• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
You know what else happened with Black Panther and Wonder Woman? Anyone with honert criticism got lumped in with the trolls and it ruined any critical discourse.

Maybe what you thought was "honest criticism" wasn't if you were being honest with yourself and that's why you felt lumped in with trolls?

If you identify with the trolls so easily, maybe that's a personal issue you can work on improving?

I'm really not sure why anyone is upset trolls are getting dunked on when they hijacked the conversation in the first place. If people could have enjoyed the marketing of these films without that bullshit, we wouldn't be here

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Is the movie actually good? Or is everyone just caught up in the hype?

its solid, i enjoyed it all the way through.

But i think this movie truly made me realize just how boring or burned out superhero movies are becoming. It's all starting to feel very similar in the way they do them.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I'm confused to some of the reactions over the movie. I personally loved it, my fiancee said it didn't hold her interests. I thought it was better than a majority of MCU films lol.

Saudade

Oct 26, 2017
sz0ab0j.png

2a1e7e412a4a749aa884fe1016d4e9d0e98ed0a4r1-268-270_00.gif

The damage control begins
Shit's crazy. I've never seen this type of videos, but when I watched the post-credit scene on YT today (missed it in theater), 2 of the recommended videos were about how Brie Larsons is ruining the MCU and how Captain Marvel compares unfavorably to Alita because of the feminist stuff (or at least that's what I got from their titles, wouldn't dare play them lest more similar stuff start showing up).

On the film, I actually liked it more than I thought I would - all the impressions around made it seem like a mediocre film but it turns out to be a solid story with some great feminist subtext. It doesn't quite hit the heights of Black Panther and is still trapped within the confines of a safe studio film, but it was worth my time and I'm glad I did my part to contribute to its BO success (watched it in IMAX too).

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I dont know man, I was hypercritical of both Ant Man films

Maybe the truth is that 4 out of 5 Marvel movies really are just okay. Maybe I can say that and still be a fan of the MCU and enjoy myself regardless. I can still try to be objective when assessing a film, even when I enjoyed the viewing experience.

You know what else happened with Black Panther and Wonder Woman? Anyone with honert criticism got lumped in with the trolls and it ruined any critical discourse.

It can't be that the movie was just okay, you must be a bigot.
Though blackpanther and WonderWoman did get criticism for weak third acts, many fans acknowledge that though I'll admit I have seen fans who have done who don't take criticism well
Maybe what you thought was "honest criticism" wasn't if you were being honest with yourself and that's why you felt lumped in with trolls?

If you identify with the trolls so easily, maybe that's a personal issue you can work on improving?

I'm really not sure why anyone is upset trolls are getting dunked on when they hijacked the conversation in the first place. If people could have enjoyed the marketing of these films without that bullshit, we wouldn't be here
He is allowed to not like those movies, they do have flaws and not every opinion on those movies have to revolve around the internet troll war, you put in quotations honest criticism as if there's no criticism to be had in those movies

Oct 31, 2017
Though blackpanther and WonderWoman did get criticism for weak third acts, many fans acknowledge that though I'll admit I have seen fans who have done who don't take criticism well

He is allowed to not like those movies, they do have flaws and not every opinion on those movies have to revolve around the internet troll war, you put in quotations honest criticism as if there's no criticism to be had in those movies

Because most of the criticism aren't very honest like sweeping statements that are just wrong on their face like "bad action" and "bad cgi"

and of course he's allowed to not like any movie, no one is begging for approval but please don't shit on something because other people enjoy it and claim to be the rational one.

I would respect people a lot more if they just admitted that X, Y, Z isn't necessarily for them instead of claiming X, Y, Z is overrated or wildly misusing the word "mediocre"

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Because most of the criticism aren't very honest like sweeping statements that are just wrong on their face like "bad action" and "bad cgi"

and of course he's allowed to not like any movie, no one is begging for approval but please don't shit on something because other people enjoy it and claim to be the rational one.

I would respect people a lot more if they just admitted that X, Y, Z isn't necessarily for them instead of claiming X, Y, Z is overrated or wildly misusing the word "mediocre"
I wasn't speaking on the people who constantly shit on a movie, I believe you should state your criticism at least once then move on

Oct 31, 2017
I wasn't speaking on the people who constantly shit on a movie, I believe you should state your criticism at least once then move on

I was speaking on the idea that "honest criticism" was lumped in with trolls, when too much of the supposedly "honest criticism" just wasn't honest and is influenced by never-ending trolling to the point where "sub-par CGI in the third act"(an honest critique) became "terrible cgi" and "bad action"( the more commonly claimed so called honest "critiques" that clearly aren't)

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Man I didn't know the only thing that mattered about these movies was the action scenes.

