• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

S_Dev

Oct 26, 2017

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
2010 Holden Commodore SS for reference (the car in the OP is a lower trim)
2006-2009_Holden_VE_Commodore_SS_V_sedan_%282010-12-28%29.jpg

2015? Chevy SS

140429898-2.jpg

If a Chevy SS they did a lot more than put a badge on it.
The Chevy SS is a newer generation than that Commodore. The Pontiac G8 was based on that gen, though.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
6eR5TxB.jpg

My brain can't quite reconcile this image.
This is actually tamed af compared to other stuff that's out there looking like space rockets that belong in The Fast and Furious franchise lol

The only thing I see that they changed was the tail lights and wheels, otherwise I don't see what's wrong besides you hating/hardcore judging on the car šŸ¤£

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
That top trim Holden posted earlier looks kinda nice from the back.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
2010 Holden Commodore SS for reference (the car in the OP is a lower trim)
2006-2009_Holden_VE_Commodore_SS_V_sedan_%282010-12-28%29.jpg

2015? Chevy SS

140429898-2.jpg

If a Chevy SS they did a lot more than put a badge on it.
2015 Holden Commodore SS, they pretty much just changed the badge. Chevy Impala, Chevy SS and Pontiac G8 all share the Australian platform with US built powerplants.

2016-holden-commodore_100527266.jpg

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So these Holden cars are basically rebranded GM cars, but they've somehow reached a cult like status in the US because it's rare to see them imported here, despite the fact that their GM counterparts are plentiful?

This is the strangest car craze I've ever seen. It looks just like a regular ass car.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
So these Holden cars are basically rebranded GM cars, but they've somehow reached a cult like status in the US because it's rare to see them imported here, despite the fact that their GM counterparts are plentiful?

This is the strangest car craze I've ever seen. It looks just like a regular ass car.
It's the other way around.

The cars are Australian designed (frame and body), customized for the US market. Holden is owned by GM. In Australia, they use the US designed Ecotec and LS engines. Ironically, their Australian counterparts often have a chev badge thrown on them.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the other way around.

The cars are Australian designed (frame and body), customized for the US market. Holden is owned by GM. In Australia, they use the US designed Ecotec and LS engines. Ironically, their Australian counterparts often have a chev badge thrown on them.

Hmm, I'm still not quite sure I understand, but hearing that the Australians like to throw Chevy badges on their car, I think I'm just going to chalk it up to people liking fancy exotic badges on their cars.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Hmm, I'm still not quite sure I understand, but hearing that the Australians like to throw Chevy badges on their car, I think I'm just going to chalk it up to people liking fancy exotic badges on their cars.
It's not really confusing.

Chevrolet and Pontiac aren't in the Australian market. Holden engineers designed everything but the drivetrain of the Holden Commodore, Statesmen and Monaro, they were rebadged and sold as the Chevrolet SS/Pontiac G8, Chevrolet Impala and Pontiac GTO respectively.

People stupidly swap over the badges because they're part one brand and part of another (engine or body).

For example, the one on the left was first sold in Australia in 2001, the one on the right entered the US market in 2004. It likely goes without saying, but as soon as it launched in the US, some people went ahead and imported a new grill.
Monaro-vs-GTO-front2.jpg

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017

People just like their cars to stand out. Rebadges are really common.

For instance you'll see older model Acura TSXs rebadged as Honda Euro Rs all the time at car meets. It's essentially what you do when you want to tinker on your car more but don't want to spend a ton or you've ran out of mods to install. Well that or you're embarrassed by your car's brand. It's become a trend for Kia Stinger owners to get the Korean badge so that people can't tell it's a KIA.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It's not really confusing.

Chevrolet and Pontiac aren't in the Australian market. Holden engineers designed everything but the drivetrain of the Holden Commodore, Statesmen and Monaro, they were rebadged and sold as the Chevrolet SS/Pontiac G8, Chevrolet Impala and Pontiac GTO respectively.

People stupidly swap over the badges because they're part one brand and part of another (engine or body).

For example, the one on the left was first sold in Australia in 2001, the one on the right entered the US market in 2004. It likely goes without saying, but as soon as it launched in the US, some people went ahead and imported a new grill.
Monaro-vs-GTO-front2.jpg

To be fair, the Monaro front looks better than the Pontiac front. I'd do the swap too.

Holden, Chevy, and Pontiac are all GM brands, its just that they have different brands in different markets. The car in the OP is sold as a pontiac in the US and a Holden in Australia. But its the same car. So people can just swap the badges and front bumpers if they want. People do it because they like to have something that others don't, or in the case of styling differences, they might just like it better.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Those GTOs weren't much to look at, but man are they fast cars. Very nearly gave thought to buying one several years back, many you find for sale have been hammered on so hard though.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you just love OPs with contextless pictures or no explanation whatsoever? I still don't know what I'm supposed to see here. Is it because there's snow and the car doesn't have chains on its tires? I give up.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Those GTOs weren't much to look at, but man are they fast cars. Very nearly gave thought to buying one several years back, many you find for sale have been hammered on so hard though.
They make for a great sleeper. Well, until you hear it. It looks like a regular Pontiac coupe, but sounds like a Corvette. Honestly, I think they look fine. I like classic muscle cars, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that that GTO didn't look like one. Muscle cars were just regular cars with big engines, anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
2015 Holden Commodore SS, they pretty much just changed the badge. Chevy Impala, Chevy SS and Pontiac G8 all share the Australian platform with US built powerplants.

2016-holden-commodore_100527266.jpg

That's not the car in the OP. I am aware of GM using Opel/Holden designs in the US 2008 onward.

The Chevy SS is a newer generation than that Commodore. The Pontiac G8 was based on that gen, though.

Yes, this is what i was getting at. OP said SS rebadged. That was my proof that it wasn't.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
That's not the car in the OP. I am aware of GM using Opel/Holden designs in the US 2008 onward.

Yes, this is what i was getting at. OP said SS rebadged. That was my proof that it wasn't.
The Holden Commodore has an SS version, as seen in the first picture I responded with. Yes, the G8 is rebadged, as is the Chevrolet SS. You posted a completely different year as a comparison. Only difference is the spoiler for the VE model line, SS interior trims were the same as the standard Commodore (at least equivalent to the Berlina line). Standard commodores lacked a rear diffuser (which is on the G8 and SS). From memory, the G8 had partial leather as well, which was an upgrade from the SS which was cloth interior in the base model.

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Glad I'm not the only one who misread the title as Cat era. Cars were a big disappointment. I have no idea of what I'm supposed to see in that picture.