• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
It might be a new mutation? If so that's precious news, it might have an impact?

Stuff mutates all the time. We're all mutants. This is probably just a snake doing what snakes can do, even if they rarely do it successfully. It might be significant that this documented instance occurred in a species of a solitary reptile, a particular species that has a visible pregnancy and gives birth unlike nearly all reptiles, and in this instance lives in a zoo enclosure where she can be easily monitored.

These factors tend to weigh heavily towards detection of parthenogenesis, even though it might be just as common or even more common in other complex animals that live in less easily observed conditions.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Lucifer vindicated after all this time. Bless this holy serpent.

I saw a movie once about a hypothetical scenario in which parthenogenesis started happening spontaneously in humans. It became increasingly common until it got to the point where men where no longer necessary and women rounded them all up and banished them to Australia.

magic-symbol-of-ouroboros-tattoo-with-snake-vector-6317728.jpg
Link to her OnlyFans page?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mechanisms for egg production and incubation already exist in healthy female snakes. One possible mechanism for producing a viable embryo without fertilisating the egg is, for instance, to double the mother's chromosomes from the egg, though I don't know whether that's the mechanism involved here. This doubling is a very normal activity within any cell, but tends not to produce viable offspring which is why there aren't a lot of virgin births.

Green anacondas, incidentally, are snakes that incubate and hatch their young inside the body and possess a placenta. This is a rare and only recently confirmed trait. Most other reptiles lay their eggs externally, though some snakes are ovoviviparous, which means they incubate the egg inside the body cavity but do not have a placenta.

Yes but my question was more, how does the animal knows that there are no male around and that it therefore needs to do parthenogenesis to produce offspring?

Evolution in general is easy to understand to me: for example the giraffe has a long neck not because one day it decided to grew its neck, but because among its ancestors those which had a long neck made more offspring than those which had short necks (which died out). But for something like rare parthenogenesis in snakes, I don't understand what the trigger is.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Yes but my question was more, how does the animal knows that there are no male around and that it therefore needs to do parthenogenesis to produce offspring?

The animal doesn't make a conscious choice. There is no big red button in a snake's mind that she has to press, no special procedures she has to follow (healthy snakes have excellent muscle tone so Kegels and Pilates exercises are unnecessary.) She just goes on being a snake, and once in a blue moon, in the right conditions in the right snake, you'll get an incidence of parthenogenesis.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
This is the most mind blowing part of the story to me. Is this supposed to be common knowledge that lizards, sharks, birds, and snakes can do this? what the fuck.

It's not common knowledge, but it's not an uncommon phenomenon, either.

You find it more in smaller organisms than you do you bigger, multicell organisms, though.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
For some strange reason the babies kind of bear a resemblance to the veteran animal handler, Chet.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
parthenogenesis only creates female offspring right?

In reptiles? Yes. In other animals and particularly in insects, the offspring from parthogenesis can be male (bee drones, for instance), female (ants) or both male and female (aphids).

Parthogenesis isn't a single reproduction strategy, it's just a bin into which we sex-obsessed humans throw all the various asexual reproduction strategies.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This either proves Mary was a virgin, or they had no freaking clue how preganancy worked and didn't wash her hands properly and got herself pregnant accidentally.