Wasn't the main meat of Black Panther that is was a social and historic commentary and a window into African American and African culture and mindset?

It's just dumb to base your opinion on these movies with the action scenes as the base. Marvel movies have never been that great with the spectacle other than Winter Soldier, Infinity War, IM3, and maybe Avengers 1?
Did I say it's the only thing? No. But acting like black panther is 12 days a slave is pretty hyperbolic. And when I see a marvel movie I do expect entertainment and spectacle yes. You're forgetting Iron man 1, 2, 3, Thor ragnarok, Thor 1/2, I'm having a hard time thinking of a marvel movie with weaker action and spectacle than BP.

How was Black Panther's action "abysmal"? Outside of the CGI train fight.
The car chase/club fight was ok. Then you had a semi decent fish fight between the two main characters and then the ending which was filled with sub par rushed cgi that looked eye rollingly bad. The ending action or lack of also cheapened the villain and his nonsensical decision at the end made it even worse. Just my 2 cents

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
local ComicsGate asshole and former DC Comics artist Ethan Van Sciver seems to be taking Captain Marvel's release well...

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I was speaking on the idea that "honest criticism" was lumped in with trolls, when too much of the supposedly "honest criticism" just wasn't honest and is influenced by never-ending trolling to the point where "sub-par CGI in the third act"(an honest critique) became "terrible cgi" and "bad action"( the more commonly claimed so called honest "critiques" that clearly aren't)
huh? CGI was terrible. so what if it wasn't said as "subpar CGI"? that makes one a troll because semantics? to a lot of people, the CGI was so fake and terrible. why must the use of superlatives to get a point across suddenly becomes branded as a troll? the CGI towards the end was just bad, period. that, plus the cinematography of that last fight. you couldn't tell what the hell was going on because the blending of CGI elements was so bad. Bumblebee had better CGI. when someone says, "oh bp had bad cgi esp the last 1/3" you go, "you're a troll. it's subpar."? might be subpar to you but it's bad for others, doesn't make them trolls.

heard/read cap marvel is just an okay, painfully average movie. tbh, i support movies like this but i mean they make so much money they better be at least way above average and the best they can be. to me it seems like okay you support the plight and you're all for it - but does the box office actually reflect the quality? it's important that the mainstream supports this but in perspective, there are and have been so many women-centered films that were/are better than cap marvel but don't even get a fraction of attention and box office - so there's that. grats to cap marvel, tho. i think i feel the same way with crazy rich asians. i watched it to support it but wow it was a painfully mediocre film. you can watch asian romcoms from 15 years ago that are better, really.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
local ComicsGate asshole and former DC Comics artist Ethan Van Sciver seems to be taking Captain Marvel's release well...

hahahaha that's just sad. they seriously are mad a woman-starrer comic book movie did well? feels like these sad individuals already made their decision before the film even hit the theatres.

Leithkorias

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't want to waist my time and money on a film that isn't that good. That's why I asked. 🙂

An honest opinion from someone who didnt give a rat's ass about the trolls? It wasn't bad but wasn't very good either. Worse than ant man and the wasp. Seemed like it had the lowest budget of all the films so far tho i have no idea what its budget was. Sound effects and visuals are below average with the sounds (effects/music) being very bad. Thought the rhinos (or whatever) in black panther were bad? Wait till you see cg captain....The story was slow and predictable. Lots of forced humorp. Not much really happens at all. A synopsis would take a sentence or two. But if you're a fan of the universe you should still see it. You'll probably at least have a good time.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm basically the living embodiment of these alt-right gamergater comic book nerds. I'm a gay dude who hasn't seen any MCU movies (except for GotG) and primarily saw this because of the female lead and women-backed crew. And I had a really wonderful time watching this! Might go see it again just to really drive home the point.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cared about the trolls. If you brigaded a movie you hadn't seen because your jimmies were genuinely rustled by a chromosome - or more likely because your "friends " (who would burn you to the ground for the merest whisper of dissent btw, and will never lift their least husky finger to help you IRL) are all group angry at marvel for trying to force skirts and sjw into your "now violated childhood " then the problem is between the keyboard and the chair.

