark and muddy that film looked. It didn't improve upon repeated viewings. It's been a while since I've seen MoS but when I think about that movie all I think is grey and colourless.

FAKE EDIT:

Yeah I looked up screencaps of MoS and it looks exactly like I remember

man-of-steel-blu-ray-screenshot-0131481-I-824.jpg

man-of-steel-blu-ray-screenshot-0172987-I-824.jpg
man-of-steel-blu-ray-screenshot-0176200-I-824.jpg

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are bits of this that look great and I still have high hopes overall...

But damn those skrulls look rough onscreen. I know that's basically what they look like but I'm getting live action piccolo vibes and can't shake em. I'm sold on everything we've seen from Carol though, helmet phasing is cool and she's rocking the space battles. Hope we get the proper mohawk by A4.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
That's... just what the Skrulls look like?

Like they're just green aliens with weird shins and pointy ears?

The colours just don't seem bold enough. They should be at least Hulk-green. At least Gamora-green.

They just have that 'the comic book visuals would be too ridiculous' muting of their look, at least to my eyes.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I really don't think the Skrulls have translated super well from page to film.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The colours just don't seem bold enough. They should be at least Hulk-green. At least Gamora-green.

They just have that 'the comic book visuals would be too ridiculous' muting of their look, at least to my eyes.

Honestly, they kinda need to tone the look down because Skrulls having crumply chins just like Thanos would probably confuse less comic-savvy viewers.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Carol should have been introduced at the end of Phase 2. This movie feels like with a little "delay" in the MCU.

I dont know if this movie will outgross Wonder Woman.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
BvS and MoS looks better than any movie Marvel has produced though.
I think both of those movies are kinda ugly. Super desaturated and muddy, some really bad CGI (that entire Superman/Zod fight), and the camerawork during a lot of BvS' action scenes (thinking especially of the Doomsday fight and Batmobile chase) is a mess, which is funny given how much some people praise Snyder for at least being able to do action well.

A lot of Marvel's movies in the past have been shot very flatly (though I think this is sometimes worked in a weird way; like the flat lighting in the first Avengers actually helps the colors of the film pop more, even if it exposes the fakeness of the sets) but I think they've generally improved the last several years. Whereas the cinematography of Snyder's two movies just feels juvenile to me.

Carol should have been introduced at the end of Phase 2. This movie feels like with a little "delay" in the MCU.

I dont know if this movie will outgross Wonder Woman.
Whedon actually did want to bring in Carol at the end of Age of Ultron

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The effects aren't great, but damn it's good to see someone powerful in the MCU who is happy to wreck some shit.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I forwarded your theory to Double Toasted (and a couple other sites; while giving credit) and they touched on it in their podcast.

Oh cool. Thanks.

I was thinking of posting my theory to Reddit, but I felt there was too little evidence in the trailer and too much speculation for it to gain traction, but I really think a non-linear story in the MCU would be really well received, so I hope there is something more to this film that it appears on the surface.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, they kinda need to tone the look down because Skrulls having crumply chins just like Thanos would probably confuse less comic-savvy viewers.
It might have been good to play up the crumply chins since, and I just found this out due to learning about the Eternals, that the Skrulls we know were the result of the Deviant offshoot of the Eternals by Celestial experimentation.

Then given that Thanos is an Eternal with a sort of Deviant appearance, there is an interesting link that I never realized. I expect the Eternals movie to explore these sorts of connections because they could really blow the minds of comic and non-comic fans alike and flesh out the cosmic side of things really interestingly to set the stage for even more interesting stories going forward.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best parts of the trailer are when they're very clearly aping the Man of Steel cinematography for the flashbacks to her as a child.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
The trailer has grown on me. I'm still disappointed that it doesn't look more evolved than the standard MCU fare. The tone of the actual movie could be completely different, however.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Short excerpt from Reddit person who supossedly saw the latest CCXP footage in Brazil. No spoilers, just commenting on Brie's performance in general terms.

