• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Do we know yet if the data from the Mario 3D Land stages are still present in the Switch version?

I've heard speculation of a potential unlock in the future.

Not sure, or at least nobody found data. My hope is if 3D World is ported to Switch in the future, they'll add those stages back.

I get the feeling Nintendo doesn't want people to play through 3D World stages when the game is not on Switch.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure, or at least nobody found data. My hope is if 3D World is ported to Switch in the future, they'll add those stages back.

I get the feeling Nintendo doesn't want people to play through 3D World stages when the game is not on Switch.
I don't think it's that. Those levels always felt very tacked on anyway, so I think the addition of the Odyssey levels made them feel like they could remove the 3D World levels. I don't think you'll ever see them added back in.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the Bonus Book levels all struck me as being relatively quick additions to the game quite late in development to pad out player's overall time with the game. 3D World levels all felt like they were intended as a neat cross promotional bonus rather than levels designed to fit the gameplay of Captain Toad.

The Odyssey levels are the best levels in the Bonus Book because they were designed from the ground up.

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
Oh man, I -really- hate the end level of episode 3.

I don't move on from a level until I have 100%, but this one is irritating because you lose all your gold if you die, it's a really patient, slow stage, and the ending battle is bullshit where he can zap you while you are trying to get radishes and stuff, so more than a few times I've arrived at the end with the necessary gold after painstakingly taking the level super, super slowly, and then lose it all when I get zapped.

GreySquirrel

Oct 27, 2017
Well, each stage has three gems, and a hidden objective that is revealed after you beat it, plus pixel toad and gold mushroom I think?

Anyway, the gems go towards unlocks of the bonus levels and of course, more chapters. The hidden objective and other stuff is just challenges.

Cheers! Finding this game surprisingly addictive. It's so easy just to say "OK, one more stage"

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any tricks for doing the 150 coins run on Magma Road Marathon? This is sooooo annoying

Oct 25, 2017
Playing this game and hearing this awesome music makes me want a 3DWorld remaster for the Switch. Best Mario game ever made....yes I just said that ^^

Nov 18, 2017
I'm near the end of Episode 3 and.... nope I'm abandoning it.

I noped out of Super Mario 3D World too. And feel much the same about this. I'm just not enjoying it.

The first half of the game is cute but poses no challenge whatsoever. In order to add challenge later on, they introduce some frustrating gameplay decisions: restarting from the beginning of a level on death, forcing you to repeat sections again and again. Awkwardly co-ordinating touch-pad movement with character movement to rotate a stage and avoid obstacles: not fun, and that awful lava sprinting stage, which reminds me of similar level in 3D World. Ultimately the lack of movement abilities makes Toad restrictive and no fun to play as. I've been acing most levels but I hate the way story progression is locked behind gems collected. I'm 10 behind and have no desire to go back and replay old levels to find them.

Too many others games to play rather than stick with something I'm not enjoying. It's a cute idea with potential though.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
How do you unlock the very last episodes at the end of the Bonus book? The last one I have is "Mummy-Me at Pyropuff Peak," and the rest of the pages look like locked levels. Do you have to finish the Bonus challenges on every level in the game? I have the max amount of current treasures (204).

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How do you unlock the very last episodes at the end of the Bonus book? The last one I have is "Mummy-Me at Pyropuff Peak," and the rest of the pages look like locked levels. Do you have to finish the Bonus challenges on every level in the game? I have the max amount of current treasures (204).

Yeah you need to do the bonus challenges. Don't worry about Pixel Toads, they're just a fun bonus.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are those levels worth it? Are they extra hard or something?

There's a couple really quick bonus levels, and then there's one really difficult "finale" level left to unlock. If you want to go for 100% then do it, it should add a couple hours to your playtime. Else you aren't missing out on major content with the game.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
playing this for the first time after finishing kirby. the game is so good, and it has such a charming style. the system for doing one extra goal that's revealed after finishing the level and then finding pixel toad is also great for playing the levels more than once. the puzzles themselves are well designed but a bit basic (i'm at the end of world 1 so maybe things will get more challenging).

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Man I forgot how insanely hard the 50 room Mummy Maze is.

Those fire piranha plants are a pain in the ass. Same with the Shy Guys when they are hidden.

I managed to beat it but I got a really good string of luck where several of the rooms with the fire plants had a easy to spot route to the exit and only one of them on that path.

That and I managed to only take damage a room or two before 10,20 & 35.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
In light of today's announcement I may have to dive back in. Dropped it when I realised I would rather play on Wii U, but the extra content and co-op will help justify it on my Switch.

Did they ever release patches for this game though? Was disappointed on release when I couldn't use my controller's gyro for the mine cart sections when docked

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
the game didn't have any patches until today.

anyway, good to see El Capitan Todd getting new content. i didn't think they'd do it. i completed the first 2 episodes 100% last year but didn't continue. guess now it's a good time to go back.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I loved playing this game through last year. Was one of the surprise games I played, as I really didn't like the 3D World levels with Captain Toad. So seeing more levels getting released as DLC are must buys for me. I look forward to getting home and picking them up.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's great news. It did sometimes annoy me when playing docked, so nice to see they changed that. DLC is really nicely priced, so I look forward to jumping into the game again tomorrow.

bread

Nov 17, 2018
The dessert world looks absolutely delicious.
Still need to make a decision if I'm going to grab it on 3ds or switch, now that I'm finally getting around to having time for this game.

Edit: looks like the discord link in the op is dead, does anyone have a new link?