• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

MidtownCars.png

MidtownAllianceData.jpg

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
If it's anything like the major cities here it's simply easier and cheaper to take public transport.

I don't drive to work because the congestion, finding parking, parking costs etc is just a pain in the ass.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
If it's anything like the major cities here it's simply easier and cheaper to take public transport.

I don't drive to work because the congestion, finding parking, parking costs etc is just a pain in the ass.

If only it was easier to use public transit here. It's fucking horrible in Atlanta, and the traffic there is horrendous.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I totally understand not wanting to own a car in the city. I don't understand not having a license though as I've met several adults from NYC who think it's a badge of honor not to have one for some reason.

Living in Nola it's easy to not have a car. Same as Boston and Houston from my experience especially when you see articles detailing how many people are defaulting on their car loans or over extend themselves with what they buy. Car sharing services work pretty well and rentals aren't too expensive for a weekend.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
If only it was easier to use public transit here. It's fucking horrible in Atlanta, and the traffic there is horrendous.
That's the issue I have. Unless you work downtown in Houston, public transport is just awful. And even then you still need to own a car to get to the park & ride to catch the bus.

I'd kill for good public transport here.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Here in Nashville we voted down a transportation expansion bills because some business owners & their fear-mongering shot it down, so it will be a cold day in hell before we ever make any improvement in this city. I'm really hoping Atlanta does something for their citizens.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I remember once trying to leave Atlanta on a Sunday morning....we lost a lot of good men that day...the screams still haunt me

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No shit people are looking for alternatives. If MARTA were better I'd use it over putting my car in these horrendous traffic conditions every weekday.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could drive less. Gotta take the kid to school 2 cities over and also drive downtown to work and back

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Here in Nashville we voted down a transportation expansion bills because some business owners & their fear-mongering shot it down, so it will be a cold day in hell before we ever make any improvement in this city. I'm really hoping Atlanta does something for their citizens.

So did the city block future light rail expansions?

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Because the human beings that designed the roads in Atlanta and its surrounding areas deserve to rot for how shitty these roads are.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Because the human beings that designed the roads in Atlanta and its surrounding areas deserve to rot for how shitty these roads are.

yeah... a big part of traffic that I see in midtown -> buckhead is that non cars don't really have lanes. So they have to SingleWheel hoverboard shit in the driving lanes, or ride on fucked up sidewalks...which is probably illegal. I understand how so many people get killed on their bikes. People have to be aware of them, temper their speed, and maneuver around.

Atl needs at least 1.5 more lane so that asshole making a left over a double yellow doesn't ruin it for everyone miles back.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Our's was just to greatly expand the bus routes and bus times so that more people had access, but rich business owners bitched about how their companies would somehow be negatively impacted, so people fell for it and voted it down.

Sounds like the same shit they tried to pull in Phoenix. Only the Koch Brothers tried to pull the plug on all light rail extensions. Thank god Prop 105 was shot down.

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
yeah... a big part of traffic that I see in midtown -> buckhead is that non cars don't really have lanes. So they have to SingleWheel hoverboard shit in the driving lanes, or ride on fucked up sidewalks...which is probably illegal. I understand how so many people get killed on their bikes. People have to be aware of them, temper their speed, and maneuver around.

Atl needs at least 1.5 more lane so that asshole making a left over a double yellow doesn't ruin it for everyone miles back.
What throws me for a loop is how bad the roads are even outside of the super densely populated areas. Like, grass barriers in between sides of the road that could EASILY constitute 3 more lanes of traffic, and yet I'm going 15 mph in the middle of the day because trucks are in the left lane and people scared to be on the road are in the right lane.

The traffic lights don't even have sensors where I'm living, which is nuts to me. I've waited 4 minutes for a green light when I was the only person on the road before.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
About fucking time. This city is way overrun with automobiles as it is. Now how about actually building a mass transit infrastructure in town that's actually worth a damn, Atlanta?

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
That's the issue I have. Unless you work downtown in Houston, public transport is just awful. And even then you still need to own a car to get to the park & ride to catch the bus.

I'd kill for good public transport here.

Sitting in traffic now just trying to get to a park and ride. 10 min drive taking over 30 minutes. :)

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I live in Louisville and we're not very "non driving" friendly but even here I could use a combination of a bike/dockless scooter for 98% of the travel I do, and then Uber or something for the rest. That would be insanely cheaper than the car payment/insurance/gas/maintenance I pay yearly. Seriously considering ditching my car in the near future.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Public transportation is why I miss living in NYC. Yeah, their transportation system could definitely use improvements for meeting time requirements and efficiency, but I NEVER had to worry about getting anywhere because there were subway entrances all over. I loved not having to own a car.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
lmao.
Do not pray to the MARTA gods for mercy.
There is none left.