So I will say I apologize to brie Larson for doubting her acting and Carol . Those damn trailers do not do her justice and I honestly feel pissed about it. She's very funny and charming, which is why I don't get why the hell they cut those trailers the way they did. Movie is WAYYYY colorful then it looks in the trailers, Carol is not as serious and bland as the trailers portray her. She's actually a smartass and reminded me of starlord maybe even Tony a little with the captain America emotional tie. Beautiful actress!! And a beautiful character!! You root for her and Brie hits all the emotional beats, her face acting is brilliant!. I'm never doubting Fiege again.

Sounding damn good, if true.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Short excerpt from Reddit person who supossedly saw the latest CCXP footage in Brazil. No spoilers, just commenting on Brie's performance in general terms.

Sounding damn good, if true.

The press impressions from that CCXP sound very promising as well.

I stand where I always have since Brie was revealed as Carol: it's going to be an amazing Marvel movie led by the best actor they could have possibly cast. I selfishly relish all the crow the concern trolls will be force-fed.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The press impressions from that CCXP sound very promising as well.

I stand where I always have since Brie was revealed as Carol: it's going to be an amazing Marvel movie led by the best actor they could have possibly cast. I selfishly relish all the crow the concern trolls will be force-fed.
I dunno if it's fair to call them concern trolls when the trailers Marvel has put out definitely make Brie seem detached and aloof.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't apprehensive after the trailers.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if it's fair to call them concern trolls when the trailers Marvel has put out definitely make Brie seem detached and aloof.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't apprehensive after the trailers.
Eh... I get where you are coming from, and that's fair. I guess I just see that they are holding a lot back (for reasons) and am a bit biased because I am a huge fan of Brie's previous work, and also of Carol Danvers.

I can see how, in a vacuum, these trailers can feel off the mark for others. The tone is a bit off, perhaps. She DOES seem detached and aloof.

I am just really psyched for this film in weird ways, and that makes me say hyperbolic things about it, probably because I am reading things into it that the trailers did not convey.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh... I get where you are coming from, and that's fair. I guess I just see that they are holding a lot back (for reasons) and am a bit biased because I am a huge fan of Brie's previous work, and also of Carol Danvers.

I can see how, in a vacuum, these trailers can feel off the mark for others. The tone is a bit off, perhaps. She DOES seem detached and aloof.

I am just really psyched for this film in weird ways, and that makes me say hyperbolic things about it, probably because I am reading things into it that the trailers did not convey.
Yeah, my thought process going into the trailers was, "who the fuck is Captain Marvel and why should I care about her?" I imagine that's how most felt too.

Still, I said the same about Ant-Man and GotG. But then the trailers delivered, so I was on board. With CM I'm still like, man... I want to believe...

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my thought process going into the trailers was, "who the fuck is Captain Marvel and why should I care about her?" I imagine that's how most felt too.

Still, I said the same about Ant-Man and GotG. But then the trailers delivered, so I was on board. With CM I'm still like, man... I want to believe...
It's gonna be good. Bookmark this and future shame me otherwise. <3

Jun 7, 2018
I've always felt that the DCU uniforms look more like cheaply costumes you would find at a store rather than something a superhero would wear. Marvel did a great job bringing their comic book costumes into reality whereas DC just doesn't have the vision for the big screen. Nolan's Batman came the closest to anything that could have been grounded to reality. Personally, I think DC should stick to Animation and make that their Universe.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
This is the least excited I am for a MCU film in a long time. Never read the comics, so I don't know, but is Carol Danvers supposed to be an unlikable character? In these trailers alone, I dislike how arrogant and rude (and bland) she is, and I'm starting to dread the idea that Marvel builds up 10 years of fantastic characters with intricate stories and connections and development, and in the end, this one character introduced this late and deep in the phase, and have her steal the spot light, defeat Thanos and saves the day.