• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'm really excited for below, and fairly sure the 'delays' will only make the game better.

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
Really looking forward to the two new announcements, I hope at least one of them is a puzzle game, I adored Critter Crunch and Might and Magic.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Below has been vaporware. I've about given up on it. It was in the sizzle reel at X1 launch, and here we are 5 years later.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
So excited for Below. In the years since I played it at PAX (2014?), I've gotten even more involved in games of that style.

Below has been vaporware. I've about given up on it. It was in the sizzle reel at X1 launch, and here we are 5 years later.

Many of us have already played it at live events, let alone closed-door events. This is an update since the specific confirmation it was coming up on completion. No, it's thankfully not vaporware.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
So excited for Below. In the years since I played it at PAX (2014?), I've gotten even more involved in games of that style.

Many of us have already played it at live events, let alone closed-door events. This is an update since the specific confirmation it was coming up on completion. No, it's thankfully not vaporware.

I want to believe. But they have been really shitty about updates. It wasn't even any focus at the Xbox E3 presentation (was shown for like 5 seconds) when originally it was exclusive and a hyped game, now I think it's only timed exclusive and they seem to not care about it.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to believe. But they have been really shitty about updates. It wasn't even any focus at the Xbox E3 presentation (was shown for like 5 seconds) when originally it was exclusive and a hyped game, now I think it's only timed exclusive and they seem to not care about it.
They messed up the reveal. They and Spencer agree that they where showing games way too soon.

They've apologized a lot for the quiet time but have said many times that they won't show more till it's ready. Which is the right thing to do.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
They messed up the reveal. They and Spencer agree that they where showing games way too soon.

They've apologized a lot for the quiet time but have said many times that they won't show more till it's ready. Which is the right thing to do.

Sure, but it shouldn't take 6 years to create a 3/4 view rogue-like, unless it's a literal masterpiece. I hope it is.

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
"The big studio focus is shipping Below, but we also have a couple other titles," Vella says. "We're super interested in getting on all kinds of platforms, like we've always been really big into doing stuff on everywhere. So, some of the new stuff is not necessarily the same platforms that we've been working on in the recent past, which is really fun for the team."

This sounds like a very thinly veiled "we're working on at least one Switch game, but we can't explicitly say that yet" to me.

EDIT: Actually, something worth noting. They're announcing their new games in August. August is potentially a Nindie Direct month.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
It's quite literally not vapourware

"Vaporware is often announced months or years before its purported release, with few details about its development being released. "

va·por·ware
ˈvāpərˌwer/
noun
  1. software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed.

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
At this time, the only reason to be developing an indie game and not include a Switch version is if you have an exclusivity clause somewhere.
Sure, but the fact that Capy felt the need to drop a hint about platforms, combined with the likelihood that we'll get a Nindie Direct during the month they're announcing their games, makes me think it might be more than just a Switch version of a multiplatform title. What if Capy is designing a game specifically for the Switch, or a console exclusive?

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yo let me get another Might and Magic Clash of heroes, even if it's just generic and without the licence.

That game is absurdly good.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but it shouldn't take 6 years to create a 3/4 view rogue-like, unless it's a literal masterpiece. I hope it is.
Like, my entire life is a series of unfortunate events. Every time a game comes out on time I just sit there in awe.

I'm not going to sit outside and point fingers at people and tell them how they should be coming along when I have no idea what their life or working circumstances are...

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Like, my entire life is a series of unfortunate events. Every time a game comes out on time I just sit there in awe.

I'm not going to sit outside and point fingers at people and tell them how they should be coming along when I have no idea what their life or working circumstances are...

I'm waiting for A.N.N.E. I kickstarted it and who knows when it'll come out. It's been 5 years. But it's one guy, so I give him leeway. This is a whole company who can't seem to get a game out within years of promised time. It's ridiculous.

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Vaporware is often announced months or years before its purported release, with few details about its development being released. "

va·por·ware
ˈvāpərˌwer/
noun
  1. software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed.
I mean, he's saying it's coming out this year and tons of people have played it at recent events like PAX and E3. Making it not vaporware. The opposite of the thing you're saying. So stop.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
84.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for A.N.N.E. I kickstarted it and who knows when it'll come out. It's been 5 years. But it's one guy, so I give him leeway. This is a whole company who can't seem to get a game out within years of promised time. It's ridiculous.
Well, I mean everybody knows the more people you throw at something the less complicated it gets.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Capy is a large company. Whether your implication is true or not, it's quicker to program a large game with a team than with a single person.

I'm totally with you. In their last official delay back in the summer of 2016 they vowed that when they next spoke of it there would be a firm release date and there'd be no loose release window

http://www.capybaragames.com/2016/08/a-short-announcement-about-below/

Instead of giving you a new, loose release window, we will be going dark while we take the time that we need to complete BELOW without compromise. The next time you see a major BELOW update, that means our game has a firm release date, which we'll share.

This next 'major' update occurred around March 2018 when a bunch of previews and coverage began to be released from a few sites, a full year and a half after the delay, and since then there hasn't been a single firm release date, despite E3 passing.

After all that and a massively overdue product, they're ready to announce not one, but two games.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I'm totally with you. In their last official delay back in the summer of 2016 they vowed that when they next spoke of it there would be a firm release date and there'd be no loose release window

http://www.capybaragames.com/2016/08/a-short-announcement-about-below/

This next 'major' update occurred around March 2018 when a bunch of previews and coverage began to be released from a few sites, a full year and a half after the delay, and since then there hasn't been a single firm release date, despite E3 passing.

After all that and a massively overdue product, they're ready to announce not one, but two games.

I'm with you.

Is that supposed to be a problem?

Yes, because it is a bit insulting to those who have been waiting for years. If they can announce these others, they should be done with Below and give a release date.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Have a feeling Below won't be a critical or commercial success. I remember initially liking how it looked back in 2013, but then as more info about it trickled it, it sounded less and less like a game I'd like.

Just feels like the super long development time combined with so little info being drip fed will just hurt this one.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I'm with you

Yes, because it is a bit insulting to those who have been waiting for years. If they can announce these others, they should be done with Below and give a release date.

Why are you insulted? What is insulting about being told that other games are being worked on?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you.

Different teams within the company working on different games.

If you feel insulted by that i don't think i can say anything to change your mind because honestly, that doesn't make any sense.

Still doesn't make any sense.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Different teams within the company working on different games.

If you feel insulted by that i don't think i can say anything to change your mind because honestly, that doesn't make any sense.

Still doesn't make any sense.

It is counter to good faith that all resources are being put into getting this 6 year old game out.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Below looks very promising. I don't mind that the devs take their time. The result will be great!

Oct 26, 2017

va·por·ware
ˈvāpərˌwer/
noun
Below is not vapourware. Deep Down is vapourware. Agent is vapourware. Possession is vapourware.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
That's a pretty ignorant thing to say. Imagine yourself going up to the devs toiling away and saying "it shouldn't take you 6 years to make your game". They're the ones that would feel insulted.