Trying to navigate the big-city life with a busted-ass public transportation backbone ain't the life I'm trying to live.
As much as I harp about Atlanta traffic, MARTA gets me even more heated.

I loved not having to own a car.

This is something I wish I could do.
Living in Atlanta for the past 20 years has nurtured an abject fear of not having my own private transportation.
I actually can't imagine not owning a car.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I live in Louisville and we're not very "non driving" friendly but even here I could use a combination of a bike/dockless scooter for 98% of the travel I do, and then Uber or something for the rest. That would be insanely cheaper than the car payment/insurance/gas/maintenance I pay yearly. Seriously considering ditching my car in the near future.

You can make just about any city walkable, it just takes more effort in some places.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Marta should have been bigger and also extended to Cobb, but that would make too much sense.
Well... the racists, you know?

I travel to Atlanta 1-2x per month, end up staying in Midtown/Downtown on a rotating basis. I use a fair amount of MARTA to and from the airport and it MOSTLY goes where I need it to... but I can't get all over... I'm always surprised at local people's reaction when I say I use it. They don't believe me usually... then I whip out my Breeze Card.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I lived in ATL a bit for my first job and I really liked the MARTA, but that was only because I worked directly downtown/Midtown (it's been 3 years so I can't remember which one it was lol) so it was perfect for me.

I still had to drive to the MARTA station and park my car, though. I live somewhere else now and I would kill for some decent public transportation.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I totally understand not wanting to own a car in the city. I don't understand not having a license though as I've met several adults from NYC who think it's a badge of honor not to have one for some reason.

Living in Nola it's easy to not have a car. Same as Boston and Houston from my experience especially when you see articles detailing how many people are defaulting on their car loans or over extend themselves with what they buy. Car sharing services work pretty well and rentals aren't too expensive for a weekend.
I had a perpetual learner's permit in NYC.

Had zero need for a DL.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I lived in the city I probably wouldn't use a car very often. However I live in the suburbs so a vehicle is required.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I still own a car but I live a stones throw away from a Marta station so I ride the train every chance I get (either within walking distance to my destination or close enough to take an Uber to cover the remaining distance).

I pretty much exclusively drive to work or anywhere outside of Marta's reach.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
There are very few hours during any day where Midtown isn't gridlocked all to hell, so this is a good thing. Now only if the racist white folks in Cobb would finally let MARTA expand there.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you have to have someone in the car with you that had a license when you drove? What makes you not get a license?
Yes, you need a licensed driver in the vehicle when you drive. I just had almost no reason to drive in NYC and when traveling outside of the 5 boros there was always someone else that had a license going too.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, you need a licensed driver in the vehicle when you drive. I just had almost no reason to drive in NYC and when traveling outside of the 5 boros there was always someone else that had a license going too.

This is actually more common than people realize. Driving to the city is a giant pain in the ass, and there are enough transportation options to make not owning a vehicle plausible. Which I love about the city. I would still have a license regardless, since my cousins who moved from NYC to Florida were completely fucked.

Last edited:

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica

I visit Louisville once a month to see my fiancee and we have thought of using the public buses if we ever need to go downtown. It seems to really help out a lot of folks there who couldn't afford a car to get around.

I live in West Kentucky, so a car is mandatory to live out here. I checked into any transportation to get me to Louisville and back, and the cheapest I found was $70 one way bus ticket. 3 and half hour trips there then back is a killer...

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I visit Louisville once a month to see my fiancee and we have thought of using the public buses if we ever need to go downtown. It seems to really help out a lot of folks there who couldn't afford a car to get around.

I live in West Kentucky, so a car is mandatory to live out here. I checked into any transportation to get me to Louisville and back, and the cheapest I found was $70 one way bus ticket. 3 and half hour trips there then back is a killer...
The buses are great if you aren't in a rush and know how they work. Growing up in rural Kentucky, this wasn't a skill I came equipped with when I moved to Louisville and so I had some interesting adventures on TARC buses.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is actually more common that people realize. Driving to the city is a giant pain in the ass, and there are enough transportation options to make not owning a vehicle plausible. Which I love about the city. I would still have a license regardless, since my cousins who moved from NYC to Florida were completely fucked.
i got one when i moved to GA

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I don't blame them. If there were more stops and buses were more frequent where I lived I would seriously cut back on the amount of driving I do. Sadly I think the only way to make that feasible would be to massively redevelop the area and increase density.