But I was disappointed in the film because of high expectations sure, but also some clumsy mechanical issues with the dialogue and the tone.

The final quarter of the movie picks up the pace and I can't wait for my ten year old daughter to see it on Saturday. It's for her.

The bits I found lame (Rambeau farmstead and
lil skrulls and least surprising heel turn in movie history beating even Senator Sheev Palpatine for "of courseness")
will be the very things she loves.

The two or three things I irrationally can't let go of though are

The REAL Agent Coulson being a far more incompetent and potentially dangerous traitor than the Skrull version even with Sam's excruciatingly on the nose exposition of how actually noble and brave it was for him to miss most of what happened and then disobey direct orders and let a dangerous "alien" and a "treacherous " agent just run away.

The weirdly vague combination of "Light speed engine" (something marvel jobbers violate trivially with wormholes and ships all the time) and Carol's powers. It's a rare superhero film that doesn't actually even bother trying to explain or contextualize them - and the name of the engine itself sounds like a placeholder someone forgot to replace.

I also don't know anything about Kree or Skrull politics and backstory so I don't know if that was a twist for hardcore comic fans. Mendelshon was good but he and all the Skrulls voices were badly affected by the prosthetics and it was glaring for me.

I obviously need to wiki the Accusers too.

The last fifteen minutes were really fun though and ironically Carol was channeling my favorite OG StarLord comic cover.

And the mid credit (first) sequence was pure hopium.

You could literally throw cliff notes versions of the New Testament at a sticky toffee wall and very likely land on a paragraph about this precise topic where Jesus is not stuttering.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
The REAL Agent Coulson being a far more incompetent and potentially dangerous traitor than the Skrull version even with Sam's excruciatingly on the nose exposition of how actually noble and brave it was for him to miss most of what happened and then disobey direct orders and let a dangerous "alien" and a "treacherous " agent just run away.

The weirdly vague combination of "Light speed engine" (something marvel jobbers violate trivially with wormholes and ships all the time) and Carol's powers. It's a rare superhero film that doesn't actually even bother trying to explain or contextualize them - and the name of the engine itself sounds like a placeholder someone forgot to replace.

I also don't know anything about Kree or Skrull politics and backstory so I don't know if that was a twist for hardcore comic fans. Mendelshon was good but he and all the Skrulls voices were badly affected by the prosthetics and it was glaring for me.

I obviously need to wiki the Accusers too.

The Kree-Skrull war is pretty known to old school dorks and this follows that-ish. The misdirection came from a lot of people assuming they'd do Secret Invasion where the Skrulls are pure baddies.
Also for me the twist and I bet a lot of other comic followers was easy to see if you have prior knowledge of the characters on Carols team were. Minerva and Yonrog are known villains and even in the movies we know Ronan and Djimon Honsou end up as baddies too.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I really loved the movie. More than I thought I would, really want to watch it again. Glad to see it is doing well.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Kree-Skrull war is pretty known to old school dorks and this follows that-ish. The misdirection came from a lot of people assuming they'd do Secret Invasion where the Skrulls are pure baddies.
Also for me the twist and I bet a lot of other comic followers was easy to see if you have prior knowledge of the characters on Carols team were. Minerva and Yonrog are known villains and even in the movies we know Ronan and Djimon Honsou end up as baddies too.

Thanks- that's what I was wondering. It's funny how this origin movie actually demands the most connective information of all the marvel films except endgame

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the Kree-Skrull twist. All the end game production photo leaks had me believe it would be that the Skrulls are the baddies.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Christ, do I even want to know?

EvilLore said:
Step aside, Rey. Carol is the quintessential Mary Sue. The entire world revolves around her and bends to her whims. There is no dramatic tension, no conflict, no highs or lows. Brie Larson smirks and BURRRRRRRRs her photon blast at something or someone and the situation resolves entirely in her favor instantly. BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR .....................
BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

0/10

Yikes

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So...he did go to see it in the cinema then.
He must have "seen it for free" like all the other trolls who miraculously saw the movie opening weekend, giving Marvel money just to complain about it.
There sure are a lot of people who have seemingly "seen it for free"... Makes me wonder how Marvel expects to make any money on this obvious box office bomb.

He said he didn't want to go see it, but went with a friend who wanted to.
Seems awfully convenient lol